• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
There's a topic on the gamefaqs board that I'd like to answer, but I'd like to hear others' answers first.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78360903#qp

"Specifics or how broadly you choose to interpret it are up to you.

Archer
Athlete
Baby
Cowboy
Demon
Ghost
Ginger
Humanoid alien
Living sword
Pirate
Samurai
Shapeshifter
Sibling to someone on the existing roster
Time traveler
Witch / Wizard "
Archer: Decidueye

Athlete: Waluigi, but he is an actual cheater

Baby: none

Cowboy: none

Demon: none

Ghost: Froslass (Pokémon)

Ginger: Sami (Advance Wars)

Humanoid alien:
Elma, but keep it without the spoiler

Living sword: Pyra/Mythra

Pirate: Shantae was once, it works

Samurai: the avatar, also known as the Warrior of Light, also known as derplander, but give him all the jobs representation (FFXIV)

Shapeshifter: Paper Mario

Sibling to someone on the existing roster: I'll put my favorite Pokémon in this spot, Mawile

Time traveler: Ratchet & Clank

Witch / Wizard: Isaac

Except Phoenix and Sora, who have no fitting categories, I was able to fit all my favorites!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
ive said that as well. just ask namco to make a soul calibur engine game using FE characters. it would sell like crazy. but then again it took nintnedo 30 years to realize a pokemon fighting game (even a somewhat bad one) would be a moneymaker as well.

speaking of FE there is a literal popularity contest happening now in its mobile game. the poll isnt complete yet but the current results can be seen here: https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1220632331100311552 .
As someone who's been playing since launch, I can tell you now that it became less of a popularity contest and more of a "We want these characters to have alts" contest. Or, in the case of the FEH OCs, it's we want them added to the game. The first CYL poll was the most pure popularity poll.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I wonder how much of the Super Smash Bros budget is spent on licensing and copyright.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone got any ideas who in fighter pass 2?
Besides one rumor of Crash Bandicoot which may be the result of twitter manipulations, not much.
Someone did claim there'd be a general direct this week but don't hold you breath for anything Smash if that's true.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Impossible to say who for certain, but these seem to be the names that get thrown around the most:
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Heihachi
Lloyd Irving
2B
Sora
Geno
Crash (probably the most predicted)
A Gen 8 Pokemon
Master Chief
Granted, Sakurai is the master of doing what's unexpected, so this is far from a perfect list of candidates. However, I do think at least 1 or 2 from here will be added.

Krankees

Smash Ace
There's a topic on the gamefaqs board that I'd like to answer, but I'd like to hear others' answers first.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78360903#qp

Archer
Athlete
Baby
Cowboy
Demon
Ghost
Ginger
Humanoid alien
Living sword
Pirate
Samurai
Shapeshifter
Time traveler
Witch / Wizard "
I don't see lawyer anywhere. :estatic:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I'm the only person here who does not expect a Namco character to be DLC anytime soon. Not that I don't want one but considering that Pac-Man was only chosen because Shigeru Miyamoto wanted him during Brawl, Sakurai saying he would drop the character if he had to use the new design, very few spirits, Only getting Mii costumes for DLC in Smash 4 and also saying that were no other choices for a Namco rep, Pac-Man seems like the only character from Namco we may actually get.

I hope to be wrong because I would like to see Klonoa be a playable character but I'm not holding my breath for a new Namco rep.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think I'm the only person here who does not expect a Namco character to be DLC anytime soon. Not that I don't want one but considering that Pac-Man was only chosen because Shigeru Miyamoto wanted him during Brawl, Sakurai saying he would drop the character if he had to use the new design, very few spirits, Only getting Mii costumes for DLC in Smash 4 and also saying that were no other choices for a Namco rep, Pac-Man seems like the only character from Namco we may actually get.

I hope to be wrong because I would like to see Klonoa be a playable character but I'm not holding my breath for a new Namco rep.
That was also back when Sonic, Mega Man, and Snake were the only three third parties to get into Smash.

It's really a different playing field now.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm probably a little late on this, but this would be my ideal Fighters Pass - I'm not even going to bother making a realistic prediction, because I know I'd be WAY off.

https://i.imgur.com/8qEPkxr.png

Not sure about the image quality. If images are broken, my list is Geno, Doomguy, Elma, Dante, Rayman, and Travis Touchdown. (in no particular order)

If I even got one of those characters, I'd be happy, though there are plenty of other characters that I'd like to see. Crash Bandicoot, Bandanna Waddle Dee, or 2B come to mind, though I've only beaten two or three Crash games (not sure whether or not I should count Crash Team Racing), and I haven't played much of Nier Automata, though I have it on Steam.
I'm beyond late, but that pass is LITERALLY a perfect middle ground for both who I really want, who I expect, and who my close friends want. Consider this my gospel.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I don't know about Namco. They are weird.

That comment Sakurai made about them having Pacman in the game made it seem like they weren't really interested in putting more of their characters.

They probably wanted to add Goku but got turned down and no deny Sakurai of any other potential Namco third party that isn't Pacman

D

Deleted member

Perhaps I'd say the same with Capcom, though to be honest we're long overdue. Closest one so far is either Dante or Phoenix, though Sakurai could wedge us over and give us an actual Monster Hunter rep should he change his stance regarding the new worlds thingy. And here I am being wily-nilly about Morrigan

I don't know about Namco. They are weird.

That comment Sakurai made about them having Pacman in the game made it seem like they weren't really interested in putting more of their characters.

They probably wanted to add Goku but got turned down and no deny Sakurai of any other potential Namco third party that isn't Pacman

On the back of my mind, perhaps the only Bamco reps I'd take into consideration are Lloyd, Heihachi or KOS-MOS, though the latter is pretty much in a tight spot since the only thing she has going for her are...you know what, even as her supporter I don't know how remote her chances even are at this time.

Then why did they even consider Goku in the first place since Sakurai has stated that he would only make Smash exclusive to gaming content?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Perhaps I'd say the same with Capcom, though to be honest we're long overdue. Closest one so far is either Dante or Phoenix, though Sakurai could wedge us over and give us an actual Monster Hunter rep should he change his stance regarding the new worlds thingy. And here I am being wily-nilly about Morrigan
Even if Sakurai were dead-set on maintaining the "new worlds" schtick, I could still see him making an exception for Monster Hunter, because let's face it: there's barely any content from that series currently in Smash. Two music tracks, one single character who serves in three roles (Boss, Assist Trophy, and Spirit)... and absolutely nothing else, not even the Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4 have returned yet. A Monster Hunter DLC character would have no problems bringing in a stage and more music and spirits.

D

Deleted member

Even if Sakurai were dead-set on maintaining the "new worlds" schtick, I could still see him making an exception for Monster Hunter, because let's face it: there's barely any content from that series currently in Smash. Two music tracks, one single character who serves in three roles (Boss, Assist Trophy, and Spirit)... and absolutely nothing else, not even the Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4 have returned yet. A Monster Hunter DLC character would have no problems bringing in a stage and more music and spirits.
Well, you could have an argument for the new stage...or you could just re-use assets from Rathalos' boss stage. It's quite easy to make since you have some of the resources at your disposal.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That was also back when Sonic, Mega Man, and Snake were the only three third parties to get into Smash.

It's really a different playing field now.
From what I've seen, nothing seems to have changed regarding Namco so I think my point still stands for now.

Capcom has gotten way more than Namco, at least Base game wise. Two unique fighters, an echo, tons of new remixes for Megaman, tons of spirits and plenty of Mii costumes. I'm expecting a Capcom rep way more than a Namco rep since they seem really involved with Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Capcom has gotten way more than Namco, at least Base game wise. Two unique fighters, an echo, tons of new remixes for Megaman, tons of spirits and plenty of Mii costumes. I'm expecting a Capcom rep way more than a Namco rep since they seem really involved with Smash Bros.
*grins* Perhaps compared to other companies, they seem toi be really, really enthusiastic about the game, no doubt about it. And since they have been getting their reputation back, why not?

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Fighters Pass Concept

1- Suguru Kamoshida
2- Sir Mervyn
3- Bikini Girl (Banjo + Kazooie)
4- Duck King
5- Njörun
6- Jotaro

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Not a bad topic considering where it came from heh.

"Specifics or how broadly you choose to interpret it are up to you. "
Archer - Lara Croft
Athlete - Excitebike
Baby - Baby Mario & Luigi tandem
Cowboy - Dillion (Stretching it here)
Demon - Pig Ganon
Ghost -King Boo
Ginger - Rayman
Humanoid alien - Abe (Abe's Oddworld)
Living sword - Aegislash
Pirate - Tetra
Samurai - Takamaru
Shapeshifter - Rash (Battletoads)
Sibling to someone on the existing roster - Protoman
Time traveler - Crash Bandicoot
Witch / Wizard - Kamek

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
From what I've seen, nothing seems to have changed regarding Namco so I think my point still stands for now.

I mean, I doubt that Bandai-Namco/Sakurai are somehow actively not working with one another on stuff for any reason. It's like all Smash stuff, it's just a matter of priority and ideal circumstances that get various characters into the game to begin with and the absence of certain things doesn't really inherently tell us as much as we'd like to pretend it does. The game has changed for third parties in substantial ways, and more notably, plenty of other franchises have gotten into Smash already, thus clearing the way for the remaining ones in terms of that priority (I'd imagine Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters, for example, took a lot of priority over a Tales rep).

Also, Pac-Man was the "only rep" in the sense that like... how the **** are you going to go to Bandai-Namco and not get Pac-Man. For an entire generation of players, he's one of the most/if not the outright most recognizable video game character ever. Everybody knows Pac-Man, and the only series that even comes close from Bandai-Namco's staple of IPs is Tekken and Sakurai stated his issues with Heihachi at that time, thus it came back around to Pac-Man who was really always going to be the frontrunner.

I don't agree with the whole concept of Capcom being more likely because they got more base game content either. One company working with Nintendo/Sakurai at one time period doesn't really impact another company if Sakurai wants them. Capcom and Konami got all of the attention for base game while Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai-Namco all got practically nothing. That just communicates that they worked on those two companies primarily for adding content in the base game as opposed to some idea that they are "more invested" in Smash than the other three. Especially when Square Enix and Sega would also both get more content via DLC. You can point to the lack of Bandai-Namco in the Fighter's Pass maybe, but again, it depends on so many circumstances that it's really hard to gauge why we haven't gotten another Bandai-Namco fighter yet.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i have seen people say they dont want dante because they dont want another bayonetta combo crazy character. but dantre doesn't combo in his games vertically like bayonetta does. generally, he takes an enemy up and then he brings them back down. you can see that when you watch videos of people that have mastered the combat in each game.

also if dante got in id expect him to have frame data worse than Bayonetta does.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll say this: if Sakurai has the chance to represent Heihachi, and doesn't because he can't figure out a gimmick that represents 3D fighting/the limb system, he's an idiot. Just make him a regular freaking fighter, you don't have to translate every game's gameplay to Smash in some way.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
i have seen people say they dont want dante because they dont want another bayonetta combo crazy character. but dantre doesn't combo in his games vertically like bayonetta does. generally, he takes an enemy up and then he brings them back down. you can see that when you watch videos of people that have mastered the combat in each game.

also if dante got in id expect him to have frame data worse than Bayonetta does.
I suspect relatively few people are operating from good faith when they make that argument or don't realize that the inherent issue with trying to argue that Sakurai is suddenly going to break the balance of the most well balanced game in Smash history with the highest number of characters ever in that same series in adapting Dante or Sora in the game. Yes, both these characters inherently end up using aerial based combos in their own games. No, that does not mean that has to be 1:1 brought over to Smash in order to make them "true to the game" or even adapt them outright. You can give them abilities that are true to the game that are fun to play with, without breaking the game.

Dante has a tendency to wield heavier weapons and Sora wields a heavier key blade compared to Bayonetta anyway, thus you're less likely to run into the primary issues that Bayonetta had since she was quick jab based with the ability to follow up on tons of combos. And she would have been fixed anyway had Ultimate not been made and the development team moved on.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
What's up people

I was wavering on this before but now I'm absolutely positive a series already in smash is getting another rep. Not just from the same company but the same series too. This applies to both 1st and 3rd party picks.

Potential candidates (in no real order): Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Fire Emblem again lol

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I legit forget that Monster Hunter is even IN smash sometimes that's how little presence that series has in the game.

I don't agree with the whole concept of Capcom being more likely because they got more base game content either. One company working with Nintendo/Sakurai at one time period doesn't really impact another company if Sakurai wants them. Capcom and Konami got all of the attention for base game while Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai-Namco all got practically nothing. That just communicates that they worked on those two companies primarily for adding content in the base game as opposed to some idea that they are "more invested" in Smash than the other three. Especially when Square Enix and Sega would also both get more content via DLC. You can point to the lack of Bandai-Namco in the Fighter's Pass maybe, but again, it depends on so many circumstances that it's really hard to gauge why we haven't gotten another Bandai-Namco fighter yet.
I'm So used to Dragon quest in smash at this point that I forget that during launch Square enix's presence felt nonexistent in the game.
Good times.

Ya’ll remember BitTrip in Smash 4
That series did kinda fall into obscurity didn't it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

They probably get that idea because he and Bayonetta were created by the same person.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I’m going to say it now, coming from a former MAJOR detractor before the reveal.

After playing Three Houses some more, I can now safely say that Byleth is tied with Banjo (potentially even more) for my favorite inclusion in the FP (after Joker). Maybe we shouldn’t get anymore FE reps, but Three Houses is so incredible that it honestly makes me really happy that Byleth is now playable. I can safely say now the Fighters Pass is 5 out of 5.

I apologize to any supporters I have offended in the past.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I suspect relatively few people are operating from good faith when they make that argument or don't realize that the inherent issue with trying to argue that Sakurai is suddenly going to break the balance of the most well balanced game in Smash history with the highest number of characters ever in that same series in adapting Dante or Sora in the game. Yes, both these characters inherently end up using aerial based combos in their own games. No, that does not mean that has to be 1:1 brought over to Smash in order to make them "true to the game" or even adapt them outright. You can give them abilities that are true to the game that are fun to play with, without breaking the game.

Dante has a tendency to wield heavier weapons and Sora wields a heavier key blade compared to Bayonetta anyway, thus you're less likely to run into the primary issues that Bayonetta had since she was quick jab based with the ability to follow up on tons of combos. And she would have been fixed anyway had Ultimate not been made and the development team moved on.
i do expect dante to combo like they do in thier source games. becuase every 3rd party character does. ken, bayonetta, ryu, and terry all combo much like they do in source games. They are all (minus ryu) watered-down versions of thier combos but they are very accurate in style and spirit of the character and reflects the source games. the most complex part of dante is style switch and thats the part im curious to see if its added assuming he gets int smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I’m going to say it now, coming from a former MAJOR detractor before the reveal.

After playing Three Houses some more, I can now safely say that Byleth is tied with Banjo (potentially even more) for my favorite inclusion in the FP (after Joker). Maybe we shouldn’t get anymore FE reps, but Three Houses is so incredible that it honestly makes me really happy that Byleth is now playable. I can safely say now the Fighters Pass is 5 out of 5.

I'm glad the game could convince you! It's nice to see people change their minds with a bit of experience with the character. Thanks for being open-minded.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Archer
Athlete
Baby
Cowboy
Demon
Ghost
Ginger
Humanoid alien
Living sword
Pirate
Samurai
Shapeshifter
Time traveler
Witch / Wizard "
Time to fill some checkboxes, smash boards favourite passtime :D

Archer: Claude. Best Archer.
Athlete: ring fit adventures protagonist
Baby: Baby Metroid, it can screeeeee on it's enemies.
Cowboy: the farmer from harvest Moon I guess (?)
Demon: Morrigan Aensland
Ghost: Mipha (botw)
Ginger: Urbosa (BOTW)
Humanoid alien: can't put spoilers cause mobile, but let's say a particular XBCX character... Although I would actually love "L" too.
Living sword: Nightmare from soul Calibur IV is basically just soul edge.
Pirate: Tetra from wind waker
Samurai: Lyn, not exactly a samurai, but honestly fights like one.
Shapeshifter: Alucard (wolf form, bat form and mist form)
Sibling to someone on the roster: Dixie Kong (more like cousin, but it works I guess)
Time Traveller:does Frisk from undertale counts? I mean you cannonically get back to the beginning of the game in each playthrough.
Witch/wizard: Escha from atelier Escha & Logy ... Ateliers alchemy have some pretty witch like elements.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

P5, Dragon quest 11, Banjo Kazooie and Three houses are all borderline masterpieces, so she's among friends in that regard.

I would count Terry but there's only like 2 Mark of the wolves references in ultimate

Faso115

Smash Lord
Of the characters i think have a decent shot to happen in FP2 are Crash and Dante. Tho if you ask me, i would prefer Capcom used someone a little more obscure, like Morrigan. Hell, if Morrigan happened it would be salt to the wound for Mai Shiranui.

As for random character pick that is never gonna happen but i totally want it anyway: Rick the Hamster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom