• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have a feeling we may get a direct on the 28, it's a Tuesday and the Nintendo fans that aren't big in Smash are missing it. I also think that if we get it, there might be a character reveal.
I see it being announced but not airing. I'd see it being on Thursday otherwise.

Extremely random thought incoming: Let's say Master Chief gets in Smash... considering the history that Halo has with players tea bagging online*, it would be kind of fitting (mostly a funny reference) if one of his taunts would be him simply tea bagging. It would be kind of ironic also with the fact that tea bagging in Smash became widespread only because of the impossibility to taunt online. But yeah, it'd be 'out of character' for Chief and silly as hell but i'm convinced that most people who played a Halo game online at some point would find the reference hilarious.
As y'all can see, i come here only to talk about the real important stuff, y'know like... the historical significance of tea bagging in video games :4pacman:

*some people say that tea bagging in video games really became a thing with Halo's online multiplayer back in the days.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'll definitely be buying the Fighters Pass Volume 2, but probably only after I've seen who the first character is. Regardless I'll be buying the whole pass but even if it's someone I'm not a fan of (AKA Crash/Tracer) - See above - going to make them the training mode Lvl 1 CPU punching bag.
I'm going to do the same thing.
Joker convinced me to but Fighters' Pass 1.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Mods can delete this if I'm laughably late to this party, but just stumbled upon this gem of a reaction from 2013 to remind everyone that Smash salt is an inevitability we are all doomed to repeat.

Attachments

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'll eventually buy the entirety of Fighters Pass 2 regardless, though I'm probably gonna wait until at least half the characters are revealed (with the first one, I waited and bought it right after Hero and Banjo were revealed)... unless someone really high on my most wanted list is revealed first, in which case I'm buying that **** immediately.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Anybody think this is indicative of what we’ll see going forward?
I imagine the Fighters pass will be mostly lesser request, more "Smaller"/ "Niche" picks but I'd be shocked if we didn't get one of these top requested characters to even the pass out and throw a bone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hot take: no. Byleth was just a coincidence, Doomguy just got deconfirmed yesterday, I doubt most of the third parties save for Crash and Arle (still think Sora’s not happening either way. Dante COULD happen but probably in the rumored third pass, very few can match him hype wise) and the first party ones... I feel like any Nintendo characters at this point would be promotions for things.

examples: Sylux for MP4, Mecha Fiora for XCDE, Elma for a potential XCXDE, Octoling for Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion (which came out in 2018 but Splatoon 2 also teased something big Salmonid-related at the start of the year), maybe a Gen 8 ‘mon (HUGE doubt on that though). I kinda sadly don’t see Bandana Dee happening anymore unless a new Kirby game featuring him is announced soon.

also

>Japan with Gundam

...didn’t that originate as an anime? They’d be in the Goku camp if true

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting until the first character reveal of the second pass before buying, but I'll be buying it whether it's a character I personally want or not. Guess it just feels better to me to buy something I can at least partially see (not including that Mii costume)?

also

>Japan with Gundam

...didn’t that originate as an anime? They’d be in the Goku camp if true
Yup, it started as an anime that premiered in 1979.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
While I doubt that Twitter polls had any substantial influence on Fighters Pass 2... most of these are characters who are generally popular requests anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them ended up making it in.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Mods can delete this if I'm laughably late to this party, but just stumbled upon this gem of a reaction from 2013 to remind everyone that Smash salt is an inevitability we are all doomed to repeat.
To be fair, this was back when the series had only Marth, Roy and Ike to its name.

Another thing to consider in that regard is the fact that only two of those characters were still even in Smash at that point. A lot of people were just under the assumption that Ike was going to get scrapped in favor of Chrom or something, just like how Ike supposedly had taken Roy's place in Brawl. A similar thing with how people thought Lucario was gonna get cut just like how Mewtwo was.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think that the 2nd Fighter Pass will be all popular requests.
Agreed. We only had three popular requests in this pass and I'm sure a lot of people in here ignore the fan demand for Hero and a Three Houses character.

D

Deleted member

I'm just excited to see more Smash content.

The more content It gets, the stronger its title of "biggest crossover ever created" grows.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Even ignoring how Byleth was objectively speaking more positively received than negative, Byleth has nothing to do with V2, therefore, they cannot influence it. You know what can influence V2 though? Whoever they announce for it like how Joker made people want the pass
You can observe Byleth's reception within its own bubble or you can observe the reception in contrast to other character releases. What you did is not "objective" in the sense that it gives an accurate representation of how people have historically felt about character additions (which is obviously important) - but a more simple "the majority" of people liked this video.

Now I'm not saying that the backlash is going to reduce sales because I really don't have a clue. But the climate around smash DLC has definitely shifted and it COULD potentially change how many people invest in the second round of DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can observe Byleth's reception within its own bubble or you can observe the reception in contrast to other character releases. What you did is not "objective" in the sense that it gives an accurate representation of how people have historically felt about character additions (which is obviously important) - but a more simple "the majority" of people liked this video.

Now I'm not saying that the backlash is going to reduce sales because I really don't have a clue. But the climate around smash DLC has definitely shifted and it COULD potentially change how many people invest in the second round of DLC.
If the majority liked it then Byleth's reception was mostly positive. We're using objectivity as we have actual data beyond loud people making a post or two. So yes, objectively speaking, Byleth's reaction was mostly positive as seen with the data backing it up.

Nah they'll just show off a Joker or something unexpectedly pleasant and rake the money in

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I will probably buy the second pass after the reveal of the first character.
That's what I did, I bought the first pass shortly after Joker's announcement.

Even if all six characters are fighters that I'm not excited about I know I will play with them and like them. With the amount of work and details that Sakurai and his team put on the 5 previous DLCs I know I won't regret buying the pass.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The UK video is split in half so its kind of hard to tell whether or not its just two groups of fanboys on a like/dislike war with each other.
Especially in the American video, which now apparently has more dislikes than the Nintendo Switch online video...

Eitherway, I suppose Byleth (or at least the addition of another FE character in general) is overall just a more divisive addition compared to usual.
You either like it, or you don't, or you don't care one way or the other.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, I'm not going to buy the pass until we know who the first character is, doesn't matter if it is someone I am not too fond of like Heihachi or Steve. Smash is like one of few games that I have to get a complete roster no matter what.

D

Deleted member

byleth was objectively a good addition because look at the massive amount of dumb ***** energy she has. can your fave match that? hell no
IMG_20200123_123903.jpg

D

Deleted member

"ohh i wanted dante. papagenos said arle was likely. byleth sucks and is another fire emblem character" shut up look at her. look at he
IMG_20200123_131816.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm buying FP2 Day 1. I have total trust in Sakurai (and Furukawa / Nintendo's other execs) that they can come up with some really fun characters no matter what. Also, I have a history with Battle Passes - having bought Dota 2's big World Championship pass* on a nearly yearly basis.

While it has shifted, Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen has a point here: Byleth's reception was not Infinite Warfare / Battlefront 2 at release / MvCI levels of PR disaster. That matters a lot in this context: yes Byleth's inclusion is divisive, but there's less reason for Nintendo to quickly respond compared to those examples I gave. Infinite Warfare is a particularily strong comparision here since Activision went "Oh crap, people are really tiring of us going in one direction constantly" and shifted gears to more nostalgia: CoD: WW2, Black Ops 4 and the Modern Warfare remake.

If anything, my (wild) guess would be that your Average Joe / Jane isn't going to complain as loudly as the hardcore about the FE swordsmen. Generally, when things are Infinite Warfare levels there's an overwhelming consensus that things are bad. Didn't happen here. Nintendo has enough breathing room to silently shift here. Still: I strongly doubt in all honesty that we're getting another FE rep in a long while simply because A) they have other characters to consider for (likely limited) first party slots B) and now they know of the backlash more fully.

*(Yes, love that game despite the community being really off the rails at points. That pass and its increasing amount crowdfunded for each tournament is the big reason why Fortnite held a $30 Million World Championship last year. And even that got surpassed by last year's crowdfunding.)

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'll eventually buy the entirety of Fighters Pass 2 regardless, though I'm probably gonna wait until at least half the characters are revealed (with the first one, I waited and bought it right after Hero and Banjo were revealed)... unless someone really high on my most wanted list is revealed first, in which case I'm buying that **** immediately.
Joker was all Sakurai needed to show me to get me 100% on board with FP1. If FP2 starts with, like, Phoenix or something, I'm already sold.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Byleth is a tiring topic.

Disliking them doesn't and shouldn't automatically turn you into Hitler, and you're not Jesus Christ for liking them either. You can't let one idiot on Twitter with no respect for an animal's death blind your judgements like that.

The only thing it shows is how much better it is to actually reveal all the content from the very start than hold surprised. No amount of hype publicity is worth **** like that.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm hoping we get a Joker-like teaser trailer that takes us out by initially implying it's a reveal for some other game. That'll get me to buy the pass very quickly

byleth was objectively a good addition because look at the massive amount of dumb ***** energy she has. can your fave match that? hell no
View attachment 259365
Man, if it wasn't for those stupid leggings female Byleth would probably be one of my all time favorite designs for an RPG protagonist. I'm glad she has alts that change them.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ok, so a New Capcom rep is a pretty popular pick.

Whats your Top 5 most wanted Capcom characters for next pass?
(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

5) Cody / Guy / Haggar / Maki (Final Fight)
4) Morrigan (Dark Stalkers)
3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe
1) Nathan “Radd” Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Bonus! A new Mii fighter costume for each.

Brawler: Frank West
Gunner: Chris Redfield
Swordsman: Strider Hiryu

D

Deleted member

(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1)Viewtiful Joe
2)Phoenix Wright
3)Dante
4)Hishenko
5)Arthur

Mii Brawler: Baby Bonnie Hood
Mii Gunner: Pharaoh Man
Mii Swordfighter: Edgeworth

osby

Smash Obsessed

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1. Phoenix Wright
  2. Dante
  3. Frank West
  4. Morrigan
  5. Jill Valentine, because staindgrey staindgrey and Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones deserved it.
Monster Hunter, Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe are honorable mentions. Holy ****, Capcom has so many good picks.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Smash speculation drinking game: Take a shot every time someone brings up this list.

Images that precede disaster.

D

Deleted member

1. Phoenix Wright
  2. Dante
  3. Frank West
  4. Morrigan
  5. Jill Valentine, because staindgrey staindgrey and Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones deserved it.
Monster Hunter, Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe are honorable mentions. Holy ****, Capcom has so many good picks.
Indeed.

They surely have a name on the industry for many great reasons... Even though they had their mistakes for a while.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm buying all the characters regardless, but I'll probably at least do what others are doing and wait until the first character gets revealed. Hopefully the first character will give me a stronger first impression than Joker did.

Personally, Joker didn't sell the first pass for me, and I doubt Terry or Byleth would've done it either. I was mildly interested in a DQ rep, so Hero may have piqued my interest. Banjo...is a character I still have mixed feelings about.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1) Phoenix Wright
2) Dante (Devil may cry)
3) Leon Kennedy (Resident evil)
4) Amaterasu (Okami)
5) Viewtiful Joe

Brawler: Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Gunner: Jill Valentine (Resident evil)
Sword: Arthur (Ghost and goblins)

Status