• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
There's only one character that would FIT this.
Would be almost prefect honestly, a Wii-Fit type character. But maybe something like this (an olympics character) will be relegated to a mii costume, I could see that as way more likely.

Or Katamari! (Which people seem to never remember for some reason)
No idea how that would work (thinking of how they had problems designing Mach Rider) but I love me some Katamari.

Here's my 'realistic' wishlist for FP2. Things that I can see actually happening, with a little bit of wishful thinking. Nothing too extreme, but overall something I would be really pleased if it happened. Included Mii Fighters, music, etc.
This is a pretty solid list, only think that stands out to me personally as unlikely is Hollow Knight as a full on fighter instead of mii fighter. He'd be a unique and good one, but out of the indies, I think Shantae and Shovel Knight are more likely (but I think Waluigi and Isaac are more likely that all of them).

SKX31

Smash Master
From what I've heard watching some competitive Smash players, Ultimate is one of the most balanced Smash games, so Sakurai should feel content. I have my personal gripes--it gets annoying hearing competitive players saying ":ultbanjokazooie: is trash, they're like high tier." But I recognize that is not the audience the team is balancing for.
When most pros say that, they usually consider characters like :ultbanjokazooie: to be pretty decent or good overall - but have either just enough problems or don't have anything that helps them in the current metagame. At this point the disadvantages become more noticeable than the advantages because they're facing top-tier opposition most of the time. ESAM for example mentioned the lack of consistent kill-confirms and them being just bad enough in disadvantage as the prime reasons why he put the duo right at the mid/high tier edge. Characters like :ultsnake: and :ultpalutena: have better kill confirms and can escape better.

It's the same kind of position :samusmelee: has in Melee, where the character's strong but lacks just the final pieces to make it click. Thus the disadvantages are highligted because they are "spanners in the works".

blackghost

Smash Champion
banjo is underwhelming for sure. lesser duck hunt and lesser snake. plus inconsistent moves and reliance on dthrow for kill confirms and an iffy recovery on top of it all.
his gameplan is wierd grenade is worse than snake's(who can have two) and it controls less space than duck hunt can and snakes grenades and has a shorter fuse. justan average character overall. dont think banjo even has a notable player base like joker, terry, or hero do either.

also some of these posts are pretty entertaining. if you arent supporting the face of a franchise or genre at this point you are setting yourself up for disappointment. its pretty clear how this works by now.
also some people dont know what the word "niche" means.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
You know, after finishing the Story Mode for Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, my wanting of Sol went a lot higher. I'd also like to see Axl Low as a Spirit if he does make it because I consider him one of the more tragic characters in Guilty Gear.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Indie reps even though they aren't a fighter. They are starting to make themselves known in smash. It might be inevitable that one will become a fighter, but we will see in Season 2 of the Fighters Pass.
Artist: Omar Esparza
EO2mCUkUYAU7lzR.jpeg

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Since some of you all didn’t see how unique crash’s moveset could be I decided to whip up a partial move list to show off what he could do

Crash Bandicoot Specials

B Spin

You hit B once crash will do the standard version of his iconic spin move it is very fast startup and has little recovery, Meg damage but with decent knockback. Mashing the B button 3 times in quick succession will cause crash to execute a much longer version of the spin that will cause him to float a little vertically and a lot horizontally how it floats forward and back can be manipulated based on direction you hold it (good stalling your fall and horizontal recovery tool)(does more or less damage than original based on how many hits connect but has the same good knockback . All spins reflect projectiles. Spins also shoot normal crates forward like a projectile (projectile is very fast (unreactable up close but shrinks to nothing over a distance.) Spins don’t put crash in free fall. The mash spin can only be done one time while in the air, any other spins will be normal after. (Spins will probably only kill near ledge or upper percent)

B over is Wumpa Bazooka

Crash pulls out his bazooka and fires horizontally upon tap a deadly wumpa fruit shot (good kill move 130 on normal characters), if you hold be you’ll remain in the bazooka state, you can’t move while it’s out but you can pretty precisely aim up or down before shooting. The projectile isn’t super fast or slow due to its power/damage.

B Up Arrow Crate

An arrow crate appears under crash bouncing him up, has no attack hitbox but doesn’t put crash in free fall so you can act out of it and even jump if you have it stored. Arrow crate stays and can be bounced on 2 more times after initial bounce before breaking, each consecutive bounce sends you higher than the last. Arrow crates stay if bounces aren’t used up and can be used by other players, attack hitboxes can destroy them and they can be shot like projectiles like normal crates with your spin attack. There can be up to 3 up arrows on the stage before the earliest one disappears. If normal or metal crates are dropped on the arrows they will continuously bounce creating a hitbox that can hit you or the opponent if your hit (normal crates can keep bouncing without using up the bounce count but metal and tnt crates will count toward the limit). Metal crates will hit harder (potentially kill at higher percents when bouncing) and tnt crates will explode if you attack a bouncing one (the countdown immediately start upon bouncing). (Nitro crates explode upon hitting the arrow)

B Down: Crate drop

By tapping down B Crash will quickly drop either a normal crate (75% of the time) or a metal one (25%). If done on the ground it will be placed directly in front of crash carefully there is a small hitbox upon initial drop that is relatively weak (metal will have more knockback/damage). When on the ground the normal crate can be destroyed by any attack or being jumped on but crash has the ability to send it flying as a projectile by spinning into it (it’s a weak hitting projectile with little knockback but it’s very fast), metal crates on the ground cannot be destroyed by attacks (you can destroy them with crash’s down air though or tnt/nitro crates) they can be rolled through though. When this grounded move (or its alt hold version) is done in front of an already placed crate crash will carefully stack it on top of the other crate. When done from the air the crate will drop where crash would normally place it, normal crates fall slow and don’t do much damage/knockback on hit (will break if hitting an opponent while falling) (and can actually be spun into to shoot a crate projectile influenced by physics), metal crates will fall quickly and deal better damage and knockback (also influenced by drop distance) (potential kill move at higher percent’s) if it falls on normal crate/s it will break them, if it were to fall on a tnt or nitro crate it would be destroyed by the explosion, metal crates will just stack on each other. If you hold the b button crash will take out in a slower fashion a TNT crate (75%) or a Nitro crate (25%) and place it down (if grounded), if hitting an opponent while being placed the countdown will start for it (knockback/damage is the same as normal crate/), if the nitro crate hits the opponent while placing it down it will cause an early kill move level explosion (100% and up on normal characters) that will hit both crash and the opponent. TNT crates will explode when attacked doing an early kill move attack just like the nitro explosion, if they are just jumped on or fall hitting something they will begin their 3 second countdown till they explode on their own, nitro crates will explode upon contact from anything except them being placed while grounded or them being stacked on other crates the explosion is the same early kill move from before. When this hold version is done in air TNT crates fall the same speed as normal crates do with the same knockback but will immediately begin a countdown if hitting an opponent (attacks still make them explode) upon landing the count down will immediately begin, Nitro crates fall the same speed as the tnt and will explode on contact with anything (same kill early move). You can only have up to 3 of the tap crates and 3 of the hold crates out on the stage before the earliest one breaks or explodes. (so in theory you can have 6 crates of these type out) (9 including the up arrow crates). (Crates are a great means of stage control).

Crash down air
Crash goes up a tiny bit vertically then goes for a quick belly flop that breaks shield and all crates (if some crates are broken beneath a small shockwave similar to dedede’s stars will surround him extending the attacks range, the shockwave doesn’t break shields though)

Crash down tilt

He does his slide move from the series very quickly that pops opponent’s up perfectly for a combo.

Forward throw

Crash places a TNT on the opponents head similar to CTR then kicks them in the crotch knocking them a little forward (does the least damage/knockback of his throws) starting a countdown till explosion, (jumping twice will pop the tnt crate off having it fly off in an arch behind you where it will explode once it hits the ground or the timer runs out)

Dash attack

Has Crash doing a version of his spin while moving forward on the ground angled forward (spin part still reflects projectiles and will send normal crates forward.)

Side Taunt
Crotch Chop Dance

Down Taunt

Hog Wild Look

The rest of his moves would probably be pretty standard (unk

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
*Crosses fingers for Shantae*
Elma for me, and maybe also Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy. Maybe even Black Shadow and Bandana Dee for a third pass

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Most definitely Elma would be my second pick for spirit promotion
Other options would be Shantae, Mecha-Fiora (Chrom set a precedent for her), and maybe Rising!Raiden? I just need my rules of nature brah

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Indie reps even though they aren't a fighter. They are starting to make themselves known in smash. It might be inevitable that one will become a fighter, but we will see in Season 2 of the Fighters Pass.
Artist: Omar Esparza
At this point I think it's most likely that indie characters will be added as "deluxe" Mii costumes with a music track or a bunch of music tracks.
Cuphead is a Mii costume, but I still have some hopes for the Knight to become a full character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
At this point I think it's most likely that indie characters will be added as "deluxe" Mii costumes with a music track or a bunch of music tracks.
Cuphead is a Mii costume, but I still have some hopes for the Knight to become a full character.
Indies as Mii costumes with a song is a good thing to consistently have...as for an indie upgrade...Shantae

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Saw this in one of my discords. Are there any characters not in Smash that you feel like 100% deserve to be in Smash. Like there are no counterpoints(or valid ones anyway, not that dumb **** where we had someone screaming that we cant have 2 DLC characters wearing trench coats in the game), no obvious reasons from them to not be in, and it feels like the only thing keeping them out is the fact they just haven't been picked yet. Overall, this character really should be here and them not being in it feels wrong.

I'm really not sure there is one. Inkling was the only slam dunk for me right off the bat and she was the first one taken care of. Interested in hearing opinions on this because it feels like all the must haves might be covered

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Saw this in one of my discords. Are there any characters not in Smash that you feel like 100% deserve to be in Smash. Like there are no counterpoints(or valid ones anyway, not that dumb **** where we had someone screaming that we cant have 2 DLC characters wearing trench coats in the game), no obvious reasons from them to not be in, and it feels like the only thing keeping them out is the fact they just haven't been picked yet. Overall, this character really should be here and them not being in it feels wrong.

I'm really not sure there is one. Inkling was the only slam dunk for me right off the bat and she was the first one taken care of. Interested in hearing opinions on this because it feels like all the must haves might be covered
Shanoa because I'm very gay for the best game of all time, no I do not take criticism.

Real talk though, that was Terry to me

ZelDan

Smash Master

Dixie Kong

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

E L M A

if Rex can’t be our next Xenoblade rep, the series still nevertheless deserves another and should be Elma. Her game came out at the right time for the Ultimate project plan too

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Bomberman?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It was like this before but it's especially like this now he's here but Terry, 100%. Simon/Castlevania in general was like that too.

Nowadays it's harder. I think everyone major is here. Maybe Toad, to some extent, especially Captain Toad?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Dixie Kong
This really is the biggest one for me. All of the most deserving third-party characters that have important histories with Nintendo (Mega Man, Simon, Erdrick, Banjo) are in, and with the inclusion of K. Rool and Ridley, I think a majority of the classic villains are now in, too. Yes, I think there are newer characters who deserve a spot, as well, but in terms of base roster legacy characters, Dixie's absence is the last one that feels noticeable.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have no confidence people would be saying Terry if he wasn’t already in. Y’all were awfully quiet the weeks months years prior to his reveal.

E L M A

if Rex can’t be our next Xenoblade rep, the series still nevertheless deserves another and should be Elma. Her game came out at the right time for the Ultimate project plan too
I feel there is a valid counterpoint against Elma, which is that her time has just passed. It happens. She falls into the Lyn/Gen3&5/Krystal/Goroh group in that sense.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Sgt. Cortez! He is the only character (Other than Joanna Dark) that can feasibly fill the Goldeneye role that was ever so subtly present in 64 and Melee with the addition of the Motion Sensor Bomb! The only reason he's not in yet is that Sakurai and Nintendo just don't know he exists... at least I don't think they do. I mean TimeSplitters 2 was released in Japan so theres that.

Oh well! At least Volume 2 gives me more hope that the muscular time travelling space marine can arrive on time or travel to the past to make his presence known! Maybe he was too late to reach Volume 1 since THQ Nordic just acquired the rights to the series around the time King K Rool was revealed but this time, I have a good feeling about him. THQ are trying to research ways to bring TimeSplitters back so hopefully they've stumbled upon Super Smash Bros Ultimate! :^)

Regardless it's...

Time to Split.gif

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have no confidence people would be saying Terry if he wasn’t already in. Y’all were awfully quiet the weeks months years prior to his reveal.

I feel there is a valid counterpoint against Elma, which is that her time has just passed. It happens. She falls into the Lyn/Gen3&5/Krystal/Goroh group in that sense.
Counter-counterpoint:

Rex’s story is finished when Xenoblade 2 ends. Xenoblade X, however, ends on a cliffhanger, meaning X2 will continue where X left off - and Elma will be front and center again

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He'd be cool.
He’d have a ton of popularity right now if he wasn’t taken out of the race right at the beginning, of that I’m pretty sure.

Counter-counterpoint:

Rex’s story is finished when Xenoblade 2 ends. Xenoblade X, however, ends on a cliffhanger, meaning X2 will continue where X left off - and Elma will be front and center again
But until that happens, we can’t act like it already has.

blackghost

Smash Champion

deserve? lara croft, sephiroth, dante and maybe shantae.

lara THE female character of gaming. lara has more movies than some smash character have games. sephiroth biggest villain in videogames not in. dante has defined the action game/ spectacle fighting genre and is its creator essentially. shantae every indie game character strives to have the longevity, fanbase, and sucess that this one has. lots of indie games draw design and level designs from shantae games.

dont really think there are any Nintendo characters that are to the level of deserving. all the icons that appear in mainline games are in. i think elma and rex are strong wants tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom