• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah, I'm showing how simply saying a fake quote in sarcasm doesn't automatically invalidate the argument to begin with. How exactly does making a quote where Sakurai doesn't want to put non video game characters in sound ridiculous when he himself has said that multiple times?
Imagine reading.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't see Sony or Microsoft ever approaching Nintendo to put their biggest characters in the game to begin with, but even ignoring that, Nintendo is the one that chooses the characters, so they would be the ones to have to go to other companies to ask for their characters, not the other way around.

I know your saying that fake quote in sarcasm but that is one hundred percent a valid reason for not putting them in the game. I mean people use that to exclude non video game characters all the time.

"wow, would be so big and exciting to have Goku and Mickey Mouse... oh, yeah... their not video game characters. What a shame, I can't put them in the game".

Doesn't sound so silly anymore right? (Not that the original one sounded silly). And as I said before Nintendo would be the ones approaching other companies, not the other way around.
Banjo in Smash was, afaik, suggested by Rare/Microsoft. They approached Nintendo first.

Of course I'm not saying Sony or Microsoft will put their biggest names in Smash, that part of my post was just an assumption.
And there's a big difference between Goku/Mickey and Chief/Kratos. The first ones aren't videogame characters while the other two are videogame characters.

Don't mistake me, I respect the opinion of some fans not wanting characters that aren't on Nintendo platforms. I'll admit that's something I don't get at all, but I can see why some people don't want characters such as Master Chief in Smash, so I respect that stance. But if you're aiming for expanding the already massive crossover that Smash is, I don't think anyone can deny that having Xbox or PlayStation mascots is the best option for that.
In the end, all the Chief/Kratos talk is just speculation, they're pipe dreams (Kratos more than Chief, I'd say) and I wouldn't bet on them being in the game, but Smash has reached a point where people usually bring Xbox and PlayStation characters to the table, and that's already crazy. 10 years ago no one would have guessed that the idea of having Master Chief in Smash would be somewhat possible, anyone would call you a lunatic if back then you considered Chief as a realizable character for Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Imagine reading.
Try doing so yourself.

What still sounds ridiculous? Be more clear next time and I'll address those arguments.

I'm guessing your beef is the comparison part, in my opinion comparing video game characters that never appeared on a Nintendo system being in a Nintendo made crossover (that also features many different gaming icons, but still all somewhat connected to Nintendo), doesn't exactly sound that different from non video game characters appearing buddy. There are groups of people who want but, even if we strongly disagree with those that want non video game characters I don't really see how their that much more horrible any other group of characters such as those that have no connection whatsoever to Nintendo. It is a crossover that has certainly expanded to include many of gaming icons but it still is a Nintendo made crossover at its heart.

Anyways I'm done with this topic since it's really not constructive and I don't care to get modded, so have a nice day.

Banjo in Smash was, afaik, suggested by Rare/Microsoft. They approached Nintendo first.

Of course I'm not saying Sony or Microsoft will put their biggest names in Smash, that part of my post was just an assumption.
And there's a big difference between Goku/Mickey and Chief/Kratos. The first ones aren't videogame characters while the other two are videogame characters.

Don't mistake me, I respect the opinion of some fans not wanting characters that aren't on Nintendo platforms. I'll admit that's something I don't get at all, but I can see why some people don't want characters such as Master Chief in Smash, so I respect that stance. But if you're aiming for expanding the already massive crossover that Smash is, I don't think anyone can deny that having Xbox or PlayStation mascots is the best option for that.
In the end, all the Chief/Kratos talk is just speculation, they're pipe dreams (Kratos more than Chief, I'd say) and I wouldn't bet on them being in the game, but Smash has reached a point where people usually bring Xbox and PlayStation characters to the table, and that's already crazy. 10 years ago no one would have guessed that the idea of having Master Chief in Smash would be somewhat possible, anyone would call you a lunatic if back then you considered Chief as a realizable character for Smash.
Very well, we can agree to disagree.

I personally don't see how characters that never even appeared even once on a Nintendo system are that much different from non video game characters in terms of chances, since both have groups of people who want them despite how much we both disagree with those who want the latter, but I can respect the people who do see a difference in them. At least you're diplomatic unlike someone else.

Anyways I'm done with this topic since it's really not constructive and I don't care to get modded, so have a nice day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey so even if we don’t get a direct announcement today, Wednesday is for certain. Plus they goofed with that casual “Direct in the future” hint so...

proof:
The catch is that Nintendo will now officially delay the direct to April because GAME ****ed up.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
How many of you guys actually expect a Smash reveal if we do get a direct this month?
What's what I think the chances for a Smash reveal is.
45%: No Smash reveal
50%: Smash reveal but no gameplay footage just like Joker/Terry.
5%: Full-fledged Smash reveal.

I wouldn't expect a Smash reveal, but there's still a decent chance for one.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How many of you guys actually expect a Smash reveal if we do get a direct this month?
If there's enough work done to do a small Joker/Terry style trailer then perhaps.
We're going on nearly 2 months of the pass being on sale without knowing any of the content outside of the bonus mii costume now.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
smash bros is fake

there are no more reveals because there were never any reveals in the first place
Can confirm, someone managed to impersonate Masahiro Sakurai and fake an entire game enough to release it on the market. The internet's photoshopping skills today are out of the world.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
it’s Tuesday everyone, that means spirit events!

what crazy predictions do y’all have? Will it be a heartbreaking disconfirmation of a highly speculated series, a promotion for a new game, or maybe an out-of-leftfield series?

Eldrake

Smash Lord

what crazy predictions do y’all have? Will it be a heartbreaking disconfirmation of a highly speculated series, a promotion for a new game, or maybe an out-of-leftfield series?
In a shocking event that absolutely nobody ever saw coming, Nintendo and Sony has teamed up to release a set of spirits featuring characters from Sony IPs including Uncharted and God of War.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a chance of a reveal, but it's not a guarantee. If there is a Smash reveal, it'll probably be a trailer without gameplay like what they did with Joker and Terry.

A Crash Bandicoot spirit event happens, creating shockwaves throughout the speculation scene in a fashion similar to the Resident Evil spirit event.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

I’m hoping for Yooka-Laylee or Super Lucky’s Tale. I would also say Bloodstained, The Messenger, or A Hat in Time, but I’m (probably foolishly) hoping those might get Mii costumes.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like I said before, I also wouldn't expect a spirit or tourney event tonight.

Nintendo is having another JP only online tourney this weekend. The last time they did this, there was no spirit/tourney event that week. So it's something to keep in mind just in case we don't get anything.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Stanley Parable spirits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Highly speculated series going RIPeroni: Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, Falcom (Ys/Legend of Heroes) and Ninja Gaiden. inb4 “slow down Satan” for the last one No Bandai Namco or Square Enix series spirits for a while cause we’ll be getting reps first. Hopefully.
Promotion: Doom. What else... maybe more Final Fantasy VII Spirits including Sephiroth, Aerith, Tifa and Cid; or more TMS spirits cause we currently only have Tsubasa and Encore released in January. Seriously, no Itsuki?
SURPRISE *****ES: Overwatch, Undertale (with changing content if you own the Sans costume), Hyperdimension Neptunia (made CERO compliant), Danganronpa (would prefer PreMiium costume first), Ori (see Danganronpa), Gunvolt (see Danganronpa), Hollow Knight, Portal. Yes, Portal.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I really want both Chief and Doomguy, so big schocker incoming, but I dont think the violence from their games impedes their chances. Not every little detail necesarily needs to transfer over to Smash when putting a character in the game. Are Sonic mains upset that Sonic doesnt have a ring mechanic and dies if he gets hit without any rings? Or are Joker mains upset that he cant romance Daisy in the middle of a match? Any Snake mains upset that cant win by trying to stealth their way through a battle?
I think the 2 fps characters should be judged on how their games actually play. On Dooms case, you have glory kills, which yeah are explicitly made to be over the top and gory, but theyre not necesary to put in his moveset. Otherwise when you play Doom, you realise the game is fast paced and requires a lot of fast thinking and zipping around enemies to win. But on the otherhand many enemies are fierce and can take you out if youre not careful. Halo is a lot more slow paced, cinematic, y Chief puede to tank some hard **** even on higher difficulties thanks to the shield system. Weapons are also very sci fi in both games. I dont think both of them are gonna get in, I think well be lucky to see one, but there is definitley room for bith of them to get in and have fun, blood free movesets that are faithful to how the games actually play.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Whoever it is, someone somewhere will be incredibly disappointed.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Which is an terrible argument as it was minor presence.
It's still a presence though. As of now, we haven't had a single character that has had ZERO presence on a Nintendo console prior to their release.

You know what semi-popular speculation character would break this rule? 2B. Not a skin anywhere, not a cameo, not anything. She has, in no shape or form, EVER appeared on a Nintendo console.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

If we're going the promotion route, I could see an event for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, New Horizons, or maybe Rune Factory 4 Special.
If we're going the deconfirmation route, I don't have any predictions, but I do have a general sense of fear -- Astral Chain showed that the spirit event doesn't need to coincide with a release date, so I feel like a ton of stuff is on the table for that.
For out-of-left-field series, maybe something Falcom? I'd prefer a fighter (Estelle plz), but I'd honestly be happy if we got anything Trails-related in Smash. I guess it'd be more fitting if they had it coincide with the Cold Steel III Switch port later this spring though.

Krankees

Smash Ace

I honestly don't know. Could be almost anything. What I do know is that I'm extremely nervous right now.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's still a presence though. As of now, we haven't had a single character that has had ZERO presence on a Nintendo console prior to their release.

You know what semi-popular speculation character would break this rule? 2B. Not a skin anywhere, not a cameo, not anything. She has, in no shape or form, EVER appeared on a Nintendo console.
2B has appeared in Phantasy Star Online as a skin. That puts her on the same level as Master Chief (appearing as a cameo in another series's game but not within her own).

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

I'm going to take Dinoman96 Dinoman96 word and say there won't be none, because I love how this site keeps trying to look for patterns when there is none

Plus ya know, it seems unlikely with a tournament going on

You know, since I want to say unlandish things today, I don't if I'm late by Smash was nominated for Kids Choice Awards, this year

It's premiering live at the end of the Month, so I'm wondering

If it won, would there be a character announcement there :4pacman:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
2B has appeared in Phantasy Star Online as a skin. That puts her on the same level as Master Chief (appearing as a cameo in another series's game but not within her own).
I stand corrected then. Seems like pretty much every popular speculation character has had a presence then. Except Kratos I guess?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Yakuza with the pocket circuit fighter as a legendary spirit.

Time to wake up
The accident was 10 years ago.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
But if Smash is fake, what have I been doing with my life?
Staring at an off screen humming music from games you've played before.

Of course smash is just a fantasy you think there'd be a game with goku using a sword fighting mario and sonic, that's the cringest fanfiction I've ever heard. This is just a fanfiction board where we pretend smash exists and we wonder what new character will join this photoshopped mess. Idk what timeline you are living in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom