• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Can't wait to not watch the direct until later after it airs because I don't want to wake up at 6 AM for it on a Thursday.

That aside, I wonder what they'll talk about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't wait to not watch the direct until later after it airs because I don't want to wake up at 6 AM for it on a Thursday.

That aside, I wonder what they'll talk about.
Eh, mostly additional gameplay stuff, some content, etc.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Well, no disconfirmation from Spirits this week.

Just basically have to wait for that Famitsu column to leak, and while I don't expect disconfirmations of any kind, I do feel as though there may be something that'll be worth talking about with it.

We can only hope!
I'm ready to watch people debate some minute detail in the article for the next few months.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Is it me, or are Smash youtubers copying each other? Everytime I see a video from one person about a particular topic, I see a video from another person about the same topic shortly after.

For example, a video from MockRock called "The Worst of EVERY Smash Ultimate Move" came out a little while ago, then shortly after a from PJiggles called "Every Character's WORST Move!" comes out. Another example is how Alpharad has been playing Rivals of Aether using custom characters, and now ZeRo is doing the same.

So are these all just coincidences? Are youtubers copying each other? Or maybe they're just being inspired by each other? I've seen this type of stuff happen quite often, so I'm curious as to what's going on.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is it me, or are Smash youtubers copying each other? Everytime I see a video from one person about a particular topic, I see a video from another person about the same topic shortly after.

For example, a video from MockRock called "The Worst of EVERY Smash Ultimate Move" came out a little while ago, then shortly after a from PJiggles called "Every Character's WORST Move!" comes out. Another example is how Alpharad has been playing Rivals of Aether using custom characters, and now ZeRo is doing the same.

So are these all just coincidences? Are youtubers copying each other? Or maybe they're just being inspired by each other? I've seen this type of stuff happen quite often, so I'm curious as to what's going on.
I don't follow too many Smash Youtubers (or Youtubers in general - I really need to expand my horizons in that regard), but it could just be a coincidence. (Alpharad's used custom characters for Rivals of Aether for a while now, by my understanding, and I'm pretty sure it's built into the PC version). Alternatively, with list videos, maybe one Youtuber saw a video by another one, disagreed with it, and decided to put out their own? I don't know.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Turns out that Zippo and Emily were right about the Animal Crossing Direct
Maybe we'll get a general Direct next week and maybe a character reveal by then?
I'll watch this direct even though I never played any of Animal Crossing games.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So I just found out about this recently announced direct, but it looks like it’s gonna be focusing on Animal Crossing. Is that true?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

So you noticed it too. I've been tracking this phenomenon for quite a while now and I've found a few clues. Notice how each title is basically the same, but with a different word incorrectly capitalized. I fear it will not stop until each word capitalization combination has been used. If this is left unchecked the titles may start to appear in all capitals, causing destruction all across the internet.

Jokes aside though, it's probably a mix of all three.

Add this to the list of crossovers that'll never happen.
Oh. My. Goodness!

I don't play Animal Crossing. I probably won't ever play Animal Crossing. But I want this to be an official thing. Now!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The unfortunate reality is that Pokémon crossing over with pretty much any other Nintendo property will never happen (not counting Smash, of course). Shame, because there's so much potential for Pokémon crossovers.
I wish Amiibo were used to unlock more crossover content. Like, scanning a Fox Amiibo into Xenoblade Chronicles X unlocks him as a playable character, scanning an Roy Amiibo into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gives Link the Sword of Seals, scanning Link into Fire Emblem: Three Houses unlocks him as a playable character, etc.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Add this to the list of crossovers that'll never happen.

View attachment 263010
The unfortunate reality is that Pokémon crossing over with pretty much any other Nintendo property will never happen (not counting Smash, of course). Shame, because there's so much potential for Pokémon crossovers.
Yup, the most glaring examples of this are with the Amiibo content, with the Pokemon Amiibo actually being more restricted than the 3rd Party figures (Pokemon being the only Smash Bros characters not to have custom sound effects in their Mario Maker 1 costumes and not having costumes at all in Yoshi's Wooly World when even Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man had them).

D

Deleted member

I wish Amiibo were used to unlock crossover content. Like, scanning a Fox Amiibo into Xenoblade Chronicles X unlocks him as a playable character, scanning an Roy Amiibo into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gives Link the Sword of Seals, scanning Link into Fire Emblem: Three Houses unlocks him as a playable character, etc.
Well, Alpharad scanned the DK amiibo on Fire Emblem Warriors and got an Iron Lance. It may not be a full on crossover, but it is something alright.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, Alpharad scanned the DK amiibo on Fire Emblem Warriors and got an Iron Lance. It may not be a full on crossover, but it is something alright.
As far as I know, every game with Amiibo support has a generic thing that happens if the Amiibo isn't one of the special ones for that game like the iron weapons in Fire Emblem Warriors and the Amiibo Costume in Yoshi's Woolly World. It pretty much just means that if you have an Amiibo, and the game supports Amiibo, you should be able to get at least something out of the feature.

EDIT: I believe Kirby Planet Robobot gives you a random copy ability for any Amiibo that don't give you a specific one.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Yup, the most glaring examples of this are with the Amiibo content, with the Pokemon Amiibo actually being more restricted than the 3rd Party figures (Pokemon being the only Smash Bros characters not to have custom sound effects in their Mario Maker 1 costumes and not having costumes at all in Yoshi's Wooly World when even Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man had them).
There actually are a few other crossovers, such as:

- Game Boy Camera, which featured both Mario and Pokemon stamps
- Donkey Konga, which had the original Pokémon anime theme as an available song
- Nintendo Badge Arcade, which featured numerous Pokémon badges
- The Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur costumes in Mario Maker 1 that were released later; unlike the base game ones, these ones did have sound effects
- The Pokemon themed Splatfest in Splatoon 1

Still, it is quite a bit less common for them to do these.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I find it bizarre how Pokémon, a franchise Nintendo partially owns, is more restrictive with it's crossover content than freaking Sonic and Mega Man, completely 3rd party brands.

I remember the disappointment of the Pokemon in Mario Maker having no sound effects from their own game, meanwhie most 4rd party characters did. This Pokémon situation is very strange indeed.

Krankees

Smash Ace

I once found a video where a youtuber and his friend to face each other in dittos while doing a challenge. Such as a Banjo & Kazooie ditto but neither player can use moves that involve Kazooie or a Ness ditto but with no PSI moves. It was such an interesting concept, I'm surprised no one else has done it.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I once found a video where a youtuber and his friend to face each other in dittos while doing a challenge. Such as a Banjo & Kazooie ditto but neither player can use moves that involve Kazooie or a Ness ditto but with no PSI moves. It was such an interesting concept, I'm surprised no one else has done it.
That sounds really fun actually. I would definitely try challenges like that if I had someone to do them with.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Man the 2000's really need some love.

Dark Samus is it for SSBU. Hell, 4 had more 2000 reps.
IIRC Smash 4 had 5 reps from 2000-2009. Villager, Bowser Jr, Mii, Rosalina and Bayonetta. Shulk barely misses by Xenoblade being a 2010 game in Japan.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pokemon being the only Smash Bros characters not to have custom sound effects in their Mario Maker 1 costumes a
Oddly enough, the Pokemon costumes released for the 20th anniversary course do have custom sounds.

D

Deleted member

No Smash news is whatever, but the absolute dearth of any Nintendo titles for the rest of the year is horrible. Like, they really think Fire Emblem alone was going to carry all of February with its puny DLC?
Yes, yes they did. Hence why they started off making a quick buck out of fanboys by readvertising themselves in the so-called "crossover game".
I don't even fw AC, I got better stuff to wait for

Last edited by a moderator:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
If there is no smash in the Animal Crossing direct me thinks there will be lots of "where is smash?" in the live comments. :4kirby:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If there is no smash in the Animal Crossing direct me thinks there will be lots of "where is smash?" in the live comments. :4kirby:
Pretty sure that's the meme... it's used everywhere. For ****s sake it was in the last State of Play's comments.

"What no Smash?" Is a meme.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay, Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna , I'm finally home, so here you go.
SmashTemplate.png SmashTemplate2.png
Click them for Full Size.
The font I use that is either exactly what is used in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or very similar to it is FOT-RodinBokutoh Pro UB

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hopped on the DLC tier list making bandwagon and this what I came up with.

index.png

Lloyd, Luke and Yuri are grouped under Tales rep. Too bad it doesn't Velvet as she would be on there.

andree123

Smash Ace
New tournament, called it. Characters from the 90’s like Cloud (1997), Pokémon (1996 I think), pretty sure Captain Falcon is there too (1990)
We have a 1980s tournament. I think that the 2000s tournament will tie-in with challenger pack 6 but this sounds less likely to you guys, but it also depends if the next DLC fighter would be from the 2000s.
EDIT: The 2000s tournament may happen without tying in with a DLC fighter.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
We have a 1980s tournament. I think that the 2000s tournament will tie-in with challenger pack 6 but this sounds less likely to you guys, but it also depends if the next DLC fighter would be from the 2000s.
If the first two ones didn't have anything to do with DLC fighters, why would a 2000s one be?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I find it bizarre how Pokémon, a franchise Nintendo partially owns, is more restrictive with it's crossover content than freaking Sonic and Mega Man, completely 3rd party brands.

I remember the disappointment of the Pokemon in Mario Maker having no sound effects from their own game, meanwhie most 4rd party characters did. This Pokémon situation is very strange indeed.
Since Pokemon is co-owned by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, I imagine the legal rights make it more difficult to work with. Then we have The Pokémon Company that manages the IP and it’s merchandise, adding in another layer of management that you have to go through with if you want to work with Pokémon.

Working with multiple owners and the overprotective The Pokemon Company probably makes crossovers hellish to manage. I think we really need to appreciate how lucky we are with Pokémon content in Smash, it’s the most cooperative TPC ever is.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Might as well make a new DLC tier list, haven't made one in about a year.

I really only put on characters I considered actually feasable to show up at this point, obviously I think Gordon or Heavy have like a .001% chance but I can still see it happening. For the record, just consider the last tier "blatant shill pick only here to promote one specific new game, not even a new franchise, that is chosen before their game is even out yet and of course that means Fire Emblem or Pokemon", really any indie characters, and those last 3 specifically.

I'm fine with pretty much anyone getting in aside from them but I guess the main 3 things I want in a Smash newcomer at this point are
  1. General iconicness or relevance. You represent an entire company, genre, game series, or are an outright face of the industry itself. Gaming icon.
  2. Your franchise or company has a strong tie to Nintendo
  3. People really want you in Smash
You check any of these boxes and I'll probably be cool with you showing up. Probably why I'm so cool with Sora, I don't like him at all but I can't deny he'd make people super happy and deserves to be in.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom