• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Out of curiosity for those who want or think Waluigi will be in, what do you think his stage and music list will be? I guess his stage could be Waluigi pinball (but honestly we already have 2 Mario kart tracks so I'd rather see something else but it could be fun), but what about music?
I don't exactly want him in, nor do I think he's likely. But it's easy to imagine how some of his content could be played out. If Spirit Boards are back, that's the tricky part if you ask me.

I can see them getting Maverick bosses and different Armors for Mega Man X(and thus Zero as well), or Net Navi's for Mega Man.EXE. And Eggman could just use various boss mechs in the Sonic games. Chun-Li could use another 10 or so characters from Street Fighter's massive cast and so on. But I dunno about Waluigi.

I agree with the stage, unless they wanted a Tennis stage to reference his origins in those titles. But I would mostly recommend songs from Mario Sports games, and honestly a remix of his Pinball track. Given Ridley, despite him having a remix in Brawl got a new theme alongside it in Ultimate.

So something like Koopa Beach from Mario Sports Mix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z7hFacKfWY
He's also got a specific theme in Mario Party 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0BhNxZU4M
He and Wario share themes like in Double Dash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiNQ1k1QQng

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
People will always think this even if a Smash game adds 20 newcomers that are all villains.
Well, there ARE a lot more villains in video games than there are heroes...

Maybe I think Octolings and Tom Nook are a waste of an echo slot. At least Black Shadow has the potential to use Smash 4 Ganondorf's moveset.
Speaking of which, is Smash 4 Ganondorf the best pre-sword Ganondorf? Curious what people's opinions are.

What’s happened so far? I’ve been sleeping all day so
Mostly just watching season 3 of Castlevania.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
...Would it not be the exact opposite given the negative backlash of him being an assist again?

Especially given the whole talk and hopes of assist promotions.
Mostly, but if one AT got upgraded, and it was a "meme character" like Waluigi(despite being genuinely popular all around), quite a few people would be disappointed.

Take Shadow, Isaac, Lyn, Knuckles, Zero, Alucard, Midna, Dr.Wily, Shovel Knight, Spring-Man and, the people's Champ Bomberman and tons of their fans would probably feel slighted again, perhaps more so than ever. But I think any Assist getting in would be dope, just not plausible until I see it with my own eyes.

Personally, if I had to pick an AT, I'd rather it be Bomberman, our hero. Though if we're including FS characters, it's Mega Man X or another Mega Man all day.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
...Would it not be the exact opposite given the negative backlash of him being an assist again?

Especially given the whole talk and hopes of assist promotions.
Promoting an AT in the fighters pass is such a losing scenario in my opinion. No matter which AT becomes a fighter, fans of ALL the other options will be pissed that their favorite wasn't picked instead. Casual fans will sit there and wonder "Wait, isn't ______ already in this game?" A lot of other people will be upset at Nintendo "giving in to the memes". Even more people will be upset at a character already in the game robbing the spot that could've gone to a franchise not yet represented in Smash.

It just doesn't seem like a smart move for Nintendo to make. It would be a lot safer to go the Little Mac/Isabelle route and promote them as part of the base roster.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Lyn, Midna, and Isaac REALLY should've been playable ages ago.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Promoting an AT in the fighters pass is such a losing scenario in my opinion. No matter which AT becomes a fighter, fans of ALL the other options will be pissed that their favorite wasn't picked instead. Casual fans will sit there and wonder "Wait, isn't ______ already in this game?" A lot of other people will be upset at Nintendo "giving in to the memes". Even more people will be upset at a character already in the game robbing the spot that could've gone to a franchise not yet represented in Smash.

It just doesn't seem like a smart move for Nintendo to make. It would be a lot safer to go the Little Mac/Isabelle route and promote them as part of the base roster.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Lyn and Isaac REALLY should've been playable ages ago.
Lol you think Nintendo cares that much about a few people possibly getting pissed? They added Byleth. If they think an Assist Trophy promotion will make them enough money, they'll do it.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think you should change the stipulation in your sig from just a picture of Waluigi to a picture of Waluigi holding an Assist Trophy.

I mean, since you're so confident.
They made a Piranha Plant playable before Waluigi; hell, the description of what kind of character Sakurai want actually fit Waluigi (not being a hero and not being the main villain) and he still got benched. Of course Waluigi isn't going to be playable because the people making Smash Bros don't want him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

And this is coming from someone who thinks Lyn, Midna, and Isaac REALLY should've been playable ages ago.
Oh no, ******** and moaning. That's worse than a lot of people getting a character they like. And it's certainly not like the fanbase already does that.

No offence, but all this would all just be internet whining of no real actual consequence. If Nintendo really gave a **** about that kind of stuff they wouldn't have revealed the ATs in the way they did in the first place. Nor would they keep adding FE characters. Nintendo gonna do what Nintendo gonna do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I mean, this has happened to characters since what, Melee?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
They made a Piranha Plant playable before Waluigi; hell, the description of what kind of character Sakurai want actually fit Waluigi (not being a hero and not being the main villain) and he still got benched. Of course Waluigi isn't going to be playable because the people making Smash Bros don't want him.
Mr. Game & Watch got in before Ridley, R.O.B. got in before Mega Man, Dark Pit got in before King K. Rool. Just because a character you didn't want got in Smash before a character you did, that doesn't mean the ones you want will never get in. I don't know why you keep making terrible statements like this, Wynn. Seriously, what do you get out of it?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So why not change your sig then?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No matter which AT becomes a fighter, fans of ALL the other options will be pissed that their favorite wasn't picked instead.
Or they'll be happy that not only are ATs on the table, but they'll also never have to deal with "ATs disconfirm" arguments ever again.

Hell, I can imagine even people who don't support ATs would still be glad with the constant back and forth being over.
Casual fans will sit there and wonder "Wait, isn't ______ already in this game?"
Bold of you to assume that casual fans know or care about who is and isn't an Assist Trophy.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure literally any character announced now will cause salt and rage. So "This character getting included will upset people" probably doesn't mean anything as an argument at this point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm pretty sure literally any character announced now will cause salt and rage. So "This character getting included will upset people" probably doesn't mean anything as an argument at this point.
Ironically the "please guys ATs will TOTALLY get promoted!" crowd are being added to that list regardless of if a character's a promoted AT or not, it's why I muted that AssistAlliance bull**** on twitter as soon as I saw it as I knew it was false unity

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity for those who want or think Waluigi will be in, what do you think his stage and music list will be? I guess his stage could be Waluigi pinball (but honestly we already have 2 Mario kart tracks so I'd rather see something else but it could be fun), but what about music?
I remember seeing a suggestion that Waluigi should come entirely with Spirits and Music from, of all games, Luigi's Mansion 3. At first I thought it was weird... and then I realized it's actually genius, because it would be a way to keep playing up Waluigi's underdog status even after getting promoted: the poor guy finally gets to be playable... only for him to come with side content focusing entirely on his arch-rival instead of Waluigi himself.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember seeing a suggestion that Waluigi should come entirely with Spirits and Music from, of all games, Luigi's Mansion 3. At first I thought it was weird... and then I realized it's actually genius, because it would be a way to keep playing up Waluigi's underdog status even after getting promoted: the poor guy finally gets to be playable... only for him to come with side content focusing entirely on his arch-rival instead of Waluigi himself.
Oh my god that is actually hilarious, I approve of this.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Imagine still being bitter about the Plant almost a year and a half later.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but literally the only place I've seen people still whining about the plant has been here. Like it kind of makes sense, this place is specifically about talking about wanted characters and nobody wanted plant, but still, suck it up and move on, do something productive.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just lucky, but literally the only place I've seen people still whining about the plant has been here. Like it kind of makes sense, this place is specifically about talking about wanted characters and nobody wanted plant, but still, suck it up and move on, do something productive.
/r/smashbros was pretty upset when he was revealed, but there opinion turned around over time and eventually welcomed him with open arms.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
A terrible roster pick is a terrible roster pick forever.

I'm still mad about Ice Climbers!

Never forgive. Never forget.
Sure, but Ice Climbers have fans now. Same with all the weird reps that Smash has had. I used to main Mr Game and Watch in Brawl and a bit in Smash 4, remember how disappointed people were of Ice Climbers being excluded in Smash 4?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers does prove that the game you're from doesn't actually have to be good (R.O.B. is a piece of hardware, so whether his games are bad or not is irrelevant).

Bubsy confirmed!

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Another thing to note is Sakurai clearly doesn’t care if a character is gonna cause salt or not. You saw the way this ************ smiled putting up the Byleth poster. He knew what he was doing

also side note, I’m new here, is there a way to turn off censorship?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers does prove that the game you're from doesn't actually have to be good (R.O.B. is a piece of hardware, so whether his games are bad or not is irrelevant).

Bubsy confirmed!
God, they've really done nothing with Ice Climbers. The original game was clunky as hell but the idea of a game centered around controlling two characters (or working with another player) with a variety of mountaineering equipment seems like it'd be perfect fodder for a reboot... Still nothing.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Dang, I've gotta post my updated idealized-but-still-halfway-realistic fighter pass before another character I like gets (all but) deconfirmed. Already had to swap Doom Slayer out. Shame too, because out of anyone, he was too pure for this world. ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭

But, yeah, now Mister Chef is there. Also reordered the fighters, so Travis can somewhat preempt his release, and MC and 2B (who I figure would cause the most hype) would coincide with E3s 2020 and 2021 respectively. Well Waluigi would also cause a ruckus, but, as a rule, he is last. :laugh:

Oh and I also made corresponding Mii waves.

I'd say the most realistic part of this whole thing is the overabundance of swords. :laugh:

If you've any feedback, please express it more meaningfully than just a number, thanks.
1/6

Just kidding

I like Travis Touchdown and I think he would be a good first character for Fighters Pass 2 just to hear Robin Atkin Downes hilarious scream when Travis gets KO'd. Very surprised not to see a Hollow Knight costume with him though.

I'm very indifferent to Master Chief because I want Doom Guy more than him but regardless I think he could have a unique gimmick in that his jabs and all of his tilts are replaced by free aim shooting somewhat like Megaman where you can walk while you shoot but you can shoot in all 360 degree angles. Also having his down special allowing him to change weapons so he can fire different sorts of attacks.

I don't really have much to say about KOS-MOS but her being a full gun user like Samus, Megaman and Mii Gunner would be cool to see since we are sorely lacking in that part of the roster.

Again not much to say about Amaterasu except she would be the most unique sword fighter we've ever gotten.

I'm not crazy about 2B like most people are, like I've said previously I don't think she would be all that unique compared the other sword fighters we have on the roster.

Waluigi is kind of lame because everyone keeps suggesting that his moveset should include nothing but sports. Waluigi should have a unique moveset based on cheating since that's the biggest part of his character.

It's not a RE or Astral Chain hard deconfirm, but I certainly think this 2B thing would count as a soft deconfirm. Is it possible she still shows up? Yeah, but it's also possible Doom Slayer still shows up, despite that statement.
The difference between 2B and Doom Guy's situation is that it's possible the Marty Stratton interview might be deflection if ID software approached Nintendo instead of being approached. 2B is still possible if Sakurai communicated with Yoko Taro over a phone but that just seems like a weak guess.

Or they'll be happy that not only are ATs on the table, but they'll also never have to deal with "ATs disconfirm" arguments ever again.

Hell, I can imagine even people who don't support ATs would still be glad with the constant back and forth being over.
But if he's the final character of the DLC, at that point it wouldn't matter because Super Smash Bros Ultimate would be over so the argument would be pointless.

Imagine still being bitter about the Plant almost a year and a half later.
Still hate Isabelle and Incineroar to this day. Incineroar because he stole Decidueye's spot and Isabelle because she offers absolutely nothing new and is a clone character pretending to be unique. I'm glad she is a garbage character.

Another thing to note is Sakurai clearly doesn’t care if a character is gonna cause salt or not. You saw the way this ************ smiled putting up the Byleth poster. He knew what he was doing

also side note, I’m new here, is there a way to turn off censorship?
No! You're stuck with censorship forever!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Bold of you to assume that casual fans know or care about who is and isn't an Assist Trophy.
Even if they do, wouldn't they be glad to see the character do more than just run around and do 3 attacks? Or if that's their playstyle, actually be the one who's making Waluigi or whoever do that?

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Late reply but- I’d be fine with this if it was just the spirits. I need some Waluigi songs in ultimate.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd rather have HD Waluigi Pinball in Mario Kart 8 DX than Smash but I'd still be up for it (what we really need though, Mario stage-wise, is a proper Bowser's Castle)

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Hypothetically if Waluigi made it, his spirit board and stage could be tied to whatever Mario game is coming out around his release. Could be anything from a new Mario Party to Odyssey 2.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hypothetically if Waluigi made it, his spirit board and stage could be tied to whatever Mario game is coming out around his release. Could be anything from a new Mario Party to Odyssey 2.
Would be awkward if he doesn't show up in the game he's promoting.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Would be awkward if he doesn't show up in the game he's promoting.
If it's a party/sports game he should be fine. If it's a RPG or a platformer then yeah that'd be awkward - but that'd also be so Waluigi, advertising a game he doesn't even appear in!

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Theoretically, I would be kinda pissed if Waluigi was in this pass, because when I payed for it, I was expecting new ****, not something I already that was in game, but with the switch turned off

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Dang, I've gotta post my updated idealized-but-still-halfway-realistic fighter pass before another character I like gets (all but) deconfirmed. Already had to swap Doom Slayer out. Shame too, because out of anyone, he was too pure for this world. ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭

But, yeah, now Mister Chef is there. Also reordered the fighters, so Travis can somewhat preempt his release, and MC and 2B (who I figure would cause the most hype) would coincide with E3s 2020 and 2021 respectively. Well Waluigi would also cause a ruckus, but, as a rule, he is last. :laugh:

Oh and I also made corresponding Mii waves.

I'd say the most realistic part of this whole thing is the overabundance of swords. :laugh:

If you've any feedback, please express it more meaningfully than just a number, thanks.
Sorry if it's a bit late, but here it goes:

Travis - I haven't played any games from him (need to correct that), so I don't know his full potential, but I unironically love (fast) Swordfighters, so I'd be interested in how he plays.

Master Chief - From what I heard Master Chief has an array of weapons at his disposal including an energy sword. So while not my top pick, I appreciate character who can bring a mix of long range and short range combat.

KOS-MOS: Basically a walking Swiss army knife, with even more array of weapons than MC, she's on the list of characters I'd like to see in smash,

Amaterasu - HELL YEAH SHE'D BE THE... *ahem* I-I mean eh sure why not, she an okay pick, it's not like she's amazing or anything. If for some reason you think switching weapons stances and draw art into reality is cool, then yeah she okay, go crazy.

2B - Or not 2B? That is the question. The answer is a definite yes. From what I've played off her in Soul Calibur, I'm all for her.

Waluigi - I'm indifferent to. I don't have much interest in him, but I know he's a popular AT pick.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Theoretically, I would be kinda pissed if Waluigi was in this pass, because when I payed for it, I was expecting new ****, not something I already that was in game, but with the switch turned off
But Waluigi being playable would be new content. There is not a playable Waluigi in the base game.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I would say that's mostly on you for having specific expecations for the pass and purchasing it blind, and to me Waluigi being playable would in no way be "old" content.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai spoke about Chrono Trigger, why isn't anyone talking about how obvious a hint this is?

please I'll take anything I can get

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I won't be left in tears if 2B doesn't get in, but I do think it'll be interesting to see how the fanbase responds. A lot of people were pushing her like she was guaranteed.
The reaction will be about the same as Spring Man and Rex’s disconfirmation.

Waluigi. Divisive for sure. It's a first party after a slew of third parties,
This implies the main reason why Byleth was divisive was because he was a Nintendo character and not the 8th FE character. Only a vocal minority would be upset at the inclusion of first-party DLC characters in the second pass. Heck, his AT reveal was one of the few ones the NY crowd was unhappy with (and that is saying something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom