• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Byleth isn't gonna affect FP2 sales. Smash's install base is so, so much more than the angry, screamy people on Twitter and Reddit.

Besides, they're just gonna do what they always do with Smash and start out with a big shock value add that gets everyone worshiping the ground Sakurai walks on and gets everyone to buy it immediately. And then, somewhere along the way, people will inevitably 180 again and say Sakurai is the worst ever because "muh bias" and swear to never buy a Nintendo product again. Until they do.

People are acting like this outrage with Byleth is new for this fandom when It's the same song and dance we always do, and Nintendo just sits here watching this all play out like:

Because they know everyone's gonna buy it no matter what.

People really overestimate how much pull the speculation fandom really has, or how big we even are, for that matter. 99% of people who play Smash don't get as obsessive as we do over leaks, rumors, and guessing, and most people don't get as heated as some do as well. It's just a couple of internet people screaming really loud to puff out their chests and look big.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Byleth isn't gonna affect FP2 sales. Smash's install base is so, so much more than the angry, screamy people on Twitter and Reddit.

Besides, they're just gonna do what they always do with Smash and start out with a big shock value add that gets everyone worshiping the ground Sakurai walks on and gets everyone to buy it immediately. And then, somewhere along the way, people will inevitably 180 again and say Sakurai is the worst ever because "muh bias" and swear to never buy a Nintendo product again. Until they do.

People are acting like this outrage with Byleth is new for this fandom when It's the same song and dance we always do, and Nintendo just sits here watching this all play out like:

Because they know everyone's gonna buy it no matter what.

People really overestimate how much pull the speculation fandom really has, or how big we even are, for that matter. 99% of people who play Smash don't get as obsessive as we do over leaks, rumors, and guessing, and most people don't get as heated as some do as well. It's just a couple of internet people screaming really loud to puff out their chests and look big.
>You will buy it anyway.
>Gamefreak laughs in Sword & Shield

Yeah pretty much, its the same song and dance as it always been. :jigglypuff64::gawmelee::rob::4darkpit::4corrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ok, so a New Capcom rep is a pretty popular pick.

Whats your Top 5 most wanted Capcom characters for next pass?
(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

5) Cody / Guy / Haggar / Maki (Final Fight)
4) Morrigan (Dark Stalkers)
3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe
1) Nathan “Radd” Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Bonus! A new Mii fighter costume for each.

Brawler: Frank West
Gunner: Chris Redfield
Swordsman: Strider Hiryu
Oh! Oh! I love this game!

Capcom is such a wild company in that it's one that could just have its own pass and I'd be happy. Hell, they could have individual series passes and I'd be happy. Observe:

Capcom Pass:
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Mike Haggar
3. Amaterasu
4. Jill Valentine
5. Viewtiful Joe

Mega Man Pass:
1. Roll
2. Proto Man
3. Tron Bonne
4. Bass.EXE
5. Zero

Devil May Cry Pass:
1. Dante
2. Nero
3. V
4. Trish
5. Lady
Bonus Assist Trophy: Nico

Street Fighter Pass:
1. Chun-Li
2. M. Bison
3. Akuma
4. Zangief
5. Juri

etc. etc.

Just give us Smash vs. Capcom already. C'mon.
In the original post I had Arthur instead of Mike Haggar but that spot can be filled by, like, any number of Capcom reps. Rad Spencer, Arthur, Haggar, Strider... If this was just a single all-Capcom pass then that'd be Dante's spot.

StormC

Smash Hero
If the first character announced for Volume 2 is a Joker-tier shocker, everyone will quickly forget about Byleth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Byleth is a tiring topic.

Disliking them doesn't and shouldn't automatically turn you into Hitler, and you're not Jesus Christ for liking them either. You can't let one idiot on Twitter with no respect for an animal's death blind your judgements like that.

The only thing it shows is how much better it is to actually reveal all the content from the very start than hold surprised. No amount of hype publicity is worth **** like that.
Lmao there have been no personal attacks to anyone who dislikes Byleth here today from what I can tell, just that the people who are unhappy are a minority.

Nintendo wouldn't do that as they know people will buy the pass without even revealing what's on it. That being said if you want to wait until you know the lot before buying it, I genuinely believe you're pulling a smart move as that's the whole risk with bull**** mystery DLC, ESPECIALLY if it takes until it's nearly 2022 for it to all be released

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Extremely random thought incoming: Let's say Master Chief gets in Smash... considering the history that Halo has with players tea bagging online*, it would be kind of fitting (mostly a funny reference) if one of his taunts would be him simply tea bagging. It would be kind of ironic also with the fact that tea bagging in Smash became widespread only because of the impossibility to taunt online. But yeah, it'd be 'out of character' for Chief and silly as hell but i'm convinced that most people who played a Halo game online at some point would find the reference hilarious.
As y'all can see, i come here only to talk about the real important stuff, y'know like... the historical significance of tea bagging in video games :4pacman:

*some people say that tea bagging in video games really became a thing with Halo's online multiplayer back in the days.
Smash "is for good gurlz and boiz" so idk if they would do that but it's still a good idea :shades:

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Though I'm not historically a huge fan of Tekken, I do think the series deserves to be part of the roster. And it would give Bamco another representative, which would be appropriate given their extended involvement in the Smash series.

Heihachi when.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

For me, it would be:

1) Dante (Devil May Cry)
2) Amaterasu (Okami)
3) Viewtiful Joe
4) Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
5) Mike Haggar (Final Fight)

...Unsurprisingly, I'm a fan of Hideki Kamiya/Clover/Platinum. Wasn't sure whether to include Resident Evil characters given the whole post-launch spirits debacle, though the main one that I'm familiar with is Leon. (I've only played Resident Evil 4, 5, and a bit of 1's remake and 2's remake)

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Any chance we might get Euden from Dragalia Lost?
Euden is one of those "maybe" characters.

Could help with promotion, but one thing that seems to have never broken is that newer IPs are never introduced in the Smash game within a year or two of their release, which could harm Euden.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Am I the only one who plans to buy Fighter’s Pass vol. 2 before I find out who the first character is?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So what happens if none of the 6 new fighters are 3rd party? Will people cry, scream, or just be disappointed?
I for one would be fine as long as the first party choices are good picks on the whole. Dixie, Captain Toad / Toadette, Tom Nook, there's plenty of non Assist Trophy characters to choose from.

That said I don't think this is likely. At most, we're likely getting mostly third parties again.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1) Phoenix Wright
2) Apollo Justice
3) Jill Valentine
4) Dante
5) Vergil

Bee Card

Smash Ace

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe
1) Arthur
2) Arthur
3) Arthur
4) Arthur
5) Arthur

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So what happens if none of the 6 new fighters are 3rd party? Will people cry, scream, or just be disappointed?
Would not complain. Unless it’s another character from you know where.
But some will say it’s still not enough representation because their waifu is still not in the game. Variety be damned.

D

Deleted member

my ideal fighters pass 2:
1. phoenix wright
2. dante (devil may cry)
3. keisha from alice isn't dead
4. THE GAME GUY
5. a fire emblem character
6. baboom

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think there may be some disappointment since people like a lot of huge third parties, including Nintendo-related ones like Phoenix Wright and such, but if they're cool fighters most won't be too upset. But also it's the Smash fandom, we'll all find something to fight about. lol

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Reactions to this Fighter Pass Vol. 2?

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Ribbon Girl (or Twintelle)
Paper Mario
Geno

Kind of a sordid bunch, but I’m trying to make predictions based of some semblance of a pattern, trends, popularity, and logic. I added Ribbon Girl simply for ARMS and to have a solely female character as DLC. I thought about Lara Croft or Tracer as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

Kind of a sordid bunch, but I’m trying to make predictions based of some semblance of a pattern, trends, popularity, and logic. I added Ribbon Girl simply for ARMS and to have a solely female character as DLC. I thought about Lara Croft or Tracer as well.
I'd give it a 4/6 because I'm the grouch who doesn't think Geno would be a good addition.

Still, not bad at all.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

I kind of feel Paper Mario and Geno should probably be mutually exclusive choices; They can come in eventually, but not as part of the same pass.
Also feel that putting in a secondary character of an IP when the main character isn't playable just to fill an arbitrary gender quota isn't the best idea. Promote Spring Man and make the other ARMS characters Bowser Jr.-style costumes if you're going that route.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

• Dante: Awesome
  • New Pokemon: No thanks
  • Sora: Ew
  • Ribbon Girl: Sure
  • Paper Mario: Cool
  • Geno: Cool
Not too bad.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

The problem with Ribbon Girl is that the "Main characters first" rule would also apply to characters that are essentially poster boys/girls. It's why we got Ryu first and not someone like Zangief or Akuma. Even if Arms did get a chance for a fighter, it would have to be Spring Man first.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

It’s cool.
Don’t personally care for another Mario, but at least his moveset would be drastically different. Pokémon would be predictable, so it’s ok. The rest is gold. I used to support Ribbon Girl but dropped her when Spring Man was revealed as an AT.

Sora and Geno would feel heaven sent, even though I originally didn’t care about them. Now I do.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Nintendo wouldn't do that as they know people will buy the pass without even revealing what's on it. That being said if you want to wait until you know the lot before buying it, I genuinely believe you're pulling a smart move as that's the whole risk with bull**** mystery DLC, ESPECIALLY if it takes until it's nearly 2022 for it to all be released
Eh, it's true. However, the real issue here is making sure that convinces Nintendo to knock it off with the mystery, and after witnessing similar protests like Sword and Shield's leaks and Fates' censorship (both of which I consider to be completely justified), I'm not sure if it can work out.

Also, after about half an hour messing on Photoshop and Paint.net (because the former can't paste transparent backgrounds), I was able to finally make my own prediction card (although logos are messy, but I feel like there wasn't any way to dance around them):
Complete Template.png

What do y'all think?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'd give it a 4/6 because I'm the grouch who doesn't think Geno would be a good addition.

Still, not bad at all.
Thank God. I thought I was the only person who thought Geno would be a poor choice. Mii Costume status fits him sell

I kind of feel Paper Mario and Geno should probably be mutually exclusive choices; They can come in eventually, but not as part of the same pass.
Also feel that putting in a secondary character of an IP when the main character isn't playable just to fill an arbitrary gender quota isn't the best idea. Promote Spring Man and make the other ARMS characters Bowser Jr.-style costumes if you're going that route.
I’ll take Paper Mario over Geno. I feel like he’d offer more. Geno is a bandwagon pick to me. I know some people truly want him, but for the most part I think people just put him on potential list (like myself) to satisfy

• Dante: Awesome
  • New Pokemon: No thanks
  • Sora: Ew
  • Ribbon Girl: Sure
  • Paper Mario: Cool
  • Geno: Cool
  • Not too bad.

• What do you have against Sora and a new Pokémon?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

For me:
1. Dante
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Leon S. Kennedy / Jill Valentine
4. Amaterasu
5. Morrigan or Monster Hunter

If we include secondary characters I would probably put Vergil as 5 lmao

SKX31

Smash Master

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Paper Mario
Geno

Pretty decent overall - I do find it unlikely (one reason why I'm assuming the third party dominance will continue is that there's a lot of companies), but on the whole it's kinda refreshing.

Dante: Heck yes. Showtime baybee!
Sw / Sh Pokemon: Not exactly my first Nintendo choice.
Sora: Yes, love ridicolous combos.
Ribbon Girl / Twintelle: Plus points for variety.
Paper Mario: Eh, I can certainly live with him. Shame though that Nintendo's been really wobbly with the RPG series of late.
Geno: Also eh on him. I'm okay with the character and he could have a fun moveset. Never really clicked though.

I'd give it a, hmm. 4 / 6 overall.

Also, on the Chinese front:

Yeah, Nintendo and Tencent are probably justifiably annoyed by this. If anyone needs a refresher (or reads this for the first time), Nintendo plans to have 10 "First Wave" games released there, with Smash likely to be a "Second Wave" game (guessing late 2020 / early 2021). Odyssey and MK8DX are only the 2nd and 3rd games to see official release there, with games like BOTW, Star Allies and third party titles like Rayman Legends also in the approval pipeline currently.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Eh, it's true. However, the real issue here is making sure that convinces Nintendo to knock it off with the mystery, and after witnessing similar protests like Sword and Shield's leaks and Fates' censorship (both of which I consider to be completely justified), I'm not sure if it can work out.

Also, after about half an hour messing on Photoshop and Paint.net (because the former can't paste transparent backgrounds), I was able to finally make my own prediction card (although logos are messy, but I feel like there wasn't any way to dance around them):
View attachment 259376
What do y'all think?
Extremely solid choices. Congrats!

Can’t see many people complaining, other than people who want more western reps or more 1st party faves.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1. Dante
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Amaterasu
4. Gene (God Hand)
5. Garcian Smith (Killer7)

Tygamer64

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1683-8922-5698
My Guess is
1. Shrek
2. Waluigi
3. Giant DK
4. Bubsy
5. Homer Simpson
6. Masahiro Sakurai Himself
also we will get a Pre Fighter Pass Character (Goomba)

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Posts about fan rules being bull**** get a bunch of likes, but this page is full of main character fan rule posts.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

View attachment 259376
What do y'all think?
Pretty solid to me. Nothing that would make me lose it other than Sora but no bummers either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom