• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
what characters have things that would work with the letter getting thing? Like Villager opening up his mailbox and Joker calling card.

For Dante I could easily see him slouched in his chair at his business, telling the dark figure that they're closed before the letter is suddenly revealed showing off mario- Fight ensues. Or maybe something with him seeing Bayonetta because they're closely linked. Pretty much just hypothetical reveal trailers and how they'd show off the letter

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that I've taken some time to see what certain games are all about (ones I haven't played I mean), I feel as though I definitely want at least one pick in the pass to be from a game I haven't played or I'm not familiar with. Sure, there are plenty of characters I want in the game that I think would be really cool, but there's something cool about there being a new face you're not as familiar with.

I haven't played games like Rune Factory, Danganronpa, No More Heroes...seeing a character from those types of games would be a breath of fresh air for me, as I'd probably end up playing the games with them making it into Smash. Though...I've developed plans to play those games regardless of them getting into Smash at this point. I have to stop though, because MY BACKLOG IS SO MASSIVE ALREADY.

Halp. Please.
Yeah, there's a certain magic in rediscovering franchises that you don't know or that maybe you already knew about in some form but never tried. Before playing Smash I knew about Metal Gear Solid, to name one franchise, but I never felt interest in playing the games, but thanks to Smash (and the internet) I began to feel curiosity for Snake and his games thanks to him, the music, the stage, or the trophies from previous Smash games. Hell, sometimes it isn't even necessary to have a franchise in Smash, speculation helps to bring attention to IPs not represented in Smash.
That was my case with Ace Attorney. I knew of the franchise for a long time but nothing more, then thanks to speculation I wanted to try the games. That was a few weeks before The Game Awards, and now I've played all the mainline games of the series lol

D

Deleted member

We got Hero and Banjo at E3 for wave 1
In what world are those two not heavy hitter?
I was talking about your current list of heavy hitters. "Dante, Master chief, 2B, Heihachi or Sora"

Hero and Banjo were both leaked extensively so of course they were discussed regardless of their specific popularity. Dante? 2B? Heihachi? They've always been brought up as super likely or popular but I'm not seeing the pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
what characters have things that would work with the letter getting thing? Like Villager opening up his mailbox and Joker calling card.

For Dante I could easily see him slouched in his chair at his business, telling the dark figure that they're closed before the letter is suddenly revealed showing off mario- Fight ensues. Or maybe something with him seeing Bayonetta because they're closely linked. Pretty much just hypothetical reveal trailers and how they'd show off the letter
Kazuma Kiryu:

Gets a phone call at home that something big and dangerous is going on in Kamurocho, he rushes over there to help his town and sees the characters from smash fighting in his home turf, so he jumps into the fight as well.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

I totally picture a fake-out with someone's mail, it looks all dramatic, but then it's just a discount Pizza code or something, to the character's mild satisfaction. Then the rest of the Smash cast suddenly barge in with the invite or something.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I find it weird that even though we're in the biggest gap between general Directs ever, I'm not really craving one. I guess I just feel like I have enough games to play already, such as DQ XI (which is very long, so I'm still making my way through it), and a sizeable backlog too. Not to mention I have plenty of shows and movies to watch, as well as books to read.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to the next fighter reveal, albeit patiently. To be honest, I'm pretty satisfied with the roster the way it is, and the only character I really want at this point who hasn't missed there chance already is Lloyd. There's a few others I'd want too, like Phoenix Wright, but I got most of what I wanted already from base game and the first Fighter's Pass. I also don't have a lot to speculate, since I'm not super knowledgeable on a huge variety of games, meaning I have little to predict or add to conversation. I haven't been as active here recently for those reasons.

So yeah, that's pretty much it then. Looking forward to whoever they add, hoping Lloyd gets in, and like others, I think a reveal soon is likely, now that the card for Fighter's Pass 2 is coming.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Dante should be something like that. I would put Bayonetta in there if another character has to appear before the reveal.

I was talking about your current list of heavy hitters. "Dante, Master chief, 2B, Heihachi or Sora"

Hero and Banjo were both leaked extensively so of course they were discussed regardless of their specific popularity. Dante? 2B? Heihachi? They've always been brought up as super likely or popular but I'm not seeing the pattern.
I guess it's because Hero and Banjo despite of being leaked and discussed a lot of times you could say these 2 reveals are perfect E3 material. If we get another reveal at E3, which is pretty much guaranteed if you ask me, these names make sense for a place like E3. Of course, there's the possibility that at E3 we get a 'small' character, but I don't believe that's very likely.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Grovyle, Pelliper mail is one of the most iconic parts of the subseries. It'd be disappointing if that was how he was revealed, but it works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess it's because Hero and Banjo despite of being leaked and discussed a lot of times you could say these 2 reveals are perfect E3 material. If we get another reveal at E3, which is pretty much guaranteed if you ask me, these names make sense for a place like E3. Of course, there's the possibility that at E3 we get a 'small' character, but I don't believe that's very likely.
I mean the difference between Hero/Banjo versus someone like Dante or Sora is that we all virtually expected Hero or Banjo, while the "big names" we've come to discuss now don't really have any evidence backing their chances.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did someone say... Tuesday?

IT'S TAKO TUESDAY!!!

Ahem... This octopus died to be a tako taco, so yeah, there's your death for today.
Noooo! Not my little Veemo/Oomi! :crying:

the joke is Octoling

Eldrake

Smash Lord
"This week we're finally going to have the Nintendo Direct!" says increasingly starved Nintendo fan the 11th week in a row.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
More ideas for a Kiryu trailer:

Have him at one point in the trailer doing his taunt taunt on mementos in front of Makoto because Makoto is canonically a Yakuza fan.

Also late into the trailer we hear a familiar voice saying "It wouldn't be the Ultimate battle without the two of us, eh, Kiryu-chan?" And it cuts to this as a stage hazzard:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Paper Mario opens the invitation, reads it, folds himself up into paper and jumps into the envelope then mails himself back to Smash

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Oh ! Are we doing our Dream Smash Reveal Trailer ? I had one I made for Midna some times ago, might as well share it if the subject goes with it hehe

"Link in his Green Tunic alt is facing off against Toon Link and Zelda in a Gerudo Desert like environnement, he's loosing pretty hard to the Tag Team of the hero and the Princess, and the two are about to launch a devastating attack of Toon Link leaping at him with his Sword, and Zelda launching the Phantom Armor at him, when suddenly a Shadowy hand come from Link's Shadow, stopping both of the Swords, a lazy familiar yawn can be heard, as a voice accompany it
"Geez Link, I wake up to that? You really can't do anything by yourself Wolf Boy, guess I'll have to help you out Eh-he-he!" color began to be restored to the shadow, as her trademark gigle can be heard

Midna! Step out of the Shadows!

Cue Midna gameplay

In the end of the game play, a Ganondorf with a stunned TP Zelda are on screen as it cuts back to CGI, with Midna angry expression as she make the Fused Shadows appear around her, and the trailer cut at the moment her gigantic Elderlich form is about to slam her spear against Ganondorf"

(In case anyone is confused as to my choice of opponent, it's a reference to Toon Link and Spirit Zelda being companions in Spirit Tracks, while TP Link and Midna are companions in Twilight Princess !)

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Imagine we get FP6 announced this month but doesn't release until June?
I honestly wouldn't mind since we at least would have an idea of what were looking forward too. That wait wouldn't even be as long as the wait between Jokers reveal to release (December 18- April 19) so even better

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Did someone say... Tuesday?

IT'S TAKO TUESDAY!!!

Ahem... This octopus died to be a tako taco, so yeah, there's your death for today.
Friday night is taco tuesday but instead of Tacos, let's just talk... oh...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean the difference between Hero/Banjo versus someone like Dante or Sora is that we all virtually expected Hero or Banjo, while the "big names" we've come to discuss now don't really have any evidence backing their chances.
I’d argue Dante has the most circumstantial evidence for a Smash debut. Most other characters though? There isn’t much to connect back to Smash.

D

Deleted member

I’d argue Dante has the most circumstantial evidence for a Smash debut. Most other characters though? There isn’t much to connect back to Smash.
Remind me what Dante has because it probably got lost in the Byleth salt. I remember the interview where the guy was like "Let's put DMC on Switch before Dante in Smash," and that's currently what is happening.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I am the only person on the planet who wants Shanoa and need proof of the contrary
I made a fairly convincing shanoa on soul Calibur 6 with 2b soul. I want her... Just not before Alucard. At least is tied with Soma Cruz :0.... Also a character should be able to have more echoes and Trevor should be another Simon echo

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Remind me what Dante has because it probably got lost in the Byleth salt. I remember the interview where the guy was like "Let's put DMC on Switch before Dante in Smash," and that's currently what is happening.
Other than that, I believe it is just misunderstanding things V's voice actor has said about Dante in relation to Smash. It was click baited as him leaking information when it just wasn't him doing that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
wow- Y'all, I was just saying that we'll probably get a more known character at E3, a heavy hitter, no matter who it is, instead of someone in the vein of Terry or Byleth (And I love Terry and consider him a gigantic Icon, I'm just talking about general appeal here) I was just giving exemples out of my head.
Not that we had proof of who was coming- geee- :bobomb:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

I have one in mind for Adeleine already.

It's a recreation of the 64's second possession cutscene where she finds a crystal shard while trying to paint, only it's a Smash invite that falls from the sky. She then paints a scene of Kirby fighting Samus and ROB that transitions into her reveal within the fight.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
For those who have a Steam account there are some cool sales like the Sega one: Puyo Puyo, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza...
I mean, Yakuza 0 is at 5 bucks. That's a steal for such a great game.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Other than that, I believe it is just misunderstanding things V's voice actor has said about Dante in relation to Smash. It was click baited as him leaking information when it just wasn't him doing that.
For me, I actually forgot about the thing with V’s voice actor. I don’t even think of that.

It’s mainly that:

1) Nintendo is making the picks, could tie into promotional type picks

2) Devil May Cry 3 Switch is basically the “definitive edition”, which is quite similar to DQXIS. The difference is that DMC is obviously far older, which seems...strange to do.

3) The overall context of Devil May Cry on Switch in general came down to Dante being suggested for Smash. The first reveal of DMC1 came only a few months after that interview so, hypothetically, the conversation takes off from that interview, with the obvious context being “Dante4Smush?”.

4) With Resident Evil and Monster Hunter out, (MH is debatable), DMC is the one Capcom series most relevant to Nintendo at the moment business-wise, with potentially further support in the future. Mega Man and Street Fighter are in, Okami is dormant (though I hope it comes back), and Ace Attorney is awaiting another game.

5) If I remember correctly, decisions regarding Fighter Pass 2 were in progress around E3 when Hero and Banjo were revealed. This is just after DMC1 was announced for Switch. Could mean something, could also not mean anything.

It’s obviously circumstantial, but it’s definitely more than plenty of other characters have to go on as it stands currently. I try to keep bias out of it mainly because Dante is my most wanted, and I mainly see DMC and AA as the top competing Capcom series in FP2.

Obviously, folks believed Capcom and Namco we’re getting in during FP1, and that didn’t happen. While I won’t call anybody a lock until we get more information, I do think it’s worth keeping this sort of “circumstantial” evidence in mind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me, I actually forgot about the thing with V’s voice actor. I don’t even think of that.

It’s mainly that:

2) Devil May Cry 3 Switch is basically the “definitive edition”, which is quite similar to DQXIS. The difference is that DMC is obviously far older, which seems...strange to do.

3) The overall context of Devil May Cry on Switch in general came down to Dante being suggested for Smash. The first reveal of DMC1 came only a few months after that interview so, hypothetically, the conversation takes off from that interview, with the obvious context being “Dante4Smush?”.

4) With Resident Evil and Monster Hunter out, (MH is debatable), DMC is the one Capcom series most relevant to Nintendo at the moment business-wise, with potentially further support in the future. Mega Man and Street Fighter are in, Okami is dormant (though I hope it comes back), and Ace Attorney is awaiting another game.

It’s obviously circumstantial, but it’s definitely more than plenty of other characters have to go on as it stands currently. I try to keep bias out of it mainly because Dante is my most wanted, and I mainly see DMC and AA as the top competing Capcom series in FP2.

Obviously, folks believed Capcom and Namco we’re getting in during FP1, and that didn’t happen. While I won’t call anybody a lock until we get more information, I do think it’s worth keeping this sort of “circumstantial” evidence in mind.
Wow. That is definitely making Dante look like a candidate. I really need to play DMC 5 when I get home.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

It’s mainly that:

What they did with DMC3 on Switch was strange, that's for sure. I mean, it's a super beloved game and the most iconic entry in the series but at the same time, it's a game that came out in 2005... Dragon Quest XI released in 2018 and the Definitive Edition came out a year after and it's a franchise with strong ties to Nintendo, so there's a difference.

As you say this doesn't mean anything and doesn't guarantee nothing, but it's certainly a curiosity, at least for the moment.

D

Deleted member

wow- Y'all, I was just saying that we'll probably get a more known character at E3, a heavy hitter, no matter who it is, instead of someone in the vein of Terry or Byleth (And I love Terry and consider him a gigantic Icon, I'm just talking about general appeal here) I was just giving exemples out of my head.
Not that we had proof of who was coming- geee- :bobomb:
Mate all I did was disagree with you lol. I honestly forgot you were a leaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom