• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Even GameXplain made a video on it. We may have a ticket, right here.
Gamexplain wouldn't report on a random direct date rumor like this if they didn't think it had legitimacy, they're pretty damn obsessed with being right all the time. Also should be noted that Sabi said in early February that there would be an indie direct in mid-march, which also matches up with this.

That being said WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY WAIT UNTIL THE END OF MARCH

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While it is disingenuous to say every character has to be a Nintendo Icon to get into Smash, it really does look like a character needs some connection to Nintendo to join the battle. Even though Snake, Cloud, and Joker are Playstation icons, all of their series have still had some type of release on a Nintendo system. Granted, those aren't particularly strong connections, but they're still connections none the less.

As such, I don't think people are being puritans when they bring up Halo or Drakengard never being on a Nintendo system as possible boundaries to seeing Master Chief or 2B join the battle. Past precedent has shown we've never had a character who lacks this connection before. That's not to say this precedent can't be broken, but it is a legitimate concern to these characters' chances.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
GameXplain: we're not leakers, honest!
also GameXplain: YO WE KNOW EXACTLY WHEN THE NEXT DIRECT IS CHECK THIS **** OUT

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Re: characters needing Nintendo appearances

I think it's less of a matter of a series or a character having a Nintendo appearance helps them or not, and more the opposite. Nintendo's a company with lots of history, they've been around for a while and made many different kinds of consoles. Most characters and franchises we can think of have an appearance on one. It can be seen with how many franchises present in Ultimate, and yet none of them are making their first showing on a Nintendo console. The same applies to us, honestly. Look at how many characters are thrown around in the speculation scene, and yet never a candidate has had the problem of a lack of one (except for Kratos, I'll circle back around to him later).

The issue, therefore, would lie with characters and franchise that somehow have never been on Nintendo. I do believe that Nintendo or Sakurai might see no Nintendo appearances as a negative. It just stands out, given the wealth of options that do have them.

However, I don't think it's an immediate death sentence. Especially with Nintendo calling the shots, I think they'd just see Smash talks as an opportunity to rectify their lack of games. For example, if Nintendo sees 2B (just to name a character that doesn't have games on Nintendo) as a character worth pursuing, it'd make sense to get a NieR port on the Switch while they're at it. Corporate synergy, you know the drill. Same with someone like Gordon Freeman. However, I do believe that if Nintendo pursued something like this and were turned down it'd change their minds on the character. If the others aren't willing to play ball, why would they? And same with a franchise that they don't want on their systems - for example, if they don't think it has any appeal to the Nintendo audience.

I also think that characters like Kratos and Master Chief are exceptions that prove the rule. Of course they don't have Nintendo appearances; what makes them so exciting is that they can't have any. They're the competition. Like Sonic, they have a strong Nintendo connection that doesn't have to encompass Nintendo games. They're the only characters I'd expect to see without any Nintendo appearance.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Ring Fit Trainer is the next victim.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
E3 cancelled

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sure seems that way.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whelp there goes my current predictions...

Even then whoever is right with all their predictions anyways...

Off to make an new prediction list!

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Thread Theme
https://youtu.be/uFNK-9A2VRo

Dinoman96

Smash Master
And there you have it folks, we ain't getting any new Nintendo IPs as DLC lmao

The only first party characters that have a chance at DLC are stuff like Pokemon and Fire Emblem, both of which are proven and long running brands that are constantly getting new characters and games to market/promote.

So yeah, that's exactly why I'd just prefer more third parties at this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
GameXplain: we're not leakers, honest!
also GameXplain: YO WE KNOW EXACTLY WHEN THE NEXT DIRECT IS CHECK THIS **** OUT
GameXplain's reflex of getting irate when people accuse then of knowing more than they let on (which is painfully obvious) rubs me the wrong way.

But at least when they report on a rumour and don't brush it off with shoddy, truncated reasoning fabricated due to not being able to say "we know this isn't true", it's usually worth paying attention to.

E3 cancelled
Nintendo doesn't need to be at E3 to do their normal E3 deal. A prerecorded broadcast and a stream from the Treehouse instead of the show and they've covered the exact same bases, minus impressions from the press.

Though we would lose out on the developments that happen thanks to the behind-closed-doors meetings which occur during E3.

More interesting is how companies that held traditional conferences will respond. Especially Microsoft, given, as of right now, it's a system launching year for them. Though the Switch launched without a presence at E3. As, presumably, will the PS5.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

With this, we have... four Spirit events since Byleth, right?

I do wonder just how many we have left until December 2021. And how many of these will be third party...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
ITT...

- Direct soft-confirmed 2 weeks from now.

- E3 is #Cancelled.

- Ring Fit is ****ing dead

This is peak Smashboards right here I tell ya'.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
GameXplain's reflex of getting irate when people accuse then of knowing more than they let on (which is painfully obvious) rubs me the wrong way.

But at least when they report on a rumour and don't brush it off with shoddy, truncated reasoning fabricated due to not being able to say "we know this isn't true", it's usually worth paying attention to.

Nintendo doesn't need to be at E3 to do their normal E3 deal. A prerecorded broadcast and a stream from the Treehouse instead of the show and they've covered the exact same bases, minus impressions from the press.

Though we would lose out on the developments that happen thanks to the behind-closed-doors meetings which occur during E3.

More interesting is how companies that held traditional conferences will respond. Especially Microsoft, given, as of right now, it's a system launching year for them. Though the Switch launched without a presence at E3. As, presumably, will the PS5.
I'll also say it again. What's stopping E3 exactly just doing the approach as Nintendo does their directs or livestreams with small gatherings as Final Kombat did?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Another one bites za dusto.

E3 cancelled
Coronamon confirmed for smash yall.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The only first party characters that have a chance at DLC are stuff like Pokemon and Fire Emblem, both of which are proven and long running brands that are constantly getting new characters and games to market/promote.

So yeah, that's exactly why I'd just prefer more third parties at this point.
Actually, we still don't have Dragalia Lost content. There's still hope.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

At least RFA seems to have legs enough to make a future for the series look possible.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
E3 this year had 2 major things against it, so it wasn't surprising in hindsight.

1. The massive doxx that happened last year that caused a major PR disaster for the ESA.
2. And of course the CoronaVirus concerns.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Ring Fit dead? Always knew Wii Fit Trainer was a shady individual.

Think about it, only them would benefit from the death of Ring Fit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
E3 this year had 2 major things against it, so it wasn't surprising in hindsight.

1. The massive doxx that happened last year that caused a major PR disaster for the ESA.
2. And of course the CoronaVirus concerns.
I feel like the decision to cancel it was based entirely on the second of those two points.

D

Deleted member

Not if Spirits/Assist upgrades have anything to say about it!

........Let me believe!:crying:

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Ring Fit Adventure would've had a chance to get a playable if it was actually called Fire Emblem.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ring Fit dead? Always knew Wii Fit Trainer was a shady individual.

Think about it, only them would benefit from the death of Ring Fit.
If Ring Fit had come out in 2017 and Ultimate wasn't an Everyone is Here game, then I guarantee you that Wii Fit would've been replaced by Ring Fit on the roster.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Define hope. Because having the first-party slot used on a gacha mobile game sounds like the EXACT opposite of that.
At least we'd HAVE a first-party rep. Besides, Dragalia Lost is one of, if not THE most generous mobile gacha games on the market. It's also made by the Granblue guys.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Ring Fit had come out in 2017 and Ultimate wasn't an Everyone is Here game, then I guarantee you that Wii Fit would've been replaced by Ring Fit on the roster.
I don't think so. The only time Sakurai ever 'replaced' a character was Young Link with Toon Link. But that was just a "expendable" clone character. Whereas WFT is a unique character that reps her own IP.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
>Sees rumours of E3 getting cancelled
>Followed up by the Ring Fit Adventurer getting deconfirmed as a spirit
Truly we're living in a cursed 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom