• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
A General Direct next week is basically all but confirmed now

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A General Direct next week is basically all but confirmed now

Not really. Although it seems more likely, it’s not confirmed.

Remember when there was that 2 directs in February leak and people were putting all their eggs into the general direct after animal crossing direct basket and nothing happened.

I’m not even sure why I should take this guy seriously over more notable leakers like Zell (and yes I know he retired from leaking).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Not really. Although it seems more likely, it’s not confirmed.

Remember when there was that 2 directs in February leak and people were putting all their eggs into the general direct after animal crossing direct basket and nothing happened.

I’m not even sure why I should take this guy seriously over more notable leakers like Zell (and yes I know he retired from leaking).
I mean Zhuge literally retweeted this news when it came out

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I mean Zhuge literally retweeted this news when it came out

But still doesn’t really guarantee a direct. Bad information like what happened with Zippo.

Don’t get me wrong I think this makes it more likely but it’s not really all but guaranteed and probably won’t be until it’s announced.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if I feel like we really are getting one this time, I'll expect the worst just in case. I've been seeing seeing "a Direct is all but confirmed" posts since January.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Anything you guys want to see in the Indie World showcase? I'm hoping we get to see Indivisible on Switch. I've been waiting SO LONG for that game.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Now here's the million dollar question, what classes would most likely be picked if they do go with the class change route?
Pretty much impossible since it was released just a week ago but Lumberjack has quickly become my favorite class due to how versatile and strong it is.

If I had to guess they would probably stick with the original 10 lines of classes: fighter, knight, priest, wizard, thief, enhancer grappler, ranger, harpist and lancer.

But still doesn’t really guarantee a direct. Bad information like what happened with Zippo.
Zippo literally never got anything right so I still don't understand why so many people considered him a "trusted insider"

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think it'd be a cool change of pace, given the overwhelmingly positive reception the last 2 costumes got. They might want to capitalize on that a bit more, and make the announcement of the skin seem more special -- as well as bring the Nindies direct to the attention of Smash fans, and vice versa (a lot of people here are dismissing the Nindie direct as anything other than an omen of imminent smash news)
I get what you mean. Premiium costumes are pretty popular on their own judging by Sans and Cuphead where they stole the show from Terry and Byleth. Maybe Nintendo would rather show them separately from the Fighters as not to overshadow them if the character becomes divisive. That is if it bothers them that much.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Anything you guys want to see in the Indie World showcase? I'm hoping we get to see Indivisible on Switch. I've been waiting SO LONG for that game.
It’s not expected to be come out of early access until the 2nd half of 2020, but I’m really excited for Hades. Supergiant Games are pretty much my favorite developers, I’m hoping maybe we could also get a port of Pyre.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Idk why y'all are expecting a premium costume to pop up when promoting Smash goes against the core idea of a direct just for indie games
I'm not expecting it, just saying it would be a cool thing, given the Premiium costumes are also there to support indie games. It'd be cool to see some new Silksong stuff and then have Nintendo draw attention specifically to Hollow Knight in smash, for example.

It'd be like them saying: "Hey, Hollow knight fans, your character is in Smash!"
as opposed to "Hey, Smash fans, Hollow Knight is in as an extra thingy!"

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Zippo literally never got anything right so I still don't understand why so many people considered him a "trusted insider"
He got the date for the animal crossing direct correct and potentially knew about Byleth. He did get stuff right so he was worth listening to. Nowadays he’s done leaking so there isn’t much of a point discussing him anyway

I.D.

Smash Lord
He got the date for the animal crossing direct correct and potentially knew about Byleth.
Wrong and wrong. His original claim was that there would be two directs on February, which was obviously wrong. A different user (not Zippo) pointed out the AC embargo ended on the 20th so he merely stuck that piece of info on his original claim, but it cannot even be atributed to him.

Everything he said about the last fighter of the pass was incorrect and didn't apply to Byleth at all.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey guys! Do you know what day of the week this is again?

That's right! Spirit Boards/Events. Lets see who might potentially fall.

D

Deleted member

I see people feeling cautious about it. Worst case scenario, it probably gets moved to early April if there's no direct next week. We're getting a direct either way

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I see people feeling cautious about it. Worst case scenario, it probably gets moved to early April if there's no direct next week. We're getting a direct either way
April honestly would just be too close to E3 (Digital).

Chances are nothing this month were waiting until June.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Wrong and wrong. His original claim was that there would be two directs on February, which was obviously wrong. A different user (not Zippo) pointed out the AC embargo ended on the 20th so he merely stuck that piece of info on his original claim, but it cannot even be atributed to him.

Everything he said about the last fighter of the pass was incorrect and didn't apply to Byleth at all.
You are pretty wrong too ironically enough. Nothing in my last post suggested I said he predicted the animal crossing direct, just that he predicted the date.

And he also asked before Byleths reveal if fire emblem was first party most likely so he could fact check his original claim of who fighter 5 would be as he said the character would be in a similar boat to bayonetta. You obviously haven’t heard this

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
You are pretty wrong too ironically enough. Nothing in my last post suggested I said he predicted the animal crossing direct, just that he predicted it.

And he also asked before Byleths reveal if fire emblem was first party most likely so he could fact check his original claim of who fighter 5 would be as he said the character would be in a similar boat to bayonetta. You obviously haven’t heard this
Look bro. Leaving aside that "I didn't know who the character belonged to" is an extremely ****ty defense to excuse your incorrect claims (also who the **** doesn't know Fire Emblem is a Nintendo game nowadays?), we already have enough insider wannabes these days that I don't think we should be giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who starts their "career" with a wrong prediction, let alone multiple wrong predictions. Zippo is not credible, and has never been.

Nothing in my last post suggested I said he predicted the animal crossing direct, just that he predicted it.
Can someone translate this?

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Look bro. Leaving aside that "I didn't know who the character belonged to" is an extremely ****ty defense to excuse your incorrect claims (also who the **** doesn't know Fire Emblem is a Nintendo game nowadays?), we already have enough insider wannabes nowadays that I don't think we should be giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who starts their "career" with a wrong prediction, let alone multiple wrong predictions. Zippo is not credible, and has never been.
I’ll say you should probably let people themselves be the judge of that but that aside we aren’t giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone as like I pointed out they are done leaking.

If you are going to completely ignore what I presented and view it as something else entirely then fine you do you, but it’s not worth crying over spilt milk when the spilt milk has already been cleared up.
Can someone translate this?
Corrected

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I really want to believe that we're getting a general direct next week but I don't think there's been an instance yet where they immediately followed up Indie World with one.

Seems like they're usually two or three weeks apart from each other.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This has got me thinking that they might announce a smash announcement in next week's general direct in the Nindie's direct and reveal the Indie 'deluxe' mii costume in the Nindies direct.
Why would they start doing that now? They didn't do it for the last 2.

Idk why y'all are expecting a premium costume to pop up when promoting Smash goes against the core idea of a direct just for indie games
Well, to be fair, one assumes that sales of a DLC costume of an indie character supplies money to the indie developer of said character. And also likely counts as promotion for whatever indie game that character comes from.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Not gonna lie, I'm surprised that the Pilot from Daemon X Machina hasn't come up in any discussions about newcomers. Like, that game was pushed by Nintendo a ton - and it's still a recent game, which would drive sales - especially considering that the newcomers might have been decided a while back. Furthermore, the moveset being able to switch between a mech and a pilot outside, as well as switching between swords and guns, would make it interesting. Just a thought?

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Why would they start doing that now? They didn't do it for the last 2.

Well, to be fair, one assumes that sales of a DLC costume of an indie character supplies money to the indie developer of said character. And also likely counts as promotion for whatever indie game that character comes from.
The idea of the Indie costumes is now a proven success -- both Sans and Cuphead had excellent reception -- so they may want to promote the costumes more (as evidenced by Cuphead also getting a spirit event), and also use the extra attention these costumes get to promote the source games themselves.

Also, the last Nindies direct before the Sans costume was like 6 months before the costume was revealed.

"KneeofJustice99 said:
Not gonna lie, I'm surprised that the Pilot from Daemon X Machina hasn't come up in any discussions about newcomers. Like, that game was pushed by Nintendo a ton - and it's still a recent game, which would drive sales - especially considering that the newcomers might have been decided a while back. Furthermore, the moveset being able to switch between a mech and a pilot outside, as well as switching between swords and guns, would make it interesting. Just a thought?
Because Daemon X Machina was deconfirmed pretty quickly by the Spirit event.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
The Daemon X Machina spirits came out and killed any requests for anything from that series as DLC. It's out on PC now and wasn't that well received either, so I think it's pretty safe to say DXM has no chance.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Found this on /v/, is probably the most comprehensive visualization of potential newcomers I've seen.

It's missing a couple characters some people think are happening, like Rex & Pyra, but pretty much everyone I think has a chance is here (plus a few extra).

EDIT: nvm, file is busted, posting image location instead

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1584369285569.jpg

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Found this on /v/, is probably the most comprehensive visualization of potential newcomers I've seen.

It's missing a couple characters some people think are happening, like Rex & Pyra, but pretty much everyone I think has a chance is here (plus a few extra).

Well, I saw a good handful of characters I actually want, so it's alright in my book.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nindies Showcase? I'd like to see Hollow Knight Silksong and Streets of Rage 4 there.

Dante in Smash is starting to feel like Persona 5 on Switch; people just assume it makes sense and then start getting upset when it doesn't happen. And companies start using it as free marketing. #BreakFreePersona #BuyingDMCPortsSoDanteWillGetIntoSmash
A lot of things can make sense but that doesn't guarantee nothing. I actually think Dante being in Smash makes sense, but he's not the only one who would make sense, and if he doesn't happen I won't be angry and of course, I won't blame Nintendo or Capcom.
Also, Persona 5 situation was a bit different. Back then you had rumours and "credible" leaks talking about P5 on Switch, before and after Joker's announcement. Then there was the infamous P5S website, which a lot of people saw as the Switch version of the game only to end up being Persona 5 Scramble (which also releases on the Switch, but it isn't the Persona 5 people wanted on Switch).

Dante, besides the usual 4chan post that every character has, only transpired to the media in regards to Smash prior the days to Byleth reveal. I won't deny that there was some people who believed Dante was a lock, but that's mostly because of misinformation and assuming things. People thought Dante would be FP5 because the direct was the same day as one of the DMC announcements. Which was stupid because the DMC news were always related to the DMC3 Switch port, so if anyone expected Smash related news it's their fault. In any case, a lot of people warned others that these news had nothing to do with Smash. I myself said so here a lot of times, and besides some speculation, I don't recall a decent amount of people here considering Dante as a lock during the prior days before Byleth.

And this isn't adressed to you in particular but for people who says "people considers Dante likely only because we talk about him" I mean... what can you expect? This is speculation. We talk about characters, today we talk about Dante, tomorrow maybe it will be idk, Professor Layton, and so on. When a character pops up frequently in speculation that character will become one of the first options when we think about possible newcomers. That's how it works. And it happened that Dante had some discussion and 'rumours' the last few months. On top of that the character is getting his games ported to the Switch, so I think it's normal that his name is being considered.
This isn't different to people who expect assist/spirit upgrades, more first parties or any other characters. Go visit their official threads and most of them will consider that their wants are, at least, relatively possible.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
hmmm.

Bringing up Layton reminds me of a question I had for some people:
Why support 'peaceful' (characters who's games have no real combat/action mechanics) characters for smash, like Phoenix, Arle, Layton, or Tom Nook? They, in and of themselves, wouldn't necessarily bring anything new to the table -- given their moveset is pretty much entirely abstract anyway a la VIllager/Isabelle/R.O.B.. Is it just for the sake of the crossover/representation? If so, why not settle for and AT/Mii costume/ Spirits?

Not 'attacking'/'****ting on'/doubting/dismissing fans of these characters, I just want to know.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

In regards to Nintendo, I think by now Porky's lack of a spirit should either be considered a coincidence or a joke based on the ASC, and I think LM3 themed DLC is overrated by people ignoring the use of the new Poltergust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom