• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dante's the literal face of an entire genre and just had a major game release along with his original trilogy ported to a Nintendo console. I would think that'd be enough to draw some fans, but evidently only 90's/20's company mascots are the only "true" fans out there.
That, and I think many companies getting more than 1 character helped to warm people up to idea of characters like Dante and Heihachi. Had neither Bayo or especially Ryu been in Smash 4 and Simon/Hero in Ultimate, we might not even humor the idea much. But they are, so now fans of Dante and the rest are more open to voice their opinions and desires.

New information or new content with a series can also expand a fanbase, which isn't inherently a negative. Crash has had Smash fans since the Brawl days, but he only really took off when his games got remakes and put him back into the general forefront of the video game community.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Good choices, but in what universe does Meowstic switch anything? It literally doesn't.
I originally was just gonna answer your question (Ally Switch btw) , but after thinking about Meowstic being a fighter for a bit, I'm gonna do that and more...
294-2940554_meowstic-male-and-female-meowstic-both.jpg
Meowstic would switch between it's male and female counterpart with no lag by using Shield+B. The female being the main attacker, while the male would create barriers that counter physical and projectile attacks, buff both of them and debuff the other fighters.

Using the Hidden Ability: Prankster , Male Meowstic can activate moves so fast that he can use two or more moves at the same time in one special. Like in the game, Meowstic like other Pokemon can raise their stats six times with a counter below their icon showing the number of stat boost (M)Meowstic has 'stored'.

Male Meowstic:
B - Calm Mind/Helping Hand/Fake Tears: Increases (Standard/Special) Attack, and (Special) Defense of both Meowstics until they respawn can be used more than once but using one after the other too quickly will increase your start/endlag.
Helping Hand has a 50% chance to greatly boost the attack of the next move. Fighters too close to them will suffer Fake Tears effects, and have their Shield weakened, and knockback and damage increased temporarily, but number of stat boost determines how long it lasts for.

Up B - Ally Switch/Safeguard/Zen Headbutt: Similar to Fire Fox but quicker, Startup has invincibility frames (Safeguard), deals additional stun damage. Holding B will switch male Meowstic with female Meowstic.

Side B - Psyshock/Thunder Wave: Range attack has a 10% chance to bypass Shields, and reflectors, does extra damage and knockback if it passes through Shield/reflectors. Hold B to also stun fighters to setup a follow-up attack.

Down B - Reflect/Light Screen/Rest: Counter physical attacks, and reflect projectiles, successful counters, and reflects will results in a quick resting animation recovering 10% health.

Female Meowstic:

(F)Meowstic has the ability infiltrator giving Meowstic a 15% chance to bypass Shields, and reflectors with her standard and Special Attacks.

B - Stored Power: You can use (M)Meowstic's buff to increase your attack or defense, and wreck fighters with powered standard/special moves, or unleash it as a devastating ball of energy, the greater your stats are raise the faster, and more damage/knockout Stored Power does, but your stat boost drops to zero. Did I forget to mention that Infiltrator also affects this move too? Oops.

Edit: Stored Power has a 100% chance of bypassing fighter's shield when when at Max stat boost.

Side B - Future Sight: acts like Zelda's Din's Fire, at six stat boost, Future Sight homes in on the fighters position and smites them with a pillar of light (takes as much time as Pikachu Thunder).

Down B - Dark Pulse: Create an orb of dark energy that knocks fighters away the higher the counter, the wider the radius, and the higher the chance to flinch fighters.

Up B - Helping Hand (M)Meowstic launches (F)Meowstic with telekinesis into fighters, the higher the counter, the longer the recovery, has a 10% chance of increasing their stats, and 5% chance of increasing the damage of the next move. Hold B to switch to (M)Meowstic.

Final Smash - Psychic: Their Psychic powers has enough force to grind a 10-ton truck to dust. Both Meowstics appear on the stage and reveal their eye-like patterns covered by their ears. A large radius of blue Psychic energy damages the fighters, any fighters at 100+ damage will fade away in a trail of ethereal dust and be instakilled.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lest we forget that Dante's rise is in no small part also due to the fact that Street Fighter and Mega Man are in, Resident Evil is out, and people, for whatever reason, seem to have gravitated away from expecting Monster Hunter stuff (I think they're right in doing so, but still).

He's not organically at the top of Capcom's list, he's just what seems likeliest now. And even then it could go to Phoenix. Or Amaterasu.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
An entire Capcom pass would be really sick. It wouldn't happen but I'd want it to happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is why we need an entire Capcom pass, Capcom has too much cool **** meaning no matter which Capcom character we see next there's like 20 other great ones around the corner
Capcom's cool. But even with a Capcom pass we wouldn't get Jin Saotome, their best character, so what's even the point. :p:p

What I'd really love, is an (equally unlikely) Square pass thooo

- 2B
- Sephiroth
- Crono
- Lara Croft
- Sora (hush)
- Geno (for the sake of peace)

Think about it... twelve whole new pieces of music! :teeth:

I'm just a Square fangirl more than a Capcom fangirl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
THEN WE ADD MORE CAPCOM PASSES UNTIL THE ROSTER BECOMES TWICE AS BIG AS MVC2
I wonder how many passes it would actually take to get to Jin, lol.

Stupid Capcom and their large reserve of memorable and beloved characters. CATER TO ME! MEEEEE

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well if we're going the company passes again. Here's one for Namco.

Lloyd Irving/Velvet Crowe
Heihachi
Solaire
Nightmare
Agumon
Don-Chan

recordagger

Smash Cadet
Modern Indie Fighter Pass

-Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)
-Untitled Goose (Untitled Goose Game)
-Mae (Night in the Woods)
-Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
-Madeline (CELESTE)
-The Knight (Hollow Knight)

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Everyone wants a Capcom pass, but I kind of unironically want a Konami pass.

1. Bomberman
2. Frogger
3. Goemon
4. Any Suikoden character (accompanied by ports to the Switch, because omg yes please)

Okay that's actually all I really want lol. But there's still Contra, Gradius, TwinBee, Silent Hill, and of course the Grinch. I'm sure there are other notable series, but really I just want those 4 I listed, and that last one is mostly because I want Suikoden on my freakin Switch please and thank you.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Great, now I have an excuse to post my SEGA Fighter Pass:

1. Kazuma Kiryu
  2. Tails
  3. Sakura Shinguji
  4. Ulala
  5. Any Megami Tensei protag
  6. Hatsune Miku, why the hell not

And that's without going into Axel Stone, NİGHTS, AiAi, Ryo Hazuki, Akira Yuki, Gilius Thunderhead, Beat, Vyse, Dr. Eggman or clones like Jeanne, Goro Majima and Shadow. Even Segata Sanshiro would be cool in my book.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Great, now I have an excuse to post my SEGA Fighter Pass:

1. Kazuma Kiryu
  2. Tails
  3. Sakura Shinguji
  4. Ulala
  5. Any Megami Tensei protag
  6. Hatsune Miku, why the hell not

And that's without going into Axel Stone, NİGHTS, AiAi, Ryo Hazuki, Akira Yuki, Gilius Thunderhead, Beat, Vyse, Dr. Eggman or clones like Jeanne, Goro Majima and Shadow. Even Segata Sanshiro would be cool in my book.
Gobsmacked by the taste on display here.

gloomgoblin1313

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2982-0116-0892
Switch FC
7419 3872 4009
Before the Resident Evil spirit event became a thing, I was wanting a character from the franchise to be DLC. Leon would've probably been the most likely, but I personally wanted Wesker. Since that ship has sailed though, I've been wanting Arthur to get in. I would actually work on getting some Ghosts n' Goblins spirits. It wouldn't be too hard to use CAPCOM characters when you consider MVC. I'm pretty sure Dante is a given though, but who knows. Before even Hero was announced, there have been predictions for some other characters whose games have, at the time, been recently released on the Switch. Hero was the only one that I know of who actually made it, and I'm pretty sure it was to help promote the new Dragon Quest. The other characters probably would've been used to help promote too. Maybe for the next pass at least one of the old predictions can make it into Smash. I just hope they continue bringing third-party characters to add variety. However, a new pokemon fighter seems likely, thanks to SWSH. I've heard talk about Toxtricity being a likely addition, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Was going to comment on the people who were criticizing Gen I oversaturation being the same people who staunchly defend FE when it gets criticized for oversaturation, but then N3ON beat me to it.

Dammit N3ON, those likes belong to me!

Dear Strongbad GoodGrief, how do you type shoot guns with boxing gloves on swords for hands?
Easy I just pull the trigger

Legends claim that if you say "Mewtwo was meant to be in Brawl but got cut" three times in a row free pizza will come to your house.

Regarding cuts: It is a topic I dislike since It always ends bad in any place It gets debated and in reality we can't be sure about who would get the cut at all since the Smash team isn't easy to predict.

And honestly, I don't know who I would cut because I just like the whole roster.
Can verify, currently eating said pizza.

Literally just give them the Alph treatment. It's that simple.
As an Alph fan I would literally pay money just to get Alph to be labeled as an Echo. Being voiced, Rock Pikmin, that's all a bonus. I want the little ****** to be his own man.

Palutena's trailer casually mentioning the Chaos Kin controlled her
Dracula's spirit evolving into Soma Cruz
etc...

OH AND LUCAS'S BRAWL TROPHY SPOILING THAT YOU FIGHT CLAUS. CAN'T FORGET THAT.
Holy **** I didn't know Dracula's Spirit did that. That's insane, I wouldn't have expected to see that even if it weren't a huge spoiler.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'd say Dante right now has more than just the bandwagon with him. I'd never call him a lock or anything like that, but when you consider:

1) Devil May Cry on Nintendo was something has potentially transpired because of an interview that specifically asked the director of the series about Dante in Smash. This was, I think, 2-3 months prior to the announcement of DMC 1 on Switch. I could very well mean nothing, but I do think it's worth considering the context of the interview being "Dante should probably be in Smash only if there are DMC games on Nintendo consoles". Then you have DMC 3, which has Dante with his most iconic design, which extended content. This is similar to DQXIS, though not pushed nearly as much (though that may have to do with SE wanting to really push DQ in the west).

Circumstantial evidence? Perhaps. I still think it's worth keeping in mind.

2) Devil May Cry 5 has brought the series back into the mainstream and is considered one of the best action games in the at least the last few years, if not the generation. There's attention on the franchise again and with the franchise being on Switch, that bodes well for continued support.

3) Dante oozes personality and is widely recognizable throughout the industry. He's flashy, and brings plenty of potential for a stance changer, combo based moveset. He's a great fit for Smash. Granted, I realize this particular point just sounds like somebody trying to sell the character, but he'd be absolutely excellent for Smash at this point in time.

Granted, I don't even think Dante is likely because of any particular rumor. That's just the Smash fanbase for you. The character and series itself doesn't need a rumor, nor should it, to be considered in contention for 1 of the 6 DLC slots. Dante has a good shot here.
---
On 2B, I don't think the dress is even that bad. Take a look at this screenshot from Soul Calibur 6.

If we use our imagination and envision that open area to be closed, the dress itself is just above her knees. Despite this, Palutena also has an open space in her gown, and it works just fine if you ask me. I don't know that Mai Shiranui is really the same thing here anyway, because in regards to Smash she'd be only considered for a cameo which...it's a lot of work to edit her significantly for a cameo that only happens part of the time, whereas 2B would be basically playable or nothing. They're not on the same plane.
View attachment 264174
As N3ON N3ON mentioned, though, it's not really that deep. Censorship can easily be applied in this case, as it has in the past with Smash. I don't know that it would really hold Nintendo back from adding NieR Automata to Smash. Make the gap in the dress 2B has a bit smaller, and keep doing whatever they did with Palutena to make it difficult for folks to go looking under there, and you're basically set for success.
Huh, I guess the skirt is a bit longer than I remember, I'll give you that, but it's genuinely hard to see Dante as anything other than Joker 2.0.

I wonder how many passes it would actually take to get to Jin, lol.

Stupid Capcom and their large reserve of memorable and beloved characters. CATER TO ME! MEEEEE
Uhh, Jin's Namco.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Was going to comment on the people who were criticizing Gen I oversaturation being the same people who staunchly defend FE when it gets criticized for oversaturation, but then N3ON beat me to it.

Dammit N3ON, those likes belong to me!
You'll get em next time. I'm sure there will be one. ;)

Uhh, Jin's Namco.
I'd recommend reading the post I made before that one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Trenchcoat + One gun attack being similar (because Joker's attack is referencing Dante) = same character I guess.
"Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" is an SMT meme. Persona is an SMT spinoff. Therefore Dante is Boomer Joker :4pacman:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Huh, I guess the skirt is a bit longer than I remember, I'll give you that, but it's genuinely hard to see Dante as anything other than Joker 2.0.

Uhh, Jin's Namco.
Mvc2-jin.jpg

This Jin my Friend not Tekken Jin Cyberbots Jin

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Was going to comment on the people who were criticizing Gen I oversaturation being the same people who staunchly defend FE when it gets criticized for oversaturation,
Like, every Fire Emblem character who isn't an echo at least brings a new game to the table. With Gen I, you're just adding content from the same game.

I don't have a problem with the amount of Gen I Pokemon we have but your comparison doesn't feel fair.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'd recommend reading the post I made before that one.
Oh, that Jin. I literally didn't have a clue who that was.

Anyway, Random picks for passes concerning the big three in the event themed passes become a thing.

SEGA:
1. Nights - NiGHTS
2. Magician - House of the Dead
3. Max - Shining Force
4. Beat - Jet Set Radio
5. Gilius Thunderhead - Golden Axe

Capcom:
1. Morrigan Aensland - Darkstalkers
2. Amaterasu - Okami
3. Arthur - Ghosts'n Goblins
4. Ryu - Breath of Fire
5. Viewtiful Joe -Viewtiful Joe

Namco:
1. Jin Kazama - Tekken
2. Alisa Ilinichina Amiella - God Eater
3. Valkyrie - The Legend of Valkyrie
4. Nightmare - SoulCalibur
5. Kite - .hack

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Ya know, if I'm being real, I don't think Waluigi will ever be playable in Smash. EVER. We've all seen how Nintendo describes Waluigi as "lurking in the shadows, waiting for his chance in the spotlight" but NOT getting his time to shine is the whole point of the character. If Waluigi got a major role, I'm not sure it would be true to who Waluigi is. He's an underdog, a punchline. People might be mad he's not playable, but like... that's the point.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Like, every Fire Emblem character who isn't an echo at least brings a new game to the table. With Gen I, you're just adding content from the same game.

I don't have a problem with the amount of Gen I Pokemon we have but your comparison doesn't feel fair.
Pokemon brings a new playstyle with every character they release while Fire Emblem has two echoes from the same game. It absolutely is a fair comparison.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I will say that if we actually get Geno for this game, then I'll consider Waluigi a lock for the next Smash.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I will say that if we actually get Geno for this game, then I'll consider Waluigi a lock for the next Smash.
As much as I'd love to see the most enduring Smash support group after Banjo, Ridley, and K Rool get their character in, Geno's a long shot for paid DLC. I thought he was a damn-near lock for base game, but now it seems his window has passed for Ultimate. As a side character in a 24 year old mario spinoff, he doesn't have the marketing presence that all of the other fighter pass characters had. Even Banjo, who was also long passed peak relevancy, was a former mascot of the N64 and was basically the face of N64 nostalgia.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
D

Deleted member

Fake.

Remember Rayman in Sm4sh? Also Cacomallow which I'm leaning towards fake at this point?
People honestly just abuse the technology in front of them just to make idiots out of naive people...

I never lived through the Rayman in Smash 4 leak but judging from the period it was made, it really, really must've thrown people off haha

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Everyone wants a Capcom pass, but I kind of unironically want a Konami pass.

1. Bomberman
2. Frogger
3. Goemon
4. Any Suikoden character (accompanied by ports to the Switch, because omg yes please)

Okay that's actually all I really want lol. But there's still Contra, Gradius, TwinBee, Silent Hill, and of course the Grinch. I'm sure there are other notable series, but really I just want those 4 I listed, and that last one is mostly because I want Suikoden on my freakin Switch please and thank you.
Also Konami owns hudson (you have bomberman) so... Bonk and Bloody Roar stuff.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

It's got more to do with a series overall, than individual games within a series.

We can at least agree that dipping in the same pot continuously is tiresome, and we would rather things get branched out, ergo Gen 1 oversaturation and FE over saturation are the same thing in this regard.

If there's a total of 15 FE characters (I'm exaggerating but just bear with me), and they're all from different games, that doesn't negate the idea of there still being too many FE characters in comparison to other series representation in the game.

Is it ok for them to just keep adding FE characters for every new FE game that comes out?

Is over saturation not a thing just because they're from new games?

Being from a new game doesn't mean they should get added in.

This isn't just for FE btw, but Mario and Pokemon too.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that the newest image leak is absolutely fake. Also, who is the girl in the image leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom