• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ah. Well in that case, something more obvious, like turning the grounded Spin Attack into the Hurricane Spin.
Maybe turn his grab/tether into the grappling hook if you really wanna dig for differences.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I would love a decloned Young Link with Majora's Mask based moveset.
Masks don't necessarily mean we should get 3 fully playable additional characters, it's enough if Link transforms for just one special move or something.
Also I would like some ocarina songs to be featured in the moveset, such as song of storm to cast lightnings or something (kinda like that Brawlout character). I like OoT Link because he's partially warrior, a mage and a bard at the same time, and I would have loved those element to be represented in the moveset.
(other Links also play music and do magic, but OoT/MM Link is the one with the most focus on music).

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It would be neat if Toon Link had some more acrobatic attack options, like a dodge/rolling attack similar in concept to like, flip kick or something.

But that's kind of against his core gameplay design. You'd probably have to restructure is item / projectile play to incorporate a move like that into his kit in a balanced fashion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It would be neat if Toon Link had some more acrobatic attack options, like a dodge/rolling attack similar in concept to like, flip kick or something.

But that's kind of against his core gameplay design. You'd probably have to restructure is item / projectile play to incorporate a move like that into his kit in a balanced fashion.
Eh, people want mage Ganon so I could see an overhaul if they truly desire one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
His hurricane spin is already in his up special, just let him be able to move with it on the ground at the cost of end lag.

Ice Arrows could be cool though, switch it to them with the R (or shield?) button like in the original WW.
He kind of had the Hurricane spin with the trail and all in Smash 4, especially with one of his custom moves. But since that was removed, he has more of a regular spin attack as the other Link's. It would be nice if they fully implemented the Hurricane spin for Toon Link in a future entry, It's kind of his signature move much like the Shoulder Bash is to Wario and the Roll for DK since it was mainly used for the Link's that shared the Toon Link design throughout the Zelda series.
The other Link's usually had the Great Spin or a variant that caused a large red/fiery trail, which Link kind of had in Smash 64 if I recall.

I thought about having the Ice Arrows more as a contrast between him, Link and Young Link, but I suppose that could work too.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Okay so looking at brawlhalla, it’s not as small as some people make it out to be. It’s got Rayman, Shovel Knight, Steven Universe(?) and now Lara Croft. It’s obviously nothing for Smash to be scared of, but if I were a developer trying to get my character in smash and it got denied brawlhalla is probably the second or third place I would go to.

edit: just realized Ubisoft published brawlhalla so Rayman doesn’t count

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Interesting that those are all western (or largely western, due to Square Enix owning Tomb Raider) IPs, two of which are already in Smash in some form. They're clearly interested in crossovers and probably wouldn't say no to being fully fledged DLC fighters.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Interesting that those are all western (or largely western, due to Square Enix owning Tomb Raider) IPs, two of which are already in Smash in some form. They're clearly interested in crossovers and probably wouldn't say no to being fully fledged DLC fighters.
Well those examples weren’t exactly me trying to say “these people probably attempted to put so and so in smash but failed and went to brawlhalla” they were just examples of why Brawlhalla isn’t exactly a small game. But for examples of the former, I’d think Lara Croft is definitely up there. I don’t think it deconfirms shovel knight, but I think his smash assist trophy does. I think an assist trophy can only get upgraded if it’s a largely requested character. But the point is, it could mean that Lara doesn’t have a chance for Smash. Not Rayman though, since Ubisoft would put their mascot in a game like this. It’s still fully possible he could get in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah, it's not one of their original properties. Square Enix is still stingy.
IMG_20200223_111748.jpg

I'm going to be blunt about this.

Evil Trapezium should have died. He has boring posts with uninteresting topics and the jokes focus on the most boring answers possible on a forum. "Oh no, Square Enix isn't actually stingy" Like wow, real interesting fact. If I wanted to point out something people don't seems to understand, I'd say Cortez is in because that statement allows you to remember Timesplitters, classic Rare, FPSes, Square Enix Europe, EA, a studio called THQ Nordic and a developer named Steve Ellis who's been working on a new installment for at least 5 months

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Quick question but why hasn’t Level 5 gotten any representation in Smash yet? They’ve been supporting Nintendo systems for a fairly long time now with their 2 biggest ip being Yokai Watch and Layton being synonymous with them. I almost feel as if they are the SNK of this pass where it’s a fairly large non represented Japanese company who aren’t being discussed as much as they probably should.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Quick question but why hasn’t Level 5 gotten any representation in Smash yet? They’ve been supporting Nintendo systems for a fairly long time now with their 2 biggest ip being Yokai Watch and Layton being synonymous with them. I almost feel as if they are the SNK of this pass where it’s a fairly large non represented Japanese company who aren’t being discussed as much as they probably should.
Your guess is as good as mine, you'd think they would have at least gotten a spirit event by now...

Closest Level-5 related thing in Smash currently is Eight as one of the alts for Hero, since Level-5 worked on Dragon Quest VIII, although they aren't really credited anywhere for his inclusion, so its more of a Diddy Kong/King.K.Rool type of deal...

So yeah, currently nothing they own is in the game right now.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Your guess is as good as mine, you'd think they would have at least gotten a spirit event by now...

Closest Level-5 related thing in Smash currently is Eight as one of the alts for Hero, since Level-5 worked on Dragon Quest VIII, although they aren't really credited for his inclusion, so its more of a Diddy Kong/King.K.Rool type of deal...

So yeah, currently nothing they own is in the game right now.
Like I said Id hope it’s another SNK situation where no one is discussing until it’s actually confirmed but I suppose we won’t know until the end of the pass or until it’s announced. Imo they should definitely have something in game aside from the hero alt as its not really truly level 5

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Like I said Id hope it’s another SNK situation where no one is discussing until it’s actually confirmed but I suppose we won’t know until the end of the pass or until it’s announced. Imo they should definitely have something in game aside from the hero alt as its not really truly level 5
Yeah I hope so too.

I'd be kind of surprised if we went through Smash Ultimate's entire DLC lifespan and we got absolutely nothing from Level-5 (that they own) at all whatsoever.
I'd expect at the very least a spirit event from them sooner or later...
Like you said, they've been a very close partner with Nintendo for many years now and even did a few collaborations in the past.

But yeah, hopefully they will manage to get a playable character in there...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's still a chance. We still have 6 slots to go. Whose to say Layton ain't among those?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 263526
I'm going to be blunt about this.

Evil Trapezium should have died. He has boring posts with uninteresting topics and the jokes focus on the most boring answers possible on a forum. "Oh no, Square Enix isn't actually stingy" Like wow, real interesting fact. If I wanted to point out something people don't seems to understand, I'd say Cortez is in because that statement allows you to remember Timesplitters, classic Rare, FPSes, Square Enix Europe, EA, a studio called THQ Nordic and a developer named Steve Ellis who's been working on a new installment for at least 5 months
Can someone please explain to me who Cortez is? Like people keep bringing him up to me for some reason but I have no idea why. Like why would he have any significance in Smash Bros? I don't about anyone else, I'm just really confused.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
If Layton gets in or has Spirit Event, I want them to be extremely hard and only have specific way of being beaten, like finding a solution to the puzzles in Layton's games. Granted, that's never going to happen because of how the difficulty of Spirits is set up, but that would be the first time I'd thoroughly enjoy the Spirit battle concept.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Then again, we do not know the direction of the pass, so...
I mean we kinda do if their selection is like the first pass. At the same time we don’t know if that Willa be the selection style so your point still stands. But I fully expect the selection to be like FP1. Character to get people invested, a character from a famous series from a returning company, a fan favourite, a non represented new Japanese company and some new first party character. 6 is anyone’s guess.

There's still a chance. We still have 6 slots to go. Whose to say Layton ain't among those?
Of course. Just that it’s surprising how overlooked Level 5 is in speculation imo. I’m fairly certain Level 5 should get something by the end of the dlc and imo a playable character is the best bet. Excluding Sony they are probably the biggest video game company not yet represented. Excluded Sony because... Sony.

Yeah I hope so too.

I'd be kind of surprised if we went through Smash Ultimate's entire DLC lifespan and we got absolutely nothing from Level-5 (that they own) at all whatsoever.
I'd expect at the very least a spirit event from them sooner or later...
Like you said, they've been a very close partner with Nintendo for many years now and even did a few collaborations in the past.

But yeah, hopefully they will manage to get a playable character in there...
On the topic of playable character, Layton or Jibanyan. Both have similar pros and cons. Jibanyan is arguable their mascot who is probably more iconic, Layton is the fan favourite and is a bit more established than Yokai watch because it’s existed for a longer amount of time. Unless they pull off something like Inazuma Eleven which would be surprising.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On the topic of playable character, Layton or Jibanyan. Both have similar pros and cons. Jibanyan is arguable their mascot who is probably more iconic, Layton is the fan favourite and is a bit more established than Yokai watch because it’s existed for a longer amount of time. Unless they pull off something like Inazuma Eleven which would be surprising.
I suppose it would depend on which side they decide to appeal to. Yo-Kai Watch's main popularity lies in Japan, although it hasn't quite managed to make it as big overseas. Whereas the Layton series is bigger worldwide, especially in Europe.

So it would be more of a matter of which demographic they would want to appeal to I suppose, the Japanese audience, or the Western audience...

Inazuma Eleven is probably the third pillar of Level-5 although the series is practically a non-entity in the US outside of a 3DS eShop port of the first game, so I'm not quite as sure on that one...

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it would depend on which side they decide to appeal to. Yo-Kai Watch's main popularity lies in Japan, although it hasn't quite managed to make it as big overseas. Whereas the Layton series is bigger worldwide, especially in Europe.

So it would be more of a matter of which demographic they would want to appeal to I suppose, the Japanese audience, or the Western audience...

Inazuma Eleven is probably the third pillar of Level-5 although the series is practically a non-entity in the US outside of a 3DS eShop port of the first game, so I'm not quite as sure on that one...
Yeah inazuma eleven hasn’t got a shot in hell until the other 2 get in. Would be a surprise though. And yeah you’re right about what fanbase they’d like to appeal to. Out of the two I think Layton would have more potential.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah inazuma eleven hasn’t got a shot in hell until the other 2 get in. Would be a surprise though. And yeah you’re right about what fanbase they’d like to appeal to. Out of the two I think Layton would have more potential.
I believe Sakurai did state during Cloud's inclusion that its only natural to go for the character that enjoys more worldwide popularity, which is probably why Final Fantasy got prioritized before Dragon Quest despite the latter being practically a religion in Japan, so that might give Layton a bit more of an edge over Jibanyan, but I suppose it would remain to be seen what they will do if Level-5 where to finally get a playable character in there..

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All I have to say in regard to Layton is that I expect a number of people to complain about how “obscure” or “not hype” he would be in the hypothetical scenario where he’d end up being DLC. At least nobody would call him “Hat Ken”. :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
All I have to say in regard to Layton is that I expect a number of people to complain about how “obscure” or “not hype” he would be in the hypothetical scenario where he’d end up being DLC. At least nobody would call him “Hat Ken”. :troll:
Nah they'd call him "Adult Ness" instead. Or "British Marth". :upsidedown:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nope they'd call him "Adult Ness" instead. Or "British Marth". :upsidedown:
I now present to you Super Smash Ultimate: The Redundant Edition Roster:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Edgy Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Green Mario
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Girl Kirby
  • Peach
  • Orange Peach
  • Bowser
  • Alaskan Nesses
  • Ninja Elf Peach
  • Elf Peach
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pikachu Jr.
  • Bird Fox
  • Marth
  • Girl Marth
  • Mini - Link
  • Captain Falcondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Fire Marth
  • Dad Marth
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Zorro Kirby
  • Angel Marth
  • Edgy Angel Marth
  • Nude Samus
  • Yellow Mario
  • Snake
  • Scruffy Marth
  • Teen Ness (featuring Tiny Blue Bowser, Tiny Frog Bowser and Dragon Bowser)
  • Tiny Donkey Kong
  • Blonde Ness
  • Sonic
  • Penguin Bowser
  • Alien Mario
  • Blue Mewtwo
  • ROB
  • Mini - Link 2.0
  • Edgy Fox
  • Demonic Ness
  • Mega Man
  • Nude Mannequin Samus
  • Blue Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Frog Mewtwo
  • Mii Fighters
  • Greek Elf Peach
  • Pac-Man
  • Magic Marth
  • British Marth
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Karate Mac
  • Blond Karate Mac
  • Blonde Scruffy Marth
  • Dragon Marth
  • Nude Goth Samus
  • Squid Ness
  • Skinny Dragon Bowser
  • Simon Belmont
  • Karate Mac Belmont
  • Krok Bowser
  • Dog Ness
  • Tiger Bowser
  • Piranha Plant
  • Tuxedo Marth
  • Dragon Ball Marth
  • Duck Hunt Duo 2.0
  • Blonde Trucker Karate Mac
  • Professor Marth
Everyone Is an Echo Fighter! :troll:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Edgy Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Green Mario
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Girl Kirby
  • Peach
  • Orange Peach
  • Bowser
  • Alaskan Nesses
  • Ninja Elf Peach
  • Elf Peach
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pikachu Jr.
  • Bird Fox
  • Marth
  • Girl Marth
  • Mini - Link
  • Captain Falcondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Fire Marth
  • Dad Marth
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Zorro Kirby
  • Angel Marth
  • Edgy Angel Marth
  • Nude Samus
  • Yellow Mario
  • Snake
  • Scruffy Marth
  • Tiny Donkey Kong
  • Blonde Ness
  • Sonic
  • Penguin Bowser
  • Alien Mario
  • Blue Mewtwo
  • ROB
  • Mini - Link 2.0
  • Edgy Fox
  • Demonic Ness
  • Mega Man
  • Nude Mannequin Samus
  • Blue Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Frog Mewtwo
  • Mii Fighters
  • Greek Elf Peach
  • Pac-Man
  • Magic Marth
  • British Marth
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Karate Mac
  • Blond Karate Mac
  • Blonde Scruffy Marth
  • Dragon Marth
  • Nude Goth Samus
  • Squid Ness
  • Skinny Dragon Bowser
  • Simon Belmont
  • Karate Mac Belmont
  • Krok Bowser
  • Dog Ness
  • Tiger Bowser
  • Piranha Plant
  • Tuxedo Marth
  • Dragon Ball Marth
  • Duck Hunt Duo 2.0
  • Professor Marth
Is that Mario Kart Tour?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Flik

Smash Journeyman
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Edgy Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Green Mario
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Girl Kirby
  • Peach
  • Orange Peach
  • Bowser
  • Alaskan Nesses
  • Ninja Elf Peach
  • Elf Peach
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pikachu Jr.
  • Bird Fox
  • Marth
  • Girl Marth
  • Mini - Link
  • Captain Falcondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Fire Marth
  • Dad Marth
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Zorro Kirby
  • Angel Marth
  • Edgy Angel Marth
  • Nude Samus
  • Yellow Mario
  • Snake
  • Scruffy Marth
  • Tiny Donkey Kong
  • Blonde Ness
  • Sonic
  • Penguin Bowser
  • Alien Mario
  • Blue Mewtwo
  • ROB
  • Mini - Link 2.0
  • Edgy Fox
  • Demonic Ness
  • Mega Man
  • Nude Mannequin Samus
  • Blue Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Frog Mewtwo
  • Mii Fighters
  • Greek Elf Peach
  • Pac-Man
  • Magic Marth
  • British Marth
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Karate Mac
  • Blond Karate Mac
  • Blonde Scruffy Marth
  • Dragon Marth
  • Nude Goth Samus
  • Squid Ness
  • Skinny Dragon Bowser
  • Simon Belmont
  • Karate Mac Belmont
  • Krok Bowser
  • Dog Ness
  • Tiger Bowser
  • Piranha Plant
  • Tuxedo Marth
  • Dragon Ball Marth
  • Duck Hunt Duo 2.0
  • Professor Marth
My most wanted are Evil Karate Mac, Armored Blonde Marth, Magic Fire Marth, Japanese Girl Marth, Goth Peach and Plain Peach.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If we got Layton and there’s no Phoenix alt I’m :crying:
Sneak in an objection or any speech bubble taunt to reference the crossover game they both had then have the fan base rally around it as a hint and watch them wait for Phoenix to come.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I know about what Zippo said and all, but why have I seen so many people confident in a Direct next week?

General Directs have never occurred this late in the month before.

D

Deleted member

I know about what Zippo said and all, but why have I seen so many people confident in a Direct next week?

Well, you know what they say:
There’s a first time for everything.:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Some people think they have to have one before PAX, which they still haven't revealed their lineup for. It's especially notable because they usually announce it early on. Then again, the coronavirus has already scared away two companies...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Edgy Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Green Mario
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Girl Kirby
  • Peach
  • Orange Peach
  • Bowser
  • Alaskan Nesses
  • Ninja Elf Peach
  • Elf Peach
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pikachu Jr.
  • Bird Fox
  • Marth
  • Girl Marth
  • Mini - Link
  • Captain Falcondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Fire Marth
  • Dad Marth
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Zorro Kirby
  • Angel Marth
  • Edgy Angel Marth
  • Nude Samus
  • Yellow Mario
  • Snake
  • Scruffy Marth
  • Tiny Donkey Kong
  • Blonde Ness
  • Sonic
  • Penguin Bowser
  • Alien Mario
  • Blue Mewtwo
  • ROB
  • Mini - Link 2.0
  • Edgy Fox
  • Demonic Ness
  • Mega Man
  • Nude Mannequin Samus
  • Blue Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Frog Mewtwo
  • Mii Fighters
  • Greek Elf Peach
  • Pac-Man
  • Magic Marth
  • British Marth
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Karate Mac
  • Blond Karate Mac
  • Blonde Scruffy Marth
  • Dragon Marth
  • Nude Goth Samus
  • Squid Ness
  • Skinny Dragon Bowser
  • Simon Belmont
  • Karate Mac Belmont
  • Krok Bowser
  • Dog Ness
  • Tiger Bowser
  • Piranha Plant
  • Tuxedo Marth
  • Dragon Ball Marth
  • Duck Hunt Duo 2.0
  • Professor Marth
Cant accept this without Pink Gold Peach or all 8 Koopalings getting their own slots. So in short, half the newer Mario Kart games roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom