• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion: I wish I hadn't seen someone's stash of thirsty Byleth fanart when I logged on this website today.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only reason why I pick female Byleth is a free Sylvain recruit and more marriage options among the characters. Male Byleth otherwise is superior in every way.

D

Deleted member

The only reason why I pick female Byleth is a free Sylvain recruit and more marriage options among the characters. Male Byleth otherwise is superior in every way.
Ahahahaha...One of these days I'mma try the male avatar for once. One of these days...

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
This post was warned and merged for double posting.
I can't explain it but on the exception of Skyrim and Mass Effect, my avatars tend to be women. Plus I was so stoked when I found out Sylvain joins for free when playing female Byleth

Unpopular opinion: I wish I hadn't seen someone's stash of thirsty Byleth fanart when I logged on this website today.
Point me to it so I know what to stay away from

D

Deleted member

I can't explain it but on the exception of Skyrim and Mass Effect, my avatars tend to be women. Plus I was so stoked when I found out Sylvain joins for free when playing female Byleth
For a little bit of style, I kept asking myself during my playthrough, "Why would you even bother recruiting other students if you're just going to be 5-8 levels above your crew?"

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If we get Sora as a fighter how about putting Parasol Beauty as a Peach with laser beams?
Parasol_Beauty_KHIII.png

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Male Byleth really does need more love. He really pulls off the "stoic mercenary" look that his character is all about. Female Byleth just has an overall worse design, with her bug sized eyes and her questionable choice in apparel. Why didn't she get the same exact clothing as Male Byleth? Anyways, no offense to the people that like her, of course.

Also, I feel like people like to neglect the male versions of Avatars. Have you ever seen the thumbnails of Byleth reaction videos on YouTube? 9 times out of 10 they use the F!Byleth render despite M!Byleth being the default. I wouldn't even complain if they use the both of them side by side, but that's not the case. It's just F!Byleth, F!Byleth, F!Byleth. Same case goes for tier lists. Sometimes they use the female alts despite there being no point in choosing them over the default male alts. It all just comes down to preference I guess, but I don't know why I'm just so easily bothered by it.

Anyway, when are we getting Kris and Kiran for Smash? Kris is the only avatar yet to make an appearance anywhere else, whether it be Smash or Fire Emblem Heroes. I always see people making art of the Avatars together, yet just about anyone who's not a Japanese artist forgets to draw them. I don't blame them since FE12 wasn't localized in the west, but it'd be cool to see some (Male) Kris art. Female Kris is fine, but I'll probably take back my words once she starts to overshadow Male Kris like F!Byleth did with M!Byleth, and F!Robin did with M!Robin at one point.

Kiran would be cool as an assist trophy, but I'll settle for M!Robin's White Mage alt getting replaced by an alt based off Kiran's color scheme. I don't see Kiran becoming a fighter anytime soon, but it'd be pretty cool if he made it in sometime in the future.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Male Byleth really does need more love. He really pulls off the "stoic mercenary" look that his character is all about. Female Byleth just has an overall worse design, with her bug sized eyes and her questionable choice in apparel. Why didn't she get the same exact clothing as Male Byleth? Anyways, no offense to the people that like her, of course.

Also, I feel like people like to neglect the male versions of Avatars. Have you ever seen the thumbnails of Byleth reaction videos on YouTube? 9 times out of 10 they use the F!Byleth render despite M!Byleth being the default. I wouldn't even complain if they use the both of them side by side, but that's not the case. It's just F!Byleth, F!Byleth, F!Byleth. Same case goes for tier lists. Sometimes they use the female alts despite there being no point in choosing them over the default male alts. It all just comes down to preference I guess, but I don't know why I'm just so easily bothered by it.

Anyway, when are we getting Kris and Kiran for Smash? Kris is the only avatar yet to make an appearance anywhere else, whether it be Smash or Fire Emblem Heroes. I always see people making art of the Avatars together, yet just about anyone who's not a Japanese artist forgets to draw them. I don't blame them since FE12 wasn't localized in the west, but it'd be cool to see some (Male) Kris art. Female Kris is fine, but I'll probably take back my words once she starts to overshadow Male Kris like F!Byleth did with M!Byleth, and F!Robin did with M!Robin at one point.

Kiran would be cool as an assist trophy, but I'll settle for M!Robin's White Mage alt getting replaced by an alt based off Kiran's color scheme. I don't see Kiran becoming a fighter anytime soon, but it'd be pretty cool if he made it in sometime in the future.
Same with Corrin.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'll probably end up playing default male Blep
but not because I like Male Blep more
but more that i don't care for his other recolors, and that almost everyone else is gonna hog all the female colors anyway
i want to at least attempt to feel original =v

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Same with Corrin.
Oh yeah, definitely. I'd say I like the both of them equally, but I actually lean towards Female Corrin just a bit. It's probably because I never played Fates (yet) and that I never self-inserted myself onto them like I did with Robin, Byleth, Kris, Mark, and Kiran, so I don't really feel much of a kinship with them. That's probably why I'm more lenient towards seeing Corrin depicted as female than the aforementioned being depicted as female instead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed that male avatars need more love but I can get behind the hype over female Byleth. She's the first female newcomer in a while and most of the base game ones were clones one way or another.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
In light of Season 2, who are your ideal 6? For me it's:

Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed II, BH, RE)
Kazuya Mishima/Devil (Tekken)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

I realise I've got a 4:2 split on Western to Eastern characters. Evidently if I was in charge of Nintendo DLC Marketing I'd flop in Japan, but these are some colossal franchises which are way past overdue some Smash representation in terms of a full character.

Also anyone see what Sabi tweeted this morning? Basically just "I have been told news about the Nintendo Direct coming up but I shall not leak it, I shall let my competition leak it." Jesus Christ lol. How can someone be so full of ****?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%

Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

I realise I've got a 4:2 split on Western to Eastern characters. Evidently if I was in charge of Nintendo DLC Marketing I'd flop in Japan, but these are some colossal franchises which are way past overdue some Smash representation in terms of a full character.

Also anyone see what Sabi tweeted this morning? Basically just "I have been told news about the Nintendo Direct coming up but I shall not leak it, I shall let my competition leak it." Jesus Christ lol. How can someone be so full of ****?
The main two I would like to see is Phoenix Wright and PaRappa. Phoenix Wright especially because I think he "deserves" it at this point and would be easier to get in than PaRappa himself.

Other than that, I'm not really too picky on the last four, but I think if Smash is now a celebration of gaming, then Resident Evil should get a character too. Chris, Jill, or Leon, but I'm leaning towards Jill so that we could get a pure female character. It's not necessary, but it'd be really nice to see. I also think we could go for another retro pick. I'd also appreciate the Legend of Zelda or Kirby getting another "rep" since they're actually really long due for one. Donkey Kong too. And Star Fox.

Yeah... the roster could be better, but it's still pretty great as is. I already got 3 of my most wanted (Robin, Hero, Byleth), so I'm pretty content with my fighter wishlist.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

Here's mine:
Fighter 6: Bandana Dee (Kirby, 1st Party)

Fighter 7: Amaterasu (Okami, 3rd Party)

Fighter 8: Poochy (Yoshi, 1st Party)

Fighter 9: Crash (Crash Bandicoot, 3rd Party)

Fighter 10: Shake King (Wario, 1st Party)

Fighter 11: Heavy (Team Fortress, 3rd Party)
(3 First Parties & 3 Third Parties.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I have many specific characters I really support after Joker and Byleth. I just hope a few things from FP Vol 2:

1. A Capcom newcomer
2. A newcomer from a 'recent' franchise
3. Overall, diverse newcomers that bring in brand new games to Smash. I think first pass did a fine job at it, so I'm sure I'll like the next one, too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey,at least they're in the game.....
Sill hurts.
RE getting Spirits was cool.

People jumping on the "Sakurai made them Spirits because they have no moveset potential!" train wasn't.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Wait, did RE get spirits already? I feel like I remember seeing the event, but at the same time I don't.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About all the Rex talk, I think he's fair game. I wouldn't bet on him for being in the second pass, but I could totally see him happening, specially after Byleth.

XC2 soundtrack is so good and we need more songs from the game in Smash. Also, I will say that I honestly don't think that we're getting a Xenoblade character as DLC that isn't Rex. It's a bit of shame for Elma because his game barely has content in the game. But I find super unlikely to get a character from the remaster of Xenoblade 1. While it's the most popular game in the serie, the Definitive Edition is a sort of remake, possibly with new content and that's all.

Including another character for a game that originally released 10 years ago "only" to promote the upcoming remaster seems a bit far fetched to me. For the record I'd be happy with another Xeno character, it's a franchise that I really like and the first one is one of the best experiences I had. Of course, I respect people who wants Fiora in Smash, I like her, but I honestly don't think Sakurai or Nintendo will add her because there's a remaster. imo Rex is the only one with decent chances to be as DLC.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

If I got to handpick whoever I wanted? Oh honey.

Challenger Pack 6: Sora

Challenger Pack 7: Urshifu

Challenger Pack 8: Paper Mario

Challenger Pack 9: Cooking Mama

Challenger Pack 10: Euden from Dragalia Lost

Challenger Pack 11: BotW Zelda (Uses champion abilities to fight among other things.)

It’s a hot mess but I’d literally be squealing with joy.
Also, as a side/add-on challenge: A Fighter Pass Vol. 3, but they are all Echoes and there’s only 3.

1. Dixie as Diddy Echo
2. Impa as Sheik Echo
3. Octoling as Inkling Echo

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

Challenger Pack 6: Doom Slayer (Bethesda/id; Doom)

Challenger Pack 7: Soul of Cinder (Bandai Namco/Fromsoft; Dark Souls)

Challenger Pack 8: Waluigi (Nintendo; Mario)

Challenger Pack 9: Garchomp & Cynthia* (Nintendo/TPCi; Pokemon)

Challenger Pack 10: Dante (Capcom; Devil May Cry)

Challenger Pack 11: Crash Bandicoot (Activision; Crash)

Garchomp & Cynthia would be promotion for a Gen IV remake, and could work like Ice Climbers or Rosalina & Luma, except the input 'dependent' Garchomp would be much stronger than the input 'independent' Cynthia, rather than weaker (like Luma to Rosalina) or the same strength (like Nana to Popo)

Waluigi would specifically be a celebration of the Mario spinoffs, with a moveset drawing references from Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis/Strikers/etc.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Abe (Abe's Oddysee)
Lu Bu (Warriors)
Spyro the Dragon

I've already done this before so I might as well post it again because this sort of thing is fun.

My fighters pass vol 2 wish list.png

My fighters pass vol 2 wish list without Doom Guy.png

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Doom Slayer version any day. Are there people who unironically want another Akira Toriyama designed JRPG character to be added?
"How dare people want this thing, we already have this superficially similar other thing!"

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Doom Slayer version any day. Are there people who unironically want another Akira Toriyama designed JRPG character to be added?
Crono is cool though and comes from one of the best JRPGs of all time! So I do unironically want him!

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Crono is cool though and comes from one of the best JRPGs of all time! I so do unironically want him!
Fair enough -- I would rather have had Chrono over a DQ character -- but I can see a lot of people being pretty peeved at one of the FPv2 reps being (visually) identical to one of the FPv1 reps, on top of being another JRPG sword rep; regardless of the uniqueness of his design or the quality of his home series.

If only there were no such thing as 'slots' and everyone got their character (my personal JRPG pick was Isaac, whom I suspect was passed up due to his superficial similarities to Hero, a problem Chrono has doubly).

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Fair enough -- I would rather have had Chrono over a DQ character -- but I can see a lot of people being pretty peeved at one of the FPv2 reps being (visually) identical to one of the FPv1 reps, on top of being another JRPG sword rep; regardless of the uniqueness of his design or the quality of his home series.

Byleth said hi.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Let's note we don't know if Nintendo made the picks for Season 2 as well. They probably did, but we have zero information.

We really know nothing beyond the fact they'll have stages and music. I can't remember if they noted MIi costumes and Spirit boards too among the advertisements(and to be fair, the chances of those not happening are slim to none).

I hope we find out within this month or February.
I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure Sakurai said that Nintendo was involved again.

I’ll have to check when I get the chance to do so.
It has been known since September of last year.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171811274285387776

According to Sakurai, Nintendo picked them.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion. I think Smash should have more Japan only/ obscure characters to introduce people to. Remember when Melee introduced the Western world to Fire Emblem? How many people here learned about the Mother series through Smash? We need more of that.

Terry was kind of that.
More of this please.

Felt like doing a thing. Here's a chart showcasing my thoughts on several potential DLC characters and how likely I believe they are. I feel like I've covered every possible character here, so I'll be surprised if Season 2 has someone that isn't here.

Was planning on posting it earlier, but then Doom Guy got very denied. And then I found out that the December 2021 deadline may not be when the pass actually ends, so Sylux isn't as likely anymore (still have faith on Metroid Prime 4 being a Holiday 2021 title). I also realized it was redundant for me to include Assist Trophies and Spirits here because they were clogging up the surprise side, so I removed them. I contemplated adding more characters, but I feel like I would've been going into uncharted territory from there, so I stopped with what I have here.
>Kiryu in go away

Why u gotta do my boy like this?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
My point exactly -- though Sakurai seemed to be quite aware that would cause some controversy

I'd say he was. He even had to state "I hope there's no hard feelings" at the beginning of the video reveal for Byleth.

Byleth was intended to be in smash before Three Houses came out, and he foresaw there would be salt (understandably), so that's probably why Byleth was revealed last.

A lot of people would have bought the season pass by then so it was a calculated decision.

Nintendo picks them, but Sakurai has the final say.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd say he was. He even had to state "I hope there's no hard feelings" at the beginning of the video reveal for Byleth.

Byleth was intended to be in smash before Three Houses came out, and he foresaw there would be salt (understandably), so that's probably why Byleth was revealed last.

A lot of people would have bought the season pass by then so it was a calculated decision.

Nintendo picks them, but Sakurai has the final say.
There's no evidence for Byleth being planned to release before Three Houses launched. And if there's some info about it it's the first time I heard about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom