• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What holds back Heihachi isn’t being arbitrarily cooler than Lloyd (I personally like both characters), but more the gameplay. Sakurai already has struggled with the character in terms of this.

If Ninty comes to him with Heihachi, he could be shot down right then and there if Sakurai doesn’t think he can get him to faithfully work.

Lloyd looks good for being the Tales of pick though, because when it came to the Mii costume itself, Sakurai essentially thought, “Who else but Lloyd?”.

Really no need for the childish insults. Embarrassing really.
I agree that we shouldn't get at each others necks for the cool crossover videogame. As for whether Heihachi would get shot down again due to complications, I don't know. We know the guy managed to figure things out for other characters, so whether or not Heihachi will join said group of characters, only time will tell I think. His issues are different from Ridley, who's situation was different from Villager ect ect.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey, Dante fan here, in which universe Devil May Cry is bigger than Tekken?
I agree, DMC isn't bigger than Tekken. But if we speak only about the characters, I don't think considering Dante a bigger character than Heihachi is particularly wrong.

Could be a Danganronpa fighting game (which I'd LOVE to see). realistically tho I think Monokuma would get in Smash as nothing more than a costume. hopefully a premium (Brawler) one with a music track
I'll play Danganronpa at some point, it has my interest. Hopefully they will put the games on sale soon on the Vita lol
Which track do you think they would include if Monokuma ends getting the Mii Costume treatment? I have listened some themes from the games and so far I like the soundtrack.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I like X. But I prefer Megaman Volnutt. So Legends for me.
I can respect that. You if haven't already, you can vote on the poll to the thread in my sig. Not too many people voted for Mega Man Volnutt yet. Most votes were for MMX, Zero and Protoman from what I remember.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Even back then he was an important guy at Namco in general. You wanted evidence, I gave it to you. Still not believing it?
>That's why we view you as an echo chamber

"I want that character, so he sure as hell was considered despite there being zero evidence at all but I'll still use that imaginary evidence in my arguments as I got nothing more to support my niche pick because I feel so special when I support characters nobody outside my sound-proof bubble knows about" . Also no comment about my actual questions why there is no announcement about Tales of Arise on Switch or why Harada said Tekken characters get more requests for Smash which refutes your main point about Lloyd being a community frontrunner
Again, I asked if you had any evidence he wasn't considered. Do you have that?

TBH you seem to be the one who's in an echo chamber, what with your rabid and unhealthy hatred for Tales and your insistence that "nobody" knows anything about it.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Could be a Danganronpa fighting game (which I'd LOVE to see). realistically tho I think Monokuma would get in Smash as nothing more than a costume. hopefully a premium (Brawler) one with a music track
I do imagine Monokuma is one of the few Visual Novel characters with a remote chance of getting into Smash so I'd like to see him as a fighter. the others being Phoenix Wright and arguably Saber, who I'd be content with too. Though Wright has the largest chance of them all.

But that little tweet there is likely most "hints". Not related to Smash. I'd like Monokuma in Smash but it's not an indicator for or against him.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I do imagine Monokuma is one of the few Visual Novel characters with a remote chance of getting into Smash so I'd like to see him as a fighter. the others being Phoenix Wright and arguably Saber, who I'd be content with too. Though Wright has the largest chance of them all.

But that little tweet there is likely most "hints". Not related to Smash. I'd like Monokuma in Smash but it's not an indicator for or against him.
It is pretty puzzling what it could be for though, since the mainline series has pretty much wrapped up.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
It is pretty puzzling what it could be for though, since the mainline series has pretty much wrapped up.
Pretty much. I want to say maybe the long rumored Switch release or maybe some spin-off. The series may be over but Danganronpa is heavily associated with Spike so you know they'll want to do something with it, even if the main plot is over.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I can respect that. You if haven't already, you can vote on the poll to the thread in my sig. Not too many people voted for Mega Man Volnutt yet. Most votes were for MMX, Zero and Protoman from what I remember.
I'm one of the proud 3 people who voted for a ZX character. *dabs*
What does everyone think of Ryu Hayabusa’s chances?
Hayabusa is one of the characters I'm the most confident in. I would honestly be surprised if he hasn't shown up by the end of DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I agree, DMC isn't bigger than Tekken. But if we speak only about the characters, I don't think considering Dante a bigger character than Heihachi is particularly wrong.

I'll play Danganronpa at some point, it has my interest. Hopefully they will put the games on sale soon on the Vita lol
Which track do you think they would include if Monokuma ends getting the Mii Costume treatment? I have listened some themes from the games and so far I like the soundtrack.
Honestly just make a medley of various tracks from 1, 2, and V3. The three PTA songs from 2 and the Logic Dive theme have to be in there somewhere tho

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hard to say. Part of me wants to say he's pretty likely because he's a really cool character, from a series with solid history, and influence, that while not to the level of Mega Man and Castlevania, is still notable.

On the other hand, while we may talk about him a fair bit, not too many of the FP1 characters were discussed in lengthy amounts except Banjo, and Hero after the Brave files were found. Joker was brought up a couple times, but wasn't taken seriously until it happened. Terry was much in the same way. Hero had fans, but it was mostly Sora's gangbangers making noise. And a new Fire Emblem character was both expected (at some point, though perhaps not Season 1) and dreaded by many, for one reason or another. Pokemon's in a similar boat to FE I think.

For Ryu Hayabusa, he has pretty much everything going for him for a character that'd knock people's socks off. Trailer referencing the NES cutscenes? Check. A Ninja rival in either Sheik or Greninja? Check. Tons of moves to pull from with not 1, not 2 but 3 different series? Check. An Iconic song to use for his trailer? That's what 4-2 is for. TWO iconic designs, that wouldn't change animations much? Check.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Your argument was that SMT and Persona are the same game, even though I pointed out specifically to you that they are seen as different entities even by Atlus themselves.
My argument is that they are more connected than Tales and Tekken.

This is really going nowhere and is way off topic, so bye. Please stop replying to me about this.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Pretty much. I want to say maybe the long rumored Switch release or maybe some spin-off. The series may be over but Danganronpa is heavily associated with Spike so you know they'll want to do something with it, even if the main plot is over.
Everything you mentioned would be pretty sweet, but the spin offs in this series also connected to the overarching plot. (Though maybe you were talking about a fighting game like P4 Arena?) And idk if a simple port would require anymore voice acting.

Again, I honestly have no idea what it could be.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm one of the proud 3 people who voted for a ZX character. *dabs*

Hayabusa is one of the characters I'm the most confident in. I would honestly be surprised if he hasn't shown up by the end of DLC.
If they went with a ZX character, I'd pick Gray, I think he looks the coolest. Obviously he's an expy of Axl, but his whole design is like a combo of the 3 main Maverick Hunters. It helps he plays more like MMX for me too. But I can see them using all 4 like Hero, and having them use attacks from the 7 main Bio-metals.

Either way, it'd be cool.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Again, I asked if you had any evidence he wasn't considered. Do you have that?

TBH you seem to be the one who's in an echo chamber, what with your rabid and unhealthy hatred for Tales and your insistence that "nobody" knows anything about it.
That's the most convoluted way of logic I have ever heard. "Got any evidence that Bubsy 3D wasn't considered for Smash? No? I guess he's in!"
You brought up a claim without basis, so it's your job to find evidence for it, not for me to disprove it.
It only shows me that you do not know how logic or holding an argument works.
And with that my job is done here. You already made a clown of yourself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How can you be a fan of Fate but not understand this?
If this was a Fate character, she'd have a pacifier because she's the Goddess of Babies, and thus has her adult powers sealed by the concept of babies, crystallized into a pacifier that is also her Noble Phantasm which can apply the concept of "Baby" onto others, making her the most powerful Servant in canon for being able to apply it into even a god itself and thus making them powerless.
And also, she'd be to blame for the existence of Baby Nut and that would be an actual plot point.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's the most convoluted way of logic I have ever heard. Got evidence that Bubsy 3D wasn't considered for Smash? No? I guess he's in!
You brought up a claim without basis, so it's your job to find evidence for it, not for me to disprove it.
It only shows me that you do not know how logic or holding an argument works.
And with that my job is done here. You already made a clown of yourself.
Bubsy doesn't have a Mii costume.

You're the one who claimed that Lloyd was never considered. I'm the one who said YOU don't have evidence for that.
Therefore the burden of proof is on you.

D

Deleted member

At this point, we're not really sure where he stands. I had a vague suspicion that he'd be FP 6, if not FP 5, but I think any leak backing Hayabusa is just not reliable anymore. He fundamentally makes sense and would be a cool NES icon. He isn't deconfirmed by spirits either. We just... don't know if he's in anymore.

If this was a Fate character, she'd have a pacifier because she's the Goddess of Babies, and thus has her adult powers sealed by the concept of babies, crystallized into a pacifier that is also her Noble Phantasm which can apply the concept of "Baby" onto others, making her the most powerful Servant in canon for being able to apply it into even a god itself and thus making them powerless.
And also, she'd be to blame for the existence of Baby Nut and that would be an actual plot point.
Again, I'm not seeing how Granblue is anymore confusing right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I know it isn't likely but if Monokuma was a Mii costume, I wish he'd come with the Scrum Debate theme from V3.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There's nothing I love seeing more than a bunch of wannabe badasses arguing over a party game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There's nothing I love seeing more than a bunch of wannabe badasses arguing over a party game.
Apparently there's a whole bunch of Judge accounts on GameFAQS that have quite a nasty reputation of acting extremely obnoxious and toxic towards other characters. It started with one and then spread to other characters too. (For example there used to be a JudgeLloyd in addition to JudgeHeihachi. As well as a JudgeGeno, JudgeReimu, JudgeWaluigi, etc.) A lot of them have the tendency of embarrassing the fanbases of the character in their names and sometimes are even outed as trolls who only wanted to make the fanbase of the character in their name look bad, rather than genuinely wanting the character itself.

Most of them got banned.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Pushdustin is posting a more full translation of the column right now if you're interested.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Fascinating...

It seems so far, Nintendo has gotten every single character they've asked of Sakurai. No character so far has been denied on the basis of a lack of moveset potential. At the very least, we can rule out the "Nintendo provided a list" theory that had been so prevalent.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Fascinating...

It seems so far, Nintendo has gotten every single character they've asked of Sakurai. No character so far has been denied on the basis of a lack of moveset potential. At the very least, we can rule out the "Nintendo provided a list" theory that had been so prevalent.
I feel like we've said that the last 3 times Sakurai has clarified Nintendo chose the characters yet people still stick to it because "WELL SAKURAI LIKES PERSONA AND SNK"

D

Deleted member

Fascinating...

So it all boils down to the fact that both parties agree on it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Fascinating...

so I guess in cases like Rex, Spring Man and Officer Howard, Nintendo just didn't propose them, simple as that, despite Sakurai wanting them (at least the first two as he apologized for them not being playable)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Fascinating...

So as far as we know, Nintendo never offered the man an idea that was so lame he'd be like "That's a no from me dawg." Good to hear. Maybe that'll make a couple people less worried about the choices for season 2 again.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Fascinating...

So Sakurai has to be on board with the character. Yeah, we can mark off Assist Trophy upgrade as not happening. It's not a case of lack of ideas for the character, so if Sakurai doesn't agree with the character then it ain't happen. This is definitely the same process as last time which most likely mean that Nintendo was forcing Byleth in the game, instead Sakurai was full okay with it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I believe the translation is suggesting that a lack of ideas has never been the reason why a character has been rejected.

It's possible there are a few characters Nintendo and Sakurai scrapped because they didn't agree on the way they'd be repped. Sakurai doesn't outright confirm or deny this in the article.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
If we do get a Tekken fighter, I hope it's Kazuya or Jin instead of Heihachi. His story's finished now in the Tekken games and I rather be someone who will be in Tekken 8, barring they bring him back from the dead or a robot version of him.

"Why yes, I spend 5 hours a day speculating on potential character additions to Super Smash Bros, how could you tell?"
Nice to know I'm not the only 4chan hacker on this site.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So as far as we know, Nintendo never offered the man an idea that was so lame he'd be like "That's a no from me dawg." Good to hear. Maybe that'll make a couple people less worried about the choices for season 2 again.
I'm glad that Nintendo is calling the shots since I've enjoyed every DLC character introduced so far (Plant and Banjo didn't exactly wow me but I still think they're fun).

Quite excited to see what we get.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So Sakurai has to be on board with the character. Yeah, we can mark off Assist Trophy upgrade as not happening. It's not a case of lack of ideas for the character, so if Sakurai doesn't agree with the character then it ain't happen. This is definitely the same process as last time which most likely mean that Nintendo was forcing Byleth in the game, instead Sakurai was full okay with it.
ATs aren't always Sakurai's way of saying, "I don't think this character should be playable." I feel like Sakurai looks at ATs as the next best thing to becoming playable, so characters who were just a tad too low priority to make the roster can still have a notable role.

That would explain why characters like Little Mac and Isabelle were orginally ATs, but became playable fighters in the very next entry.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Because Sakurai has never been ok with upgrading Assist Trophies to full characters before?:ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:

I highly doubt that if Nintendo proposed making an Assist Trophy a playable character he would say no. I've been saying this for months now, the question has always been whether or not Nintendo would choose to do that, not anything else.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I believe the translation is suggesting that a lack of ideas has never been the reason why a character has been rejected.

It's possible there are a few characters Nintendo and Sakurai scrapped because they didn't agree on the way they'd be repped. Sakurai doesn't outright confirm or deny this in the article.
Hmm yeah, he doesn't specificy that it has happened, but that it could've happen if an arrangement couldn't be come to in regards to other factors, just that in regards to moveset potential, that hasn't happened yet.

That does raise the question on what Sakurai and Nintendo couldn't agree on if it isn't moveset potential? Assuming it's Nintendo bringing up the ideas, I can't imagine they'd propose companies they couldn't get characters from or would be too expensive/unrealistic to license.

Much to think about...
byleth thinking.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom