• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Company Passes huh, well I’ll do a worthy version and who I’d want more selfishly will be in brackets.

Capcom
1. Jill Valentine “Resident Evil” (Leon Kennedy)
2. Dante “Devil May Cry”
3. Pheonix Wright “Ace Attourney” (Nemesis)
4. Mike Haggar “Final Fight” (Urien)
5. Amaterasu “Okami” (Vergil)
6. Arthur “Ghosts and Goblins” (Wesker)

Namco
1. Heihachi “Tekken”
2. Nightmare “Soul Calibur”
3. Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) (Solarie)
4. Lloyd “Tales of” (Cervantes)
5. Klonoa “Klonoa” (King)
6. The Prince “Katamari Damacy” (Steve)

Square Enix
1. Sora “Kingdom Hearts”
2. Sephiroth “Final Fantasy”
3. Lara Croft “Tomb Raider”
4. Chrono “Chrono Trigger”
5. Agnes “Bravely Default” (Riku)
6. Geno “Super Mario RPG”

Microsoft
1. Master Chief “Halo”
2. Steve “Minecraft” (Gruntilda)
3. Conker “Conkers Bad Fur Day”
4. Rash “Battletoads” (Arbiter)
5. Fulgore “Killer Instinct” (Aganos)
6. Joanna Dark “Perfect Dark” (Mumbo Jumbo)

Sega
1. Shadow “Sonic”
2. Knuckles “Sonic”
3. Aiai “Super Monkey Ball” (Tails)
4. Dr Robotnic “Sonic”
5. Jack Frost ”Megami Tensei” (Amy)
6. Akira “Virtua Fighter” (Rouge)

Konami
1. Goemon “Mystical Ninja”
2. Bomberman “Bomberman”
3. Alucard “Castlevania”
4. Bill Rizer “Contra”
5. Raiden “Metal Gear Solid”
6. Frogger “Frogger” (The Boss)

Ubisoft (That’s all)
1. Rayman “Rayman”
2. Altair “Assassins Creed”
3. Prince “Prince of Persia”

Activision
1. Crash “Crash Bandicoot”
2. Spyro “Spyro the dragon”
3. Tracer “Overwatch” (Dr Neo Cortex)
4. Diablo “Diablo” (Ripto)
5. Johnny Knox “Guitar Hero”
6. Jim Raynor “Starcraft” (Gnasty Knorc)

Koei Techmo (That’s all)

1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
2. Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
3. Yuri (Fatal Frame)
4. Suezo (Monster Rancher)
5. Nobunaga? (Dynasty Warriors)
6. ???

Snk (don’t know enough, there would be a metal slug rep tho)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Junko Enoshima from Danganronpa with a slightly edited design
Would be interesting to have someone who isn't the main hero of their series join as a third party, even if it's one I dont personally like.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Pokemon brings a new playstyle with every character they release while Fire Emblem has two echoes from the same game. It absolutely is a fair comparison.
Not to mention that Pokemon mainly look drastically different from each other which helps keep them from looking repetitive.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention that Pokemon mainly look drastically different from each other which helps keep them from looking repetitive.
Besides Pikachu and Pichu that is but their gameplay style has evolved since Melee.
For the others, Cahrizard and Incinaroar do share the distinction of being fire-starter heavyweights but their actual gameplay is much different from each other.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's so fake that it hurts. I mean, it doesn't look like a Smash Ultimate render would look.

Ike : Sakurai straight up had just a blank slot for a Fire Emblem rep in Brawl until Intelligent Systems told him to use Ike because he was the newest.
To clarify, that wasn't the case. Sakurai wanted a character who could use a heavy sword, then he chose Ike. AFAIK he didn't kept a slot for a Fire Emblem character.

Huh, I guess the skirt is a bit longer than I remember, I'll give you that, but it's genuinely hard to see Dante as anything other than Joker 2.0.
Maybe I'm missing something in your post but lol? Because I think that in any case what it's genuinely hard to believe is that someone could think that Dante would be Joker 2.0.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
On the topic of the Junko/Monokuma fake render, hypothetically if it's real, wouldn't Junko be a Pokemon Trainer figure of sorts just lounging in the background while Monokuma does the dirty work?

It'd probably be a way to justify having both. At the very least, that's what I think. Monokuma does the fighting and Junko being Junko in the background and reacting to the match.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Maybe I'm missing something in your post but lol? Because I think that in any case what it's genuinely hard to believe is that someone could think that Dante would be Joker 2.0.
It's just hard to think of a niche that would be covered by Dante that isn't already done by Joker. He's already got both melee weapons and guns, he's already got a very active, acrobatic style of fighting and I can't help but think Devil Trigger would just be Arsene. I don't see how they'd play or feel different.

D

Deleted member

5. Nobunaga? (Dynasty Warriors)
*Samurai Warriors, but Nobunaga's Ambition is another game that features Nobunaga since, you know.

Also, it's Leap Day [in America], so today, I wanna know what potential DLC characters could end up having the highest jump or the best recover in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokemon and FE are different in the sense that only one of the two requires Sakurai to go out of his way just to make a newcomer feel unique.

Honestly, I think it's harder to make a Pokemon a clone character than it is a fully unique character. Almost every Pokemon we have on the roster has a design and moveset so specific to them that the only way you might be able to get away with a clone character is if you pull a Pichu and pick a different evolutionary stage of the same Pokemon. Even then, there's still no guarantee it would work. Neither Litten or Torracat would works as an Incineroar clone.

With most FE characters, there aren't many traits that would force Sakurai to make the character unique. They're all human, they all carry the same weapon, and most of them don't have any skills or abilities that would be exclusive to them and only them. Marth has the most vanilla swordfighter moveset imaginable, as we can see by Sakurai being able to give it to three other characters. Ike and Robin are better (more the latter than the former), but there are still quite a few characters from the franchise who could work as a clone of either. Corrin and Byleth are the only characters so far that have a moveset so specific to them that Sakurai probably wouldn't be able to create a clone character (unless any of the 3H leaders get in, in which case Corrin would be the only one).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's just hard to think of a niche that would be covered by Dante that isn't already done by Joker. He's already got both melee weapons and guns, he's already got a very active, acrobatic style of fighting and I can't help but think Devil Trigger would just be Arsene. I don't see how they'd play or feel different.
Have you played a Devil May Cry game at all?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
On the topic of the Junko/Monokuma fake render, hypothetically if it's real, wouldn't Junko be a Pokemon Trainer figure of sorts just lounging in the background while Monokuma does the dirty work?

It'd probably be a way to justify having both. At the very least, that's what I think. Monokuma does the fighting and Junko being Junko in the background and reacting to the match.
I could see that happening, although at that point wouldn't the character just be Monokuma by itself?

My idea is that if Junko is gonna be shoehorned then you might as well let her play a role in the match. You could make her a duo character with Monokuma kinda like Rosalina and Luma. Of course you can also make her sit in the background where she reacts to the match, she can do stuff where if you press a special you can see Junko pressing something on her controller in the background to make Monokuma do that special.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is like the equivalent of saying Banjo would be a Duck Hunt echo due to the bird mammal combo, or Terry would be too similar to Ken due to both being blonde haired fg characters of American nationality

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Have you played a Devil May Cry game at all?
I'd be more hyped for Dante if I had, but if you can tell me how Dante and Joker would be different, by all means do pitch.

This is like the equivalent of saying Banjo would be a Duck Hunt echo due to the bird mammal combo, or Terry would be too similar to Ken due to both being blonde haired fg characters of American nationality
No, that's appearance-based. I don't see how they'd PLAY and FEEL different.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Look at literally half of this **** and if you tell me it's similar to Joker I will go to your house and steal the contents of your fridge

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd be more hyped for Dante if I had, but if you can tell me how Dante and Joker would be different, by all means do pitch.
I couldn't tell you **** about Joker, I haven't played Persona 5 at all, but I know a JRPG to an action hack n' slash.

You're saying Joker is the issue and not Hideki Kamiya's other hack n' slash character :4bayonetta:, because her and Dante are made by the same dude. I can expect people to draw similarities to Bayonetta, but never have I heard someone say Joker

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I couldn't tell you **** about Joker, I haven't played Persona 5 at all, but I know a JRPG to an action hack n' slash.

You're saying Joker is the issue and not Hideki Kamiya's other hack n' slash character :4bayonetta:, because her and Dante are made by the same dude. I can expect people to draw similarities to Bayonetta, but never have I heard someone say Joker
Maybe I should rephrase. They obviously play different in their home games, they're different genres, but how would they be different in a Smash environment specifically?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know guys, I want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash and all, but he's just a little too much like Joker cause of his N-Air.

but how would they be different in a Smash environment specifically?
I don't think Dante has a Persona, his wacky voodoo magic spells, and a grappling hook.

All they have in common is that they have at least one pistol.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's similar to Joker. Now can you come empty my fridge? It's overflowing with stuff I don't need.
IMG_20200228_183831.jpg

Aa a bonus I'll raid the pantry
Maybe I should rephrase. They obviously play different in their home games, they're different genres, but how would they be different in a Smash environment specifically?
Dante's moves are made to be flashy as **** and Dante has tools for whatever situation he needs, in MvC his gimmick was having the most moves out of any character, there's also style or weapon switching to make him a stance character. Judging by DMC, Dante would be a more oppressive character though I'd make him on the lighter side to reflect how badly Dante gets ****ed up in 3 if you don't master the game in 4 seconds

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 264200
Aa a bonus I'll raid the pantry

Dante's moves are made to be flashy as **** and Dante has tools for whatever situation he needs, in MvC his gimmick was having the most moves out of any character, there's also style or weapon switching to make him a stance character. Judging by DMC, Dante would be a more oppressive character though I'd make him on the lighter side to reflect how badly Dante gets ****ed up in 3 if you don't master the game in 4 seconds
Thanks. Although I should probably clarify that the "similar to Joker" bit was a joke, before someone gets the wrong idea.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As Will said, I would expect people to make comparisons with Bayonetta if Dante gets in, not because they would be similar but because they're from the same genre. But Joker... I didn't expect that. Besides Rain Storm, which is an original Dante move, they don't share anything else if we speak about moves.

Joker has a dagger, Dante has 20, 25? melee weapons and ranged weapons in his arsenal. Not counting the anime and the manga, which I didn't saw/read, where maybe he has even more weapons.
Then he has multiple style combats: Trickster, Gunslinger, Royalguard and Swordmaster. While I doubt Sakurai would incorporate a style switching mechanic for him like in the DMC games, he for sure would have some exclusive moves from these styles.
Devil Trigger could be a meter, but it could work differently. Like in the DMC games, the meter increases when Dante hits enemies, and he can transform whenever he wants. Arsene always appears when the meter is full, here, Dante could transform when he wants.

I mean, I'm not the best explaining potential movesets for characters, so you could check videos like this one

or this one

Honestly, Dante fits Smash very well and he could give like 4 or 5 movesets with all the **** he has in his arsenal. Not saying that if he happens, Sakurai would give him ALL his weapons or something like that. It depends in how Sakurai decides to approach Dante. One thing is for sure, I think he would be a bit more complex than the regular Smash character, I imagine him being a technic character.
But he has nothing to do with Joker. They're not similar at all, the only similarities they have is that both have guns and that maaaaybe, both characters appeal to a similar audience?? But nothing more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thanks. Although I should probably clarify that the "similar to Joker" bit was a joke, before someone gets the wrong idea.
Considering you only popped in this conversation to demand an empty fridge I think it was.

Also Devil Trigger usually gives Dante new moves and increased speed, so Arsene beefing up Joker's specials and adding an extra hit to all his attacks will look like weak **** when Dante's scaly ass drags your ass from one side of the stage to the other before killing you with Totally Not Psycho Crusher

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
As Will said, I would expect people to make comparisons with Bayonetta if Dante gets in, not because they would be similar but because they're from the same genre. But Joker... I didn't expect that. Besides Rain Storm, which is an original Dante move, they don't share anything else if we speak about moves.

Joker has a dagger, Dante has 20, 25? melee weapons and ranged weapons in his arsenal. Not counting the anime and the manga, which I didn't saw/read, where maybe he has even more weapons.
Then he has multiple style combats: Trickster, Gunslinger, Royalguard and Swordmaster. While I doubt Sakurai would incorporate a style switching mechanic for him like in the DMC games, he for sure would have some exclusive moves from these styles.
Devil Trigger could be a meter, but it could work differently. Like in the DMC games, the meter increases when Dante hits enemies, and he can transform whenever he wants. Arsene always appears when the meter is full, here, Dante could transform when he wants.

I mean, I'm not the best explaining potential movesets for characters, so you could check videos like this one

or this one

Honestly, Dante fits Smash very well and he could give like 4 or 5 movesets with all the **** he has in his arsenal. Not saying that if he happens, Sakurai would give him ALL his weapons or something like that. It depends in how Sakurai decides to approach Dante. One thing is for sure, I think he would be a bit more complex than the regular Smash character, I imagine him being a technic character.
But he has nothing to do with Joker. They're not similar at all, the only similarities they have is that both have guns and that maaaaybe, both characters appeal to a similar audience?? But nothing more.
Mmkay, the style bit would switch him up if they put that in, sure.
Not that I'm any more hyped about him, he still feels a bit.. what's the word? Overdone? Stale? Standard? One of those.

D

Deleted member

MFW someone looks at Dante from Devil May Cry or Marvel vs Capcom and tells me he wouldn't be unique.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not that I'm any more hyped about him, he still feels a bit.. what's the word? Overdone? Stale? Standard? One of those.
Screenshot_20200227-195649.png

No other character in the game has even a fraction of the level of bull**** Dante's fighting style would bring solely in terms of crazy animations, not many franchises have the same musical style as Dante meaning if you meant aesthetics, you're wrong there too. The only sword styles Smash acknowledges are basic slashes or refined swordsmanship with a smidge of brutish swings, Dante the Clown would spit on all of those and show that there's still so much left to be done with swords

D

Deleted member

People said the same thing about Hero or Terry and they ended up being some of the most unique characters in Ultimate. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Don't want to sound rude but have you actually saw the videos?

Maybe it seems I'm being dramatic or something but honestly, Dante being called standard was one thing I never thought I would read in my life.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Funny that the thread is talking about company passes, I actually had a dream after banjos announcement that he actually wasn’t part of the main fighters pass but was part of a Microsoft pass along with master chief and Steve and the fourth one was still not revealed yet, I wonder what it would been?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Funny that the thread is talking about company passes, I actually had a dream after banjos announcement that he actually wasn’t part of the main fighters pass but was part of a Microsoft pass along with master chief and Steve and the fourth one was still not revealed yet, I wonder what it would been?
Clippy's being saved for E3

just you wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom