• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Does anyone else go back and watch those old Direct reveals after a long/stressful day? Just to, like, reminisce on how incredible they made you feel when you witnessed them for the first time? The whole "Everyone Is Here" thing, Ridley's announcement, that killer Belmont trailer, etc?

No? Just me? And in fact, watching old Smash Directs to unwind is actually something only a crazy person does and I should seek professional therapeutic aid? Hm...yeah, seems about right. Carry on.
I just rewatch the trailers for Smash

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Mind listing those merits?
Byleth represents their first console Fire Emblem title in over a decade that was specifically made almost as a direct response to the issues with Fates and Awakening that went for a darker storyline and also moved the series forward in a new direction by incorporating elements around the Gareg Mach Monastery time management and teaching. More importantly, Byleth presented them with the opportunity to represent multiple weapons to represent the overall game that had otherwise been untouched by the playable Fire Emblem cast. And especially in the wake of Three Houses' pretty huge success, it bring a playable character from one of the most revered and beloved Switch titles and Fire Emblem titles.

You don't have to like those "merits" or agree with the decision making behind them, but that's what Byleth brings to the table as a character choice.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Byleth represents their first console Fire Emblem title in over a decade that was specifically made almost as a direct response to the issues with Fates and Awakening that went for a darker storyline and also moved the series forward in a new direction by incorporating elements around the Gareg Mach Monastery time management and teaching. More importantly, Byleth presented them with the opportunity to represent multiple weapons to represent the overall game that had otherwise been untouched by the playable Fire Emblem cast.
How can people tell me I'm "fearmongering" for predicting a Fire Emblem character in season pass 2 when incorporating new gameplay elements in an ongoing series is apparently all it takes to warrant a new playable character?

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Byleth represents their first console Fire Emblem title in over a decade that was specifically made almost as a direct response to the issues with Fates and Awakening that went for a darker storyline and also moved the series forward in a new direction by incorporating elements around the Gareg Mach Monastery time management and teaching. More importantly, Byleth presented them with the opportunity to represent multiple weapons to represent the overall game that had otherwise been untouched by the playable Fire Emblem cast. And especially in the wake of Three Houses' pretty huge success, it bring a playable character from one of the most revered and beloved Switch titles and Fire Emblem titles.

You don't have to like those "merits" or agree with the decision making behind them, but that's what Byleth brings to the table as a character choice.
Not that I disagree, but these “merits” you mention just seem like a step forward for the fire emblem series.
Most of what you mentioned doesn’t translate to smash as a character being more unique to play as or adding variety to the roster. Just sounds like their respective series made a lot of improvements.

Although regardless,3H selling as well as it did does warrant its inclusion on the roster, so that’s a fair point.

Was Byleth’s introduction a scene from the actual 3H game?

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Not that I disagree, but these “merits” you mention just seem like a step forward for the fire emblem series.
Most of what you mentioned doesn’t translate to smash as a character being more unique to play as or adding variety to the roster. Just sounds like their respective series made a lot of improvements.

Although regardless,3H selling as well as it did does warrant its inclusion on the roster, so that’s a fair point.

Yes, the cutscene stuff was mostly from the game just with a bit of smash stuff added in.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Yes, the cutscene stuff was mostly from the game just with a bit of smash stuff added in.
Oh.
Well I can honestly see why most people would believe why the character was swapped with somebody else.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

Does it really matter tho? Either way this character was coming regardless.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Except Banjo.

I kid, I kid. I actually dislike a few of his move choices (forward air should be Pack Whack for visual flavor, for instance), but more than that I dislike how half-hearted his unique mechanic is. 5 Gold Feathers seems like an arbitrary way to acknowledge his collectathon origins. If they expanded on it it'd make him much more interesting, especially since lots of people think he's a bit underbaked as well.
  • Up B in mid-air is a Flight Pad, which uses one Red Feather. You can Up B multiple times while in mid-air, but each time it uses a Red Feather, of which he only has 15 total. (Grounded Up-Bs are still Shock Spring Pad jumps, and you get a vastly weakened Shock Spring Jump if you're out of Red Feathers and in mid-air)
  • Side B after using a Flight Pad is a Beak Bomber, essentially a weaker Wonder Wing that uses a Red Feather
  • Shield + B is Egg Change which affects Neutral B. He can switch between regular eggs (50), fire eggs (20) and ice eggs (10). Fire eggs burn while ice eggs can freeze, obviously.
  • His collectibles can all appear from containers if items are turned on. When collected by someone other than Banjo, Eggs heal, red feathers increase mobility temporarily and golden feathers grant short invincibility
He's easily my favorite character pick so far but that doesn't stop me from thinking he could be improved.
I'm glad Banjo was kept simple and straightforward because this muck gimmickry would be beyond obnoxious.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It was arguably the most memorable scene present in all four routes, as it happens before the time skip, but rebranded for Smash in a funny way.

Beaten up Byleth limping back to Sothis before a solid minute of self-aware humor made it one of my favorite reveal trailers. Though I understand how some of the luster is lost on people who haven't played the game.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Did Corrin's release stop people from shutting up about them?

We're going to be talking about Byleth until Smash 6 DLC.
Corrin was the last DLC character though. We're getting six more for this game.

I'd liken Byleth's situation more to Incineroar than Corrin. People will get distracted by the next shiny thing and, on the whole, forget about their disappointment-- so long as the next shiny thing isn't also disappointing to them.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I cant wait till Byleth comes out so you all can shut the **** up
I wanna keep hyping her up though
It was arguably the most memorable scene present in all four routes, as it happens before the time skip, but rebranded for Smash in a funny way.

Beaten up Byleth limping back to Sothis before a solid minute of self-aware humor made it one of my favorite reveal trailers. Though I understand how some of the luster is lost on people who haven't played the game.
easily the best moment in the gam...followed by some...special moments

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I never played the game but I seriously lol’d and still lol at the old man and his lines. Straight up fantasy cliche stuff. And the final “ahhhhh!” when Femlyth came out was comic gold.

Also, to me, the whole Sothis telling Byleth to join Smash Bros. felt like they were saying “Byleth is happening and it’s your fault for getting angry about it as it was obviously going to happen. So just accept it.”

if we are doing favorite trailers, my has to be:

1. Cloud (that entire intro literally made be shot a brick. As a hardcore FF7 fan and huge “Cloud can never be in Smash” guy, this was a huge, huge, huge surprise to me. I never danced and whooped during a trailer but I did it...right in the middle of work)
  2. Ryu (as an old school SF fan...the opening brought me tons of smiles and nostalgia.)
  3. Banjo & Kazooie (Loved the KK Rool tie in and the ending portion was what truly sold it. Seeing the bird and bear altogether with the rest was heart warming)
  4. Terry (as an old school FF, KoF, AoF, SamSho fan, this trailer made me all giddy. My reaction was on par to MaxDude’s reaction. All those pretty sprites were just classic.)
  5. Shulk (Never played the games but Bowser chasing Butterfree was a great touch along with “Now it’s Show Time!”)
  6. Rosalina & Luma (Everything about this was just nice and pretty)
  7. Ridley (Not what I would have chosen but excellent nonetheless. Putting in the trio was a predictable but great choice)
  8. Isabelle (Great wholesome fun)
  9. Hero (Seeing all those dark version cameos is what sold it for me. Want to see more like this.)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And yet Byleth is suspiciously absent from your list.

It was ok but, as someone who doesn’t like FE and doesn’t really like anime or anime voice acting, it was midrange for me. Like I said, the old dude was the best part.

Maybe they should of had put him in Smash instead. Seeing his go “ahhh!!” everytime a Final Smash is launched would of been hilarious.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My favorite reveal of all of smash is still "Sonic joins the brawl" I can remember that image perfectly in my mind over 10 years laters as if it happened yesterday.

It's actually a massive spoiler without context lol

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I've watched the Byleth trailer so many times for that reason. It's just legitimately hilarious, like an abridged series or parody video, made for fans of the game. FByleth flying away like Wing Cap Mario is one of the funniest things I've seen in a Smash trailer, just barely edging out Geese falling out of Howard Tower trying to grab the invite. They really nailed the fun factor of TH by doing this in my eyes.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I've watched the Byleth trailer so many times for that reason. It's just legitimately hilarious, like an abridged series or parody video, made for fans of the game. FByleth flying away like Wing Cap Mario is one of the funniest things I've seen in a Smash trailer, just barely edging out Geese falling out of Howard Tower trying to grab the invite. They really nailed the fun factor of TH by doing this in my eyes.
Does Byleth actually fly and, if so, why weren’t they given a flying-type recovery move?

It smells fishy to me...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
favorite reveal?
1580162614844.png

it's been almost 2 years and that flaming Smash logo still gives me chills to this day

Honorable mentions to Byleth, Pac-Man, Greninja, and Terry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

favorite reveal?
View attachment 259893
it's been almost 2 years and that flaming Smash logo still gives me chills to this day
Joker because how much we got caught off guard. I was busy playing pub games when it dropped. Truly unexpected.

Terry because of my connection as an SNK fangirl.

Byleth because of how much I cried tears of joy. You all know why.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Is it bad that, for me, if I watch a reveal and there were ongoing rumors/leaks implying the character, “I guess the leaks/rumors are true, so this was somehow expected” is the first thing I think about rather than hype regarding the character/trailer itself?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It was ok but, as someone who doesn’t like FE and doesn’t really like anime or anime voice acting, it was midrange for me. Like I said, the old dude was the best part.

Maybe they should of had put him in Smash instead. Seeing his go “ahhh!!” everytime a Final Smash is launched would of been hilarious.
Ahhhhh got it. For some reason I was making that a best-to-worst in my head, forgetting that we'd gotten way more than nine trailers. Lol.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I guess my response to the, “Why can’t people dislike Byleth?” would be this...

Let’s reflect on the fact that this character, who brings a new moveset to the table, brings incredible music to the table, brings a cool new stage to the table, is getting crapped on because of the series symbol next to the name, and the hair color they have.

That’s essentially judging a book by the cover. That in itself is rather ignorant, when a sizable portion of the game is actually playing the characters and not staring at them. It’s ironic, because before the frustration was that Fire Emblem was “all sword fighters”, but this dude brings 4 different weapons. This time it’s just about the hair. Goalposts keep moving.

The other part of it is, what is the negativity going to do? It only makes folks miserable. It’s not going to get the character removed from the game, nothing like that.

When there are so many better things you could do with your time, like exercising, socializing, reading, drawing...so many other things, you decide to rant on the internet about a fictional character in a fighting game that has roughly 80 other characters.

I’m not saying you can’t be frustrated, as people should be absolutely heard. But it’s about presentation, and it’s about priorities. I still find the “Corrin salt” ridiculous for those very reasons.

Ps- if you have a problem with blue haired protags starring in FE, and then starring front and center in Smash (which is a mascot crossover fighter) that’s not Sakurai’s fault...talk to Intelligent Systems about their character design and making their leads have blue hair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone: Byleth's dropping soon!

Me: I'm just as excited as most of us here, but I'm betting my a** that magic datamines will pop up. Not that it'll happen, of course!

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Shulk (Never played the games but Bowser chasing Butterfree was a great touch along with “Now it’s Show Time!”)
Shulk time, not show time.

That'd probably end up giving him more screentime in Smash than he actually has in Three Houses, lmao.
Well, at least screentime "as himself".

Everyone: Byleth's dropping soon!

Me: I'm just as excited as most of us here, but I'm betting my ass that magic datamines will pop up. Not that it'll happen, of course!
Yeah, I severely doubt that we'll get anything noteworthy out of datamines for the rest of Ultimate's lifespan. They already learned their lesson a year ago with the whole "Brave" debacle.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

I would have loved to have the old dude, he seemed kinda interesting and fun. I imagine he'd be very different than any current fighter because he'd pretty much only use spells. Maybe someday!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We don’t have enough old people in Smash. Give me Gandalf already!

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Besides the hype reveal of Ultimate and "Everyone is Here" my favorites were probably Byleth, Shulk, Joker and Sonic.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I never played the game but I seriously lol’d and still lol at the old man and his lines. Straight up fantasy cliche stuff. And the final “ahhhhh!” when Femlyth came out was comic gold.
What makes this better is Solon (the old man in question) is dead serious every time we see him in game. Him suddenly talking about Smash and being shocked by FByleth flying with the Hero's Relics is so amazingly out of character that it basically turned into a meme.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
My favorite reveals were probably Robin, Hero, and Byleth, but not necessarily in that order.

I liked Robin’s because I got both him and Lucina in the same trailer, whom I shipped together (and still kinda do). It was also nice seeing Robin in the Awakening cutscene artstyle for once, considering that he was usually offscreen or hooded in most of them.

I liked Hero’s because I was genuinely looking forward to his reveal instead of someone like Banjo or Geno, and it was a pretty epic trailer nonetheless.

And I like Byleth’s because I was laughing my butt off because I was in VC with friends at the time and it turned out to be “yet another FE character”. I also enjoyed Three Houses and Byleth as a character because self-insert protagonists are usually my favorite.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would have loved to have the old dude, he seemed kinda interesting and fun. I imagine he'd be very different than any current fighter because he'd pretty much only use spells. Maybe someday!
Solon doesn't actually do anything of merit in FE.

It'd be the equivalent of adding a piranha plant from Mar-- wait.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
sustained anger two weeks after a smash character's reveal just confuses me

like tf you gonna do, use your sheer fury to get them removed from the game?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
sustained anger two weeks after a smash character's reveal just confuses me

like tf you gonna do, use your sheer fury to get them removed from the game?
I tried with Cloud. Hasn't worked yet.

I'll keep you posted.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If he looked exactly the same, people would still be mad. 99% of the reason the "average" western fans don't like the FE characters is because most of them look the same to them, just with different hair colors. Of course, each series has some of this (Mario, Luigi, Wario all look similar), but usually have more variety. Fox, Falco and Cloud can all be considered *somewhat semi clones (not as much Wolf), but all 3 look quite different from each other. Marth, Chrom, Ike, Lucina and now Byleth all look quite similar to the untrained eye (I know that fans will see a huge difference, but besides maybe Ike, I can't really tell the difference). Robin and Corrin actually look pretty different off the top of my head. But a large portion of their series look like the others, just with small differences, like Ike being a little bigger, and Roy having different hair color.

I need to make it clear that I'm NOT salty about Byleth and I'm very happy for his/her fans. But I firmly believe that if he wasn't another blue haired fighter who's main picture shows him with a sword (and the first half of the trailer), he would be more accepted, but only a little. I think many western fans dislike FE more than the others because of how many clones/look alikes take up their ranks, and so even if they get new unique characters, the fans feel negativity towards the series unfortunately.

Not excusing the mentality, but after conversations with my friends (who I feel would be considered average western games) I believe this is a lot of the mentality. "Another blue haired swordsman" (Again, I know he's not a swordsman, but that seems to be what you see when they show him).
No offense but I honestly don't know how people can't tell the difference between Marth, Chrom or Ike. Seriously.

I mean FE characters in Smash share an aesthetic and all that and I guess that being realistic humans doesn't help at all for people who are unfamiliar with the characters, but I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom