• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
To be completly fair ... Sakurai really seem to have something against Spin Off that aren't Mario, be it Pokemon and everything that is Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rangers, or Pokken, there is none of that in Smash, not even a song
Zelda is the same, Hyrule Warriors didn't even get a single track desepite having one of the best remixes the series ever produced, so ... I don't know if they would pull in the incarnation of a character from that game, when they even refuse to put a JPEG from that game in Smash

Though you're right, HW Impa slap, but every character slap in this game TBH, so it's not like it make her more special than the rest of the possible Zelda rep haha
LOL I guess that's true. Even Tingle was kicking ass in that game. Hm, I wonder why Sakurai so against spin-offs? I think that severely limits the creative potential of a lot of different characters, especially Zelda ones since we rarely see anyone besides Link or Ganondorf in combat. I guess if we couldn't get Impa, Urbosa could be a pretty cool, modernly relevant Zelda character to add. She's got a sword and shield and everything.

D

Deleted member

No, I haven't. Dynasty Warriors and it's reskins don't interest me. Also they aren't going to pull anything from a Warriors spinoff for Impa when a quick clone job is an option.
Sadly, I highly doubt Impa only because she really gained traction in Hyrule Warriors. She's very original there and it stuck with a lot of people. She plays very quickly but wields long and heavy weapons, which would make her stand out from Sheik who's just very quick and hits light.

Now I doubt Hyrule Warriors stook out enough for Nintendo to choose from that game--let alone--Impa as a newcomer, but she'd be cool.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sakurai count the Fire Emblem mobile game as good enough to put in Smash? Or am I missing some serious FE lore and it's somehow canon enough to not be called a spinoff?
I just remember some confusion over how Three Houses being called FE17 rather than FE16 in the wake of the Byleth reveal.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I'm holding out for some sort of Ganon/Ganondorf fotm to be added as a BotW 2 rep. Granted, we know next to nothing about this game, so it could be a character we've never even seen yet -- and the fact that FPv2's complementary Mii costume is from BotW doesn't give me high hopes for a Zelda rep this pass, but the Nintendo fan in me hopes that Nintendo gives Zelda a character in this pass instead of Pokemon or something.

I'd still accept Waluigi over a Zelda rep tho. 'haha funny meme plumber' is the only reason i will give

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
LOL I guess that's true. Even Tingle was kicking ass in that game. Hm, I wonder why Sakurai so against spin-offs? I think that severely limits the creative potential of a lot of different characters, especially Zelda ones since we rarely see anyone besides Link or Ganondorf in combat. I guess if we couldn't get Impa, Urbosa could be a pretty cool, modernly relevant Zelda character to add. She's got a sword and shield and everything.
... To be completly honest, I made several Zelda moveset, and while some of them inspire themselves in some ways from Hyrule Warriors, they are mostly based on their canon counterpart, my Midna one specifically only have like .. One move from HW, and it was just the adaptation of another one of her powers really haha, so it's completly possible to do, because Hyrule Warriors didn't "create" a lot of things, they just adapted a lot of canon things, which is what made it so pleasing to play, as a Zelda fans

As for the champions, I dunno ... I always felt like their "popularity" was more about "Oh yeah, they are from the latest game that worked, guess we have to put one of them" instead of "Wow they are such cool characters ! Really want them in !", but that steem down from the fact that BOTW ... Wasn't really the best at making characters (And that hurt to say about such an amazing franchise like Zelda that usually exel in that, but it's true for BOTW)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It will be a good day when this forsaken information drought ends completely. It's tiresome to talk about when the next Direct drops over and over.
There's a very good chance that Nintendo has nothing to show from their line-up and this year is barren for them. With how we've had three separate directs of different games for the past two months it seems they don't have a lot of games to reveal. I'm not gonna be surprised if we get a Xenoblade direct instead of a general direct this month.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's a very good chance that Nintendo has nothing to show from their line-up and this year is barren for them. With how we've had three separate directs of different games for the past two months it seems they don't have a lot of games to reveal. I'm not gonna be surprised if we get a Xenoblade direct instead of a general direct this month.
I, for one, would welcome a Xenoblade direct

didn’t X get dedicated directs or

MattX20

Smash Hero
Doesn't really make sense considering how popular the Switch is and I imagine 3rd parties have some games lined up for it

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It will be a good day when this forsaken information drought ends completely. It's tiresome to talk about when the next Direct drops over and over.
Pssht this drought isn't so bad, ya big baby, you just need patience. Just look at me...
skeleton-water-desert-human-bottle-30969297.jpg

Can someone scratch my back, my skin's bit dry out here.
[\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I doubt it'll be that severe.

Worst-case scenario, BotW 2 and Pokemon SwSh DLC will be the highlights of E3 2020. It's not great, but I think it'll be just as good as last year's when LM3 and SwSh were the focus.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Pssht this drought isn't so bad, ya big baby, you just need patience. Just look me...
View attachment 264732
Can someone scratch my back, my skin's bit dry out here.
[\SPOILER]
Imagine actually waiting for the direct like a PATIENT person when you could just cryogenically preserve yourself like any normal person would do.
cryopreservation.jpeg

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That would be a bit disappointing for me, but they will announce at least a few games during this year, that's for sure.
First months of the year are usually very relaxed and 'empty' for Nintendo these last years, not that I have a problem at all with that because for other platforms most of their big games are usually released before summer,

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Doesn't really make sense considering how popular the Switch is and I imagine 3rd parties have some games lined up for it
My guess is that the third party games are still far away from being released or they're not enough for a general direct. Hell, Doom Eternal isn't even gonna get released on the Switch in March, the release date for the Switch version is left in an ambiguous "2020" slot.

Bayonetta 3 is another weird situation where Platinum Games are making big changes and announcements yet nothing related to Bayonetta 3, we've had Platinum Games tell us the game is on it's way but we've literally gotten nothing since 2017.

SMT V is another third party title coming to the Switch that Atlus is taking their sweet ass time with, like three Persona 5 games got released before even a gameplay trailer for SMT V got revealed. Atlus said they'll show something related to the game this year, but it's Atlus, they'll find a way to delay the information.

It seems there aren't that many first party and third party titles coming to the Switch in the first half of 2020. If that's the case then it makes sense there hasn't been a general direct yet.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Imagine actually waiting for the direct like a PATIENT person when you could just cryogenically preserve yourself like any normal person would do.
View attachment 264734
I was going to, but they said I was $79.99 to short for cryogenic preservation.

I could of waited to buy Granblue Fantasy Versus (character set) later but noooooo...

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm hoping there's more than DLC and the few games we know of for the post March period - 2018 was a little bit of a dry year, but then that was when I got Switch games I hadn't bought in 2017 and caught up with some old Wii U ports, so it was fine for me

In all honesty, Animal Crossing is going to completely claim my life in 16 days, but knowing what stuff's coming in the future is always reassuring - which is why I don't quite agree with the 'there are so many games out right now, why do you want a direct' angle when it's not really about playing stuff now (unless the direct does a shadowdrop) and more about that good feeling of knowing stuff is on the horizon

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lmao ShoShi absolutely wasn't focused at E3 at all, especially as the only thing they really showed off was Nessa
What universe were you living in back then?

SwSh was basically the main game Nintendo showcased at last year's E3. They had several booths with demos, lots of decorations including banners and small statues, and lanyards that they were handing out to attendees.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sakurai count the Fire Emblem mobile game as good enough to put in Smash? Or am I missing some serious FE lore and it's somehow canon enough to not be called a spinoff?
I just remember some confusion over how Three Houses being called FE17 rather than FE16 in the wake of the Byleth reveal.
Yes, and only a song but still. Heroes is 100% a spin-off which makes it weird to me that it's even counted as FE16.

Also, come on! You have "Gear Up For..." but couldn't get "God Shattering Star"? It's not even a licensing issue like "Whims of Fate" would have been it's the same company

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What universe were you living in back then?

SwSh was basically the main game Nintendo showcased at last year's E3. They had several booths with demos, lots of decorations including banners and small statues, and lanyards that they were handing out to attendees.
Ah, I thought you meant the E3 Direct which was just a recap of the Pokemon news that was a week prior outside of Nessa

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I believe you when you say it takes little effort because you make zero attempt to actually post anything productive, interesting, amiable, logical, or even original. Ranting about everything and not having to critically think when called out for being wrong is remarkably effortless.
Literally nothing posted here is productive. It's not like any of these post are going to affect Smash Bros or it's future. You typing this isn't even productive at all. Me responding to this isn't productive. I guess it's only productive if we just keep spouting positive crap and refrain from saying anything that can be considered negative. Do I need to keep listing all the stuff I like about game before I dare say something bad about it?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd honestly say Doom is to Japan as Dragon Quest is to the West. Both are extremely popular in their home country and are considered some of the most important games in defining their genre, but have yet to find footing overseas beyond a small but very dedicated group of fans.
It's not an unfounded comparison, but I think, given the sheer magnitude of the respective series, the true parallel for Dragon Quest would be Halo. It might be less influential than Doom, but since its existence I'd say it's also been a much higher-profile series.

Plus up until the XB1 Halo did have somewhat of a fanbase within Japan, while Doom's Japanese fanbase, to my knowledge, is quite small. Like, per capita, I imagine it's smaller than DQ's western fanbase.

Barring any virus-related production delays, I don't imagine that will be true. That said, I really don't know what they're holding out for at this point. We've been waiting for this Direct for 1/6 of the Switch's life.

All I did was put in a throw away line, you're acting like I made a giant paragraph that only focused on Assist Trophy.
Can’t even admit it, huh?

Well the point of my post was that the festering obsession you’re unable to let go will ultimately hinder you the most, and that’s true whether you’re big enough to acknowledge it or not.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the only reason why ATs are so hated is because a lot of people think it's a permanent deconfirmation.

If Waluigi or Isaac got in through one of the six remaining slots, then I feel like ATs would suddenly be treated way better than they are now.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I think the only reason why ATs are so hated is because a lot of people think it's a permanent deconfirmation.

If Waluigi or Isaac got in through one of the six remaining slots, then I feel like ATs would suddenly be treated way better than they are now.
Let's ignore the fact that there's a precedent that disproves ATs being permabans currently in the game right now. Mac might not be good, but he's at least mostly playable

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel weird that the lack of Zelda newcomers never bothered me.

We have the most important games represented already in some form we don't really need anymore than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom