• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
The argument actually started when a certain someone called Tales fans deluded and used the Tekken Wii U port as proof of Tekken having more Nintendo history than Tales.

I can't help but notice that when certain gamefaqs users come to this thread it always goes to hell.
“Oh no, GameFAQs bad!!!!!”

Like this echo chamber is any better, lol.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The reality is bandwagoning is a necessary sin. Very few people have the time or monetary means to experience every character directly. As such, you basically need strong argumentation and a word of mouth to convince people to backup a character they otherwise would never even consider.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also, I don't know why people say Waluigi is somehow one of those bandwagons. I've seen way too much genuine support for him since the Brawl days. Call him a meme character, call him Nintendo's **** Dastardly. But by no means is he someone who blew up overnight. And I don't even want Waluigi, I just know the guy's popular. Even in the Mario series people talk about wanting to see Nintendo do more with him and Daisy in particular.

Y'all better believe that if Bomberman ever has a reasonable chance to be a newcomer ever again, I'm forcing you all onto the bandwagon.
If we get Bomberman Hero music, I'll be a shooter for Bomberman.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here you go.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/xenoblade-chronicles-was-a-statement-game-after-xenosaga-tanked

"We released three games in the Xenosaga series, but they weren't very well received. It was really mortifying. All of the young team members felt that way, not just the leaders. So we all decided, 'Next time we need to make a game that players will enjoy.' So that made the atmosphere during the Xenoblade Chronicles development very different compared to other games."

blackghost

Smash Champion
The fan demand about Lloyd is just an echo-chamber thing. Harada himself (for who do not know him the Tekken director and since early 2019 General Manager at Bandai Namco) specifically stated that Tekken characters got way more requests than Tales or Gundam characters:
"The fans, rather than asking about Tales or Gundam or some of our other franchises, the fans abroad saw Tekken as one of the key words and took off on that," he says. "We're not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros., maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn't want, so I've been pulling back on that a bit. But I don't know."
https://www.engadget.com/2012/07/10/harada-pulling-back-on-idea-of-tekken-characters-in-new-smash/
wait the Tekken director said tekken was more popular than tales? in terms of requests??? shocking.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Again, he never used a 10 year old cameo as a reason for why a character is unlikely like you did.

Still waiting for a proper response to my question about Joker btw. Not just “HE DIDNT APPEAR IN PASBR EVEN THOUGH HIS GAME DIDNT EVEN EXIST YET!!!!!!”
Hi, sorry I took a long time, it's just that I actually have something called a life and responsibilities outside of arguing on message boards.

Once again, Joker and Jack Frost are from the same games. Lloyd and Heihachi are not. Therefore, it is a false equivalence.

Are you happy?

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Thank you. That definitely adds a layer to things for KOS-MOS. Heihachi or Lloyd was always going to be chosen before her for another Namco rep anywho. She’d be a neat addition, but Heihachi is wanted by Sakurai (even though Nintendo chose the DLC again.)

I guess will just have to wait and see. I am DREADING the next two years in bittersweet excitement.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The fact we currently know nothing about Nintendo/Sakurai's direction for the DLC this season is something that I simultaneously love/hate. I love it because we know nothing. I hate it because it means putting up with ridiculous online discourse at times.

Though I am of the mind that characters that aren't really talked about much in the core Smash fanbase (here for example) is still going to be a focus this season.
I agree that being in the dark about the upcoming DLC characters is a double-edged sword. On one hand it gives us an opportunity to be surprised by a character we didn't see coming (see: Joker). On the other hand, we don't have much of an idea on what to expect for the second Fighters Pass, especially since these are the last six characters to be added. And of course we don't have much of a hint on which character opens the second Fighters Pass, especially since Nintendo is dropping the hammer on some of the insiders/leakers. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a character who is under the radar and not talked about a whole lot on here (like Terry for example prior to the SNK leak).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And again why are there no plans for Tales of Arise on Switch if Tales is so close to Nintendo? Also lmao at grasping at straws: "you don't even kmow if Lloyd was considered", neither do you as there is no evidence for it.
And you don't have any evidence that he wasn't considered, do you?

But Floyd from Fails of Symphonia? Sure has nothing going for him.
Quick question, are you 5 years old?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So anyways, Support Mega Man X(or a Mega Man of your choice), because it's the most hype platformer series of them all. And you can't tell me songs like Storm Eagle or Armored Armadillo wouldn't be good additions to the soundtrack.

X Buster MMX.gif

And in general, shill for who you actually like, cause that's one of the few ways your voice can actually be heard, just don't be a **** to other people about it.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
wait the Tekken director said tekken was more popular than tales? in terms of requests??? shocking.
And to add to that, what Judge forgot to mention is that comment was from 8 years ago and doesn't say how this was determined. This is important as this was BEFORE the smash ballot, BEFORE Heihachi was rejected, and most importantly, BEFORE Smash 4 was even released.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hi, sorry I took a long time, it's just that I actually have something called a life outside of arguing on message boards.

Once again, Joker and Jack Frost are from the same games. Lloyd and Heihachi are not. Therefore, it is a false equivalence.

Are you happy?
And I already debunked this argument for you my friend.

Atlus has pretty much made the difference between SMT and Persona very clear.

Also, I find it very funny you are resorting to the “DURR HURR U HAVE NO LOIFE” card, when you are still taking time out of your day to debate people who don’t think an argument that has been already debunked matters.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So anyways, Support Mega Man X(or a Mega Man of your choice), because it's the most hype platformer series of them all. And you can't tell me songs like Storm Eagle or Armored Armadillo wouldn't be good additions to the soundtrack.

View attachment 263114

And in general, shill for who you actually like, cause that's one of the few ways your voice can actually be heard, just don't be a **** to other people about it.
I like X. But I prefer Megaman Volnutt. So Legends for me.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And I already debunked this argument for you my friend.

Atlus has pretty much made the difference between SMT and Persona very clear.

Also, I find it very funny you are resorting to the “DURR HURR U HAVE NO LOIFE” card, when you are still taking time out of your to debate people who don’t think an argument that has been already debunked matters.
Saying that you don't like an argument is not debunking it buddy. Jack Frost still appears in Persona. The series are still linked with each other. I really don't even see how whether I think Jack Frost and Joker should get in over each other even has anything to do with the argument to begin with. Your literally just shifting the goal posts to try to "lure" me into an aha moment, which will sadly never come.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reality is bandwagoning is a necessary sin. Very few people have the time or monetary means to experience every character directly. As such, you basically need strong argumentation and a word of mouth to convince people to backup a character they otherwise would never even consider.
Ugh... so I have to write a thesis to jumpstart Meowth & Team Rocket bandwagon. :facepalm:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It was my ranking of how I felt. Of course I have her having a greater chance because I like her more.
But earlier you said:

"But if I had to rank who I think will make it, a tales character is lower on the list."

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
But earlier you said:

"But if I had to rank who I think will make it, a tales character is lower on the list."
Yeah. Who I think will make it.
My opinion.

and fyi. I would like to see Quote and echo Curly. Cave story + on switch was fun, even if it is rather downer near the end.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Saying that you don't like an argument is not debunking it buddy. Jack Frost still appears in Persona. The series are still linked with each other. I really don't even see how whether I think Jack Frost and Joker should get in over each other even has anything to do with the argument to begin with. Your literally just shifting the goal posts to try to "lure" me into an aha moment, which will sadly never come.
Going by that logic, do you think Half Life and Portal are the same game? Because it has been stated that they are technically in the same universe.

Again, universes being linked =/= same game.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why does the character on your icon have a pacifier?
1581492549808.jpg

Short version: It's a Japanese pun.

The character is Helel ben Shalem, from Granblue Fantasy. You know the bad guy from Granblue Fantasy Versus? His name is Beelzebub and is a "clone" of Shalem. In Japanese the last syllables of "Beelzebub" are pronounced "babu" which is an onomatopoeia for baby sounds in Japanese. Even though canonically Shalem is the original, Beelzebub appeared first in the story and so it's likely Shalem was designed afterwards. The object in her mouth, which is supposed to be a seal, was given the form of a pacifier as a joke.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Going by that logic, do you think Half Life and Portal are the same game? Because it has been stated that they are technically in the same universe.

Again, universes being linked =/= same game.
No, but they certainly are far more connected than Tales and Tekken.

And Jack Frost is a Persona character in addition to being a SMT character. Again, it has nothing to do with the previous argument.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To chime in on the Lloyd stuff, while I personally don’t care either way, Sakurai did say “I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?” when answering why he specifically chose him for the Tales of Mii Costume. Though, since Nintendo is choosing the characters, I guess this doesn’t matter much unless they just tell Sakurai “Tales of character” if not Lloyd specifically if they want one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 263116

Short version: It's a Japanese pun.

The character is Helel ben Shalem, from Granblue Fantasy. You know the bad guy from Granblue Fantasy Versus? His name is Beelzebub and is a "clone" of Shalem. In Japanese the last syllables of "Beelzebub" are pronounced "babu" which is an onomatopoeia for baby sounds in Japanese. Even though canonically Shalem is the original, Beelzebub appeared first in the story and so it's likely Shalem was designed afterwards. The object in her mouth, which is supposed to be a seal, was given the form of a pacifier as a joke.
1582148226479.png

perhaps it be wise not to ask questions i do not wish to know the answers for

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
To chime in on the Lloyd stuff, while I personally don’t care either way, Sakurai did say “I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?” when answering why he specifically chose him for the Tales of Mii Costume. Though, since Nintendo is choosing the characters, I guess this doesn’t matter much unless they just tell Sakurai “Tales of character” if they want one.
Also with the For Mii costumes, he said that he didn't know how to implement Heihachi being from a fighting game with depth.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What holds back Heihachi isn’t being arbitrarily cooler than Lloyd (I personally like both characters), but more the gameplay. Sakurai already has struggled with the character in terms of this.

If Ninty comes to him with Heihachi, he could be shot down right then and there if Sakurai doesn’t think he can get him to faithfully work.

Lloyd looks good for being the Tales of pick though, because when it came to the Mii costume itself, Sakurai essentially thought, “Who else but Lloyd?”.

Really no need for the childish insults. Embarrassing really.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
No, but they certainly are far more connected than Tales and Tekken.

And Jack Frost is a Persona character in addition to being a SMT character. Again, it has nothing to do with the previous argument.
Your argument was that SMT and Persona are the same game, even though I pointed out specifically to you that they are seen as different entities even by Atlus themselves.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Even back then he was an important guy at Namco in general. You wanted evidence, I gave it to you. Still not believing it?
>That's why we view you as an echo chamber

And you don't have any evidence that he wasn't considered, do you?

Quick question, are you 5 years old?
"I want that character, so he sure as hell was considered despite there being zero evidence at all but I'll still use that imaginary evidence in my arguments as I got nothing more to support my niche pick because I feel so special when I support characters nobody outside my sound-proof bubble knows about" . Also no comment about my actual questions why there is no announcement about Tales of Arise on Switch or why Harada said Tekken characters get more requests for Smash which refutes your main point about Lloyd being a community frontrunner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom