• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
*implying that Phoenix Wright with a fighting game moveset is somehow not "realizable"*
This video would like a word with you...
And why Sakurai's statement couldn't speak any louder.

"Its more important for an character to be fun then recognizable".

Wright is also recognizable too. Remember how everyone thought Resident Evil was gonna get an rep? The same could happen to Devil May Cry as well.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, the only two events we've had for games that were not Published by Nintendo have been Resident Evil and Kunio, and even then, Capcom has spent the last year chucking RE titles on Switch and the event happened only a month after 5+6 were thrown on the Eshop, and for Kunio they just announced the giant collection is coming to Switch outside of Japan soon. I could be wrong on this but I expect any third party spirit events to still somewhat coincide with Switch releases, I guess we just have to see what the next ones will be.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
February: Sonic the Hedgehog, My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising
March: Bloodshot, My Spy, Spawn releasing, Kombat Pack 2, Possibility Nintendo Direct and FP6
April: My birthday, Antlers, Maybe FP6
May: Scoob!, Fast & Furious 9
June: Finally moving into my own place, E3 and FP7
July: Free Guy
August: Bill & Ted Face the Music, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
September: Maybe FP8
October: Maybe FP8
November: Godzilla vs. Kong, Maybe FP8
December: Maybe FP8

Plenty of things to look forward to this year besides Smash DLC.
Not sure why people consider Tuesdays a make or break day for Direct announcements.

We have gotten plenty of Thursday Directs announced on Wednesday, you know.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
*implying that Phoenix Wright with a fighting game moveset is somehow not "realizable"*
This video would like a word with you...
What if Sakurai decides not to go with that moveset? It's not exactly the most true to the source material as most of the moves are improvised for that game. As far as we've seen, most of if not all third party characters shown so far are as true to their source as they possibly can be.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What if Sakurai decides not to go with that moveset? It's not exactly the most true to the source material as most of the moves are improvised for that game. As far as we've seen, most of if not all third party characters shown so far are as true to their source as they possibly can be.

Phoenix Wright is also recognizable and he likes fun, unique and wacky characters which Wright fits.

Besides its not like Wright would have the same problem as Heihachi. Just take his fight style and moveset from the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Phoenix Wright is also recognizable and he likes fun, unique and wacky characters which Wright fits.

Besides its not like Wright would have the same problem as Heihachi. Just take his fight style and moveset from the Marvel vs. Capcom series.
I don't think Sakurai would 'copy' his moveset from MvC. He for sure would borrow some moves or ideas, but not much than that.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
SNEKeater SNEKeater already said it best...
I don't think Sakurai would 'copy' his moveset from MvC. He for sure would borrow some moves or ideas, but not much than that.

Krankees

Smash Ace

I actually think it shouldn't be like that. He should have a new moveset that fits smash better but that's easier said than done. Thankfully, a few people have done it and even the fan game Super Smash Bros crusade came up with something though it isn't perfect. It could take some inspiration from Marvel though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just because again.

Wishlist/Dream Picks:
2B
Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright
Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Elma
Nightmare

Predictions:
2B
Crash Bandicoot
Heihachi
Phoenix Wright
Ring Fit Adventurer
Travis Touchdown

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
> Y'all saying Dante wouldn't be a fun character to play as

Dante is a character oozing with fun moveset potential, what with DMC3 having 6 different styles to switch from and Dante having an absolutely ridiculous number of weapons to draw from (including a motorcycle chainsaw for DMCV Dante).

Unless Sakurai can't find a way to incorporate the style change and weapon change systems, I honestly believe he'd go for Dante over Phoenix if we're talking solely about moveset. Don't count the funny pizza man out so fast.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
At the very least I can see them doing a Joker style tease with no gameplay, just saying “hey here’s your next character, stay tuned for more info”
I can see that happening too. The first character is either gonna be a showstopper, or a character with a play style so unbelievably amazing the majority are gonna flip. Either way, they're gonna have to reveal something (anything) soon if they want people to really shell out for the pass.
"Mayor, please do your taxes. Put the fishing pole down and finishes your taxes"
Oh he'll put the fishing poles down, but it's not to do taxes...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That said I wouldn't mind Dante I just prefer Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright regarding another Capcom rep. Still be excited to see Dante if he's the on chosen given his weapons and abilities in his games that could be used in his moveset.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So I'm guessing no Direct this week?

They usually announce it on a Tuesday right?
No, they've announced them the day before they happen. March 2018, September 2018, February 2019, and Septmeber 2019 were all announced the day before. Now that I think about it that's literally every major direct for the last two years, so take that what you will.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It would be a very bad idea to wait until E3 to reveal FP6.
Like I stated before it really wouldn’t. Although people may lose interest in the game, they will be roped into it if it’s a character they care about. If not they won’t buy it. It doesn’t matter when it’ll be revealed, If someone wanted Crash and he was announced they wouldn’t not buy him just to spite Nintendo for making them wait too long. If it’s a character they don’t care about they won’t buy it whether they are interested in the game and playing or not. You don’t provide reasoning for what you are saying you just drop the message in which makes it look like you are saying it because you want it to be announced sooner.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Sure but no one is arguing that he isn't recognisable or couldn't be fun. What I'm saying is that Phoenix could face some problems. He isn't shown to do much in the games because they mostly show the game from his perspective and due the nature of visual novels, there isn't much in the way of knowing how he'd move around.

If it was that easy then we would have seen Heihachi by now. By your logic Sakurai could have just given Heihachi his PlayStation Allstars or Street Fighter x Tekken moveset but he didn't.

SNEKeater SNEKeater already said it best...
Sure but then there isn't much to go by from the games themselves since the gameplay mostly involves static images and barely much movement from Phoenix himself.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Random question: If you had to pick 3 playable characters and make them Assist Trophies instead, who would you pick? Substitute AT for Pokeball for the Pokemon if you pick one of them. And excluding Little Mac and Isabelle since they already were ATs and made the jump

pinshadow

Smash Lord
> Y'all saying Dante wouldn't be a fun character to play as

Dante is a character oozing with fun moveset potential, what with DMC3 having 6 different styles to switch from and Dante having an absolutely ridiculous number of weapons to draw from (including a motorcycle chainsaw for DMCV Dante).

Unless Sakurai can't find a way to incorporate the style change and weapon change systems, I honestly believe he'd go for Dante over Phoenix if we're talking solely about moveset. Don't count the funny pizza man out so fast.
As someone who thinks Dante is very likely for the next pass I'm scared as hell because Bayonetta with a sword is the most disgusting thing I can possibly imagine.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sure but no one is arguing that he isn't recognisable or couldn't be fun. What I'm saying is that Phoenix could face some problems. He isn't shown to do much in the games because they mostly show the game from his perspective and due the nature of visual novels, there isn't much in the way of knowing how he'd move around.
:ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Just saying.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Like I stated before it really wouldn’t. Although people may lose interest in the game, they will be roped into it if it’s a character they care about. If not they won’t buy it. It doesn’t matter when it’ll be revealed, If someone wanted Crash and he was announced they wouldn’t not buy him just to spite Nintendo for making them wait too long. If it’s a character they don’t care about they won’t buy it whether they are interested in the game and playing or not. You don’t provide reasoning for what you are saying you just drop the message in which makes it look like you are saying it because you want it to be announced sooner.
It would be bad for those who bought the whole pass early because they would be forced wait 5 and a half months to see if their purchase was worth it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
PushDustIn's translation is accurate.
But remember, Sakurai said only few more to come for FP2 before Byleth direct then we got 6. So I don't know.
Thanks for confirming that. I know you've got a bit of a reputation for translating things like this, and I've always appreciated your additional takes on things like this. Is there any nuance to the time verbiage that Sakurai uses or anything special about the specific word choice, like if it just doesn't translate to English particularly well, or is it just a super straightforward word? Sorry, I really like translation stuff...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It would be bad for those who bought the whole pass early because they would be forced wait 5 and a half months to see if their purchase was worth it.
This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Not making good business decisions is their modus operandi.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't know if any Phoenix fan counted him out. He's been their number one fear right now for Phoenix's chances.
Meh I'm in no fear. Wright and anyone else I want at this point is just icing on cake. Won't complain if Dante gets in over him as I think the former is still a cool character not minding his inclusion.

TBH I am expecting Dante but I'm taking the risk and predicting Wright because of how much I want him and some of the things leaning in his favor that could get him in instead.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Maybe they shouldn't have bought a ****ing mystery box then :laugh:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
But does Nintendo care... that is straw grasping at best. Nintendo’s only priority is if they buy the pass. They will reveal the character when they need to. This just seems like you shifted argument because you realised the other one didn’t hold up well and also Sakurai has constantly stated to buy it if you are confident in the purchase of it time and time again

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know if any Phoenix fan counted him out. He's been their number one fear right now for Phoenix's chances.
If that's the case, then people are discounting him because of it, which shouldn't happen. Like, at least be honest to yourselves about your character's chances. It's what I do with Sora, and look at how I've turned out!

SoraHurt(2).jpg

D

Deleted member

As someone who thinks Dante is very likely for the next pass I'm scared as hell because Bayonetta with a sword is the most disgusting thing I can possibly imagine.
You're an idiot if you think Dante is Sword Bayonetta, So... shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Also, while it's true that Resident Evil got spirited, that doesn't mean every "big" franchise will receive the same treatment in favour of characters that could be viewed as the underdog.

I want Phoenix, but that reminds me of the infamous "not just recognizable" quote, where some people used it as it being recognizable isn't important at all.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Sure but then there isn't much to go by from the games themselves since the gameplay mostly involves static images and barely much movement from Phoenix himself.
Most of Phoenix Wright's moveset in UMVC3 is based on those "static images and barely much movement". Sure, some of its made up, such as slipping on a banana peel and firing energy projectiles from evidence... but damaging the opponent by reading a paper to them, investigating the ground for evidence, presenting said evidence and discarding it, sneezing, having Maya and Missile assist him, the Nightmare Judge, and nailing the "culprit" with incriminating evidence and a shout of "TAKE THAT!"? That's all based on things he does in the games. If Marvel vs. Capcom could squeeze a Phoenix Wright moveset out of all that, I've no doubt the Smash developers could do the same.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think these things of “How could Nintendo wait so long” are things Nintendo has actively considered when setting up the release dates of their products.

It’s not as if this company sat there and said, “Eh...who cares if we lose sales? They can wait!” I would say they very likely considered a number of different options.

Then again, I’ve never really been a fan of the doom and gloom talk as if they NEED to reveal a character or else it’s “doomsday”.

It’ll be fine. Just have patience. Character 6 will be here before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom