• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think either of those are fair comparisons.

Chrome's an easy echo and this series has always seemed apprehensive about removing Pokemon who aren't Pichu.
So can you give a fair comparison?

The only time Smash ever replaced a character with another was Toon Link getting in Brawl instead of Young Link and they are pretty much the same character.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Can someone link to the Smash Bros roster pick tier list?
You know the one you guys were talking a few pages ago?
Thanks, I have some free time right now before I make dinner and I want to have a scratch at it

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Dude the last time they tried to do that we got ****ing Bayonetta off of some fishy poll results that likely weren't very accurate.

Was it a bad move? No. Was it a true move? No one knows but probably not.
Honestly, the enormous backlash against a reveal as out-of-left-field and fun as Bayonetta really just proves that the final DLC slot is a magnet for hate. No matter who it is, it COULD'VE been anyone else, and that will always be enough for the vocal minority to thrash out.

I really don't envy #81. Fortunately, they've got a good year and a half to emotionally prep themselves for the avalanche of hate haha

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Even if we do get the so called "another Fire Emblem character lol", who could it be that isn't already in the game? We're likely not getting a new FE anytime soon, so no new character. Would we get it from the rumored remake even though we didn't get from Gaiden/Echoes? Are the ones from Heroes any popular and/or interesting?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have nothing against Fire Emblem ( I’m mearly indifferent to the series ), but I do hope it doesn’t end up being the only "base game represented series" to get a DLC character. There are other already reped series that could use some more characters( like Kirby ).
Xenoblade deserves it the most after the most new “content” they got was Rex’s costume with an apology to boot. Come on, Elma and/or Fiora...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't speak too closely on Cloud, but I do think Hero stands has a fighting chance of coming back. Square Enix and Armor Studio undoubtedly like having Hero in the game, given how closely Yuji Horii worked with Sakurai on making Hero happen and the "Heroes can't fight other heroes" embargo being dropped for Smash.

Likewise, Akira Toriyama is the father of Dragon Ball, one of the most licensed products in the world. I can't see him being too stingy about Hero in Smash.

The issue here is Koichi Sugiyama and the rights to DQ's music. Now, Sugiyama is a pain to deal with, but he's also 88 years old. There's a realistic possibility that Sugiyama will pass away between now and the release of the next Smash game. I don't know who the rights would go to, given I'm not a Japanese attorney, but I'm assuming it'll either go to Square Enix or his estate. Hopefully, either one will be a little more lax with the rights.

Obviously, this isn't trying to celebrate Sugiyama's potential passing or make light of it, but I do feel it's ultimately the contingent factor for whether or not Hero returns and thusly is worth discussing.
From what I understand Hayato Matsuo's the most likely person to inherit the Dragon Quest music rights, who also disagreed with Sugiyama's stance on Midi music

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So Sakurai is saying that Nintendo are the ones picking DLC again and this was really extra without being planned to begin with... yeah it's time to put expectation down super lower. You getting one fan favorite added, a mobile character that's most likely going to be from Fire Emblem Heroes, a Pokemon SwSh which is going to be Cinderace, no Assist Trophy or Mii Costume upgrade, a promotional character, and two third party characters that Sakurai is going to like. Also no Geno or western characters like Doomguy or Scorpion, Japanese developers always make games that cater to Japanese audience so if a character they don't own (third parties) has zero presence to the Japanese audience then expect the only form they're coming in as a Mii Fighter Costume or Spirits. Just like Assassin's Creed and Rayman.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
From what I understand Hayato Matsuo's the most likely person to inherit the Dragon Quest music rights, who also disagreed with Sugiyama's stance on Midi music
Then scratch what I said about Hero earlier.

Already making a it's to make a Backstreet boys meme if they come back.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The fact that there are no plans for more DLC after volume 2 is... non-news. Given the potential release window and just how long these fighters are taking to come out, I can’t see why anyone would think otherwise.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Are Corrin and Byleth remotely interesting? :nifty:
corrin is interesting. corrin has a bunch of tools and a unique playstyle. she's just bad. corrin drew in a playerbase in smash 4 ( a playerbase that was very upset that she was gutted in this game)
byleth was mostly pasted over becuase people think she is bad, i havent seen people say byleth is boring. the opinion that byleth is bad was formed mostly before she even came out. byleth is one of two dlc from FP1 that is believed to be a weak character by the general audience with the second being banjo.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So Sakurai is saying that Nintendo are the ones picking DLC again and this was really extra without being planned to begin with... yeah it's time to put expectation down super lower. You getting one fan favorite added, a mobile character that's most likely going to be from Fire Emblem Heroes, a Pokemon SwSh which is going to be Cinderace, no Assist Trophy or Mii Costume upgrade, a promotional character, and two third party characters that Sakurai is going to like. Also no Geno or western characters like Doomguy or Scorpion, Japanese developers always make games that cater to Japanese audience so if a character they don't own (third parties) has zero presence to the Japanese audience then expect the only form they're coming in as a Mii Fighter Costume or Spirits. Just like Assassin's Creed and Rayman.
I'm still hopeful about Steve as a last Western rep. Minecraft is really big in Japan, Minecraft dungeons is coming soon and I think he could easily be the big hit of the pass (although many people hate him).

osby

Smash Obsessed
The fact that there are no plans for more DLC after volume 2 is... non-news. Given the potential release window and just how long these fighters are taking to come out, I can’t see why anyone would think otherwise.
Why Smash fans think anything? Confirmed until disproven mentality.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm still hopeful about Steve as a last Western rep. Minecraft is really big in Japan, Minecraft dungeons is coming soon and I think he could easily be the big hit of the pass (although many people hate him).
Mii Costume, Steve is going to be a Mii Costume.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Yeah, because everyone loves to see extremely new character that people barely had any time to experience or get to know about them in this series that's all about having establish favorite character crossing over with each other. Keep putting brand new faces who's games are barely out for $6 before anyone even knows if they'll like the character. It work great with Corrin and Byleth, so they're so well loved and the Fire Emblem fans totally enjoy Corrin's character. And we all know that Byleth stands at the top as one of Three Houses favorite character and totally not just a blank page devoid of emotion. :4pacman:
Er...pal. I was talking about enjoying these additions as smash fighters, not necessarily as characters in their own games. I don't even own and am barely familiar with both Fates and Three Houses, but I don't need to be familiar with how they're portrayed in those games to enjoy how fun Corrin and Byleth are to play as in Smash Ultimate. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty funny. You are acting like a mobile character is precedented when it isn’t. Tonnes of other stuff but I can’t be asked to point it out and attempt to take it all seriously. Either way pretty lol

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
It should be no surprise that Volume 2 is potentially the last bit of DLC we'll get for Smash. At the same time though, it's not 100% definitive and it wouldn't be surprise me if it either is the last DLC or we get another Volume of DLC, depending how things go.

For now, best to treat it as the last bit and if we get more, then yay. If not then we had a good DLC cycle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry Rie but anyone who says 'X franchise deserves more representation' gets a paddling unless they mean Final Fantasy
Square Enix: lol good luck with that :secretkpop:

do think IF Cloud does return next game though that they MIGHT actually give FF more content. Might.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Square Enix: lol good luck with that :secretkpop:

do think IF Cloud does return next game though that they MIGHT actually give FF more content. Might.
Hero already shows that they're willing to put effort in it and Sakurai's said that in Square was VERY co-operative for Hero and has said Nomura gave him more creative freedom with Cloud when compared to other third parties

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mii Costume, Steve is going to be a Mii Costume.
Unless you can provide proof as to why without diving into your personal opinions and without ignoring that Steve has support from Japanese fans, Minecraft is very big in Japan (matching what you said Western 3rd-parties need to get in), and Sakurai and Nintendo like the game with even BotW taking some inspiration from it among other games, stop pushing the Mii costume as a fact even if it very well may happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i havent seen people say byleth is boring
byleth is boring because he's a blank slate

you're just there to be there, the other house leaders serve the role as main lord of the game, so it balances out.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Unless you can provide proof as to why without diving into your personal opinions and without ignoring that Steve has support from Japanese fans, Minecraft is very big in Japan (matching what you said Western 3rd-parties need to get in), and Sakurai and Nintendo like the game with even BotW taking some inspiration from it among other games, stop pushing the Mii costume as a fact even if it very well may happen.
No he can’t. Wynn is just another one of those people in the community who view their opinion as fact and try to pass it off as such because they want other people to believe what they are saying is completely correct despite that definitely not being the case.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
SwSh Pokémon (To promote upcoming DLC)
Euden
Heihachi, KOS-MOS, or Lloyd (Japanese; Namco too.)
Sora
Ryu Hayabusa or Akira (Sakurai Pick)
Travis Touchdown (Sakurai Pick 2)

I could see any of these making it. Even Monster Hunter, Paper Mario, 2B, Ring Fit Adventurer, or some other character from an upcoming game that we don’t know about yet, but Sakurai does...for promotion.

Just my thoughts.
“Paper Mario is deconfirmed, he’s a spirit.” Yeah, that’s nice. I don’t believe that Spirits outright deconfirm characters. Especially from a 1st Party standpoint. Also, there’s plenty to work with in regards to a Paper Mario DLC spirit event. With the rumor of a new game that’s a return to form, I think it’s possible.

Edit: Just remembered Astral Chain had a spirit event. Maybe not Akira, but still a possibility. Hell if I know.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do think it's time Sakurai steps away from Smash.

Guy is probably sick of the franchise to say the least and the set up they got going on now where Nintendo is choosing the characters, Sakurai is making the Moveset ideas, and Namco's team is developing it sets it up to where another Director can step up to the plate. Sakurai is known for creating each individual characters moveset but it's time for there to be more input from the team. This set up that Nintendo has going is an easy way to carry on without Sakurai in an inevitable "Ultimate Deluxe" without stepping on what Sakurai has done so far.

Man, will finally have his first break from Smash since 2012.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do think it's time Sakurai steps away from Smash.

Guy is probably sick of the franchise to say the least and the set up they got going on now where Nintendo is choosing the characters, Sakurai is making the Moveset ideas, and Namco's team is developing it sets it up to where another Director can step up to the plate. Sakurai is known for creating each individual characters moveset but it's time for there to be more input from the team. This set up that Nintendo has going is an easy way to carry on without Sakurai in an inevitable "Ultimate Deluxe" without stepping on what Sakurai has done so far.

Man, will finally have his first break from Smash since 2012.
Hm, but that makes me think, who would be a good new director for Smash Bros.? Would their choices be more fan-oriented or corporate? So many possibilities and you know how people are with the concept of a new director.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sweet, already 10/10 DLC for me.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This is pretty funny. You are acting like a mobile character is precedented when it isn’t. Tonnes of other stuff but I can’t be asked to point it out and attempt to take it all seriously. Either way pretty lol
Nintendo has been making it big in the mobile market, especially with Fire Emblem Heroes making $285 million, so they're going to want their mobile games to be present in Smash Bros, especially with this being the last DLC added to Smash Bros. It's either FE Heroes or Dragalia Lost.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I don't actually think this sounds that bad. so:
Fan Favorite that isn't Geno (Crash or Sora)
Mobile character probably from Cygames or Dragalia lost
Pokemon character (Has a lot of options)
Promotional Character (Maybe Rex/Pyra or Something of that sort)
2 Third party characters (lots of great choices)
This pass actually sounds fine, would definetly have high highs and low lows though.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hm, but that makes me think, who would be a good new director for Smash Bros.? Would their choices be more fan-oriented or corporate? So many possibilities and you know how people are with the concept of a new director.

I can see the problem with getting a new director, the quality will probably drop a bit.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can see the problem with getting a new director, the quality will probably drop a bit.
Is there even a way to predict who the director might be? Will it be someone who just climbed the corporate ladder? Is there anyone else who's so passionate about Smash that they'd direct it?

Nintendo has been making it big in the mobile market, especially with Fire Emblem Heroes making $285 million, so they're going to want their mobile games to be present in Smash Bros, especially with this being the last DLC added to Smash Bros. It's either FE Heroes or Dragalia Lost.
You either get:

A. People rioting on the streets cause a ************ Fire Emblem icky gross anime swordsman named FJORM got in the game
B. Shulk's half-brother literal who is now in the game

Or you can get:

C. The Chad Travis Touchdown

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to wait for a complete translation of the article before I really take a look at it, but a few notes.

1) I've noticed a comment or two more or less saying wanting "new series" for the sake of "new series" is "bad", but then the same folks making those points follow that with, "I hope they add a first party" which is essentially just "Nintendo" for the sake of "Nintendo". So I'm not actually going to give that idea any weight.

2) With Nintendo choosing the characters (which we knew), this is more of the same. We know Nintendo also picked the first pass. Based on that, I still do not believe that there's going to be this dynamic shift where we get more than 1 (maybe 2) 1st parties, and in a position where those Nintendo characters are something other than advertisement picks similar to Corrin or Byleth (Though I do not believe we'd get another Fire Emblem character).

3) As this is being propped up to be "it" for Ultimate, I have to believe that Nintendo wants at least some of these picks to be big. Or at least, a few of them. DLC has shown to be a powerful business tool, developing relationships for Nintendo as well as bringing some larger series to Nintendo as a result.

That said, I believe if Nintendo is in charge, at least at this point, certain characters are going to have a tougher time being chosen. If it were solely Sakurai making the picks, I'd say certain things have a better chance. With Nintendo specifically making the picks though, I'm not so sure.

4) We also don't actually have a "definitive" timing for when the Season 2 was planned and/or picked. For all we know (I could be wrong) this season was planned out from the beginning, and these picks have been in the works for some time now

This matters why? That changes the discourse entirely. It rules out far newer picks, it could rule out upgrades of any form....though, that would also assume that they "masterminded" the entire process which I'm also not entirely willing to believe.

It's still pretty early but the article is pretty interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I think the developers in charge of the new Kirby games could do a good job on making a new Super Smash Bros game. Kirby Star Allies did a great job in giving the game lots of fan service.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You say that Spirits deconfirm, but you think that Gen 8 is still happening.

Lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah, Nintendo and Bamco both have plenty of talented folks working for them, I could easily see someone be able to step up and keep the same amount of quality.
That's the big question I've been asking that no one is answering.

I think the developers in charge of the new Kirby games could do a good job on making a new Super Smash Bros game. Kirby Star Allies did a great job in giving the game lots of fan service.
The moment people start dropping names is when I'll become curious. What about fighting game veteran developers?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Sure sure. As long as you view it as your opinion and nothing more. I’m not going to contest with someone else’s opinion but if they pass it off as fact someone would probably need to intervene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom