• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is that Mario Kart Tour?
You know, it seems like a lot of people love the new costumes and want them to be in the next full Mario Kart title. Looking at them all, I'm inclined to agree so long as it doesn't hamstring the roster.

Little Mac is just another anime brawler.
*flashbacks to Little Mac and Shulk face comparisons*

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, people actually complained about Terry being that because apparently having 3 fighting game characters in an 80 character roster is an outright invasion.
My best guess is because they don’t personally think that Terry would be diverse or interesting enough or something.

At least people aren’t complaining about punchy platformer mascots yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why would they, this fandom is super biased for platformers.

That's why people aren't allowed to say Banjo is niche even though it sold less than Fire Emblem, Persona and just western releases of Dragon Quest.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My best guess is because they don’t personally think that Terry would be diverse or interesting enough or something.

This is what the thread had to say about Terry the day before his reveal.

I won't go as far as to say Terry is redundant, but Yezen definitely has a point that as someone that isn't already a fan of Terry, he sure seems generic and boring. Even though I'm already a fan of Nakoruru prior to these leaks, she is infinitely more interesting and unique, and would be a much better addition to Smash.
Terry is Ken with a hat. Street Fighter and King of Fighters are similar games. He'd be a pretty boring addition.

LETS GO, OWL GIRL!
No doubt there's people who'll like terry, just like any figter would have fans.
Needless to say I'm with the crowd that Terry would be extremely boring and also in general it feels like the tipping point for me to feel very disappointed in the dlc choices if he's in.

This isn't to debate at all, since this is how I feel about it. But I do know i'm not the only one.

I will say that I've played King of Fighters and have experience with most of the characters. I feel like it's not a good choice, for quite a few reasons. Anyway, carry on.
Yeah I think I might prefer the bird lady too if we have to have an SNK character, oh well...
I hope he brings in a nice stage and music at least.
This is such an unfair claim. Its not the fact that people are sick of "punchers" in Smash. It's the fact that Ken and Ryu are as basic as a fighting-game-fighter template you can get, and Terry is the same thing.

A punch from Minecraft Steve would be more unique than a punch from Terry.

In the end, Im not salty over SNK. Id just prefer any fighter over Terry (like Nakoruru).

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Why would they, this fandom is super biased for platformers.

That's why people aren't allowed to say Banjo is niche even though it sold less than Fire Emblem, Persona and just western releases of Dragon Quest.
Are you talking in terms of cumulative sales or individual games sales? Because I’m pretty sure the first BK game sold about as well as Persona 5.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are you talking in terms of cumulative sales or individual games sales? Because I’m pretty sure the first BK game sold about as well as Persona 5.
Cumulative, the series has sold more than 11 million units. To compare, Banjo-Kazooie sold less than half of this.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

Oh trust me, they have been. That camp has admittedly been quieter than the backlash against "anime swordsmen", but what I have heard has been nothing short of bloodthirsty.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
You know, it seems like a lot of people love the new costumes and want them to be in the next full Mario Kart title. Looking at them all, I'm inclined to agree so long as it doesn't hamstring the roster.

*flashbacks to Little Mac and Shulk face comparisons*
By the way they are being implemented now it wouldn’t surprise me if they made the costumes unique characters with distinct slots and attributes like in MK tour. The MK Tour roster is nearly at 70 characters already despite only being a few months old and that would be a good way to beef up the roster. Add every other Mario kart racer while they are at it. It’s nearly got the ultimate roster

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a reminder for those who can't see the Byleth icon - clear your image cache. On Google Chrome, you do this by going to the three dots on the top right, going down to More Tools, and clicking on Clear Browsing Data (or just hit Control + Shift + Delete).

Only select Cached Images And Files, so you don't accidentally get signed out of most sites or lose your browsing history.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Isn't that basically what the whole "Cereal Mascot" meme is?
It's to point out the hypocrisy of "Waaaah anime sword fighters BAAAAAAAAD" despite anime sword fighters not being the majority of the roster, as the people who whine about anime sword fighters being overrepped in the game never complain about what actual has the majority and go "OOH OOH ADD ANOTHER ONE!". It's never been a criticism of the game, but one of dumbasses complaining about swords

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn't that basically what the whole "Cereal Mascot" meme is?
A meme is pretty much what it is. It's born as a joke to show how ridiculous most "anime swordsmen" complaints are and people don't really use it unironically outside of that context that much.

D

Deleted member

Man I didn't even want Terry all that much but all of these posts aged like butter left out in the savanna.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
It certainly didn't help that during the days leading up to Terry's reveal there were rumors of "a female character with a flying weapon" being the 4th character in the first Fighters Pass (which was proven false after Terry's reveal) and the Milk Bosatu claims going around, despite the fact that credible insiders were pointing to Terry after the SNK leak.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I get the purpose of the cereal box mascot joke, but I don't think it's really comparable to "Too many anime swordfighters!" One is grouping all characters who wield the same type of weapon together. The other is essentially grouping all cartoon characters together.

Of course the latter would have more characters. If people were only complaining about anime characters and not the swordfighter part, then we'd be including non-sword characters like Joker too.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Oh we're talking about Level-5 reps? Well, allow me to reassess my ONLY want Level-5 rep, despite the fact that even I know it'll never happen.
4362.gif

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh we're talking about Level-5 reps? Well, allow me to reassess my ONLY want Level-5 rep, despite the fact that even I know it'll never happen.
I'd probably place Ni No Kuni behind Layton and Yo-Kai Watch as far as potential Level-5 franchises go.
Even if Level-5 themselves essentially have Inazuma Eleven set alongside Layton and Yo-Kai Watch as their main three flagship franchises...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah. Very few people were on board with his inclusion. Heck, I had more of an open mind to him and even I said he'd be boring.
Terry is boring. He'd probably be interesting in terms of playstyle, but as a fighting game character he's going to have a high skill floor, and his special attacks aren't that interesting themselves so most players won't be able to appreciate it. Some of his special attacks could even be normals in Smash. A super meter would be his saving grace.
Boy was I wrong. Also, I seemed to have called his ability to use super moves separate from his Final Smash, although, there isn't any sort of meter involved.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For Level 5 I'd say Professor Layton would be the msot recognisable one but they still seem to be on the Yokai Watch train, even if it's lost steam outside fo Japan.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it's Level-5 that developed the game in general.
Yeah I vaguely remember hearing something about a remaster or something last year that Bandai Namco published or something. I know Bandai Namco haven’t actually helped develop any of the original games or at least I think they haven’t.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For Level 5 I'd say Professor Layton would be the msot recognisable one but they still seem to be on the Yokai Watch train, even if it's lost steam outside fo Japan.
Yokai Watch's downfall for me is that befriending specific Yokai is like shiny hunting, refusing a to get duplicate Yokai makes you feel bad, and all the fights are autobattles with a little bit of interaction. (The last point may not be fair. It's been a long time since I played the first one so my memory may have faded on it.)

Also, the show was kinda neat, but after a while it just boiled down to:
*something obviously weird happens*
Nate: "There must be a Yokai nearby."
Whisper: "Not everything is the work of a Yokai Na-"
Nate: "Found it."
Me: *surprised Pikachu face*
*Whisper frantically searches the web for it*
Whisper: "Ah yes! It's [INSERT X YOKAI]! I knew it all along. It's responsible for the [X] scenario!"
*Nate makes a bunch of obviously stupid decisions until something works*
Now it's time for a hit or miss side story!

Would be curious to see how Jibanyan would act in Super Smash Bros. though.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing I'm curious about with Yo-Kai Watch (and I suppose Digimon and other monster collector franchises) is if they would potentially implement a Yo-Kai Watch item that would act like the Pokeball and Assist Trophy and summon other Yo-Kai's from it. They most likely wouldn't do it for DLC but a potential thing for the next Smash I suppose...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Jibanyan being an AT or maybe a suprise character from a Pokeball is the best I see for Yokai Watch. I don't think it'll get a character if its downward spiral continues, and I definitely don't see them making an entire line of Yokai assists.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Brawl has the best and the most diverse newcomer roster.
Makes sense to me as it had the most to work with.
64 was the start
Melee focused on filling out the main series
4 focused on new series
Base Ultimate was adding fan requests
DLC Ultimate has been an exersize in figuring out where this train is headed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Brawl has the best and the most diverse newcomer roster.
I'd say Smash 4 was probably the worst. We got a lot of new franchises, but fans of franchises already on the roster got screwed over big time.

Ultimate partially addressed this by adding more Metroid and DK characters, but there's still a few that have been untouched for too long. Zelda and Kirby are the most obvious ones. Xenoblade is another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom