• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Oliver-Ni-No-Kuni-by_xeno_hunterx.jpg

Sora's a want from me...but honestly, I don't think there's any other character I want more than Oliver after Byleth's reveal. WE NEED MORE MAGES AND MORE POKEMON TRAINER-ESC CHARACTERS. Next pack has REALLY enforced my want for him and Sora.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Summer Olympics in Japan this year, if one of the FP2 characters released this summer were chosen to represent that, who would it be?

I can’t think of an all around athlete character (Goku?), but maybe someone related to one of the events like Springman for boxing or some Judo character for Judo, archery, any of them. Who would y’all pick?

Krankees

Smash Ace
Summer Olympics in Japan this year, if one of the FP2 characters released this summer were chosen to represent that, who would it be?

I can’t think of an all around athlete character (Goku?), but maybe someone related to one of the events like Springman for boxing or some Judo character for Judo, archery, any of them. Who would y’all pick?
There's only one character that would FIT this.
CI_NSwitch_RingFitAdventure_Intro_Character.png

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
After pass 1's inconsistent reveal schedule I've prepared myself for a wait until E3.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Captain Falcon is pretty athletic.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I should preface this by saying I gave my thoughts if I were to be pushed on who was more likely--as I said, I'm fairly 50/50 on them.

I feel like they're both very comparable in terms of popularity in Japan--one could argue one is slightly more popular than the other (I've heard it go both ways), but in comparison to other candidates, they're both virtually non-existent there. I mentioned the history with Nintendo as a factor was in comparison to Halo. While the character of Cloud was less associated with Nintendo, Cloud was there to represent the franchise as a whole, which did have a history with Nintendo. In comparison to Doom, Halo as a series has no relationship to Nintendo currently, and there's only a theoretical connection with a possible MCC coming to Switch. That being said, even if it doesn't come to Switch, Master Chief is still very possible in Smash. I gave the example of Joker. That Nintendo went with Joker, rather than a character from Shin Megami Tensei, demonstrates a bigger deviation from having characters/series with strong ties to Nintendo.

Which is why I noted it as an exception. So, Master Chief could be that exception, and if he's in, I'd expect him to be the first or second character in the pack, as that surprise character. But I generally stray away from thinking of who that exception would be, rather there will be a surprise character. Could be Master Chief, could be Sora (since most dismiss him due to the Disney connection), could be an assist becoming playable, could be a character I'm not even considering at the moment. If asked if Master Chief is possible, I have no doubt it's possible, especially given Nintendo and Microsoft's growing relationship. It's when asked if it's likely, that I feel less confident about. I suspect there will be either no Western characters, or at most one, and there's plenty of candidates.
Halo at least had Japanese studios making anime for it. Halo at its peak at least left a mark there. Like Bungie team having a match against a Japanese team or Japanese artist drawing comic, etc. I know I am stretching here, but I am just trying to point at difference.

You are right that we can't accurately predict what Nintendo has in mind. If MCC rumor really comes true, then Nintendo may make a special exception and put Halo on spotlight unlike other games that got Switch port.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By going blind I clearly meant during the period between the actual DLC announcement and the game release.
I dunno why you said "clearly" because that wasn't at all implied in your post. And even if it were, as I said, we knew about Joker at LEAST before the pack was put up for preorder. It looks like that is not the case with this one.
Hey NSG, I feel bad saying this, but I feel like Ryu isn't as likely as we all thought.
Unfortunately, this also applies to Doom Slayer, but the recent comments from Bethesda give me hope that he'll come eventually if he's not already locked and under NDA.
I mean I'm curious why you say this because "unlikely" characters popped up left and right in this last pass but by all means believe what you want. If I get Hayabusa and Doom Slayer, hell yeah, if I don't? **** dude, I got Snake, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Joker, Banjo, the list goes on. I'm just in this for the ride mate, whatever happens happens.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hey guys.
I have a super credible leak. Screenshot this.
If a Nintendo Direct is not announced this week, then it will NOT be within the month of January.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Mike Haggar, for the Wrasslin'.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
View attachment 259950

Sora's a want from me...but honestly, I don't think there's any other character I want more than Oliver after Byleth's reveal. WE NEED MORE MAGES AND MORE POKEMON TRAINER-ESC CHARACTERS. Next pack has REALLY enforced my want for him and Sora.
Is that a Sword I see?

Sorry, that's a no no around here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, you guys can add additional 3rd party characters only from franchises already represented in Smash. Who do you choose? Only one from each.

Sonic: Dr Eggman/Robotnik
Metal Gear: Raiden
Megaman: Dr Wiley (Or maybe Zero instead)
Castlevania: Dracula
Pacman: Pinky, duh
Final Fantasy: No idea
Street Fighter: Guile
Banjo: Gruntilda
Dragon Quest: Slime
Sonic: Dr. PingasEggman
Megaman: Zero
Castlevania: Alucard
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man (echo fighter)
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Street Fighter: Chun-Li or Guile
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
KoF/FF: Geese Howard
I came up with a new game. What is your favorite song(s) in Ultimate. Only rule is that the song must be in Ultimate, new song or old one. You can count Three Houses if you want. We should also probably stick with links for this one.

Some of mine are:
Vega Stage - New Remix
Mega Man X Opening Stage - New Remix
Beneath the Mask - New Remix
Stormy Saxophone 2 - KOF '96 - New Remix
Big Blue - New Remix

Yes they are all new remixes but I can't help it, they're too good.
Y'know what? I'm gonna go all out and do my 5 favorites for every series in Ultimate. Crazy but I got nothing better to do at the time of writing this.
Ice Climber:
Ice Climber (Melee)

Game and Watch:
Flat Zone (Included this one just because the song is so weird it's hilarious)
Flat Zone 2

R.O.B:
Stack-Up/Gyromite (Brawl)

Duck Hunt:
Duck Hunt Medley - New Remix
One Winged Angel
JENOVA
Final Fantasy Medley

Fight On! (Final Fantasy VII)
Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII)
Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII) New Remix
tl;dl holy **** does Final Fantasy need new music cause I can't even make a list of five with what we have now also stan Stickerbrush Symphony

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay, you guys can add additional 3rd party characters only from franchises already represented in Smash. Who do you choose? Only one from each.

Alright - here's my responses, but I might skip a few admittedly if I feel like the series doesn't need a second fighter.
Sonic: Dr. Eggman
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: None
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Terra Branford
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Persona: Aigis
Banjo-Kazooie: N/A
Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters: Kyo Kusanagi

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Sonic: Dr. PingasEggman
Megaman: Zero
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man (echo fighter)
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Street Fighter: Chun-Li or Guile
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
KoF/FF: Geese Howard

Y'know what? I'm gonna go all out and do my 5 favorites for every series in Ultimate. Crazy but I got nothing better to do at the time of writing this.
Ice Climber:
Ice Climber (Melee)

Game and Watch:
Flat Zone (Included this one just because the song is so weird it's hilarious)
Flat Zone 2

R.O.B:
Stack-Up/Gyromite (Brawl)

Duck Hunt:
Duck Hunt Medley - New Remix
One Winged Angel
JENOVA
Final Fantasy Medley

Fight On! (Final Fantasy VII)
Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII)
Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII) New Remix
tl;dl holy **** does Final Fantasy need new music cause I can't even make a list of five with what we have now also stan Stickerbrush Symphony
Bombing Mission OST is sorely needed.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still wish we could get some SF3 era music in Smash. It's my favorite era of SF music.

D

Deleted member

I still wish we could get some SF3 era music in Smash. It's my favorite era of SF music.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, most of the SF content in Smash was from 2. You could argue that they have Spirits Alpha-onward, but probably due to them focusing on the Nintendo Affiliation rather than their current Playstation-esque affiliation.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Jazzy NYC and Rashid's theme really should've been in the Street Fighter song selection. RASHIDOOOOOO! Profound sadness we haven't gotten either of them...

D

Deleted member

Jazzy NYC and Rashid's theme really should've been in the Street Fighter song selection. RASHIDOOOOOO! Profound sadness we haven't gotten either of them...
The SF3 rap song during the character select wasn't included either. Damn.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's....less than 10k copies sold. Even Halo 3 barely broke 50k during its first week before petering out in its high. Whereas DQ have had entries which broke the million copy benchmark in the West.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who played Halo extensively, MC would be amazing. But i think people overestimate his chances compared to a Minecraft character or Crash
You are aware that there's a very large difference in consumer bases between Japan and the West, right? 50k in Japan in one week is pretty good, especially for a Western game, and especially on an Xbox console. The bar for success over there is nowhere near a million copies.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Is he not? He's a capcom character in a capcom fighting game, although he just happens ton originate in his own series... By that logic, everyone thats ever been playable or been aboss in a fighting game can be considered a fighting game character. It just depends on who you ask... Right?
that's usually not how it works
just because he's literally in a fighting game, doesn't mean he's a fighting game character
Ryu, Ken, Terry; those are fighting game characters, because they came from and maintain fighting game franchises
No one calls Cloud a fighting game character just because he's in Ehrgriz or Dissidia, the latter which itself is the spin off game to Final Fantasy, which is an RPG franchise at heart
Ryu's been in several Puzzle Fighter games, but no one says he's a puzzle game character in the same way as Lip from Puzzle League
Heck, Banjo debuted in a racing game, but everyone considers him a platformer character because that's his claim to fame
it's all about context

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sakurai fully intended to keep Joker until February. Nintendo is the one who decided to reveal Joker at TGAs.

Unless Nintendo ****ery occurs again, we're in this for the long haul.
Sauce? I never knew he never planned on speaking about him till February.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
So do you agree that Master Chief has higher chance than at least Doom Slayer?
Imo Chief is very unlikely when the real circumstances are looked at tbh that’s not to say he can’t happen but he definitely isn’t more likely than DoomGuy. I’d argue even with the deconfirmation he’s more likely than Chief

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So do you agree that Master Chief has higher chance than at least Doom Slayer?
It's really Sakurai's choice depending on the direction. If Sakurai wants to solidify the gaming icon scene, Slayer's safe bet. If you want some real hype, go Chief.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's really Sakurai's choice depending on the direction. If Sakurai wants to solidify the gaming icon scene, Slayer's safe bet. If you want some real hype, go Chief.
Chief is much more gaming icon than Doom Slayer like how Cloud is much more famous gaming icon than DQ's Hero. People are still debating on whether to go with Doom Slayer or Doomguy. Chief never suffered from such case.

Imo Chief is very unlikely when the real circumstances are looked at tbh that’s not to say he can’t happen but he definitely isn’t more likely than DoomGuy. I’d argue even with the deconfirmation he’s more likely than Chief
You bring Japan argument against Chief, but why not Doom Slayer?

D

Deleted member

I've been pretty much blind since Friday, the hell happened to justify 30 pages or so? Or are people just arguing conspiracy theories once more
Conspiracy theories. Forum games. Nothing much. Except the one time we all talked about Spirits and stuff. Other than that, your break was well-deserved.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I can't afford 2 years of speculation with months between one announcement and another, 5 characters in one year was already bad enough, 6 in 2 years is even worse.

So I'm gonna do many breaks from now onward.

D

Deleted member

I can't afford 2 years of speculation with months between one announcement and another, 5 characters in one year was already bad enough, 6 in 2 years is even worse.

So I'm gonna do many breaks from now onward.
Sigh...I'd say the same. We're literally gonna be staying put for so long...

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Let's say that the Fighter's Pass also came with one assist trophy per pack. Who would you have picked as the five assist trophies? The only rules is that the character must not be someone already physically present during any stage or animation (spirits are fine though), and the assist trophy must originate from the same series as the pack's character.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Sigh...I'd say the same. We're literally gonna be staying put for so long...
I'm probably gonna stick around here until the next Direct and a few days after. Then I'll go off forum for a bit but maybe talk to a few of yous somewhere else. Come back once the scent of speculation picks up again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's say that the Fighter's Pass also came with one assist trophy per pack. Who would you have picked as the five assist trophies? The only rules is that the character must not be someone already physically present during any stage or animation (spirits are fine though), and the assist trophy must originate from the same series as the pack's character.
Joker: Akechi, throw the poor guy a bone.
Hero: Veronica or Sylvando both would be great.
Banjo: don't care
Terry: Mai Shiranui :4pacman:
Byleth: Lysithea was robbed.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice

Metal Gear: Shotmaker
Sonic: Eggman
Pac-Man: Blinky (or the ghosts in general)
Street Fighter: Chun Li
Final Fantasy: Black Mage
Bayonetta: Rodin
Persona: Jack Frost?
Dragon Quest: Slime or Jade
Banjo Kazooie: Conker is the sibling franchise, so I'm going to cheat and say Conker
Fatal Fury: Geese

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
After pass 1's inconsistent reveal schedule I've prepared myself for a wait until E3.
I dunno about that long but I wouldn't expect one until late March, or April.

Though I suppose E3 is plausible if they really wanted to maximize audience for a bombshell pick or two, but if they wait that long I'm going to expect one.

Byleth: Lysithea was robbed.
Given more time I bet each house's students would show up (by this I mean all of them for each one), and Cyril would be in the cathedral.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to spread awareness of a character, without social media & stuff? Like, using Smashboards as the only resource, and maybe a splash-screen & roster creator

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I feel like some people are getting their expectations way too high for Fighter Pass 2. In retrospect, most of FP1 was pretty obscure or at least niche in some way.

Joker is huge for Atlus because they know he's their cash cow until they come out with either Persona 6, that new Hashino project or SMTV becomes a million seller. But Atlus rarely has these successes; that's why they're licensed out so much. They capitalize on them while they can; Persona 4 was in this same position.
Terry and Hero aren't very big outside of their "sphere of influence" and their inclusion was made easier by their companies wanting to expand. You can see that Hero strained their budget despite this with DQ being the biggest brand in the Fighter Pass, while Terry was still super easy to include because of it and SNK's relative obscurity.
Banjo is essentially retired and had both fan demand and company execs making it easier; if it was someone else heading Microsoft's Game department, or he was still a hot IP with million seller games or the fans were just that much quieter it wouldn't have happened.
Byleth is Byleth. He hadn't even sold a single game when they decided on him.

None of these characters are super huge outside of their sphere of influence. They're not Halo or Doom levels of huge. I think we could easily see a character from a series that's never had a million seller title. That's not to say they won't have a big name in the pass, that's absurd. But like Hero, they'll be the outlier and it'll show. Sakurai's the kind of person who'd enjoy both smaller series and triple A ones, while Nintendo has reasons to be interested in IPs of varying notoriety. And there's plenty of 'lesser' series that deserve exposure to a wider audience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like some people are getting their expectations way too high for Fighter Pass 2. In retrospect, most of FP1 was pretty obscure or at least niche in some way.
I'd pretty much agree with this. Either you're really passionate or you're setting up yourself for disappointment. Remember; not everything has to cater to you and you should give chance to the lesser ones.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Sonic: Tails
Pac-Man: Ghosts
Street Fighter: Chun-li
Final Fantasy 7: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Father Balder
Castlevania:Alucard
Persona: Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest: Dragonlord
Banjo-Kazooie: Mumbo Jumbo
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'll be fine. Whoever they add is either going to really excite me or they're not, but I'm not going to be sad about "what could have been", because "what could have been" could have been any number of things. To be honest, aside from being able to talk to you guys, I don't really have any sort of emotional attachment to speculation anymore. It's probably a sign that I'd better leave and focus on things that are more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom