• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
In all seriousness, if Sakurai decided to make an exception to his "no non-video game characters" rule, Geralt is who I think would be most likely, due to the Witcher video games essentially overshadowing the original novels in popularity.

There is, however, one other fourth party character I wouldn't mind seeing...

... partially because their inclusion would allow some awesome music from another crossover series to come to Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Tinfoil hat time:

Remember when Phil Spencer met with Nintendo execs behind closed doors at E3 and we thought that was for Smash?

The timing for that doesn't line up for Banjo, who would have been decided upon well before that meeting.

But the timing does line up for FP2.

View attachment 258982
Maybe that's how we got Cuphead?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
How would you guys feel if one of the DLC was a 4th party character, but the character had been in video games before. At the same time, the model in smash bros would be based on the character’s video game iteration.
Thats a can of worm that shouls never be open

cosmicB

Smash Ace
How would you guys feel if one of the DLC was a 4th party character, but the character had been in video games before. At the same time, the model in smash bros would be based on the character’s video game iteration.
I would really only accept either borderline examples like Hatsune Miku or ones where the character is more associated with gaming than their original medium like Yugi or Geralt. I really don't want someone like Goku or a comic book character. At that point it ceases to be a celebration of gaming imo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm having trouble envisioning the difference between bendy limbs on regular Steve and bendy limbs on a Steve Mii Costume.
Idk, it’s just, you know how in the Dungeons trailer they only bend in right-angles in one spot in the middle of the arms, and keep the rectangular shape instead of having a rounded elbow? While I guess a Mii costume would keep the shape, it may have another joint for the hand + it and part of the arm could turn differently than the rest of the limb (same with the legs and feet), so I just imagine the limbs having weird clipping issues as a Mii, or looking weird in general because of the hands and feet (though I’m not entirely sure if those joints have to be kept tbh). I guess as a fighter a small part of the limbs may clip into the body like in Minecraft, but it feels more natural-looking to me I guess (in the Dungeons trailer I don’t think they clipped at all - well, maybe the small Illager’s arm with his head in one scene, but it still looked good imo. The Mii costume may have the limbs clipping with themselves and turning weird, since they’d be fitting a rectangular prism over them). Of course, I’d still gladly take it over nothing, and maybe it’d be funny or even look better than I’m thinking, but idk.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Aw, ****, that's a good point.
I mean, Microsoft could be doing more cross promotional stuff with Nintendo in prep for the next gen.

Nintendo and Microsoft don't see the Switch and XBoXBones, or whatever they're called now as competing and Microsoft has a drive to get Nintendo fans to pick up a Series X as their Gen 9(?) console over a PS5.
Could go as far as a whole new character, maybe only an Ori spirit.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I follow your logic though. You'd rather see characters who already have an AT ot Spirit, including the ones you want, miss out on Ultimate altogether because it would ruin "preconceived notions"?
I don't know how else to describe it. It's just something about promotions that would make so many things in the game feel pointless. Like, why even bother with assist trophies and Pokeballs if they're getting turned into fighters anyway? Why bother making hundreds of well thought-out spirit battles based around a character that'll get in anyway? I don't know, I feel like a character like that being added would ruin a lot of the things in the game that I enjoy and make me lose interest. That's just me though, I don't think I can clarify much more without getting too deep.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Smashboards: "I don't want Sora if it means Disney touching getting there grabby little hands on Smash"

Also Smashboards:
In all seriousness, if Sakurai decided to make an exception to his "no non-video game characters" rule, Geralt is who I think would be most likely, due to the Witcher video games essentially overshadowing the original novels in popularity.

... partially because their inclusion would allow some awesome music from another crossover series to come to Smash.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
First the term 4th party isn't a real thing, the more proper term is multi media character.
Second that would be when Smash jumps the shark.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would really only accept either borderline examples like Hatsune Miku or ones where the character is more associated with gaming than their original medium like Yugi or Geralt. I really don't want someone like Goku or a comic book character. At that point it ceases to be a celebration of gaming imo.
Yugi isn't associated with video games though? He's associated with card games.

Wreck-It Ralph is a great example of borderline, similar to Geralt or Miku. Though Miku is actually far closer to being a game character than the others.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't know how else to describe it. It's just something about promotions that would make so many things in the game feel pointless. Like, why even bother with assist trophies and Pokeballs if they're getting turned into fighters anyway? Why bother making hundreds of well thought-out spirit battles based around a character that'll get in anyway? I don't know, I feel like a character like that being added would ruin a lot of the things in the game that I enjoy and make me lose interest. That's just me though, I don't think I can clarify much more without getting too deep.
This reminds me Micaiah doesn't have a Spirit Battle xDU

DoctorHero

Banned via Warnings
Here are my thoughts on future smash ultimate dlc, After Byleth's reveal it made me consider which characters will be in fighter pass 2. Here are my predictions

1. Crash Bandicoot
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1186504943877967872
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1203407675150745601
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1216800286452396033
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1219170163838390273
A correct prediction about Byleth at the January 16 direct, and now another prediction about Crash as challenger pack 6

2. Phoenix Wright
Along with Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry; Phoenix Wright is one of the most popular capcom characters and has ace attorney on nintendo switch, besides we already have resident evil spirit board with main protagonists and I doubt a devil may cry character will make it into smash, having new representation such as Phoenix Wright makes sense especially since ace attorney was on the switch in April 2019

3. Rillaboom
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBU)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rillaboom_(Pokémon)
The grass type pokemon Decidueye was almost chosen as the gen 7, also Rillaboom's gigantamax form is basically Rillaboom with a giant drum set, another
smash character Donkey Kong had an unused model for it's bongo drums for the final smash, in Ultimate it was changed to Jungle Rush, and Rillaboom's gigantamax form will have it's debut in the pokemon sword and shield expansion pass: the isle of armor on June 2020

4. Arle Nadja
https://www.inverse.com/article/622...akurai-tweets-tease-ryu-hayabusa-kos-mos-arle
https://nintendoeverything.com/review-puyo-puyo-tetris/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=QIWOkQcl7UY
Arle Nadja from the puyo puyo series and playable in the game puyo puyo tetris which is on the switch, Arle Nadja is possible in smash, Sakurai played puyo puyo tetris, nintendo and sega have a great relationship, Arle Nadja is a popular character and highly requested for smash bros. in Japan, also that picture with Mario, Daisy, and the dlc characters (prior to Byleth) is interesting, having Mario and the dlc characters in the picture makes, but Daisy threw me off, put Arle Nadja and Daisy next to each other they have similarities, their both female with orange hair

5. Steve
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosU...rai_is_playing_minecraft_steve_confirmed_for/
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3026...experience-of-playing-minecraft-on-the-switch
Steve from minecraft is very likely, especially with nintendo and microsoft relationship, minecraft sales, and Sakurai enjoys minecraft, Steve makes sense

6. Lloyd Irving
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-characters-by-region/
Lloyd Irving from tales of symphonia is the number 1 requested character in Japan, this character is from bandai namco which is the company that developed super smash bros. ultimate, Lloyd Irving is highly likely and I would be shocked if he wasn't in ultimate

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is essentially just the "promoting Assist Trophies and Spirits would just waste all the time and work put into them" argument with different wording... and as I've said before and will keep saying, there's ways to make certain characters playable without removing or significantly altering anything else.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
TBH, I miss the Dark Samus Assist Trophy somewhat.

But I think it's worth it, even with the echo-ing. Makes for more fun matches and I got an amiibo now.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice

Actually you don't need to have Wolverine to have MVC content in the game. Son Son, Ruby Heart, and Amingo could be put in and it would work. It would be neat to see them as a Pokemon Trainer style character actually.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd rather we stick to video game characters, at least for now, but I can't deny I have some morbid curiosity to see how Sakurai would translate Mickey's Magical Quest abilities to Smash.

Of course, that's not happening.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Tinfoil hat time:

Remember when Phil Spencer met with Nintendo execs behind closed doors at E3 and we thought that was for Smash?

The timing for that doesn't line up for Banjo, who would have been decided upon well before that meeting.

But the timing does line up for FP2.

View attachment 258982
So what you're saying is that

sdd.jpg

he's in

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Like, why even bother with assist trophies and Pokeballs if they're getting turned into fighters anyway?
To be fair, THEY PUT SO MUCH WORK INTO ATS THIS TIME is an exaggeration anyway. Smash 4 ATs have recycled models, Brawl ATs are clearly simpler than Ultimate ones (compare Goroh or Lyn to Zero), all the Poke Balls are recycled from 4 regardless of things like Kanto Vulpix being a successor to Fennekin or Spewpa not being as iconic as Wobbuffet who it replaced.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Such is the great debate though: there really is no hard evidence leaning either way about Spirits or ATs disconfiming, with one end having everything from launch up to the end of Fighter's Pass V1 be consistent with no overlaps, and the other hand having list examples that open the door to an adjustment( Knuckles not being an AT and in the background instead for GHZ, Alfonso switing with Tink on Spirit Train, Puppets with Kirby avatars despite him never getting captured in WoL, Chrom etc.)

I also wonder though if it's just how the community does not take kindly to deconfirms at all. To date the one true 100% deconfirmed character has been Mai Shiranui and many were furious about that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Such is the great debate though: there really is no hard evidence leaning either way about Spirits or ATs disconfiming, with one end having everything from launch up to the end of Fighter's Pass V1 be consistent with no overlaps, and the other hand having list examples that open the door to an adjustment( Knuckles not being an AT and in the background instead for GHZ, Alfonso switing with Tink on Spirit Train, Puppets with Kirby avatars despite him never getting captured in WoL, Chrom etc.)

I also wonder though if it's just how the community does not take kindly to deconfirms at all. To date the one true 100% deconfirmed character has been Mai Shiranui and many were furious about that.
It's a speculation community. Having your character told "cannot happen" is going to affect many people negatively.

Of course, there's a difference between cannot(which as you said, purely apply to Mai) and is vastly unlikely(this is of course highly subjective). One shuts down discussion, the other may or may not and has a possibility to create tons of great discussion that can lead to more fans of a character.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

What kind of twisted irony did the universe wreak onto us if Wolverine is in Smash but not Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Okay, so I’ve revised my guesses for Fighter’s Pass vol. 2. Here they are.

3BA74DEC-E779-4DF2-BD81-7E70713F4521.jpeg

not necessarily in that order

and I also made one for those that I want and reasons that I want them
4FB63373-7106-448D-B680-B9C0A8EDF53F.jpeg

Just Dance - This would be absolutely amazing, please oh god please
Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney is even amazinger
Steve - would have a fun moveset and I just like Minecraft
I don’t know what their name would be - from Kinect Adventures. I grew up with this game, and loved it so much. Basically, if any of you grew up with Banjo and Kazooie, you’ll understand how I feel about this game.
Chell - oh hecc yeah. Portal 2 was great, and the moveset would be incredibly fun
Susie - mainly because I need an indie rep and a decent axe fighter, since as of right now we only have 1/4 of one. It’s adding two things I need in one.
And that’s it. Bye.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
now that images are back, here's my FP2 prediction image (in contrast to the dream pass posted yesterday)
3/6
I finished making my Fighter's pass 2. It's a mix of characters I want and characters I think have a good chance of making it in.
3.5/6
Although... I'll use my "Fighter Pass Vol. 2 the will surely please EVERYONE WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS" to show you.
Hmm...lotta series I want to see there, but not the right characters from those series...not sure how to score that...
1.5/6
Okay, so I’ve revised my guesses for Fighter’s Pass vol. 2. Here they are.
3/6

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
You know who would be a cool DLC fighter? Android 21 from Dragonball Fighterz. She was created solely for the video game and has no appearance in an anime or manga and the game is on switch.
android-21-cosplay.jpg

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know who would be a cool DLC fighter? Android 21 from Dragonball Fighterz. She was created solely for the video game and has no appearance in an anime or manga and the game is on switch.
I'm hoping that that doesn't count. Smash characters should be from video game properties. Not just characters that were created for video game adaptations of non-video game properties.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If 2B made it into smash bros, then she would totally have a color similar to Byleth’s, instead of a grey.
Change my mind.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping that that doesn't count. Smash characters should be from video game properties. Not just characters that were created for video game adaptations of non-video game properties.
True but then again, Sakurai is a madman that plays by his own rules. We never know what he is thinking. Can't even predict it

ayy_itsandrew

Smash Rookie
Do you have a quote or link to that because that does seem like it could very well be a soft-deconfirmation?
Steve in Smash would be the cool as hell, and it seems possible from a legal standpoint since Microsoft and Nintendo are already on good terms from Banjo DLC and just recent relations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This and people who want Goku probably don't mean "the one Dragon Ball Z character who's first (and only) appearance is in a video game".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So from the fp vol2 template I found & posted pages back I decided to put in my predictions and add in who I think would get a mii costume

along with the returning ones
44DEAA58-CA92-4AE8-A665-B55A94530DF2.jpeg

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
So from the fp vol2 template I found & posted pages back I decided to put in my predictions and add in who I think would get a mii costume

along with the returning onesView attachment 258996
I really like this dude! I know pretty much nothing about 2B but all the others would be pretty dope I think and I could definitely see them all happening in a realistic sense. I personally would swap Reimu for Ninja Gaiden and 2B for Geno but that’s just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom