• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Do any of you think with all these concerns and panic revolving around coronavirus that it may affect the development of Fighter’s Pass 2?
Hmmm, I know Nintendo is trying to get some workers to work from home if their role allows them to.

Developing a fighter seems to be an in-office kind of role, so maybe not?

They can't take company software home with them on their computers after all, I think? That stuff stays inside the building I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

Ring Fit Trainer is the next victim.
Dang it. I can't meme about Ring Fit getting in over other fan favorites anymore.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I know Nintendo is trying to get some workers to work from home if their role allows them to.

Developing a fighter seems to be an in-office kind of role, so maybe not?

They can't take company software home with them on their computers after all, right? That stuff stays inside the building I'd imagine.
It’s hard to read sarcasm over text, so if you’re being serious, I’d assume Nintendo would figure something out but they just have to be careful.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
It’s hard to read sarcasm over text, so if you’re being serious, I’d assume Nintendo would figure something out but they just have to be careful.
... not sure why you're assuming I"m being sarcastic.

I don't work at Nintendo, so I refrain from speaking as if I know what's going on over there, hence the speculative tone.

Didn't mean to come off as rude.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Kind of a general question to everyone, but has Smash speculation ever gotten you to try a new series or game before?
Back when we were trying to speculate on who would take the last spot of the first Fighters Pass, I got interested in Ace Attorney due to Phoenix Wright being one of the more speculated characters. Also back when the SNK leak happened I got really interested in Fatal Fury and KoF, though that was me wanting Terry to be the SNK representative since despite being the mascot of that company and hinted by insiders he still had to compete with Kyo, Nakoruru, and someone from Metal Slug. And then during the time when the Cacomallow leak was the talk of speculation, I downloaded the original DOOM on e-shop and got through the first episode.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Kind of a general question to everyone, but has Smash speculation ever gotten you to try a new series or game before?
Many.

Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest, Devil May Cry, Nier: Automata, Dark Souls, Phoenix Wright, Granblue, and more I'm probably forgetting.

If you use Smash Speculation as a basis to expand your gaming tastes, it becomes a rather fruitful thing. Of course a lot of people don't, but I digress.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
edit: frick nevermind I misread what you said and missed “speculation.”

(I listed games I played because of Smash, like Chibi-Robo, Pikmin, and EarthBound, maybe Animal Crossing and Kirby though those were likely because of commercials, and likely Zelda).

-actually though, speculation did get me to play SMRPG and Golden Sun. I liked Golden Sun’s beginning, I’ve still just barely gotten out of the village and had only one fight on the map-path-thing so far. I plan to go back to at some point, I’ve been preoccupied with other games.

Speculation has also made me interested in a few other games, like Touhou, Dragon Quest and kinda Shantae.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Aw, balls.

Between the heavy rumors of E3's cancellation and now this, it hasn't been a great day for videogames and me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel like it should. But it hasn't done much for me quite yet. I guess the closest example of that would be Shantae for me. I always wanted to try it once I saw it again, since back in the day I saw an old ad for it and some other GBC/GBA stuff. And eventually, I bit the bullet and enjoyed the first two games a lot.

I've already played a few Castlevania titles, but I admit to wanting to dive deeper into it, but I want to do as legally as I can and when I have more time to build my game collection more. I considered maybe trying fan made CV games to hold me over a bit, but I dunno.

On the other hand, I've no interest in Persona or Undertale whatsoever.

Everything else I've at least played a bit of, if not a lot of titles completely before their franchises got involved in Smash. Street Fighter, KOF, Mega Man, Sonic, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, F-Zero ect.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
... not sure why you're assuming I"m being sarcastic.

I don't work at Nintendo, so I refrain from speaking as if I know what's going on over there, hence the speculative tone.

Didn't mean to come off as rude.
No, no! You weren’t rude! I wasn’t saying that. Determining tone of text is tricky.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Oof, even though I knew there was a chance of this due to its timing, it's kind of sad to see Ring Fit get spirited away as well. It had a good amount of support for DLC due to being a popular new IP.

Offhand, Undertale, Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, Undertale, Xenoblade, Mega Man, SMRPG and a few others. Dragon Quest XI is also next on my list, but I'm currently finishing up a game before I start it up.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

That is a massive shame, but I'll take Spirits over nothing. I'm saying this as someone who got the game (and enjoyed it) just as its price was starting to spike online.

Had FP2 been 2021 / 22 instead I believe RFA would've stood a much better chance as a promo pick. Partly because there's an ongoing demand overload (and price spike) for the game in America. RFA saw (and apparently is still seeing) ths same thing in China.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It was a stupid pick that people only entertained because Wii Fit Trainer was a thing.
1/10 take.

Stupid is a bit much, considering people want a plethora of characters for equally ridiculous reasons on just about any corner of this fanbase. Those lumping the two series in for no reason other than "it's exercising/fitness" (or even dumber to think one needs to replace or copy the other via Echo) are less than respectable, sure. But people genuinely like the game beyond just "funny joycon peripheral/sexy dragon memes." As odd and niche as a fitness RPG can be, the character design is endearing and the music is neat, so it's better than just being a "no one asker for this" idea like Wii Fit (which even that had its fans beyond the soccer-mom-owns-a-Wii population).

That said it's not everyone's thing, and that's perfectly fine considering gamers don't like being healthy/looking dumb to anyone passing by and all that.The timing for development in relation to its release was screwed to begin with, like Arms/XB2, but I'm certain it was in the "maybe a serious consideration for next time" boat if Nintendo's personally making the call.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like a lot of people only look at Ring Fit Trainer's game and the genre it's in before deciding that she would be a stupid addition or a Wii Fit Trainer clone. If you played her game, you'd realize that there's actually a lot of material for a unique fighter. Unlike WFT, someone who uses real-life exercises to attack, RFT uses magic with a fitness theme.

Anyway, I'm a little sad to see those Spirits. I wasn't an avid supporter or anything, but I thought she would be a neat character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My opinion is that the most likely first party DLC character would be from an unannounced game set to release either this year or some time in 2021.
I'll have to actually see the games before I'd say "most likely". There's no guarantee we're even getting games that would offer us a new character.

For now, I'm just sticking with stuff we already know. I still say SwSh and BotW 2, but maybe that list will grow by June.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
My opinion is that the most likely first party DLC character would be from an unannounced game set to release either this year or some time in 2021.
Why is there an expectation that Nintendo/Sakurai would decide on a game releasing 1+ year after they have made the decisions in 2019? That's extreme foreplanning that doesn't add up - remember that every single "promotional" character has had their game shown in some capacity before their appearance in smash, all the way back in Melee.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I did always intend to get around to them at some point due to them being regarded as classics, but it was the K. Rool and Geno fanbases that provided the trigger for me to play the original DKC and SMRPG. Beyond that speculation itself hasn’t gotten me to play many games, although characters getting into Smash most certainly has.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
It got me to revisit Ace Attorney, and it got me to play a little bit of SMRPG, complete Undertale, and speculation on a SwSh Pokemon is the main reason I decided to play it. You can also say it contributed to me revisiting Minecraft, but I probably would’ve done it anyway since there were tons of memes going around.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
i clicked the wrong button twice and now I’ve accidentally triple posted. Please don’t kill me

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. Tons of new series. Ever since Smash 64, I tried out new series to me. I already was very interested in Zelda Ocarina of Time, Link in Smash persuaded me to get it. Tried out other games as well, for example Kirby and around Melee I got highly interested in StarFox (Adventures), Metroid (Fusion and Prime) and later EarthBound, through emulation. Was already familiar with Donkey Kong, Pokémon (my two favorites at that time) and of course Mario and Yoshi.

Then the periods after Melee and before Brawl I played a lot of GBA emulator. The speculation was about Fire Emblem characters because of Marth and Roy, and it got me to play Fire Emblem 7, Sacred Stones and eventually even Binding Blade. Mother 3 was a hot thing, so I played it and started to support Lucas. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance was my first Fire Emblem title that I actually bought, and I loved Ike, so I also started to support him. Even played a little Animal Crossing, but it wasn't much to my liking.

Smash 4 eventually didn't convince me to anything. Except a tiny bit of Street Fighter and Mega Man, maybe. However after I bought a 3DS, I quickly played the Fire Emblem games, wasn't a fan of "waifu Emblem" before that, and kinda skeptical about the game industry in general. I also bought Kid Icarus Uprising. Never finished it however. Bad controls bro.

Now after Ultimate? Not sure. Am half sort of interested in Bayonetta, but I'll await Bayonetta 3 if am seriously gonna consider investing in this franchise. Playing a little Pokémon Sword, which is huge cause I didn't play after Diamond game out. Only a little bit of Pokémon Show Down, which I admit, might be because of Greninja. Oh, and in the anticipation of Hero, I played some Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest might be a thing for the future. Am also highly interested in the upcoming remake of Xenoblade 1.

So yeah, quite a lot of series where introduced to me thanks to Smash.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Welp, Ring Fit's disqualified.
Not that they stood much of a chance, but hey, speculators gonna speculate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It was a stupid pick that people only entertained because Wii Fit Trainer was a thing.
Actually, people seem to be genuinely disappointed by this disconfirmation. It's a bit surprising, but I guess that speaks to the game's success. I can definitely see Ring and the Ring Fit Adventurer pop up in battle during the next game either playable or as an assist trophy.

I also bought Kid Icarus Uprising. Never finished it however. Bad controls bro.
I think I've heard it described as "a great game that only gives me arthritis most of the time".

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Me, 2015: "the ballot is gonna be adding all these fan favorites. I better play Golden Sun so I appreciate Isaac's inclusion!" (I don't think I ever played GS, I just bought it)

Me, May 2019: "Oh boy, a Microsoft rep is a sure thing! Minecraft is going through a resurgence, I better get back into it so I feel the Steve hype"

Me, August: "There has to be a Capcom rep in one of the last two slots. Better get Ace Attorney and Resident Evil to appreciate their inclusion"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, they're probably going to go with something already established. In fact, i can see them doing a reveal akin to the Banjo-Kazooie trailer; that is, using a trailer that was already done to introduce a new person.

Using the Ridley trailer, after killing mario (again), I can see him going after Samus only to be stopped by the reveal of a new Metroid character to promote Metroid 4.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm not sure if Hero being in Smash got me to check out DQ XI S (I think it was more the really generous demo), but it probably helped

Conversely, I think the large number of newcomers from certain series can potentially put people off trying it (I'll admit my feelings towards on FE was slightly tainted because of this, but I'm glad I gave Three Houses a shot as I'm having a great time with it)

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Actually, people seem to be genuinely disappointed by this disconfirmation. It's a bit surprising, but I guess that speaks to the game's success. I can definitely see Ring and the Ring Fit Adventurer pop up in battle during the next game either playable or as an assist trophy.
That's what happens when you dogpile on a frankly quite unrealistic character.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I played Mario rpg because of people wanting Geno in Smash, I did the Phoenix Wright trilogy and I loved so much the game that he grew to be one of my most wanted for me too. I also played the whole Devil may cry franchises because of the whole Dante in Smash leak on 4chan.

It's possible, but at this point I wouldn't expect any new ip getting in. Arms, Astral chain and Ring fit all got spirited and assist trophy despite having a relatively big success. But if Fire emblem have another game in 2021 it's probably going to be from it because it's easy to add content from those games because each one have it's own theme.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what happens when you dogpile on a frankly quite unrealistic character.
She wasn't as unrealistic as you'd think. Ring Fit sold 2 million units worldwide and isn't a bad fitness game. Also any first party game that doesn't have spirits yet aren't deconfirmed, which is big if we're talking promotional first parties. It's why we always discussed series such as Three Houses or Generation 8 as potential characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ring Fit wasn't a super likely character candidate at all but I don't get why some fans give so much **** to people just for supporting it. It's not like they're going on a warpath like some "likely" characters' fanbases upon their disconfirmations.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Good thing you aren't in charge of Nintendo if series that can sell 2 million on their first outing don't even get the chance for a follow-up.
Nintendo themselves aren't even giving this game a chance for a follow-up. They were wanting this to be as successful as Splatoon and it failed to reach that. They got initially invested and were actually willing to make a comic book series out of it with Dark Horse, but that series is in development hell and will mostly likely just be canceled. It was suppose to release in Fall 2018, then say that it will release in January 2019, and never said anything about at all for a whole year. This is a series that just doesn't look to have a future at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom