• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp/jp/result/

Today was Pokémon day so we got to see the results of the most popular Pokémon. In the top 30, there's Dragapult, Toxtricity, Corviknight and Snom. I don't think it means a lot but it's interesting to see Toxtricity that high, because he was already discussed here sometimes.
>Lycanroc at 24th
I will definitely take that.

Between this and Bandana Dee getting 7th in the Japanese Smash Poll, Japan has some good taste.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
>Lycanroc at 24th
I will definitely take that.

Between this and Bandana Dee getting 7th in the Japanese Smash Poll, Japan has some good taste.
These results are worldwide, it's only in Japanese because they actually provided top 30s all around there whilst in English we only got the top 10 and then the top 5 per region

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Today was Pokémon day so we got to see the results of the most popular Pokémon. In the top 30, there's Dragapult, Toxtricity, Corviknight and Snom. I don't think it means a lot but it's interesting to see Toxtricity that high, because he was already discussed here sometimes.
Just when I said polls won't get a character in. I already said in the support thread that it'll be interesting to see how Toxtricity ranks against the other Galar Pokemon (seeing it beat out Cinderace and memes like Snom and Dracovish feels good) but ultimately won't affect its chances.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Greninja and Lucario being 1 and 2 for most popular Pokemon respectively? Greninja and Lucario confirmed for Smash!:yeahboi:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
These results are worldwide, it's only in Japanese because they actually provided top 30s all around there whilst in English we only got the top 10 and then the top 5 per region
Oh wow, that's actually even better!

The world has good tastes.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Blaziken being in the top 30 (even if barely) gives me life.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I know part of their popular is probably Smash related, but Sakurai had insane foresight picking Greninja and Lucario to be in Smash. Who knew they would be the two most popular Pokemon this long after their debuts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know part of their popular is probably Smash related, but Sakurai had insane foresight picking Greninja and Lucario to be in Smash. Who knew they be the two most popular Pokemon this long their debuts?
They were pretty popular with the animes too. That might have helped alongside Smash.

D

Deleted member

Imagine getting a huge buff, mastering it and then still losing to not very effective BURASTO BURN
This is concrete proof for why Incineroar is better than Greninja. Did Ash win Gen 6? No. Case in point:

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the Lucario in Smash is in fact supposed to be the one from the movie, since Lucario can't normally talk to humans yet the one in Smash is speaking perfect english.
Same with Mewtwo, even in Melee his Japanese voice actors is the same as the first Pokémon movie Mewtwo's actor. He doesn't speak in english for some reason, but in japanese he do speak a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqfC8KDKEs

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
our first non gaming reps
I personally never understood why some call Lucario a "Non Gaming Rep" sometimes, Even though he debuted in a movie, Pokemon is still a video game franchise at it's core under the Nintendo/Pokemon Company brand regardless if it's an absolute powerhouse of a media franchise too.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally never understood why some call Lucario a "Non Gaming Rep" sometimes, Even though he debuted in a movie, Pokemon is still a video game franchise at it's core under the Nintendo/Pokemon Company brand regardless if it's an absolute powerhouse of a media franchise too.
Lmao look at this fool taking Faygo seriously

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Lmao look at this fool taking Faygo seriously
I'm being serious.

It's been brought up before regarding Lucario, Some people have given the same arguement to R.O.B saying he's not a video game character, He's an accessory to the NES game "Gyromite" and I'm like "He's video game accessory created by a video game company for a video game... Close enough, It's still Nintendo".

Last edited:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice

This is a pretty cool poll, at first thought maybe Pikachu was excluded from the poll because he is the most recognizeable Pokemon. While I don’t think we should get a Pokémon in the fighter pass 2 if we did I would choose chandlure or gengar because I think a ghost type could have a really cool moveset.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
We don't really do that sort of things. Smash is a big deal of course but still just a game mainly targeted for young kids you know. How West being so passionate and escalative for Smash DLC talks seen as a pretty peculiar culture if I'll be blunt.
This was a breath of fresh air to read. I'm weirdly relieved knowing that the only ones taking this thing way too seriously are people over here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm being serious.

It's been brought up before regarding Lucario, Some people have given the same arguement to R.O.B saying he's not a video game character, He's an accessory to the NES game "Gyromite" and I'm like "He's video game accessory created by Nintendo for a video game, That's still pretty damn close, It's still Nintendo".
That reminds me how some people don't count Sora as a video game character because "Disney isn't a video game company."

It's the most stupid argument against him along with "Disney will buy Nintendo if Sora gets into Smash."

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?
I'd be pretty happy with it, one of those characters are among my most wanted and the others are choices that I think would be great to see. I also would be happy for Sora since my cousin adores him and having him playable would make his year.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?
4/6 of those characters are among my most wanted so I'd be an extremely happy camper.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Don't care for 2B, Rex, or Sora; but I like Monster Hunter and Dante is my most wanted so I guess I'd be happy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Too many swordfighters.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I see Dante and 2B on there. I like that.

Polls don't really mean too much (only character who was was high in the fan polls was Banjo iirc) since they're mostly composed of a smaller sample size, but it gives us an idea on people want to see in Smash. I'm thinking the second pass will have a few characters who are under the radar, like last time.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Too many swordfighters.
It's almost like swords are the most common weapon in video games.

Marth hmmm.png

Furthermore, characters use swords in a lot of different ways given the wide variety of styles practiced over the time alongside those made specifically for video games. Among those in Opo's pass you have:
  • Rex: Elemental Broadsword (Probably between Light and Fire)
  • Dante: Stance Change (6 different styles of fighting based on DMC3 Dante) + Guns
  • Monster Hunter: Different Swords (Charge Sword, Long Sword, Sword and Shield, Great Sword) + Other Weapons
  • Sora: Keyblade (not even that much of a sword, and Sora's style doesn't seem to be influenced by anything other than whacky anime swings), and
  • 2B: Swords (Light Sword, Heavy Sword) mixed with other weapons (Fists, Spear, and Pod–which has a variety of different physical and projectile attacks)
Speaking of Opo's pass, I'd be incredibly satisfied with it. None of the characters are bad picks in my opinion, and each character comes from a large and influential series that has made its mark on gaming history. And then you have Rex but it's about damn time Xenoblade gets another rep, and Rex got screwed out of a roster spot so it'd be nice to see him finally get his due recognition, even if I don't like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Honestly it would be great. Crash and Sora would be great picks and Dante deserves it as well. Even though I don’t care for them I wouldn’t mind 2b or MH either. Only big miss would be no Master Chief at that point imo.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I'd be pretty content with it. 2B and Dante are the only ones in that pass I have no personal attachment to yet (I own all the DMCs and Nier: Automata, but haven't gotten to playing them). Also, the amount of female representation (if you care about that kinda stuff) seems pretty decent. You have 2B, Pyra (w/possibly Mythra), Monster Hunter would most likely have a female alt., and Coco could potentially be an alt. for Crash.

D

Deleted member

It's almost like swords are the most common weapon in video games.

View attachment 263977
To be fair, we do have a lot of sword fighters now. Beyond this, I feel like it's going to get kinda hard to really distinguish them from one another. You've got Metaknight, Roy, Chrom, Marth, Ike, and Lucina who are all legitimate sword fighters (use sword primarily for everything), Robin and Hero who use a combo of Sword and Sorcery, Corrin & Cloud who use mostly sword with their special attacks and some tilts or jab using something other than a sword, Ganondorf who uses a Sword for his smash attacks, and then Byleth who got 4 weapons to use to differentiate them a bit.

Considering all that, you have to admit it's kinda hard to be unique and its reasonable for some people to be a little apprehensive at the prospect of new sword fighters. Sure, there are options, it can be done, (like giving a character a Rapier would be a totally different fighting style), but even Sakurai's team has to be getting tired of adding sword fighters and thinking up movesets for them at this point.

Hmm
That explains yesterday’s Smash 4 Battlefield pic
Now that he's saying that, I honestly think I remember an earlier direct (before the game was released) where we saw Battlefield from Smash4 and he said the same thing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Let nobody ever again say that Greninja was flavor of the month. :p For real, Greninja was like the perfect storm. Starter, heavily promoted in the anime, popular in the competitive Pokémon scene, popular among the casual Pokémon scene, got into Smash after the previously mentioned things, retained its popularity very well, outright became top tier in Ultimate, got a new form, had a major appearance in Pokémon's first Hollywood movie...Greninja has a very impressive résumé.

Also if I had to pick a Galar Pokémon for Smash that appeared in Galar's top thirty, I'd go with Falinks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
:ultkirby::ultjigglypuff::ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultbrawler::ultness::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultryu::ultken::ultsheik::ultsnake::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultzss:
Punchies and kickies: 36

:ultbyleth::ultcloud::ulthero::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobinf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultike::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultmetaknight:
Swordies: 16

Clearly the swordies are the issue
EDIT: Noticed I accidentally put Bowser Jr. in there, corrected to Bowser
EDIT 2: forgot the other Links, corrected
EDIT 3: Added the puffballs like Will mentioned, plus MK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom