• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Dataminers dug in. Here's what the files look like after Byleth (who is called "Master" in the files) for those curious.

Don't take it as a sign that DLC is happening after Vol. 2 though.
23 more DLC characters.
If bought in passes, the characters have been 5 bucks each.
23×$5=$115
And I've already spent 60 for the game, 55 for the Fighter's Passes, and I own all Mii Costumes, but I'm too lazy to calculate them.
This hypothetical future would have me spending over $230 on the game.
And this future is heaven to me.
BAAH BAAH, Nintendo! I am a sheep! Lead me to the slaughterhouse! BAAH!

Faso115

Smash Lord
While that’s a neat pass, but for the sake of the game I had the rule for no company repeats.

Euden, Ring Fit and Surfetch’d are all from Nintendo and Arle is from Sega.
Why would you put Nintendo on the list? There are people that want first party characters

D

Deleted member

So umm...what's the fuzz happening right...

Oh...same old song and dance with Spirits. I'll leave it to you guys to settle your squabbles here. To be fair, it's just as toxic as my earlier female discussions (at least I admit)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
23 more DLC characters.
If bought in passes, the characters have been 5 bucks each.
23×$5=$115
And I've already spent 60 for the game, 55 for the Fighter's Passes, and I own all Mii Costumes, but I'm too lazy to calculate them.
This hypothetical future would have me spending over $230 on the game.
And this future is heaven to me.
BAAH BAAH, Nintendo! I am a sheep! Lead me to the slaughterhouse! BAAH!
Could be worse. Could be like Dead Or Alive 6’s DLC...

SKX31

Smash Master
Aight since we're doing the codename game again and I already let some of mine slip anyway, here's the full list of mine

Steve - Terra

Sol Badguy - Freddie

Kiryu - Dragon

2B - Pencil

Reimu - Blossom

Lloyd - Regenerator
And since there appears to be no more takers on mine (really thought people would slowly but surely go for it), so Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , here it is:

Reach is Chief obviously.
Valkyrie = KOS-MOS. Not just one of her attacks, but a veiling of her religious connections (a Christian codename might've been too obvious). I should've probably gone with Hilbert (Hilbert Effect) instead, but ah well.
Blink = Tracer, signature ability of hers.
Stinger = Dante, signature sword attack of his.
Gravity = Gordon Freeman, after the Gravity Gun - signature weapon.
Charm = Ahri (LoL). Charm is also Ahri's "stun" spell in game. That said, Morrigan is a close guess - both characters are seductresses what with Morrigan being a succubus and Ahri a kitsune. Key difference is that Ahri's a recovering addict while Morrigan is fully okay with what she is she's a succubus after all).

Bonus (This was really difficult yes): Laguna = Dota 2's Lina. The inspiration for her - including her spell names - come from the Slayers anime. Laguna Blade in particular shares some major similiarities with its anime counterpart: being a really powerful single target beam attack. In Dota 2's case it can slice through opponents quick - especially if Lina gets ahead in the match and / or acquires the spell-boosting item Aghanim's Scepter. Yea the spell's ridicolous.

Does Toad count as anime? I want him.
He / they will always be anime in our hearts.

Because of his heroics in the NSMB series.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Does anyone have a good template for making Fighters Pass vol. 2 mock ups?
I've seen some really great looking mock ups posted on here, but I'm not having much luck finding any templates with more than five challenger pack slots.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
people really need to get over their animephobia. Its so damn immature
A world without animephobia...
67AF02C0-E61B-495B-A255-C2F922843BBF.gif

In terms of who I wish to see for pass 2, the only character I hope makes it in is Steve, but other than that, as long as they’re fun to play as, I’ll accept anyone.

Not wanting other characters isn’t something I believe in.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The whole spirit name changing doesn't really affect anything IMO as it's content already represented in Ultimate in someway. All of the Fighter's Pass characters so far were from games with no content in Smash. And it's very likely it still be that way in Smash. Spirit Boards also damaged Spirit upgrades already also.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Black Shadow could be a cool Captain Falcon or Ganondorf clone. Too bad F-Zero is currently dead and its most likely "next" character (Samurai Goroh) is an Assist Trophy right now.

For anyone curious, do yourself a favor and look up the F-Zero racers, as in the drivers of each vehicle. A lot of these designs are top notch and would be fun to imagine in Smash if Sakurai took creative liberty with them the same way he did with Captain Falcon.

Or you could be like me and hope Jody Summer gets in as an easy Zero Suit Samus echo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The whole spirit name changing doesn't really affect anything IMO as it's content already represented in Ultimate in someway. All of the Fighter's Pass characters so far were from games with no content in Smash. And it's very likely it still be that way in Smash. Spirit Boards also damaged Spirit upgrades already also.
I dunno, Byleth is still the same franchise and brought a new remix of the Fire Emblem theme, which already had a remix (though it is based on the version from Heroes, but is still the same theme...and Heroes already had a track).

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
In terms of who I wish to see for pass 2, the only character I hope makes it in is Steve, but other than that, as long as they’re fun to play as, I’ll accept anyone.

Not wanting other characters isn’t something I believe in.
I can get behind this sentiment. Even the characters I'd personally be the least excited about, I would ultimately be okay with just knowing that somebody somewhere gets to play as their favorite character of all time.

Speaking of Steve, it's kind of funny that over the course of the past four or five years, I've gone from thinking that Minecraft was a garbage zoomer fad to genuinely enjoying it and viewing it as being absolutely worthy of joining the ultimate gaming crossover.

It's too bad that was the only time he used the Falcon Punch in the series, although I suppose that would have made this scene less epic. It's also too bad this show wasn't more popular in the Americas. Weren't only the early episodes dubbed? I can only remember ever watching this scene in Japanese.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I feel like it depends on if there's enough relevant Spirits left for the character to use.

Like, there are plenty of characters with enough Spirits to work with. Paper Mario, Geno, a Pokémon, all of them have plenty of material to work off of that hasn't been tapped into in Smash yet, even if they already have stuff.

Conversely I can't think of very many more Donkey Kong spirits, which puts Dixie in harm's way for me.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Fight_Pass_2_Predictions.png
My Fighter Pass 2 Predictions and why I see them as likely enough.
- Sora
--- Very popular request from a very popular series. I don't see Disney as a barrier.
- Saber
--- Less because I see her as likely and more due to her being the 'Terry' of my predictions, someone popular enough that no one would see coming.
- 2B
--- NieR Automata was released at a similar point as Persona 5 and was one of the 4 hugely popular games released that year..still hugely popular too.
- Rex & Pyra
--- Xenoblade 2 did fairly well, better than either of its predecessors, and Sakurai namedropped it being too late to include before, so perhaps now it can.
- Monster Hunter
--- Considering how massively popular the Monster Hunter series is, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hunter included.
- Urshifu
--- A Sword/Shield Rep for Pokémon as well as a walking advertisement for its DLC.

Yes, I know that 5/6 of these characters use Swords, though 2B & Monster Hunter could pull a Byleth and include other weapons in their movesets, I just don't think Sakurai cares that much about the 'too-many-swords' argument..he'll put in anyone he thinks has a potentially fun moveset.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
When did a dead series stop BK?
Banjo & Kazooie probably were in the Top 5 requested in the Fighter Ballot since Phil Spencer announced his support and made everyone, including me, run to vote for Banjo.
Believe me, I've been around since Brawl (old lost account, don't let my join date fool you), and Banjo was considered impossible due to being a Microsoft property.
He definitely had the "holy ****" factor on his side.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
View attachment 260256
My Fighter Pass 2 Predictions and why I see them as likely enough.
- Sora
--- Very popular request from a very popular series. I don't see Disney as a barrier.
- Saber
--- Less because I see her as likely and more due to her being the 'Terry' of my predictions, someone popular enough that no one would see coming.
- 2B
--- NieR Automata was released at a similar point as Persona 5 and was one of the 4 hugely popular games released that year..still hugely popular too.
- Rex & Pyra
--- Xenoblade 2 did fairly well, better than either of its predecessors, and Sakurai namedropped it being too late to include before, so perhaps now it can.
- Monster Hunter
--- Considering how massively popular the Monster Hunter series is, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hunter included.
- Urshifu
--- A Sword/Shield Rep for Pokémon as well as a walking advertisement for its DLC.

Yes, I know that 5/6 of these characters use Swords, though 2B & Monster Hunter could pull a Byleth and include other weapons in their movesets, I just don't think Sakurai cares that much about the 'too-many-swords' argument..he'll put in anyone he thinks has a potentially fun moveset.
I've had the sense for a while now that 2B could very well end up being the Joker of this pass, so to speak. Both the character and the game she hails from seem like they would really appeal to Sakurai, and 2B would make for a great surprise reveal (at least to the general gaming public who don't obsessively speculate about this stuff on a regular basis). She seems like she would be a great fit for Smash, too.
I've never played NieR, but I've heard it's one of the best games of this generation. I'd like to see it ported to Switch someday, since I'm curious to try it and I don't have a PS4.

I'm still a little surprised that Rathalos and two(?) songs are still the only Monster Hunter content in Ultimate.

I don't know a thing about Saber. Could you give me a brief explanation of the character and her game of origin?

Edit: Xenoblade 2 is a really interesting case right now. On the one hand, most if not all of the spirits that I would expect to be included in a challenger pack are already in the base game, and Sakurai went out of his way to deconfirm Rex for FP1. On the other hand, the series is clearly popular and XC2 has only a few songs in the base game so it's not like there isn't still plenty of content to include. I'd be more confident in Rex's inclusion if we were getting more standalone fighters like Piranha Plant rather than an entire second fighters pass. Initially I thought Rex might get the Corrin treatment: fighter and music but no stage. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I dunno, Byleth is still the same franchise and brought a new remix of the Fire Emblem theme, which already had a remix (though it is based on the version from Heroes, but is still the same theme...and Heroes already had a track).
I think that remix you’re talking about was already in the game. I remember there being two new FE: Heroes remixes for base game (“Gear Up For...” and the FE: Heroes Title Screen). These are all the tracks that came with Byleth:

E9086BC8-E11B-4673-899D-AD52CCA0C672.jpeg

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I don't know a thing about Saber. Could you give me a brief explanation of the character and her game of origin?
I wish more people would adopt this attitude

As for Saber, I can't give you the best rundown, but she's from a Visual Novel series called Fate. iirc she's basically a reincarnated King Arthur.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll

As for Saber, I can't give you the best rundown, but she's from a Visual Novel series called Fate. iirc she's basically a reincarnated King Arthur.
Ah, I remember now that I have heard a little about her before. Thanks.
By Visual Novel I assume you mean something like an interactive graphic novel? Not printed media but software? I assume there's some debate as to whether or not she counts as having originated in a video game, then.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think that remix you’re talking about was already in the game. I remember there being two new FE: Heroes remixes for base game (“Gear Up For...” and the FE: Heroes Title Screen). These are all the tracks that came with Byleth:

View attachment 260260
Ohhhh.

alright, my mistake.

That’ll teach me to assume stuff based on the new stage’s top music in its list...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

She is King Arthur (No reincarnation involved), though her real name is Artoria.

To answer Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur 's question, Fate is a series where magi summon a special kind of Familiar known as a Servant (Typically a manifestetion of a Hero of Legend) in a battle for the Holy Grail (Which grants any wish) called the Holy Grail War. Fate Lore is rather complicated so it does get a bit difficult without spoiling or getting to long winded.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
give me your fighter pass 2, only rule is you can’t use any company that had a character from pass 1 (so no Sega, Square-Enix, Microsoft, SNK, or Nintendo characters)
1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
5. Shantae [Shantae]
6. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]

Does anyone have a good template for making Fighters Pass vol. 2 mock ups?
I've seen some really great looking mock ups posted on here, but I'm not having much luck finding any templates with more than five challenger pack slots.
Here.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I remember now that I have heard a little about her before. Thanks.
By Visual Novel I assume you mean something like an interactive graphic novel? Not printed media but software? I assume there's some debate as to whether or not she counts as having originated in a video game, then.
A Visual Novel is an interactive story where the player choice affects the outcome. They're kinda like an electronic choose your own adventure novel. Often there is overlap with the dating sim genre, but not always. While some people scoff, they are firmly in the realm of video games. Probably the most popular Visual Novel series is Ace Attorney. Other examples include Steins;Gate, Higurashi (When They Cry), and Clanaad. Many Visual Novels, including Fate, get adapted into anime, so that becomes many people's first exposure to them and consequently they are unaware they technically originate as video games.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I've had the sense for a while now that 2B could very well end up being the Joker of this pass, so to speak. Both the character and the game she hails from seem like they would really appeal to Sakurai, and 2B would make for a great surprise reveal (at least to the general gaming public who don't obsessively speculate about this stuff on a regular basis). She seems like she would be a great fit for Smash, too.
I've never played NieR, but I've heard it's one of the best games of this generation. I'd like to see it ported to Switch someday, since I'm curious to try it and I don't have a PS4.

I'm still a little surprised that Rathalos and two(?) songs are still the only Monster Hunter content in Ultimate.

I agree there. NieR Automata is an amazing game (and its predecessor, NieR, was really good too). NieR Automata, being developed by Platinum Games, is a very stylish Action RPG (kind of like if Bayonetta mixed with Kingdom Hearts imho). I would love it on Switch and if its too graphic intensive, I'd love to see it redone in Cel Shading to resemble its official artwork.

For Saber, it would depend on which one. The one I shown is the Saber from Fate/stay night, who is a genderbent King Arthur named Artoria Pendragon (or sometimes Arturia or Altria due to translation things). She is a being known as a Servant, which is a figure from History or Legend summoned by a Mage/Magus to fight in an event known as the Holy Grail War against other Mages/Magi & their Servants in order to claim the Holy Grail, which will grant a wish to the winning Mage & Servant each. Each Servant is part of a particular class, such as Saber, Lancer, Caster, Rider, Berserker, Archer, etc and is called by such class title while keeping their true names a secret from all but maybe their Master..hence there being multiple Sabers (for example, Saber has an identical twin essentially in a red version of herself with her own personality, abilities, and attacks but is Emperor Nero Claudius instead of King Arturia Pendragon and is the main character of the Fate/EXTRA & Fate/EXTELLA series..you can see her in my avatar).
There also another version of Artoria that is actually male and, of course, named King Arthur, who is from Fate/Prototype (its not uncommon for two characters to exist as counterparts of the same person, such as Charlemagne & Charles the Great both existing..along with another more spoiler heavy example). He could be an alternate costume, though I'd prefer to have Saber Alter, a corrupted version of Artoria from the darkest route in Fate/stay night.

SaberArtGoStage2.png SaberAltGOStage2.png Arthur.png
Here are what Saber (Artoria), Saber Alter, and Saber (Arthur) look like.

For Saber's games, there have been several of differing genres. The first game, Fate/stay night is a visual novel game released for the PC and PS2, the PC version being a bit more of an ero game though and was heavily censored when it was released for PS2 and has stayed that way since. It was popular enough to spawn various Anime and Theatrical Movies based on its different routes & endings..and several manga, novels, and drama CDs as well.
As an example of how a Visual Novel game can be, think of Ace Attorney since its, in essence, part of the Visual Novel genre. Its a genre more prevalent and popular in Japan than the West.

Some other popular Fate series entries were the Fate/Grand Order, a gacha-style mobile RPG, Fate/EXTRA, a Dungeon Crawler RPG series, Fate/EXTELLA, a Warriors style game series (with it and Extra being developed by Marvelous), Fate/unlimited codes, a Fighting Game by Eighting & Capcom, and Fate/tiger colosseum, another Fighting Game by Capcom.
Similarly to Dragon Quest, and a lot of anime & Japanese games, its very popular in Japan and well known enough in the West..though in the West, similarly to Digimon, its more well known for its anime adaptions.

If you want good examples of her moveset possibilities, watch fight scenes from the Animes as well as footage from the Fighting Games (including her appearance in the Crossover Fighter 'Nitroplus Blasterz'), and Fate/EXTELLA (where she's an unlockable character since the main Saber is Nero)

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
How about when fan demand is a thing and F-Zero has little to none.
To be fair, when has Nintendo actually sincerely cared about fan demand? There's been fan demand for more than a decade for an official Mother 3 English release and they've never put out vibes that they even cared about those fans. The closest we ever got was not having legal actions pushed against fan translations for a while and then they went after ROM sites around the time they released the NES mini.

The last time Miyamoto was asked about F-Zero, his BS excuse was along the lines of "What new is there to do?". I love me some Mario, but the guy doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel with every new 2D Mario platformer. For years after the release of Ocarina of Time, every console Zelda felt repetitive and samey. I think they're just too scared to take any risks revitalizing an old series.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Thanks to everyone for the thorough and detailed explanations of Fate. I respect your passion for the franchise.

I agree there. NieR Automata is an amazing game (and its predecessor, NieR, was really good too). NieR Automata, being developed by Platinum Games, is a very stylish Action RPG (kind of like if Bayonetta mixed with Kingdom Hearts imho). I would love it on Switch and if its too graphic intensive, I'd love to see it redone in Cel Shading to resemble its official artwork.
I hadn't considered that, but I'm a sucker for cel shading when used effectively.
And cel shaded visuals tend to age very well.

I didn't know I wanted a cel shaded NieR Automata: Nintendo Switch Edition until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom