• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think Brawl has the best and the most diverse newcomer roster.
Massive disagree, only because Ultimate hits an incredible balance between old and current newcomers, as well as a wide slew of third party characters from series that would never be in any older Smash Bros game. Keep in mind we still haven't even hit Ultimate's final newcomer selection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd say Smash 4 was probably the worst. We got a lot of new franchises, but fans of franchises already on the roster got screwed over big time.
You know, out of context that sounds SUPER-entitled but it's true.
Personally I would want more fanservice picks in the future but Ultimate's mix of fanservice and promoting new IPs (and Fire Emblem) is a good mix that pleases all aspects of the fanbase.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm still holding out for Monster Hunter even though the content already present for it in Ultimate is probably a big blow against their chances.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The thing I'm curious about with Yo-Kai Watch (and I suppose Digimon and other monster collector franchises) is if they would potentially implement a Yo-Kai Watch item that would act like the Pokeball and Assist Trophy and summon other Yo-Kai's from it. They most likely wouldn't do it for DLC but a potential thing for the next Smash I suppose...
I'd be super down for it. Dunno if there are any items that specifically summon Digimon though.

It'd also be cool if the Digimon and/or Yo-Kai acted differently from Pokémon. Something like Digimon following you around and attacking as you do like Luma or Arsene, and Yo-Kai inspiriting other fighters to cause various effects rather than attacking outright.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd be super down for it. Dunno if there are any items that specifically summon Digimon though.

It'd also be cool if the Digimon and/or Yo-Kai acted differently from Pokémon. Something like Digimon following you around and attacking as you do like Luma or Arsene, and Yo-Kai inspiriting other fighters to cause various effects rather than attacking outright.
That sounds pretty interesting now that you mention it. Yo-Kai's are intended to essentially cause status conditions (at least to the outside world that isn't aware of them being around) so having them cause various status effects towards you or your opponents might be an interesting way to implement the summoning item without making it too similar to the Pokeball and Assist Trophy.

And yeah, Digimon can probably briefly accompany you and fight alongside you for a short period of time.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Man I didn't even want Terry all that much but all of these posts aged like butter left out in the savanna.
Most of complaints came from people that were in stage of denial after the leak. Usually in these moments is when you see really stupid arguments just because the new character isn't the one who they wanted.
Of course, some people didn't want him because they were fans of other SNK characters, but that people wasn't the majority. I mean, there were people that didn't even heard about SNK, so...

D

Deleted member

Most of complaints came from people that were in stage of denial after the leak. Usually in these moments is when you see really stupid arguments just because the new character isn't the one who they wanted.
Of course, some people didn't want him because they were fans of other SNK characters, but that people wasn't the majority. I mean, there were people that didn't even heard about SNK, so...
It was also pretty chaotic because all we knew was the newcomer was from SNK before Verge confirmed Terry. I remember in the lead-up, Sabi was making a **** load of twitter posts and discord messages that only stirred confusion before just piggybacking off of Vergeben.

That, and I remember Gentlepanda stanning Nakoruru pretty hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I look forward to the next Smash game when people argue that the current slew of newcomers are the best selection.

It happened this time. It happened last time. And it happened the time before.

I think Brawl's was the best. Lotta variety, lotta fan favourites, lotta big names, and Smash's two biggest megaton reveals.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Trolling/bait
Yeah. Very few people were on board with his inclusion. Heck, I had more of an open mind to him and even I said he'd be boring.
It still amazes me that the same people who called Terry a “literal who” and were complaining about his inclusion for being “too niche” are the same ones who think Genoke and Shantal should be in this game.

Double standards, amirite?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm still holding out for Monster Hunter even though the content already present for it in Ultimate is probably a big blow against their chances.
For what it's worth I think Monster Hunter is very possible in the second fighters pass. Until the mii costume comes back I consider Monster Hunter another possible Capcom rep. Speaking of which, what happened to that rumor that King Zell talked about last year where he said a new Monster Hunter game was coming to the Switch this year?

D

Deleted member

I look forward to the next Smash game when people argue that the current slew of newcomers are the best selection.

I think Brawl's was the best. Lotta variety, lotta fan favourites, lotta big names, and Smash's two biggest megaton reveals.
I think the takeaway from this post is that newcomers are awesome.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It still amazes me that the same people who called Terry a “literal who” and were complaining about his inclusion for being “too niche” are the same ones who think Genoke and Shantal should be in this game.

You gotta stop with those misnaming memes. Maybe it flies on GameFAQs but it's super weird.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah I think Brawl had the best variety as well, a nice mix of everything for everyone whether new or old or in between (depending on where you place Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus and Wario) as well as a lot of big and popular names among them too.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Geno and Shantae has literally nothing to do with the current topic in the first place. Why are they suddenly mentioned?
Here, I’ll help.

That is why I mentioned them.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Back when the SNK leak happened, there was someone on the Smash Bros. reddit who tried to debunk the SNK leak by saying it's a trademark mixup. Needless to say there was a ton of confusion during the days leading up to Terry's reveal, even after Vergeben confirmed him two days before the reveal.

D

Deleted member

Other than Rathalos, we don't really have any Monster Hunter content. No stage, no spirits, not even the costumes returned. Monster Hunter would fall under our "everybody is open for postpass" theory if you don't count the one or two tracks we got for it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
For what it's worth I think Monster Hunter is very possible in the second fighters pass. Until the mii costume comes back I consider Monster Hunter another possible Capcom rep. Speaking of which, what happened to that rumor that King Zell talked about last year where he said a new Monster Hunter game was coming to the Switch this year?
I can't seem to recall the specifics of that rumor.

Even so, I believe Generations Ultimate performed rather well so it'd be silly for Capcom to never make another Monster Hunter game for the Switch, whether it be an entirely new thing or just a port.

Heoj

Smash Ace

Its really ****ty when people like you diss on other characters fanbases you know. Like, Geno is one of my most wanted along with Phoenix Wright and Knuckles/Tails, but I didn't complain about Terry being a "literal nobody". Was i screaming in joy when Terry was revealed, no, however after getting to know Terry and playing him, hes probably my favorite fighter pass character, just and just beating Banjo. So you shouldn't generalize the fanbases of certain characters. And i personally dont see the appeal of calling geno and shantae "genoke" and "shantal" but you do you i guess.

edit: I feel like i see this **** the most in Gamefaqs, people always generalise other fanbases like "all X supporters are Y" and so on and so on.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the takeaway from this post is that newcomers are awesome.
Newcomers are well and good but if any veteran was missing from Ultimate they'd almost certainly be the most requested character right now. Other than maybe YL and Pichu.

Yeah I think Brawl had the best variety as well, a nice mix of everything for everyone whether new or old or in between (depending on where you place Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus and Wario) as well as a lot of big and popular names among them too.
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I think the established nature of some of the longtime vets has coloured peoples' stance so as maybe to take them for granted more than the recent additions which people can clearly remember not having.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

EMHrkmGVUAALbJ3.jpeg.jpg

Look, I don't want Geno or Shantae either, but you really need to stop taking these cheap shots at their supporters.

You can explain why you think it's hypocritical without being condescending.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honestly think Rathalos already being represented and being arguably the face of Monster Hunter is an hard deconfirmation. I think if he/she or Palicos were gonna be in they would had been announced alongside Rathalos.

D

Deleted member

Newcomers are well and good but if any veteran was missing from Ultimate they'd almost certainly be the most requested character right now. Other than maybe YL and Pichu.
Given how Snake, Wolf, Pichu, Y. Link, etc all feel like brand new characters, they really feel like newcomers.

Helps that we now get to see their beautiful faces in modern hd renders.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I honestly think Rathalos already being represented and being arguably the face of Monster Hunter is an hard deconfirmation. I think if he/she or Palicos were gonna be in they would had been announced alongside Rathalos.
To be fair, the Mii Costumes are still missing, and one of them is literally Rathalos.

I don't think it's happening either, but the same logic keeping Geno alive should apply to Monster Hunter as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Given how Snake, Wolf, Pichu, Y. Link, etc all feel like brand new characters, they really feel like newcomers.

Helps that we now get to see their beautiful faces in modern hd renders.
Well it's great to have them back, but I've played enough (i.e. copious amounts) of every Smash game that no veteran is going to feel new to me unless they make some pretty major changes. I mean most of them weren't even changed too much.

I can understand how they'd feel new to people who have less experience with past Smash games... but that's just sort of the nature of all the characters being newcomers for someone at some point, whether you started with 64 or Brawl or Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Well it's great to have them back, but I've played enough (i.e. copious amounts) of every Smash game that no veteran is going to feel new to me unless they make some pretty major changes. I mean most of them weren't even changed too much.

I can understand how they'd feel new to people who have less experience with past Smash games... but that's just sort of the nature of all the characters being newcomers for someone at some point, whether you started with 64 or Brawl or Ultimate.
I guess I played enough Smash 4 to adjust to the fact that Snake and Wolf were dead and never coming back. Once the new Smash game comes out, I rarely have reason to go back to the old ones. Brawl replaced Melee, 4 replaced Brawl, and Ultimate replaced 4.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'd say Smash 4 was probably the worst. We got a lot of new franchises, but fans of franchises already on the roster got screwed over big time.

Ultimate partially addressed this by adding more Metroid and DK characters, but there's still a few that have been untouched for too long. Zelda and Kirby are the most obvious ones. Xenoblade is another one.
As someone who prefers seeing new franchises added to Smash over existing franchises I very much disagree. A bunch of key Nintendo franchises like Animal Crossing got its long over due rep, Wii Fit Trainer is still a hilarious WTF pick, Little Mac and Duck Hunt Dog were great a retro picks, new Nintendo franchises like Xenoblade got a lot of more exposure, and for some of the series that got a new rep one of the most popular Pokemon of all time Greninja was added and Rosalina was pretty much the best and most logical Mario new comer at that point and Fire Emblem finally getting a magic user with Robin. Then of course the third parties like Mega Man and Pac-Man who were longed requested, Ryu in hindsight was a fitting and logical choice for Smash, also Bayonetta while she may have killed the game she did make a lot of sense to add as she is basically a Nintendo character these. Then of course we got Cloud Strife need I say more?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess I played enough Smash 4 to adjust to the fact that Snake and Wolf were dead and never coming back. Once the new Smash game comes out, I rarely have reason to go back to the old ones. Brawl replaced Melee, 4 replaced Brawl, and Ultimate replaced 4.
Same for me because my Super Smash Bros. Brawl disk broke in the center (still runs, but I wouldn't trust it), and Ultimate invalidates all of the previous game's rosters. Also I don't own copies of Super Smash Bros. or Super Smash Bros. Melee.

As someone who prefers seeing new franchises added to Smash over existing franchises I very much disagree. A bunch of key Nintendo franchises like Animal Crossing got its long over due rep, Wii Fit Trainer is still a hilarious WTF pick, Little Mac and Duck Hunt Dog were great a retro picks, new Nintendo franchises like Xenoblade got a lot of more exposure, and for some of the series that got a new rep one of the most popular Pokemon of all time Greninja was added and Rosalina was pretty much the best and most logical Mario new comer at that point and Fire Emblem finally getting a magic user with Robin. Then of course the third parties like Mega Man and Pac-Man who were longed requested, Ryu in hindsight was a fitting and logical choice for Smash, also Bayonetta while she may have killed the game she did make a lot of sense to add as she is basically a Nintendo character these. Then of course we got Cloud Strife need I say more?
Ok. I think we can all agree that Super Smash Bros. had the worst newcomer spread. I mean seriously, there were only twelve of them and some of them were literal who's like Captain Falcon, and others were Jigglypuff. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Same.

I just couldn't imagine going back to play a Smash game that doesn't have 70+ characters available.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I can tell you that I may never end up playing Smash 4 again simply because I never intend to plug in my Wii U again. And I only know like two other people who even had one. :laugh:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Personally, I think Brawl had the nicest blend. Smash 4 added a lot of new franchises, but AC and the third-parties were the only ones that felt "big". Punch Out, Duck Hunt, and Xenoblade at the time weren't on the same level as the other franchises.

What if Geno doesn’t end up playable, though?
Monster Hunter should still be kept in consideration if Geno was given the benefit of the doubt.

Geno doesn't decide everything.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Capcom is like 80% Dante for me at this point. I'll admit I've been disregarding Monster Hunter a bit because their Mii Costumes being missing is questionable but could easily just come back with anyone else like the Megamen, it doesn't really feel like a Heihachi/Lloyd/Geno situation where them being missing raises serious eyebrows. It is a gigantic franchise but they also chose to represent it with Rathalos in the base game instead and there's the whole "We don't want the Hunters in fighting games" thing from the Monster Hunter team but they went back on that for MvC Infinite so who knows.

As for everyone else
  • Resident Evil got DLC spirited
  • Phoenix Wright could happen I guess but who knows what the deal with the franchise even is right now
  • Amaterasu isn't getting in without a new game and while Kamiya teased something with Okami who knows what the deal is with that and how far out it would even be if it is indeed happening
And then there's just Dante, Capcom's biggest franchise not represented in Smash, who just so happened to have a massive comeback last year with a big game release right around the time Fighter Pass 2 was likely being decided and his first 3 games being ported to Switch? I don't see Nintendo not picking him.

At this point there is a decent chance that neither of those costumes are coming back.
Why? Monster Hunter is literally represented in the game already and the other Capcom costumes got brought back, why not the 2 Monster Hunter costumes?

I don't get Geno either since he also has a spirit in the game so there's no reason his costume wouldn't be back, but atleast with him you can make the "Square is weird and so is Geno so his costume being gone doesn't mean anything" argument, no matter how much I disagree with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom