• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I thought we've long pass this already? Besides its off-topic and better to discuss in the social thread.
If people can't discuss Coronavirus because it's "off-topic," then maybe you should stop bringing up every movie you're excited for aand whatever movie list of the day you've come up with for the same reason.

You are being a hypocrite.

Edit: I'm going to be honest here, I thought I was in the Social thread. But still, there's no need to be this antagonistic just because someone is concerned about a virus the health organizations around the world are saying is going to get worse from here.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Aight

Monkey's paw time

You get your ideal fighter pass, but 3 of the characters are so god-awful stanky bad that they're totally unviable at all but the lowest levels of play, and the other 3 are so good that they break the competetive scene at Brawl MK levels.

take ya picks
Broken:
Reimu: Projectiles everywhere.

Amaterasu: Really combo heavy and fast

Agumon: Short maybe powerful that can change at will to Greymon which is just powerful and can kill early

Bad:
Laharl: Lightweight Ike i guess..

Sol Badguy: I'm not sure maybe just like regular Sol but weaker?

Neku: Most specials have a cool down and feather like

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
No mere virus will kill me. If this corona coward wants my life, then he can fight me like a man. To make this post on topic, I predict Dr. Luigi will be a DLC character.

Aight

Monkey's paw time

You get your ideal fighter pass, but 3 of the characters are so god-awful stanky bad that they're totally unviable at all but the lowest levels of play, and the other 3 are so good that they break the competetive scene at Brawl MK levels.

take ya picks
Epic characters- Thwomp, Barney Calhoun, Vergil (DmC)
Stinky characters- Doomguy, Dante, Rayman

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Seems fun, let's give this a try.

GODS AMONG GODS
Dante: The day right before Dante's balancing, Sakurai suffers a concussion that, while still letting him keep most of his memories intact, makes him completely forget about Bayonetta's existence. Without the lesson of Bayonetta, Sakurai turns Dante into a god of combos with more special moves than Hero that makes Bayonetta blush and the Hero Squad bow their heads in shame.

Juggernaut (Dota 2): Sakurai gives Juggernaut a gold and shop gimmick that allows him to farm for gold by attacking and KOing his opponents and use said gold to buy items to buff himself. The idea was that Juggernaut would start off mediocre to the rest of the roster but can itemize for every situation. Sadly, Sakurai went too far and not only made it too easy for him to farm gold, making it trivial for him to buy items, he also added the DIVINE RAPIER to the shop, an item that's supposed to be high-risk, high-reward item (it's meant to transfer to the other opponent if they KO him) that instead just becomes a "Get pwned, I win n00b" item because it overtunes Juggernaut's attack power and launch power to a ludicrous extreme, turning every attack in Juggernaut's moveset into a "get wrecked" button.

Agumon: On paper, Agumon himself don't seem so bad. Fast and light with the size to match. Then he digivolves into WarGreymon, a lightning fast powerhouse that will completely decimate the opponent the moment he lands a hit. It might be temporary, but it means little when WarGreymon can land two KOs in a single transformation.

Not Even Low Tier """"God"""" Would Pick This Total Loser

Gordon Freeman: Sakurai gives the Free Man the gimmick of ammo-based weapons. Which is cool and well, but Sakurai undertunes the rest of Gordon's moveset and stats, making him poor in melee. This, combined with almost everyone else being able to run to his face and beat him up, means that he don't even get to shine well in ranged combat, and when he runs out of ammo? He might as well just throw himself off the stage.

Travis Touchdown: The recharge gimmick is shoved awkwardly into his playstyle, meaning that he has to drop combos more of the time just to recharge. On top of that, even whiffs drains energy, so he's harshly punished for missing or hitting shields. The rest of Travis' moveset don't really make up for this bad design.

Kraid: He's a big guy, which means big guts to juggle for an eternity. And he's so big that almost any move can put him in hitstun state for the rest of his sad big life. Kraid might be heavier than even Bowser, but it don't really help him much when he's so big that he's an extreme glass cannon anyway. On the bright side, Kraid gets the dubious honor of being the subject of an official competitive tier of his own. Kraid tier. Congratulations Kraid!

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Travis Touchdown: The recharge gimmick is shoved awkwardly into his playstyle, meaning that he has to drop combos more of the time just to recharge. On top of that, even whiffs drains energy, so he's harshly punished for missing or hitting shields. The rest of Travis' moveset don't really make up for this bad design.
This is a joke post, but there's a Travis Touchdown mod for Rivals of Aether that literally plays exactly like what you just described.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Edit: I'm going to be honest here, I thought I was in the Social thread. But still, there's no need to be this antagonistic just because someone is concerned about a virus the health organizations around the world are saying is going to get worse from here.
I didn't mean to come across antagonistic. Even then I understand I have to respect people's worry over it. Regardless it still isn't the black plague or apocalypse.

Anyways I won't bring this up again anymore even whenever its brought up by someone else.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Any DLC picks you guys think are mutually exclusive (i.e. if one is added, it deconfirms the other characters)?

I personally don't think any 3rd party publishers are going to license more than 1 character for FPv2, but you never know capcom

Doom Slayer and Chief are both green-scifi-military-action-hero-man, so if one is in the other is probably out.

Dante, Travis, and Sol Badguy are red-leather-edge-sword gang.

I don't think we'll get more than one jrpg character we will get no less than 3

What do you guys think?
While I get your point, I don't think that's a serious problem. Chief and Doomslayer aren't fighting each other for a DLC spot for their looks, but maybe they will if Sakurai doesn't find good and unique movesets for both characters.

Same for Dante, Travis and Sol. If for some reason Sakurai wasn't able to give them unique and different movesets (which would be hilarious, I mean, these 3 fight very different), then he wouldn't put all of them. But their looks and their designs won't determine anything, in any case, that's a small factor he will keep in mind, but nothing more.
Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt he has even discarded a character because that fighter looked similar to another already in the roster.

D

Deleted member

Can we just dismiss Zippo already coz it's been like a couple of hours and still no Direct..

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I didn't mean to come across antagonistic. Even then I understand I have to respect people's worry over it. Regardless it still isn't the black plague or apocalypse.

Anyways I won't bring this up again anymore even whenever its brought up by someone else.
I mean, you labeled someone a "fearmonger" for voicing concerns about a global pandemic that seems to be getting worse by the day, I don't see how that could be taken as anything but antagonistic.

That's the last I'll say, just be more careful with the words that you use next time.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
That's fine; it's way easier to fix an existing character with mods than to mod in a new character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
We're only missing, like, 15 stages out of the entire series. I want "EVERYWHERE IS HERE!"
I personally would want to see a mix between returning stages and new stages.

Not every returning stage mind you, we can live without redundanr stages like sector Z.

D

Deleted member

Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Ideal Pass: Y'all know me with the women.

Stretches arms

:metaknight::

Asuka (SK) - New Queen of the combo game. Can immediately follow-up combos with no execution. Aerial Rave requires one button press. Easy to do ladder combos. Insane touch of deaths. Insane damage. Combos cannot be broken by SDI. By the time she's out, everyone uses her online due to lag. Same can be said in tourney setting. Most of the top 8 plays Asuka. Winning player says "Just use Asuka."

Rex/Pyra/Mythra - Invalidates Pokemon Trainer as the prime 3 in one character. Insane damage. More range than any other swordfighter combined. Can do everything from spacing to zoning out the opponent.

Heihachi - Insane damage. Insane pressure. Only character to have a viable wavedash that is faster than normal dash cancelling. EWGF extends combos to nigh unescapable levels. By the time hhe's out, his gameplay is SO faithful to his regular Tekken incarnation that most Tekken pros simply go to Smash and win with prior moveset knowledge.

:ganondorf:

Morrigan - Generic shotoclone. By the time she's out., Ryu and Ken have been buffed to tremendous top tier levels that she's insultingly weak.

honestly idk two other low tier picks sorry

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Not every returning stage mind you, we can live without redundanr stages like sector Z.
I can't live without Sector Z. I lie awake at night wondering why I'll never be able be to play on the Great Fox in space.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah, looks like it'll be like 2018 rather than 2019: a March direct rather than a February one.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Despite the fact that my existential dread has worsened from a CRAZY LARGE BACKLOG, playing the games within it have given me new favorites. Most of all, it has also taken a bit of my focus off of Smash.

Like, I’m here and check in everyday, but I don’t quite constantly comment or check all the time like I used to. It’s quite helpful to have other things to do in addition to commenting here.

Basically, if you’re bored of talking about nothing, then I recommend seeing if you can get your hands on one of the great games of the generation! In the last year I’ve played Persona 5 (great), NieR Automata (great), Dragon Quest XIS (great), the entire Resident Evil series (great), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (great), Rondo of Blood (great), Devil May Cry 1-5 (great)...among many others. Right now I’m playing The Witcher 3...Geralt for Smash!

Yeah, I said they’re all great. But I’ve learned quite a bit about series I hadn’t played before. I recommend some folks do that as they wait for additional characters in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Despite the fact that my existential dread has worsened from a CRAZY LARGE BACKLOG, playing the games within it have given me new favorites. Most of all, it has also taken a bit of my focus off of Smash.

Like, I’m here and check in everyday, but I don’t quite constantly comment or check all the time like I used to. It’s quite helpful to have other things to do in addition to commenting here.

Basically, if you’re bored of talking about nothing, then I recommend seeing if you can get your hands on one of the great games of the generation! In the last year I’ve played Persona 5 (great), NieR Automata (great), Dragon Quest XIS (great), the entire Resident Evil series (great), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (great), Rondo of Blood (great), Devil May Cry 1-5 (great)...among many others.

Yeah, I said they’re all great. But I’ve learned quite a bit about series I hadn’t played before. I recommend some folks do that as they wait for additional characters in Smash.
I envy your diversity. I'm still marathoning Dragon Quest after half a year playing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ResetEra mods @ Zippo rn:

(this was the only image I could find without swearing as I’m on mobile rn)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I thought of it more so if we are getting an direct it either goes these two ways.

1. March Direct but no FP6 who isn't revealed until April similar to Byeth to coincide with Amiibo theory.

or

2. March Direct that reveals FP6 doesn't release until April still coinciding with Amiibo theory.

D

Deleted member

I mean after the SwSh leaks, can you blame them?
They've been quite lenient with Smash for some time and only turned the red light with Pokemon...that's perfectly fine.

I thought of it more so if we are getting an direct it either goes these two ways.

1. March Direct but no FP6 who isn't revealed until April similar to Byeth to coincide with Amiibo theory.

or

2. March Direct that reveals FP6 doesn't release until April still coinciding with Amiibo theory.
1. I guess it'll be like Joker who is just revealed when everyone least expected it.

2. That's honestly the best outcome for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm
That explains yesterday’s Smash 4 Battlefield pic

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hmm
Welp, that dream is dead.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hmm
You gotta appreciate that Sakurai took the time to clear things up before too many people got the wrong idea about the old Battlefield version.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

No we can't! EVERYWHERE IS HERE!

Also, the DLC characters have the new stages. Exerything else can be old.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hmm
On a separate note, the new screenshot makes it look like Masked Dedede could've been an alt, not just part of the FS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I want Sector Z to return just because it's bigger and the hazards are slightly different. Corneria feels too small for me to enjoy.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
If I had to guess, I can see us getting a general Direct in the first half of March. Chances are, FP6 might be revealed by then. If not, then something similar in Byleth's case where we get a reveal in a character presentation video.

So where do you guys see the next character being revealed? In the next general Direct, or a character presentation video (like what happened with Byleth)?

Hmm
RIP speculation about old stages coming back as DLC
Feb 25, 2020-Feb 26,2020

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Hmm
I think someone wants to make a ssb4 battlefield for smash ultimate DLC thread just for bringing back ssb4 battlefield into smash ultimate.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2020/02/26/127623.html

Over 3000 votes.
85.7% male, 8.3% female, 5% no answer.
10's 54.7%, 20's 32%, 30's 6%, 40's 1%, 50's 0.5%, no answer 4.7%.

15. Geno 26 votes
14. Goku 32 votes
13. Reimu 42 votes
12. Kirito 50 votes
11. Saber 52 votes
10. Steve 55 votes
9. Arle 56 votes
8. Sephiroth 59 votes
7. Bandana Dee 64 votes
6. Crash 65 votes
5. 2B 70 votes
4. Rex 74 votes