• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Mornin.

I'm guessing everyone set their sights on a Direct next week thanks to Zippo calling the AC Direct...but hey, he didn't leak who FP6 is, right?

Troykv

Smash Master
So... when we should expect the next character? April? Until E3?

BTW, happy 13th anniversary for Radiant Dawn, more specifically the japanese one, it's already February 22nd in Japan.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I want to call out the 40th anniversary of the devs that started the series that this site is named after and why we are all here:

hal-40th-2_feature.jpg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I want to call out the 40th anniversary of the devs that started the series that this site is named after and why we are all here:
*When you look at a company's character roster when their bread and butter outshines everything else*
"Oh look it's the Kirby guys! And the Boxboy peeps I guess. And some pixely animals. And...Who are those guys?"

That's not to say HAL Laboratory's a bad company in the slightest though. I just thought it was funny. Also, I imagine the animals are from 3D Picross, but who are the other not Kirby characters? They're freaking adorable.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
*When you look at a one trick pony's character roster*
"Oh look it's the Kirby guys! And the Boxboy peeps I guess. And some pixely animals. And...Who are those guys?"

That's not to say HAL Laboratory's a bad company in the slightest though. I just thought it was funny. Also, I imagine the animals are from 3D Picross, but who are the other not Kirby characters? They're freaking adorable.
There are characters from Part Time UFO (a mobile game), the Gator from Pinball Revenge of the Gator, a card from Arcana, Ness, a bass from Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing and probably some others that I don't recognise.

Lolo and Lala also existed before Kirby in case some were unaware.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So do you guys think it’s likely that we’ll get another direct by the 29th since Zippo correctly predicted the AC direct perfectly? And if so who do you think is getting in?
I personally hope we get Jerry Gergich from parks and recreation on a direct on the 29th, since that’s when he was born.
I believe this is perfect reasoning and this makes it really obvious who FP6 is. If we get a general direct on the 29th, that is.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There are characters from Part Time UFO (a mobile game), the Gator from Pinball Revenge of the Gator, a card from Arcana, Ness, a bass from Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing and probably some others that I don't recognise.

Lolo and Lala also existed before Kirby in case some were unaware.
Wait that's Ness? Didn't recognize him because he looks like a teen.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Something to always keep in mind with insiders is plans change. Things get delayed, outright cancelled, etc. It's not just leakbait that leads to things never seeing the light of day. When I wrote for a certain site, I got info on projects all the time that weren't yet known and some got scrapped in the concept stage and never even got more than a codename.

This isn't in favor or against Zippo specifically, it's just talking about leaker culture in general and how volatile it is. Someone can still have information, but they'll NEVER be right all the time unless they're literally involved at an incredibly deep level and are just posing as some shmoe.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't think anyone will be leaking **** soon from Nintendo after Sabi provoked the wrath of God it seems.
I like how even Sabi gets the credit for the leaker crackdown. Not, you know, the whole Pokemon thing or Zippo, who's actually been disclosing stuff. What has Sabi even said recently that wasn't said first by someone else?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I like how even Sabi gets the credit for the leaker crackdown. Not, you know, the whole Pokemon thing or Zippo, who's actually been disclosing stuff. What has Sabi even said recently that wasn't said first by someone else?
Misdirected on that. I meant leakers as a whole. Had a brain fart.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Leakbait mainly became a topic of discussion in the Smash fanbase when folks started saying "Incineroar was leakbait" when the Grinch leak was front and center. The fact that folks continue to suggest leakbait is used, seemingly all the time, appears to overstate the way it would be legitimately used.

Harada, from the Tekken team, did say he used it once. However, there's never been anything to substantiate anything about there being a constant stream of "leak bait" as we know it.

Not everything has to revolve around leaks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Misdirected on that. I meant leakers as a whole. Had a brain fart.
Yeah, np.

They obviously did try to send a message with their public handling of that Portuguese site ultimately responsible for the Pokemon leak, but even with them clamping down, I still imagine information will eventually seep out.

But, at least for Smash, it would be nice to go into most of the reveals blind. For me, at least. Though I'm sure last time was a bit of a monkey paw for some of those of that same belief...

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just a nindies direct coming in March.

https://nintendoeverything.com/mort...ash-bros-would-be-a-really-cool-thing-to-see/

Guess we can rule out Mortal Kombat, then.

(Not that it ever had a chance of being in Smash, anyways)
I'd rather keep an eye out for things like that. This happened with the SNK interview and Terry arrived. Though we might only get a Mii costume or a Spirit event and that's if we're lucky.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://nintendoeverything.com/mort...ash-bros-would-be-a-really-cool-thing-to-see/

Guess we can rule out Mortal Kombat, then.

(Not that it ever had a chance of being in Smash, anyways)
An interviewer asked him about MK being in Smash and he just "yeah that'd be cool!"

Like... what else was he supposed to say? If I ask Harada about Heihachi being in Smash and he says "I'd love that!" does that mean Heihachi is deconfirmed?

As someone who doesn't give ten craps about Mortal Kombat, this is in no way a deconfirmation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Didn't Studio MDHR say the same thing about Cuphead?
Wouldn't that exactly be the opposite?

I don't understand how that's an deconfirmation if Ed Boon says he'd like to see Scorpion in Smash...I see this like how Phil Spencer said "Yes" about Banjo not to say it'll happen that is.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
An interviewer asked him about MK being in Smash and he just "yeah that'd be cool!"

Like... what else was he supposed to say? If I ask Harada about Heihachi being in Smash and he says "I'd love that!" does that mean Heihachi is deconfirmed?

As someone who doesn't give ten craps about Mortal Kombat, this is in no way a deconfirmation.
He wouldn't say anything at all if Scorpion in.

Wouldn't that exactly be the opposite?

I don't understand how that's an deconfirmation if Ed Boon says he'd like to see Scorpion in Smash...I see this like how Phil Spencer said "Yes" about Banjo not to say it'll happen that is.
Keep in mind that Banjo wasn't in the base game, which is when Phil/Rare were still talking about Banjo potentially being in or not. It wasn't until the DLC was announced/finalized that they went suspiciously quiet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

EDIT: Thinking about it more what I originally said was incorrect reasoning that doesn't even make sense. What would really make this a disconfirmation is the hypothetical nature of the response; It implies that no negotiations have been made at this time, which would mean that a Mortal Kombat character will not be added to the roster.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ed Boon didn't even say anything negative or the opposite of an deconfirmation. The fact he said "It'd be cool" means he's up for Scorpion being Smash. What gives you the idea its an deconfirmation to begin with?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
A few days before FP1 was announced

Of course, I also asked about the possibility of an SNK character in Smash Bros. The answer was not unexpected:

“I’d love that, please Nintendo-san!”​
If Nintendo asked for a character for Smash Bros. he mentioned that a fun idea would be Poppy (Galford’s dog from Samurai Shodown) on his own. A ninja dog would be a cool option.
I don't think MK has a snowball's chance in hell at making it in but this isn't exactly new territory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never found an MK rep to be a possibility at all for Smash with the lack of popularity in Japan and MK11 not being [officially] released over there, but Ed Boon's comment doesn't mean anything. He just thinks it would be cool, but it doesn't strengthen or weaken Mortal Kombat's chances at all.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
So it's the Devil May Cry 5 anniversary today. This is going to be really unlikely because there's probably a direct coming in the next week, but I hope Nintendo reveals Dante without a direct, similar to what they did to Robin and Lucina in Smash 4.

Either that, or we get a Devil May Cry spirit event next week.
This has absolutely nothing to do with DMC, but it just struck me how many awesome anniversaries we have going on this year. Three of my all-time favorites - Majora's Mask, Paper Mario, and Pokemon Gold/Silver - all turn 20 this year! Time to buy a cake!

Red Dead Redemption turns 10, both God of War and Resident Evil 4 are turning 15, The Sims and Pro Skater 2 are each turning 20, Chrono Trigger is turning 25, Super Mario World is turning 30, and of course Pac-Man is finally over the hill.

This is a killer year for video game anniversaries. Here's hoping most (if not all) of these great titles are celebrated with Smash content!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I would probably be down with Scorpion, as others have said, we don't need Ed Boon to confirm that Scorpion isn't "in" when there are other factors working against Mortal Kombat being in Smash.

Now, that's not to say it's impossible, I wouldn't really say anything is impossible. I'd more say that there are factors against it (lack of presence in Japan for one) that make it seem unlikely.

I do think it's interesting that Ed Boon views Smash as a "seal of approval" though. That's kinda crazy. There are plenty of amazing games out there not in Smash that are magnificent. Smash isn't necessarily a vehicle for "your game is good...if you're not in you're not one of the cool kids".

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
He wouldn't say anything at all if Scorpion in.
Let's pretend you are in Ed Boon's shoes during the interview and that Scorpion actually is coming to Smash.

What are you supposed to do then when the interviewer asks you about Mortal Kombat in Smash? Just awkwardly not open your mouth and give away that Scorpion is in Smash?

He just that he'd love to see it happen... I really don't see how this is a deconfirmation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still two things stops Scorpion from possibility getting in.

Mortal Kombat not being localized in Japan.

Lacks popularity there.

Any possible counters to those?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Ed Boon's comment in regards to MK being in smash is neither a confirmation or a deconfirmation.

It's just a polite and expected response to a question.

Nothing more, nothing less.

People be reading too much into it.

D

Deleted member

That MK comment is just...look, everyone really needs to go and read the very title. Boon just said that it would be a cool thing and all. It's not that "CONFIRMED!" that people gush over and over.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Still two things stops Scorpion from possibility getting in.

Mortal Kombat not being localized in Japan.

Lacks popularity there.

Any possible counters to those?
The only thing would be a recognition (and care for) it's popularity in America. Of the "America loves but Japan couldn't care less for" series I'd say Halo has the edge since it's audience isn't restricted to people 18+.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Isn't its official name just "Knight" though? I think most people just prefer to say "Hollow Knight" instead of "Knight (Hollow Knight)" all the time since the latter sounds redundant. If this isn't the case than what is its name?

This logic is so flawed I can't even begin to air my grievances with it. lol

Really hope it doesn't become too prominent here.
Do you mean that I’m incorrect about how folks treat leakers, or just the wording I gave?

If you hope that people blindly believing leakers doesn’t become prominent, then I hate to to tell you, but...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom