• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hmm
That explains yesterday’s Smash 4 Battlefield pic
Well fooie kablooie. I was somewhat excited for Wii U Battlefield. Well, at least I was hoping it would lead to the aesthetic Melee Battlefield.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people are posting they want old stages back. I am not good at photoshop, but could someone edit the stage selection screen to have all stages back? I am curious to see how that would look.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And I love it

I'd bet money they tried for Sora during Sm4sh DLC era and failed. The question is whether they tried again, and if they did, when.

My crack theory is that Sora is Fighter 11, and it was either a Sonic in Brawl situation where Disney previously rejected it but opened the door again later on their own terms, and Sakurai and co. couldn't pass up the opportunity, or a Dragon Quest in Ultimate situation where Sakurai and Nintendo went for a Hail Mary and somehow pulled it off.

I acknowledge it's a crack theory so don't take it seriously before you shoot me for it.
You know I can actually kinda see the "Sonic in brawl" situation happening for someone like Sora.

If nothing else because I can imagine Disney would want to shoehorn themselves into the biggest crossover in media history

I can also see Sora being a scrapped Smash 4 DLC fighter. Think about it, Disney game licenses are presumably very expensive. Imagine that, but twice as much because they would have to license Kingdom Hearts not just for Smash 4 but for Ultimate as well.

I can see Sora showing up in one smash game but not 2. lol

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You know I can actually kinda see the "Sonic in brawl" situation happening for someone like Sora.

If nothing else because I can imagine Disney would want to shoehorn themselves into the biggest crossover in media history
I just don't see Disney throwing in a character into a game who's company is basically directly competing with them with Universal. Sora's rights are weird enough that they can't even keep him in actual Final Fantasy games as it is, so it just confounds an already challenging and questionable situation.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Come Smash 6, he will rise...
Definitely a Top 5 Newcomer in my list including 3rd Party as well, Seemed like such an obvious inclusion and would fit in very well

Everyone talks about Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow etc. But honestly Bomberman got the biggest screw over out of any Assist Trophy as he was one of the more Iconic/Significant character/franchises during the NES era, He was "Kind" of up there with Mario, Pac Man, Mega Man and Sonic. Hell Nintendo published "Bomberman 64 and Hero" on the N64 and Really seemed like shoe in with the recent launch of "Super Bomberman R" on Switch as a timed exclusive to reboot the franchise.

I wondered if Konami owning the property played a role into rather having Belmont join alongside Snake coming back as "Enough" for the roster to have Bomberman as a side character.

I honestly think Bomberman's chances would have been higher had "Hudson Soft" (Original Company Mascot) still had the rights and had not been absorbed into Konami for financial reasons, Probably would have stood out more as the "Hudson Soft" mascot than be overshadowed as a smaller franchise in comparison to Konami's Metal Gear Solid (Snake) and Castlevania's (Belmonts).

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2020/02/26/127623.html

Over 3000 votes.
85.7% male, 8.3% female, 5% no answer.
10's 54.7%, 20's 32%, 30's 6%, 40's 1%, 50's 0.5%, no answer 4.7%.

15. Geno 26 votes
14. Goku 32 votes
13. Reimu 42 votes
12. Kirito 50 votes
11. Saber 52 votes
10. Steve 55 votes
9. Arle 56 votes
8. Sephiroth 59 votes
7. Bandana Dee 64 votes
6. Crash 65 votes
5. 2B 70 votes
4. Rex 74 votes
3. Hunter 80 votes
2. Dante 92 votes
1. Sora 290 votes
The poll is nice to get a decent idea about what's popular in the JP side; even though I wouldn't put huge stock into it. I expected Sora to be 1st, but even I'm surprised by how much of a gap there is between Sora and Dante.

Rex and Hunter being high on the list was expected, but I wouldn't have expected them to do so well. MH makes sense due to it being MASSIVE in JP; and I've heard XC 2 was more positively received in JP comparatively to the West.

People keep on forgetting that Saber and Kirito are HUGE in JP (even if one of them shouldn't ever be in Smash). Pretty much everyone knows about them, and they are still from highly active franchises.

I would think that Reimu would have done a little better. But everyone else is from much more massive series/series that are easier to work with getting into Smash.

Feels bad about Geno placing 15th. But he's a pretty divisive character in the West, and I expect that to be even more true in JP. But still sucks seeing "illegible" characters like Goku and Kirito being in front of him.

Surprised at the lack of a Tales character showing up, but I suppose that's the case when you have no obvious frontrunner in the east. West is more Lloyd favored; but I'm unsure about the east (willing to bet Lloyd/Yuri/Velvet are all requested).

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Over 3000 votes.

15. Geno 26 votes
14. Goku 32 votes
13. Reimu 42 votes
12. Kirito 50 votes
11. Saber 52 votes
10. Steve 55 votes
9. Arle 56 votes
8. Sephiroth 59 votes
7. Bandana Dee 64 votes
6. Crash 65 votes
5. 2B 70 votes
4. Rex 74 votes
3. Hunter 80 votes
2. Dante 92 votes
1. Sora 290 votes
Kirito from Sword Art Online? On a Smash poll? Yes, it's nothing official but as someone who likes SAO...i think this is hilarious. ^^

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The number of votes received by the winners seems low. Aren't there character support groups in Japan who would advertise any serious poll to each other?

Last edited:

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet

Over 3000 votes.

15. Geno 26 votes
14. Goku 32 votes
13. Reimu 42 votes
12. Kirito 50 votes
11. Saber 52 votes
10. Steve 55 votes
9. Arle 56 votes
8. Sephiroth 59 votes
7. Bandana Dee 64 votes
6. Crash 65 votes
5. 2B 70 votes
4. Rex 74 votes
3. Hunter 80 votes
2. Dante 92 votes
1. Sora 290 votes
Can't hex the Rex baby

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The number of votes received by the winners seems low. Aren't there character support groups in Japan who would advertise any serious poll to each other?
We don't really do that sort of things. Smash is a big deal of course but still just a game mainly targeted for young kids you know. How West being so passionate and escalative for Smash DLC talks seen as a pretty peculiar culture if I'll be blunt.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It's almost like this is just a random poll on one Japanese website and maybe taking it to represent the tastes of the entire Japanese audience is really silly. And IMO, what even is there to take from this, that Sora is a popular character? Who could have guessed that?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
It's a very small sample size and is in no way representative of the larger audience... but I am glad to see Dante and 2B in the top 5 at least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
It's almost like this is just a random poll on one Japanese website and maybe taking it to represent the tastes of the entire Japanese audience is really silly. And IMO, what even is there to take from this, that Sora is a popular character? Who could have guessed that?
That poll had over 50% teens votes so I wouldn't be surprised for the silliness. I see young audience voicing out for anime characters quite often on Twitter. IIRC Japan once had Rimuru as an honorable mention in a poll like that held by another known gaming media.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That brings up a good point. If, hypothetically, the last six characters were the top six from that poll (Crash, 2B, Rex, Monster Hunter, Dante, Sora), what would you think?
I'd be satisfied. Sora's easily my most wanted, Crash has been a big part of my gaming life and I like Rex. Don't have any real connection to 2B, Hunter or Dante but they're all popular and would be hype for plenty of other people.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Its a poll with only 3000 votes and friggin Kirito in it. Whats there to discuss except for its ridiculousness? :nifty:

Not sure why small scale polls like this one are getting discussed over and over again when it is not really a represantative form of any fanbase. Not only does only a miniscule amount of smash players actually vote, the grand majority is influenced by the magazine/person who does the poll and/or the region the voter lives in.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I just don't see Disney throwing in a character into a game who's company is basically directly competing with them with Universal. Sora's rights are weird enough that they can't even keep him in actual Final Fantasy games as it is, so it just confounds an already challenging and questionable situation.
Lol we really gotta stop blowing that out of proportion. It’s just another segment of Universal.
Nintendo could never really compete with Disney in terms of amusement parks are concerned. I doubt Disney is too worried either.

The final fantasy thing is weird, and probably Sora’s biggest obstacle. May be a case by case issue though. Is Fortnite dlc handled this way?

It does seem like little big planet handled it’s frozen dlc content in the same manner.
However, I do believe that a lot of people overestimate how much Disney cares about the KH property.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'd be quite happy with that.

I'd be getting 2B and Dante after all.

Its a poll with only 3000 votes and friggin Kirito in it. Whats there to discuss except for its ridiculousness? :nifty:

Not sure why small scale polls like this one are getting discussed over and over again when it is not really a represantative form of any fanbase. Not only does only a miniscule amount of smash players actually vote, the grand majority is influenced by the magazine/person who does the poll and/or the region the voter lives in.
I'm sure most on here are aware that such a small sample size is no indication of what the audience at large actually think.

Not only that, but poll results have no indication of who is going to be getting in anyway.

There is little, to no information for us to talk about now, so we're just entertaining ourselves with this. I don't see the problem with that.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I'm not sure why people are getting worked up about this. It's interesting to see what other people want and why. It may be relatively small but it still tells us the opinions of 3000 people (assuming there were no bots or repeat votes).

It would be nice if we weren't trying to shut down topics of conversation when we don't have much else to talk about. We could talk about the characters coming up in these polls or the comments people gave for them but I guess we're more interested in arguing a lack of merit to these polls.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Then I wouldn't buy Ultimate unless some great mods come out.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The final fantasy thing is weird, and probably Sora’s biggest obstacle. May be a case by case issue though. Is Fortnite dlc handled this way?

It does seem like little big planet handled it’s frozen dlc content in the same manner.
However, I do believe that a lot of people overestimate how much Disney cares about the KH property.
If the way Sora was handled as World of Final Fantasy DLC is any indication, I think if Sora ends up being Smash Ultimate DLC, he's not gonna be one of the Fighters Pass 2 characters, or be a part of any Pass whatsoever... he'll instead be a completely standalone Fighter Pack, possibly only available for a limited time. Question is, would the developers think that that's worth it just to bring Kingdom Hearts into the crossover?

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Lol we really gotta stop blowing that out of proportion. It’s just another segment of Universal.
Nintendo could never really compete with Disney in terms of amusement parks are concerned. I doubt Disney is too worried either.

This is the same Disney that blocked Capcom from having Capcom characters beat up Marvel characters in MVC Infinite promotional material and pretty much prevented X-Men and Fantastic Four from appearing in the game despite the franchise literally starting with Children of the Atom and X-Men vs Street Fighter (along with doing a bunch of stupid stuff with the comics in general) solely because they were mad Fox still owned the film rights. They are indeed that petty about this stuff.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My biggest gripe would be a lack of variety with the studios involved, 2x SE and 2x Capcom is a bit much, even if they're the two developers with the most great characters on offer. It'd also be very predictable, and I think most of us appreciate the odd surprise here and there.

Still, it's got Crash, so whatever, I'll take it.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This is the same Disney that blocked Capcom from having Capcom characters beat up Marvel characters in Infinite promotional material and pretty much prevented X-Men and Fantastic Four from appearing in the game despite the franchise literally starting with Children of the Atom and X-Men vs Street Fighter (along with doing a bunch of stupid stuff with the comics in general) solely because they were mad Fox still owned the film rights. They are indeed that petty about this stuff.
From what I understand, it was someone from Marvel that was responsible for the roster crap.

They're gone now and we'd be dealing with the same Marvel owned Disney that is allowing X-Men and Fantastic Four in games such as Ultimate Alliance 3

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
From what I understand, it was someone from Marvel that was responsible for the roster crap.

They're gone now and we'd be dealing with the same Marvel owned Disney that is allowing X-Men and Fantastic Four in games such as Ultimate Alliance 3
Source?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Meh...s'okay. I only really care about 1 of those characters.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I mean Isaac didn't start really pushing against X-Men/Fantastic 4 until 2015, its not like he was stopping them from showing up in MVC3 when he was also CEO, I get that the whole Inhumans push was probably 90% his idea but I still think Disney had a lot of legitimate influence on the decision making at Marvel.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well...Crash is neat, and I can dig 2B's inclusion despite not playing her game.

Could be worse?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
THAT'S FOUR OF MY MOST WANTEDS.

DAMN, EITHER I'M A WEEB OR JAPAN'S GOT SOME GOOD TASTE.

It's probably the former.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>People not realizing that Japan is pulling the big I.Q galaxy brain game with Kirito, since Kirito Is the avatar IN-GAME of Kazuto who's the IRL persons
>And so, Kirito debuted in a video-game in a novel
>This is the loophole in Sakurai's argument

350.png

ps: I'm just ****posting

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Do you have a source for the claim that it was mostly Marvel's decision not to put X-Men in Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite?
I did some quick research but wasn't able to find anything that directly confirms Ike or any other Marvel execs were responsbile. Mostly just people speculating it was because of Ike Perlmutter because of other **** that had been happening.
My biggest gripe would be a lack of variety with the studios involved, 2x SE and 2x Capcom is a bit much, even if they're the two developers with the most great characters on offer. It'd also be very predictable, and I think most of us appreciate the odd surprise here and there.

Still, it's got Crash, so whatever, I'll take it.
I might be victim to common fan speculation but I feel getting those characters would be plenty surprising, given Nier Automata still isn't on Switch, Monster Hunter got base game content with no character and Rex got consolation Mii costumed.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Four of those characters are in my most wanted list, 2B I think would be cool to see, and Sora I'm meh about.
Not bad at all, I like it better than the previous pass.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't be very pleased. Only for the fact there's no first party newcomer amongst them. Monster Hunter is a good choice though. 2B seems cool but have no connection with her. Rex is, a weird one but I'd take it. The others I could do without.

D

Deleted member

I see 2B in there, so that's fair game and a win-win situation for everyone. They all got their most-wanted, while I got to invest myself into a new franchise that I clearly want to try out one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom