• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I got another interesting question.
what character would you like/love to see that originated from the past decades staring from
the 1980s to the 2010s?
here's my list
1980s:Ryu Hayabusa(Ninja Gaiden).
1990s:Spyro the Dragon.
2000s:a Sim(The Sims).
2010s:Knack.
80s: Bomberman
90s: Nightmare
00s: Viewtiful Joe
10s: Hat Kid

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
So a lot of people are speculating based on character names. But what about mechanics? Is there a specific gimmick you'd like to see in Smash? Or a specific type of ability?

Personally, I'd like to see more of a summoner type. Olimar is as close as it gets, and maybe Duck Hunt to some extent with his down B? Bowser Jr with his down B too? But nothing comes close to the Pikmin dynamic so far. I don't quite have names in mind for mainstream summoner though, but it's something I'd like to see more of.

I'm quite fond of transformations and duos too. Pokemon Trainer is a neat idea, and I wish we had more tag fighters like this. Akira from Astral Chain would have been a great addition to this mechanic, with changing Legions and being possibly a duo too.

As a playstyle, I like zoning and attrition, so more poison/burn/damageovertime type moves would be nice. I know those can be a tad difficult to balance between audiences (from casual to pro, they can go from broken to weak).

D

Deleted member

So a lot of people are speculating based on character names. But what about mechanics? Is there a specific gimmick you'd like to see in Smash? Or a specific type of ability?

Personally, I'd like to see more of a summoner type. Olimar is as close as it gets, and maybe Duck Hunt to some extent with his down B? Bowser Jr with his down B too? But nothing comes close to the Pikmin dynamic so far. I don't quite have names in mind for mainstream summoner though, but it's something I'd like to see more of.

I'm quite fond of transformations and duos too. Pokemon Trainer is a neat idea, and I wish we had more tag fighters like this. Akira from Astral Chain would have been a great addition to this mechanic, with changing Legions and being possibly a duo too.

As a playstyle, I like zoning and attrition, so more poison/burn/damageovertime type moves would be nice. I know those can be a tad difficult to balance between audiences (from casual to pro, they can go from broken to weak).
I'm always a fan of high risk high reward characters in fighting games. Like how Bane in Injustice 2 can buff himself temporarily but becomes weaker when he runs out of juice. A character like that would be incredibly fun. Though, in Smash, that would just encourage camping and running away.

I want Sagat for his playstyle alone. I just wanna tiger shot, medium kick, and tiger upper in Smash. That's all I'll ever need to be competitive.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
what character would you like/love to see that originated from the past decades staring from
the 1980s to the 2010s?
here's my list
Let's see what I come up with by literally choosing the earliest character I want per decade.
1980s: Frogger
1990s: Samurai Goroh
2000s: Joanna Dark
2010s: Adam Jensen

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Your example of a damage over time type of character is something I've wanted to see for a while, Joker's Side-B and Olimar's Pikmin kinda do that, but I'd like to see a moveset where the entire playstyle is centered around the idea. Like, maybe the character could apply the DoT, and it'd increase the power of the rest of the character's special moves, or add additional effects to them when they hit. To avoid the character becoming too campy hopefully those additional effects would give the player an incentive to engage instead of just running away for the entire match. Dark magic users like Skull Kid or Ashley could have something like this, although the more realistic candidate for this atm would probably be Toxtricity with its Poison-type moves.

Another idea that'd be cool is that of a portal character who can create and warp between two points, and also have the rest of its moveset interact with this mechanic, like firing projectiles through them and such. It would potentially be very difficult to implement in a platform fighter like Smash without being super broken, but at the same time it's also the type of game that can draw the most out of this type of mechanic, so maybe with the right restrictions it could be feasible. I always thought Magolor would fit this perfectly, his fight in Return to Dreamland is mostly based around him creating portals, travelling through them, and also shooting projectiles and beams into them for some added trickery.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
We need more whip users in Smash to counteract the swordies.
View attachment 265636
Have you beaten Majora's Mask? (the game or the boss fight - it's the same thing either way) I don't know about the mask itself, but its later forms (or a Smash-original form that's a hybrid of several forms, like Ridley) could be interesting.
If Skull Kid got in saddled with that ****, I would probably stop bothering with Smash completely, aside from Melee and mods.
Whip swords are cool and all, but how about we take it up a notch by introducing...

View attachment 265638

Flaming whip swords
Byleth could have gotten a whipsword moveset.

whipsword

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Skull Kid got in saddled with that ****, I would probably stop bothering with Smash completely, aside from Melee and mods.
You mean if Majora is added and Skull Kid gets the shaft or if Skull Kid uses Majora in battle?

If Skull Kid gets in while the Moon is an Assist Trophy, Majora could make for a cool Final Smash. Or a boss. Regardless of whoever gets in Majora should definitely be a boss at some point.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No. I don't like gameplay gimmicks and prefer my characters to be relatively straightforward.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

A character that focuses on area denial, such as summoning a sentry gun, standing fire or acid, maybe a mine or some caltrops.

Been playing Rivals of Aether, Wrastor's ability to use aerial smash attacks is interesting.

Also I really love superheavies even if they aren't the most competitively viable, I hope we can get one for this next fighter pass.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No. I don't like gameplay gimmicks and prefer my characters to be relatively straightforward.
Even straightforward characters can have some interesting properties. Inkling's mechanics are easy to grasp both when playing and fighting them, and Byleth doesn't even have a second objective; They're just zoners, but really slow. Any ideas on what playstyle you'd be into or an archetype you'd like to see taken into a specific direction?

Been playing Rivals of Aether, Wrastor's ability to use aerial smash attacks is interesting.
:ultrobin:"Allow me to introduce myself."

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Why not both? A lot of characters are immutably tied to a mechanic (or set of mechanics), like the fighting game reps feeling like they came from their respective fighting games.

Other than that, I think a character that works like Rosalina & Luma in reverse would be cool (with the 'luma' character being strong and tough, and the 'Rosalina' character being weak and vulnerable). I was hoping an Astral Chain or Daemon X Machina rep would be this, but those are deconfirmed it seems.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Even straightforward characters can have some interesting properties. Inkling's mechanics are easy to grasp both when playing and fighting them, and Byleth doesn't even have a second objective; They're just zoners, but really slow. Any ideas on what playstyle you'd be into or an archetype you'd like to see taken into a specific direction?

:ultrobin:"Allow me to introduce myself."
Kind of, I do love playing Robin due to his Levin sword aerials, but Wrastor works a bit differently.

his aerial smash attacks can be charged and stop his momentum in air.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
In the end, so do I. Byleth was really nice in that regard as she went back to normal and straightforward. But there's been quite a few very good suggestions so far that keep the characters straightforwards and just point towards playstyle. Like the damage over time one, or the self buffing/nerfing ones that just give attributes to moves.

I think some characters like Inkling were really well made despite their ammo gimmick. In comparison, I'm not a fan of most of the "bars" used for other characters. Terry's 100%, Little Mac's punch, Banjo's feathers, even Lucario's aura boost, they're all original takes, but I personally don't like those things much. If a character can be limited to his B moves to be special, I'd rather that than the fighter himself having different weird neutral abilities. But even if I'm not a fan of most of those, I can't deny how it greatly expands the design space for new characters.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
the 1980s to the 2010s?
here's my list
80s-Frogger
90s-Doomguy
00s-Dante
10s-Hat Kid

pinshadow

Smash Lord
the 1980s to the 2010s?
here's my list
1980's: Ryu Hayabusa
1990's Doomguy/Crash
2000's Master Chief/Travis
2010's: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Swear to god I can't think of a single character from the last decade I actually want in Smash Bros.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like a Direct is right around the corner for real, I don't know why but since this whole Corona Virus thing has been happening it just seems like everything has been getting thrown off schedule but Nintendo has still been chugging along what with then letting their employees work from home and what not.

I'm really hoping for a New Star Fox game. C'mon Nintendo, there's at least one on all your consoles (except the Wii).

I'd hope that it'd play like Adventure, and Assault, and would be open world/Galaxy like No Man's Sky(with the whole atmospheric lift off/re-entry and traveling to distant planets to save them/interact with the natives).

It would have all of Star Fox (Add Krystal back in the game dang it!), and has online multiplayer.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas: interested in Star Fox? Allow me to introduce myse-

Starlink was actually good though. Y'know, unlike Star Fox Zero...

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You mean if Majora is added and Skull Kid gets the shaft or if Skull Kid uses Majora in battle?

If Skull Kid gets in while the Moon is an Assist Trophy, Majora could make for a cool Final Smash. Or a boss. Regardless of whoever gets in Majora should definitely be a boss at some point.
If Skull Kid gets in but uses Majora.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hmm...I highly doubt they'd add Skull Kid from his appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess since it's more of a footnote for the character, but his abilities from that game have a decent shot of appearing in his Super Smash Bros. counterpart, as they're a heck of a lot more othodox than turning people into Deku Scrubs and summoning the entire freaking moon to crash onto the stage. Though, depending on how much the mask is used in his animations, he might get a costume or four without the mask on, which, if animated correctly, could allow for both the happy trickster and the tortured harbinger of the apocalypse versions of the character to be portrayed without changing much. They could even hit it home by giving him two different victory themes depending on which costume you used; Majora's theme for the masked version and Saria's Song for the unmasked version.

Side Note: It would be hilarious if he could turn you into a Deku Scrub for a few seconds; giving you a weak and incomplete moveset while also making you lighter. It would insure nobody likes to fight him should they make it a useful ability though...

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Skull Kid is merely a puppet for Majora. Skull Kid isn't using Majora's Mask the mask is using him. So in reality if Skull Kid was a fighter you are actually playing as Majora's Mask.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright, question, from this screenshot of the last kirby game, which character wouldn't you mind seeing in Smash Bros as a DLC?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

I want more throws that have unique traits, like the ones that bury opponents, DK's cargo carry, or like how Shadow (in Crusade) suspends the opponent in midair with his Up-throw.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alright, question, from this screenshot of the last kirby game, which character wouldn't you mind seeing in Smash Bros as a DLC?

Meta Knight. I think he'd be fairly balanced in his Smash debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom