• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since the discussion shifted to Pokemon, I have a question for you all. If we are to get a Gen 8 Pokemon, which one would you prefer the most?
I think the best choices would be:
  • Corviknight
  • Orbeetle (yes really)
  • Cramorant
  • Toxtricity
  • Zacian & Zamazenta
Keep in mind that I haven't interacted with certain Pokémon quite yet (and won't if they're Pokémon Sword exclusive) so the list would probably add a few should I be able to do so at any point.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I really hope Sakurai doesn't choose Pokemon just because of their type. This is something the fanbase does that irritates me.

We've had Sceptile, Decidueye, and now Rillaboom, and there's absolutely no way you're gonna convince me that people are less concerned about completing a type triangle than they are finding a Pokemon that would fit well in a game like Smash.
I'm still annoyed that Decidueye almost made it in! I would have loved to see Decidueye become playable. He is one of my favourite pokemon in recent gens.

Well of course I’d love for Crono to be playable! He is one of the original 2 characters I’ve wanted since SSB64!

For Ultimate I either wanted a more realistic Hero OR Crono, but if Crono were to become playable, I’d lose my mind (and co-main both).

Sakurai Seems like a big CT fan, something has to come out of that. Any kind of something.

From the Square-Enix side it looks less feasible..
That sounds good for Crono's chances if Sakurai is a big fan of Chrono Trigger. I'm just worried that Square Enix won't be on board since it is a dormant series. I mean they have been shown to be cooperative but that's only gone as far to their most successful franchises so it seems they'll only be cooperative if it's in their best interests. I have yet to see them do anything for fan demand.

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
The Pokemon Company announced at E3 2017 that they were working on a new pokemon game for the nintendo switch and they were refering to Sword & Shield

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You can tell how much of the Smash community haven't touched a non-Nintendo console in their lives when you hear that Crash Bandicoot isn't iconic.
Gonna be honest I had no idea who Crash was when he was actually relevant. But I can assure you I had a PlayStation and a PS2. And ironically I loved Spyro. I just missed the boat on Crash somehow. I also definitely never saw those commercials everyone talks about. What channels did they air on? Tbh I don’t really remember seeing any video game commercials at all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Do you guys hear something?

Uh oh

They're coming

All that buildup for "We're having trouble finding this page". lol

I know Konga Beat isn't the best final smash but the unused model was likely planned to return to ultimate
They're not gonna give Rillaboom a pair of bongos.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
As for me I prefer Toxtricity the most. He's my favorite Pokemon of this generation and the potential I see from his moveset has me interested in seeing him playable. In terms of gimmicks I see two possible gimmicks that might be incorporated for Toxtricity, either rhythm based attacks with the strings on his chest, or form switching between Amped and Low Key. The latter might not be likely, but considering Sakurai incorporated stuff that don't happen in the source material like Rebel's Guard for Joker then it's possible it could happen if Sakurai puts his mind into it.

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone find it strange that Sylux and Adeleine & Ribbon don't have spirits, Kirby Star Allies on switch and Metroid Prime 4 in development

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Rillaboom's gigantamax form is most likely going to have a g-max move, and it could be better than Donkey Kong's konga beat
So far, all the G-Max moves look the same as the other Max moves. They just have different secondary effect. So whatever his G-Max move is, it's going to look the same as Max Overgrowth.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know Konga Beat isn't the best final smash but the unused model was likely planned to return to ultimate
Even if Rillaboom got in Smash, I doubt his FS would be anything like Konga Beat.

If I had to take a wild guess, it would probably involve Rillaboom summoning vines to cover the stage. If not that, then a cutscene depicting exactly that.

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 the pokemon direct a few weeks ago showed gigantamax forms for Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon. The final smash for Rillaboom is probably going to be the g-max move

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As for me I prefer Toxtricity the most. He's my favorite Pokemon of this generation and the potential I see from his moveset has me interested in seeing him playable. In terms of gimmicks I see two possible gimmicks that might be incorporated for Toxtricity, either rhythm based attacks with the strings on his chest, or form switching between Amped and Low Key. The latter might not be likely, but considering Sakurai incorporated stuff that don't happen in the source material like Rebel's Guard for Joker then it's possible it could happen if Sakurai puts his mind into it.
Online is the only reason why I think a rhythm-based character would suck.

I wouldn't even want this for a Rhythm Heaven character, as much sense as it would make.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Since the discussion shifted to Pokemon, I have a question for you all. If we are to get a Gen 8 Pokemon, which one would you prefer the most?
I'd want them to go with a stranger choice than just another starter. The two I'd like most are Stonjourner (a giant rock golem that kicks) and Mr.Rime (Charlie Chaplin but with ice powers). Of the semi-realistic choices... Cinderance or Toxtricity?

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Alcremie or Inteleon for preference wise. Also their G-Max forms can be a cool Final Smash.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Dragapult would be my most wanted - it could use a mixture of projectiles, aerial manoeuvres and various sneak attacks to reflect its ghost typing

I'd love Dracovish too

StarStar

Banned via Warnings
Toxtricity can be like Byleth

Byleth Odd costumes male and Even costumes female

Toxtricity Odd costumes amped and Even costumes low key

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Rillaboom would be really fun to use so long as they don't force a rhythm gimmick, but I'd love to see a Smash take on Chang Koehan's moveset from KoF with a different flair to it.
Inteleon would be really cool as a fast but weak zoner/trap based character. take notes from NRS Kappa
Toxtricity would be really fun making use of a bunch of sound based moves and maybe having a poison/stun effect on a select few moves.
Grimmsnarl I could see having a super aggressive moveset with a few tricky moves and maybe take a few notes from Venom but using it's hair in place of the Symbiote where applicable

D

Deleted member

Crash Bandicoot just isn’t an icon of gaming to me, nor his franchise. Fun? yes. Popular? yes. An icon? Debatable.
Alright so the Crash Bandicoot franchise has sold over 160 million dollars worldwide as of 2011 outselling the likes of Kirby (35.8 million), The Legend of Zelda (119.53 million according to here), Resident Evil (93 million according to here), Street Fighter (45 million according to here), Final Fantasy (144.4 million according to here) and Smash Bros itself (56.88 million according to here).

I would consider something like the Legend of Zelda an iconic franchise in the gaming industry so wouldn't that make Crash Bandicoot more of an Icon than say Link? What about it outselling the likes of Final Fantasy and Cloud? Kirby? Street Fighter/Ryu? Crash would be much more of an icon than all of them just talking sales wise.

There's a reason people call him iconic and that's quite frankly because he is with these sales numbers and how well the N'-Sane trilogy has done (10 million units according to Wikipedia) he's not a Cartoon Animal mascot he's the Cartoon Animal mascot. He's highly requested for a reason and he absolutely is iconic the term "iconic to gaming" within itself is subjective but if there's a few characters that would be objectively iconic to the gaming industry Crash would absolutely be one of those few up there with Sonic and Mario.

And that's that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Crash is definitely big and iconic enough to get into Smash.

But let's not get crazy and say he's on the level of Mario and Sonic. If I'm comparing him to anyone's popularity, it would be closer to Donkey Kong.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Obviously, the only valid newcomer from Sword and Shield is the undefeated Champion Leon™ and his unbeatable Charizard™.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I love several Pokemon, especially new Galar ones, I kinda hope we get a trainer to go along with the next one we get. I was really pushing for Guzma and Golisopod in base, and SwSh has tons of really awesome trainers and side characters that are super memorable to me. It'd be fun to get a little variety.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
As much as I love several Pokemon, especially new Galar ones, I kinda hope we get a trainer to go along with the next one we get. I was really pushing for Guzma and Golisopod in base, and SwSh has tons of really awesome trainers and side characters that are super memorable to me. It'd be fun to get a little variety.
So what you're saying is Ball Guy in the background for Baboom

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think the best choices would be:
  • Corviknight
  • Orbeetle (yes really)
  • Cramorant
  • Toxtricity
  • Zacian & Zamazenta
Keep in mind that I haven't interacted with certain Pokémon quite yet (and won't if they're Pokémon Sword exclusive) so the list would probably add a few should I be able to do so at any point.
-I'm also of teh opinion that Corviknight could have been an amazing smash newcomer and quite unique. just by having to adapt a birdlike pokemon. Plus Crows and Knights? you can go crazy there.
-Alcremie is a personal favorite.
-Dragapult would also be weird as hell which i think is a very positive trait for a posible pokemon rep.
_if we cant have amateratsu nor lycanrock? i'm willing to take Zacian or Zamazenta.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It's going to be funny once Waluigi or Geno gets in and the people going on about Spirits deconfirm come up with some wacky reason as to how they're the only exception or use some weird lore reasoning to justify it like "Geno is in because he posseses a puppet that doesn't count".
And what if they don't

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I know a lot of people think a Gen VIII is likely because they put Byleth into Smash, but I really don't think it's happening for two reasons:
  1. We already have a new Pokemon for this game with Incineroar. I imagine that they always planned to put a new Fire Emblem character in the game since the beginning, but couldn't do it at base due to how things worked out. They already managed to put in a new Pokemon with Incineroar, so I don't think there's any real need for them to include another one.
  2. We not too long ago got a set of Sword & Shield Spirits. Yeah I know that there are more new Pokemon in the games than that they could use as Spirits, but as we can see with Three Houses, they didn't have a Spirit Event for that before Byleth, because they were already planned to be included as DLC. If that were true for a new Gen VIII Pokemon, we wouldn't have gotten a Spirit Event for Sword & Shield whatsoever.
I’ve already responded to those points in different posts, but I can quickly do it again.

Spirits, while considered a “replacement” for trophies, are functionally different from trophies. They aren’t a 3D model to look at. They are meant to work as a concept of a character or idea, whereas trophies did not have this function.

There is also the finding that, to this date, we have been shown that particular spirits have been saved for particular times, shown by the Fire Emblem Three Houses spirits. These are different compared to the Astral Chain and Pokémon Spirits that we’re released without a character. This would be inconsistent will all other Challenger Packs.

We aren’t always going to be directly given an official “disconfirmation”. However, that’s more or less irrelevant. Sometimes, we have to make inferences based on the information in front of us. We don’t need the man to say something for it to be official. That’s been made clear with the first pass. More than anything, this is literally what “speculation” is- coming to conclusions about what certain things mean or what they don’t mean.

If it happens once, then while I wouldn’t be correct, I would likely view it as an exception. If it happens more than once, then sure...I would think of it more loosely. I’d also like to reiterate that there are characters I would love to be upgraded, but I simply don’t think it’s going to happen based on what I’ve read.

The points I made (all protags, from relevant games, Sakurai counting Spirits as the crossover, DLC characters needing to bring in all that new material and it making sense thematically) are measured and factually accurate. Does it 100% mean they will continue? Eh, maybe, maybe not. But I think to just look at it and say, “lol no”? I don’t think that’s really giving the argument a fair shake.

I think it’s fair if you disagree. But the eventual proof I suppose is in the pudding. To be honest I’d rather talk about something else.
Okay, I'm very confused as to what your point is with all this. Are you arguing that Spirits straight up disconfirm characters, or are you arguing that Spirits getting upgraded is mostly unlikely? Because I keep getting mixed signals from you. You keep making arguments that support the idea that Spirit upgrades flat-out aren't happening, bringing up past precedent and inference, yet you claim that that's not the point you're making. You say that it's possible that Spirits could get upgraded, yet you bring up all sorts of evidence to show that it isn't happening.

So which is it? Are you saying it's not possible or are you saying it's not likely? If it's the former, you're wrong. But if it's the latter, then I agree with you if only due to the sheer number of Spirits in existence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey I finished my Crash moveset.

When Crash appears on the stage, Aku Aku appears beside him, floating in the background beside Crash.

Jab - A quick spin with very little start up, being a frame one or two jab. Mainly used as a get-off-me tool, as per Crash's home games.

Dash Attack - Crash dives forward, with his whole head and torso acting as a hit box.

Up Tilt - Crash pulls a gem out from hammerspace, spinning it on his finger above his head like a basketball, before it disappears. This is a multihit move.

Side Tilt - Crash extends one hand outward and spins on one heel, delivering an exaggerated clothesline-styled slap.

Down Tilt - Crash gets down and performs his slide kick move, similar to Mega Man.

Up Smash - Crash leaps up in the air and does a pose, while Aku Aku flies above him and flies in a small circle rapidly, knocking back anyone who touches him.

Side Smash - Crash pulls out a crystal and starts winding up, holding it like a baseball bat, shaking his hips with his tongue sticking out. Upon release he swings the crystal. If it connects it makes the "crystal obtained" noise.

Down Smash - Crash leaps up in a prone position. While in the air, he spins once, drawing nearby enemies closer, and then slams down on the ground with a body slam. This move creates a small shockwave of splash damage around Crash even outside the area of impact, similar to Byleth's down special with Aymr.

Neutral Air - Crash kicks his legs out on both sides of him, doing a sort of midair split while facing the screen. His legs stretch out a bit more than normal due to his cartoonish nature. This is an exaggerated version of his double jump pose.

Forward Air - Crash faces forward and rapidly spins with his arms outstretched. Stylistically similar to Falco's forward air.

Back Air - Crash kicks out both of his legs behind him in a drop kick, similar to King K. Rool's.

Up Air - Crash flips upside down and does a corkscrew-like kick above him, similar to Samus's up air or Terry's Rising Tackle.

Down Air - A body slam, but unlike the down smash, this one doesn't have the initial spin. Crash just rapidly falls downward. However, should an opponent be hit at the very start of the move, they will get meteor smashed.

Pummel - Crash grabs the opponent and headbutts them.

Forward Throw - Crash grabs the opponent with a single hand, swings them behind their back, and then throws them in front of him, similar to how someone might throw a boomerang. This is meant to show off Crash's Herculean strength.

Back Throw - Crash grabs the opponent with two hands and rapidly spins before throwing them back, similar to Mario.

Up Throw - Crash picks up the opponent and slam dunks them on top of an Arrpw Crate, which then launches them skyward with the "Wumpa Fruit fling" sound effect.

Down Throw - Crash hits the enemy with a flying elbow as a big cartoony fight cloud appears over them, before the grabbed opponent is launched away.

Neutral Special: Death Tornado Spin - By just tapping this move, Crash does a quick spin, like in his jab, but slightly longer and with a different sound effect. However, holding the move will make it become the Death Tornado Spin, which can be held for much longer, does more damage, and allows Crash to move while spinning. As well, the move can reflect projectiles, and if it overlaps an item, including crates produced by Crash's down special, it will fling them forward at the opponent. However, the move does have quite a bit of end lag as Crash overcomes his dizziness. A powerful move with multiple uses, including aiding in horizontal recovery, but it isn't without its drawbacks.

Side Special: Fruit Bazooka - Crash pulls out his bazooka and takes aim. Crash cannot move while using this, but when activated, a reticle appears on the screen. Using the control stick, you can aim the reticle, and pressing the special button again will launch a Wumpa Fruit. This is a fast projectile with considerable power, though Crash is wide open while using the move. The move can be cancelled, however, with a press of the jump or shield buttons, or if Crash is hit during the move.

Up Special: Flying Platform - A small platform appears below Crash and brings him upward, with Crash raising a finger as if to say "up." The platform travels a set distance upward, but Crash can leap off it at any point and isn't put into helpless.

Down Special: TNT Crate - Pressing down special causes Crash to somehow pull a TNT Crate out of his pocket and place it in front of him on the ground. At this point, if anyone touches or jumps on the crate, a three second timer will begin and when it reaches zero, the crate explodes. Attacking the crate will also cause it to explode prematurely, including when hit by Fruit Bazooka. Smashing down special instead will produce a Nitro Crate, which will explode on contact with anything, even if it's not an attack. Up to two Crates can be one the stage at once per Crash (two TNTs, two Nitros, or one of each). Using this in the air will cause it to fall in front of Crash a set distance before exploding.

Final Smash: Aku Aku's Protection - Aku Aku flies in front of Crash and Crash dons him on his face, the iconic power up music playing all the while. He then charges forward and, if he hits the opponent, a cutscene will play wherein Crash rapidly spins into them. As they stay there, dazed, Aku Aku then removes himself from Crash's face and launches a massive, powerful laser at the opponent, causing them to take a huge amount of knockback.

Taunts:
Up Taunt - Crash gets down on one knee with his arms stretched overhead and says "Ta-da!"

Side Taunt - Crash takes out his yo-yo and does a trick.

Down Taunt - Aku Aku flies around Crash as Crash claps his hands.

Victory Animations:
Victory 1 - The Crash Dance. There's no way this ISN'T one of his victory poses.

Victory 2 - Crash hits his chest with his fist before throwing up a crystal, like in his home series...or so he thinks. Instead of a crystal, he throws up a Smash Ball and stares at it, wide-eyed.

Victory 3 - Crash rides in on Polar before hitting a rock, causing Crash to fly in the air and face plant into the ground. Polar then just sort of pokes at Crash's face down body until you leave the result screen.

Losing Screen - Instead of clapping, Crash is pelted over the head with an unending stream of falling crates.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know a lot of people think a Gen VIII is likely because they put Byleth into Smash, but I really don't think it's happening for two reasons:
  1. We already have a new Pokemon for this game with Incineroar. I imagine that they always planned to put a new Fire Emblem character in the game since the beginning, but couldn't do it at base due to how things worked out. They already managed to put in a new Pokemon with Incineroar, so I don't think there's any real need for them to include another one.
  2. We not too long ago got a set of Sword & Shield Spirits. Yeah I know that there are more new Pokemon in the games than that they could use as Spirits, but as we can see with Three Houses, they didn't have a Spirit Event for that before Byleth, because they were already planned to be included as DLC. If that were true for a new Gen VIII Pokemon, we wouldn't have gotten a Spirit Event for Sword & Shield whatsoever.
I don't think the first point is a strong argument when Pokemon has gotten 2 or more newcomers in 3/5 games (4/5 depending on where things go in the second pass). Plus, Mario and FE both got more than one unique newcomer in Smash 4. If they can get two, I think Pokemon should be fine.

The second point I'll skip because it would just open up a whole new debate on Spirits.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Toxtricity, Grimmsnarl, and Cinderace are my top choices for Galar Pokemon. Marnie with Morpeko, Grimmsnarl, and Toxicroak/Scrafty/Obstagoon would've been cool, but I don't see that happening now with the Morpeko spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom