• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Picking something other than their debut games kind of defeats the purpose. If we could pick things like this, then pretty much EVERY year would have a character.
That wasn't specified in the original post, but I suppose it would add an extra wrinkle to the game. I may go back and change it later to reflect said requirement.

Edit: Nevermind, I realized my assumption was wrong. Carry on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can tell Mandy is making safe guesses & piggybacking
-no botw 2 & mk11 will be there that’s an easy guess
-no smash at game awards was mostly from Jon’s no smash joke tweet
-he didn’t know about the terry presentation that’s a red flag there
-how dose he even know the direct date that early
-and don’t forget he was making fun of sabi & vegre

don’t get me wrong crash is one of my predictions but I just don’t like the idea people trusting a rando that came out of nowhere

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Anyway, here is a fun game: smash has games that span from 1980 to 2020. Ignoring skins, 1988, 1995, 2000, 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2018 are not represented by a fighter.

Who would you pick to fill each year?
  • 1988 - Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • 1995 - Kamek (Yoshi's Island)
  • 2000 - Waluigi (Mario Tennis)
  • 2008 - de Blob
  • 2011 - Dragonborn (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)
  • 2014 - Shay Cormac (Assassin's Creed: Rogue)
  • 2018 - G (Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition)

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
You can tell Mandy is making safe guesses & piggybacking
-no botw 2 & mk11 will be there that’s an easy guess
-no smash at game awards was mostly from Jon’s no smash joke tweet
-he didn’t know about the terry presentation that’s a red flag there
-how dose he even know the direct date that early

don’t get me wrong crash is one of my predictions but I just don’t like the idea people trusting a rando that came out of nowhere
I said this yesterday but no one is trusting him or her or it. People are discussing it but what the Smash community needs to learn is there is a world of difference between trusting and discussing.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
More and more Direct level announcements keep happening without a Direct: Saints Row IV is coming to Switch.

Yeaaaaaah we're waiting 'till March, huh.
I wish they had already gone and ported that or SR2 to the Switch instead of Saints Row the Tur-I mean Third.

D

Deleted member

I said this yesterday but no one is trusting him or her or it. People are discussing it but what the Smash community needs to learn is there is a world of difference between trusting and discussing.
What do you mean?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
More and more Direct level announcements keep happening without a Direct: Saints Row IV is coming to Switch.

Yeaaaaaah we're waiting 'till March, huh.
I don't think Saints Row: The Third was announced in a Direct, so I doubt IV coming out of nowhere means anything.

Also as an aside: Hell yeah! More Saints Row games on Switch!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Source? Because that's definitely a red flag. I've noticed that leaks that start off by throwing insults at notable leakers are, as far as I know, fake. They rely on getting an audience by appealing to those who dislike said leakers for one reason or another. A notable example is the profanity-ridden Chadondorf one that I cannot post for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Source? Because that's definitely a red flag. I've noticed that leaks that start off by throwing insults at notable leakers are, as far as I know, fake. They rely on getting an audience by appealing to those who dislike said leakers for one reason or another. A notable example is the profanity-ridden Chadondorf one that I cannot post for obvious reasons.
MandyCan’s location is “Vergeben sucks.”

edit: er, well, it was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

his location said verge sucks
Also this
There was a problem fetching the tweet
and for sabi
There was a problem fetching the tweet

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, Three Houses does count as a new world to Smash in that none of its content in any fashion was in Smash and besides the obvious veterans in Smash 4 DLC, every single planned DLC fighter has had the new world mentality. Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry all brought in brand new worlds full stop to Smash. Corrin and Byleth brought in brand new games with entirely new content in their additions, and Corrin was also always considered a more direct promotional tool by everyone involved as the spot was specifically reserved for an upcoming Nintendo title.

Piranha Plant was a bonus at best and wasn't really intended as DLC despite being the only one to break that pattern.

I don't think new worlds has to exclusively apply to brand new franchises in Smash, but 9 unique newcomer DLCs deep, it does seem to be an overwhelming focus of Sakurai's to add bigger and "new to Smash" worlds and gameplay opportunities. Sure, the translation wasn't exactly correct, but we also have a body of evidence in the rest of the DLC to indicate what Sakurai is focusing on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Basically this happened:

"Man, I'm tired of people who support cartoony characters like Banjo or Geno calling everyone else an Anime Swordsman."
"Let's just take the higher road and ignore it."
"No, let's invent a new buzzword so we can engage in the exact same behaviour we were decrying, but it's okay because they started it!"
It's so damn toxic, but after being with this community for so long, I just find it extremely funny.

My most wanted are Dixie and Isaac btw. A cereal box figure and a anime swordsman lol

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
At this point I have just accept that every newcomer will not please some part of the fanbase. Not relevant enough, it's relevant so it's shill pick, too much cartoon, too much anime, to much realistic, too much sword fighter, too much gun user, too much human, this character can't fight in his game, this character can fight in his game so he's not original. I've heard and read them all, it's not even a joke post.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
At this point I have just accept that every newcomer will not please some part of the fanbase. Not relevant enough, it's relevant so it's shill pick, too much cartoon, too much anime, to much realistic, too much sword fighter, too much gun user, too much human, this character can't fight in his game, this character can fight in his game so he's not original. I've heard and read them all, it's not even a joke post.
That’s the way to go

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Almost every character is gonna get hit with like ten paragraph posts on why they're a "Bad" inclusion, people going "Literally who", and people thinking their mere existence in the roster is "Pandering to the wrong crowd" or "Wasted a slot".

And yeah, I've seen all of those happen.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ah, fighting over Fire Emblem.

Anyway, here is a fun game: smash has games that span from 1980 to 2020. Ignoring skins, 1988, 1995, 2000, 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2018 are not represented by a fighter.

1988 - Ryu Hayabusa
1995 - Dixie Kong
2000 - Vivi
2008 - Nero
2011 - Adam Jensen
2014 - Shovel Knight
2018 - Kassandra/Alexios

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
F-Zero doesn't need more characters. It needs a new game.
F-Zero doesn't need a new game. It needs more characters, tracks and karts in Mario Kart. Or for Smash Karts to exist.

Basically this happened:

"Man, I'm tired of people who support cartoony characters like Banjo or Geno calling everyone else an Anime Swordsman."
"Let's just take the higher road and ignore it."
"No, let's invent a new buzzword so we can engage in the exact same behaviour we were decrying, but it's okay because they started it!"
Hey man, it worked for "Okay, boomer."

This could get buried but do any of you guys know what font (size and typeface) is used for the Fighter's Pass Template?

I made mine ages ago but just wanted to double check something.
DFGothic-SU

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

1988: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
1995: Rayman
2000: Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
2008: Nero (Devil May Cry 4)
2011: Dovahkiin (Skyrim)*
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: Madeline (Celeste)

*Minecraft “officially” released in 2011, but people were playing it back in 2009. Microsoft & Mojang even counted 2019 as the 10 year anniversary. Just pointing this out since if not I’d have Steve in the 2011 spot.

2018 was hard. It was a good year for sequels as opposed to new IPs/characters. I was almost tempted to say Arthur Morgan, but he wouldn’t fit in at all despite being one of the best game characters ever lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm pretty content right now because I wanted Banjo and Byleth. So this Fighter Pass surprisingly was great for me, even if I DID complain about Joker initially.

I think I'll be able to deal with the coming characters quite easy. I literally have no expectations, except a Pokémon from Sword / Shield. And that's a huge pool to choose from, and I have no preferences at all.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Chun-Li is added to Smash then I demand for Eggman, Gruntilda, Alucard, Tails, Zero, etc to be made playable as well
Yeah, and I demanded that Shadow and Ms. Pac-Man be added since Ken and Richter got in. Didn't work out for me.

Alucard and Zero are already Assist Trophies, Gruntilda is already a DLC spirit and Tails is a DLC Mii Fighter. Eggman or Tails could be fine, but I’d prefer Tails, just because I play Sonic for the speed and I really wouldn't care about a clunky mech character.
Overall Chun Li is a queen of crossover fighting games and out of the characters you listed, really only Tails and Eggman rival her importance to be warranted being added to Smash. Truth be told Chun Li is a special case out of these secondary 3rd Party characters because of the amount of crossovers she's appeared in alongside Ryu and the fact that Smash is literally the only crossover game where she isn't playable but Ryu, let alone Ken, are.
And to be honest, I'd see Tails being added before Eggman because the sidekick always gets in before the main villain (Luigi before Bowser, Falco before Wolf, and Diddy before Rool). And unfortunately, as I said before, he's a DLC Mii Costume.

I guess you could make Impa an echo of Sheik, but eh.
Not eh, hype.

Cold harsh truth is that those series just don't have any characters left that are notable enough to be made playable in Smash.
The only series there that this applies to is Yoshi. The others have plenty of options.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So, regarding Crash Bandicoot, I think his chances are good for FP2 mostly because he's extremely likely to get a new game in 2020 or at the very least 2021 because there was an accidental leak of unseen Crash Bandicoot character renders by the current developers of the franchise which points to a new game being in development and it has a good chance of being announced at a Direct alongside a possible appearance in smash due to marketing purposes as we've been seeing with most of the DLC additions so far.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, regarding Crash Bandicoot, I think his chances are good for FP2 mostly because he's extremely likely to get a new game in 2020 or at the very least 2021 because there was an accidental leak of unseen Crash Bandicoot character renders by the current developers of the franchise which points to a new game being in development and it has a good chance of being announced at a Direct alongside a possible appearance in smash due to marketing purposes as we've been seeing with most of the DLC additions so far.
Not sure if I agree.

Byleth is a Nintendo character and their addition was a unique one that you only see in Pokemon and FE characters. Hero's addition wasn't for marketing purposes at all, only Eleven being one of the alts arguably was. Joker's game isn't even on Nintendo consoles so Sakurai or P5's success most likely played a bigger role than mere marketing.

Also, does Crash even need a new game to be in? He can be added only because he used to be (and still is, to an extent) a big deal, like Mega Man.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only obstacle for Crash is the current company that owns him which is Activision. I recall they're hard to make a deal with or at least that's what I heard...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Not sure if I agree.

Byleth is a Nintendo character and their addition was a unique one that you only see in Pokemon and FE characters. Hero's addition wasn't for marketing purposes at all, only Eleven being one of the alts arguably was. Joker's game isn't even on Nintendo consoles so Sakurai or P5's success most likely played a bigger role than mere marketing.

Also, does Crash even need a new game to be in? He can be added only because he used to be (and still is, to an extent) a big deal, like Mega Man.
Oh, major brainfart on my part there regarding joker, lol

But yeah, you've got a point. Crash would create a lot of buzz by his own.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

1988: Ryu Hayabusa
1995: Dixie Kong (DKC3)
2003: Viewtiful Joe
2008: Star Force Mega Man (using the MMSF3 design) or Nero from DMC4
2011: Adam Jensen
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: Someone from Fighting EX Layer

Terry is still in the King of Fighters series and is being used to this day (though Fatal Fury as a series is effectively over).

Banjo & Kazooie on the other hand...
You'd think if SNK ever wanted a 1v1 game that wasn't a weapon fighter like SamSho, they'd make Garou 2.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131

I have bad taste.
  • 1988: N/A (IDK)
  • 1995: Worm (Worms)
  • 2000: Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
  • 2008: Travis Touchdown? (No More Heroes)
  • 2014: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove)
  • 2018: Detective Pikachu (Pokémon)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Anyone who knows Spanish want to translate the main tweet?
And re: snapshot - no I don’t believe Zippo. I just want to know what the Spanish guy is saying

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On the whole "Wario doesn't have any notable characters left": Ashley is still an AT.

Yoshi doesn't really have anything, though.
Captain Syrup's there too. But really the chances of someone from Wario Land showing up again in any substantial way is near zero. I guess Yoshi has Poochy, but eh.....I don't know what't you'd with him really.

If Chun-Li is added to Smash then I demand for Eggman, Gruntilda, Alucard, Tails, Zero, etc to be made playable as well
I'd mostly only want Mega Man X/.EXE and Chun-Li. But the others are also cool too. Tails and Eggman are certainly iconic in their own way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only obstacle for Crash is the current company that owns him which is Activision. I recall they're hard to make a deal with or at least that's what I heard...
Nintendo and Activision have pretty great rapport though.

Not only was the first post-PS4 N. Sane Trilogy announcement in a Nintendo Direct, but there's the Switch version of Overwatch, the Ganondorf content in Diablo, and if we go back a couple of years, Bowser and DK in Skylanders. Dealing with Activision really wouldn't be hard. The only tricky thing is the language barrier for Sakurai, but Banjo shows that's far from insurmountable.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

1988: Chelnov (Atomic Runner Chelnov)
1995: Jennifer Simpson (Clock Tower)
2000: Toan (Dark Cloud)
2008: Faith (Mirror's Edge)
2011: Vincent Brooks (Catherine)
2014: Princess Ida (Monument Valley)
2018: Scarlett Rhodes (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4)

Otto Matic missed his chance by one year.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nintendo and Activision have pretty great rapport though.

Not only was the first post-PS4 N. Sane Trilogy announcement in a Nintendo Direct, but there's the Switch version of Overwatch, the Ganondorf content in Diablo, and if we go back a couple of years, Bowser and DK in Skylanders. Dealing with Activision really wouldn't be hard. The only tricky thing is the language barrier for Sakurai, but Banjo shows that's far from insurmountable.
Huh really? Thanks for the correction then. I thought I heard somewhere they were hard to deal with I guess not...

Alright Crash's chances couldn't be much better then ever! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom