• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Aight all this Fire Emblem whining has got me thinking -- what series wouldn't you mind getting another rep via DLC?

I wouldn't mind another Pokemon rep, as long as they don't pick a humanoid starter.
Like not even joking there are still several Fire Emblem characters I'd want that aren't in. Edelgard, Caeda, if we're going for really out there picks then Merric...

Same with Mario and Pokémon. My three favorite Nintendo franchises just happen to be the ones with the most characters, lol.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Geno is getting in and that's a fact
Post combined with your avatar makes me think this could have been someone really confident in smash 4 speculation that hasn’t moved since smash 4 speculation, still waiting for their prophecy to be true.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Aight all this Fire Emblem whining has got me thinking -- what series wouldn't you mind getting another rep via DLC?

I wouldn't mind another Pokemon rep, as long as they don't pick a humanoid starter.
I'd love another FE rep (yes, really) around the time a potential Genealogy of the Holy War remake comes out if it's within the timeframe of DLC.

I'd also be down for an SMT rep if Atlus were to have a shot at a DLC again. Not entirely sure if it'd work but the SMT1, SMT2, SMT4, and potentially the new SMT5 protagonists can all be alts of one character like Hero for DQ which would be super cool.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ori Mii Costume with the song Light of Nibel or bust tbh

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm curious if there's anyone here who's beaten both The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Could they weigh in on the subject of Byleth vs literally any new Zelda character?

As someone who's only beaten Breath of the Wild and only observed 3H from the feedback and most notable parts, my opinion is that BotW is an all-around superior game regardless of its franchise, and thus the two can't be equivocated. But since that's not a fair or wholly-informed opinion, I'd like to hear how others compare the two.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm curious if there's anyone here who's beaten both The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Could they weigh in on the subject of Byleth vs literally any new Zelda character?

As someone who's only beaten Breath of the Wild and only observed 3H from the feedback and most notable parts, my opinion is that BotW is an all-around superior game regardless of its franchise, and thus the two can't be equivocated. But since that's not a fair or wholly-informed opinion, I'd like to hear how others compare the two.
Video games are entertainment, which is subjective, so I don't really think you can say one is objectively "superior" to another. Only way you could do that is to forego everything except how the games function and perform, which they both do equally well: Nothing is broken, and they both run decently on the hardware they are available on.

Both are good games that appeal to different people, and trying to argue one is objectively better than the other will do nothing but start a pointless debate about what at the end of the day, is someone's subjective opinion.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And that is your opinion. :p

Like not even joking there are still several Fire Emblem characters I'd want that aren't in. Edelgard, Caeda, if we're going for really out there picks then Merric...

Same with Mario and Pokémon. My three favorite Nintendo franchises just happen to be the ones with the most characters, lol.
Caeda would be a very interesting heavyweight character. You could be fast and heavy, but with wonky/specialized hitboxes, and then dismount to become slow and light, but with more general hitboxes. I'd imagine it'd make being mounted better for capitalizing on your opponent's disadvantage state, but being dismounted being better for neutral.

You could then give her different characters as alternate costumes, such as Sumia, Hilda, and one or more of the Pegasus Sisters. The Final Smash could be a triangle attack in which your current character and two random alts come in and deal a coordinated strike.

I haven't finished Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but I can already tell you you're comparing apples and oranges. As far as including a The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild character is concerned, I don't really think any of the characters do much of anything to warrant their inclusion. I mean, characters like Midna, Girahim, and the Skull Kid are at least present throughout the game. Kass and the champions are completely optional and stuck in secluded areas.

EDIT: Also, Impa just sits on a pillow the whole time.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Howdy. 400+ hours in BoTW and 160 hours in Three Houses here.

Both games are good for their own reasons, and it ultimately comes down to your preference of genres. I would say that I enjoyed BoTW more, but I was also under a significant time crunch playing Three Houses (had less than a month to finish the entire thing before I went back to college) whereas I played BoTW over a long span of time. However, I think Three Houses is easily the highlight of the Fire Emblem series so far (and I really enjoyed playing it), and would certainly say it's comparable to BoTW in that it revolutionized the series as we know it.

The problem with Zelda characters is that the Legend of Zelda revolves around Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Most side characters are just that. Side characters. This makes it really hard for these characters to break out into the spotlight, special circumstances notwithstanding. Comparatively, Fire Emblem has a continual shifting roster of main characters to draw from. When both games are comparable, but one game has more potential for characters, that game is going to be chosen. Link had already gotten a touchup for BoTW, so in this case I'd say it makes more sense for Byleth to have been chosen over another BoTW character.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

The only thing I remember about the Champions from BOTW was that Link was running circles around them

Its hard to believe those blight ganon guys gave them so much trouble when link just destroyed them while wearing his underwear

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To reiterate why bendy limbs for Steve would look off personally:

-He looks good with his regular limbs to me.
-The Mii limbs are sorta like regular human limbs, so the way they bend would look odd.
-If they bend like they do in the Minecraft Dungeons trailer, where it’s just at right-angles, it’d look fine. Maybe even if not just at right-angles, but only with one elbow joint and it’s still an edge instead of being rounded, and isn’t like the Mii limbs/they shouldn’t turn aside from the body-connecting joints.
-Official trailers already give them personality, they could even animate his eyes like the bees’ eyes in one trailer, if not how it’s done in Dungeons or in Bedrock Edition/Minecraft Earth.

I don’t expect anyone to agree, but this is why I think he’d look much better as his own fighter instead of as a model swap for a Mii, even ignoring my bias.

Heck, to be honest, I even think those animations some Minecraft fans make with very bendy limbs look okay on their own, although they are somewhat odd and stray from Minecraft’s style, so I personally don’t like them much...but anyway, I hope y’all understand instead of completely ignoring my view and going at me with “how would he even work as a fighter then?” as if straight, rectangular limbs are really oh-so objectively awful when no, they’re not.
Jeez I just asked you a question, no need to get all pissy about it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
In a mii costume...
... So he can pop out from it and say...
... I'm not playable...
... Just yet...

Edit: Damn it! I ctrl+entered again! I had the coolest joke and I ruined it.

I've seen this idea passed around a bit, and I highly doubt it will happen, but I really like it. I'll do you one further. How about instead of just OoT Link, we also get Twilight Princess Link as an alt (I'm thinkin' 4 costumes are OoT Link, and 4 are TP Link), and name it Fighter 3ε: Classic Link? I like this idea more and more each time I hear it.

I'd picture him going over Adult Link, of course, because not much would be changed.
  • Sword and shield animations horizontally mirrored to reflect him being left-handed
  • Uses Melee voice clips when in OoT alt, and Brawl/Smash 4 voice clips in his Twilight Princess alt.
  • Reuses old entrance animation from pre-Ultimate
  • No sword beams (Forward smash is stronger/faster to compensate)
  • Arrows don't last on the ground
  • Hookshot grab/throws and tether recovery
  • Bombs aren't remote controlled.
And that's really all that's necessary to make it work. Though I came up with some more personal changes anyways:
  • Gets Young Link's multi-hit parry as an alternate neutral attack finisher.
  • If he grabs a bomb, then he can fire a Bomb Arrow. This is his replacement for BotW Link's double arrow.
  • Gets the fairy taunt back

Yeah that sounds cool. I like Twilight Princess Link but I prefer Ocarina of Time link.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I can't believe you are responding seriously to a post I made blatantly mocking the guy trying to start another XENOBLADE 2 BAD train :laugh: but hey

Both are good games that appeal to different people, and trying to argue one is objectively better than the other will do nothing but start a pointless debate about what at the end of the day, is someone's subjective opinion.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I fit the criteria you have asked for and hereby claim my right to a response.

ahem...

Zelda characters are definitely really interesting moveset wise and several are quite popular all around, their popularity lasting long after their game's original release. One look at Hyrule Warriors should tell you just how colorful the selection is. However, Zelda is in the unfortunate predicament of its most popular characters (ie Midna, Skullkid, Ghirahim, Tetra, etc) having a combination of not being relevant anymore with those games being upwards of 7 years old, and a split fanbase that can't reasonably be expected to rally around a single character in the same way as Ridley or K Rool.
The only character to have ever gotten lucky enough to escape this trap is Sheik on account of Melee having her be Zelda's down B gimmick and thereafter growing her own Smash fanbase independent of the source material.

Fire Emblem meanwhile rotates its cast out every single game, with every single character having their own unique sort of gimmick, making for an obvious candidate to be a new smasher every single release whilst simultaneously providing enticing options in the form of gameplay. Ike, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, they all have unique easily understandable attributes that make them an easy fit for Smash, while also releasing in the sweetspot of time required for them to be considered for Smash.

As for my personal opinion on the matter, I definitely would have chosen someone like Midna over Roy or Ghirahim over Corrin, as I find those two characters far more memorable, charming, and fun to experience throughout their game than those characters that got into Smash. Sadly, both got assist trophy'd so I doubt we'll ever be seeing them in serious consideration for Smash again. On the flip side, I would die before I let someone like Ike or Byleth die though, as they represent my favorite games in the franchise.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman

Even though I'm not really much of a Zelda guy I would definitely say "The Legend of Zelda" as they haven't had a new fighter since Brawl with Toon Link. And that's if we're counting characters based on another fighter. If not then the last fully original fighter was both Zelda and Sheik in Melee. At this point 19 years ago. Even if I'm not that well knowledge in the games I'd suggest either Impa (main choice as long as it's the Hyrule Warriors version), Tingle, Linkle, Skull Kid, Lana, I'd even take the old who gives you your sword in the NES game as a retro fighter or even Epona as a joke fighter.

others include
-Kirby could use Bandanna Dee, Adeleine, Magalor, Gooey or Dark Matter
-Yoshi with Kamek
-Sonic could use Shadow, Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Classic Sonic or Metal Sonic
-Punch-Out with either King Hippo or Glass Joe
-Earthbound with Ninten
-Starfox with either Krystal, Panther or Slippy
-Kid Icarus with Viridian or Ignus
-Final Fantasy with either Leon, Lightning, Warrior of Light or Noctus
-R.O.B. with Professor Hector from Gyromite
-Metal Gear with the Rising Revengeance version of Raiden
-F-Zero with either Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow

Yes, I know a lot of these suggestions are assist trophies but I'm more referring to not just Ultimate but possible later titles

Roberk

Smash Champion

It depends on the Zelda character. From most of my experience with the series, including BOTW as you said, characters that aren't Link only have a few minutes of screentime and don't actually do much. Meanwhile, Byleth is the protagonist of a game with 3 (4 if you're technical) routes worth of content and does a lot more that can be transferred into Smash. I think there can be some really fun Zelda characters added like some villains, but they've already been passed over with Spirits and ATs. Maybe BOTW2 will have someone other than Link with a unique moveset and story relevance.

Opinions on BOTW and TH are subjective. I was super hyped for BOTW based on how they were marketing the story but it turned out to all be flashback cutscenes and the dungeons were reduced to trials, which was disappointing for me. I didn't care much for the open-world and combat if all it did was allow you to screw around with the admittedly fun physics engine. Meanwhile, TH was a return to form for the series while continuing to add quality of life improvements. It had great character interactions, a great story that was fun to analyze, and addicting combat. It also had a much higher production value than any FE game before like with the full voice acting and HD graphics which was a treat.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even though I'm not really much of a Zelda guy I would definitely say "The Legend of Zelda" as they haven't had a new fighter since Brawl with Toon Link. And that's if we're counting characters based on another fighter. If not then the last fully original fighter was both Zelda and Sheik in Melee. At this point 19 years ago. Even if I'm not that well knowledge in the games I'd suggest either Impa (main choice as long as it's the Hyrule Warriors version), Tingle, Linkle, Skull Kid, Lana, I'd even take the old who gives you your sword in the NES game as a retro fighter or even Epona as a joke fighter.

others include
-Kirby could use Bandanna Dee, Adeleine, Magalor, Gooey or Dark Matter
-Yoshi with Kamek
-Sonic could use Shadow, Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Classic Sonic or Metal Sonic
-Punch-Out with either King Hippo or Glass Joe
-Earthbound with Ninten
-Starfox with either Krystal, Panther or Slippy
-Kid Icarus with Viridian or Ignus
-Final Fantasy with either Leon, Lightning, Warrior of Light or Noctus
-R.O.B. with Professor Hector from Gyromite
-Metal Gear with the Rising Revengeance version of Raiden
-F-Zero with either Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow

Yes, I know a lot of these suggestions are assist trophies but I'm more referring to not just Ultimate but possible later titles
Throwing a few more:

- Xenoblade with Rex, Lora, Fiora or Elma
- Splatoon with Octoling or Commander Tartar or C. Q. Cumber
- Pikmin with... Brittany?

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Only issue I have with Byleth is that as an FE character their move-sets seem rather limited. Despite holding an axe, a sword, or a lance, from a game development perspective all those weapons are basically the same.

That being said, I would go with a mario character, Geno specifically. Mario already has like 8-9 representatives, yet they still remain fairly different from one another. I believe a new mario character would at least add a more unique character in the roster compared to any other series. (Unless they add another "mario")

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Jeez I just asked you a question, no need to get all pissy about it.
I’m sorry, it’s just you sounded a bit condescending with how you worded it. I know you don’t like Steve, showing a lot of hatred to the idea in the past even if you’re calmer about it now, so when you asked if he’d be animated in a way you don’t like and “Wait, so Steve can't be a Mii Fighter because bendy limbs don't suit him... Doesn't that mean he's even less of a fit to be a full-blown fighter?” it sounded kinda condescending like you ignored some of what I was explaining about how I thought he looked fine otherwise + the mii’s limbs are nothing like his regular limbs or Dungeons.

I’m sorry if you meant no negativity about it, it just sounded off. It wasn’t even just you tbh, I saw others like your post so I thought they did the same thing, which is why I didn’t respond to you directly and left it there for everyone.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Even among Fire Emblem I still want Lyn or Anna.

But for other series:

Donkey Kong - Dixie Kong
Star Fox - Krystal
Pikmin - Alph, Louie, Brittany, Charlie
Xenoblade - Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Elma, Fiora
Splatoon - Octoling
Pac-Man - Ms. Pac-Man
Kid Icarus - Viridi/Medusa
Sonic - Tails
Street Fighter - Chun-Li
Kirby - Bandanna Dee, Adeleine & Ribbon, Marx, Susie
Zelda - Impa, Midna, Tetra
Final Fantasy - Terra
Earthbound - Ninten, Paula, Kumatora
Megaman - Protoman, Roll

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
The Akira VF costume is so good
Should have gotten his theme
They wouldn't have a music track anyways because SNK had 50. Even if you didn't buy the DLC, they already added enough songs to where they didn't wanna bother adding more. At least that's what I think.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Breath of the Wild and Three Houses are both excellent games that are truly up there with the best in their series, but it's apples and oranges. It's really tough to call one better than the other because they're going for separate things. It's kind of like saying "What's the better game, Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey?", both are extremely well polished and enjoyable, so the only real criterion that serves as a tie-breaker is personal preference. Even then, I don't think critical success is a major impact in what games get representation in Smash. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten a large quantity of Sonic 06 content in Brawl.

As to why Three Houses got a dedicated character and Breath of the Wild didn't, there's two major reasons that have largely already discussed in this thread. First, Fire Emblem generally has a stronger focus on characters than Zelda does. Breath of the Wild's gameplay is more about the places you go to and the things you see than the people you meet. Fire Emblem's gameplay, on the other hand, is about building an army of individuals and making them into a cohesive whole which can take on enemies. Because of this, Fire Emblem naturally has a lot more core characters that can be converted in fighters than BotW.

Second, Fire Emblem has a completely ever-changing cast while Zelda only has a changing supporting cast. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf will always be there, so it seems weird to add someone who won't ever be relevant in the main series again, such as Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim. It's why our Zelda representation has just been updating the Triforce wielders since Brawl. With a handful of exceptions, Fire Emblem characters very rarely appear in a playable role across multiple games. As such, if you want to include some sort of playable representation for the newest Fire Emblem, you have to add a new character to do so. You can't give Marth and Ike new tools from Three Houses because they don't appear in that game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai: "I play literally thousands of games of many different genres, companies, etc and as a game dev I tend to appreciate at least 1 thing in the game a lot"
Smash fans: "Clearly this means Smash will feature every game ever made"
I will throw this

Which obviously means we're getting Knack as DLC

Next Fighters Pass:

4 picks that are from Sakurai's favorite games. All worthy of Smash but people will initially complain then get over it.
1 8th Generation Pokemon that everyone will complain about and claiming Pokemon over-representation and waste of Challenger Pack slot over.
1 fan favorite like Geno, Lloyd, Isaac, Waluigi.

There. That's it. Go home folks.
I honestly think this is a pretty realistic prediction lmao

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'd still take more FE characters, honestly. Anna and Hector especially would be super cool.

As for other series: I'd love to see Octolings, literally anything Kirby, and a Zelda character would be nice. Another Sonic character is also something I'd love to see.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

There's no franchise that I would be mad about getting more rep, as long as the moveset is original I won't mind. That being said the franchises that I want more to see more rep are Zelda, Kirby, Sonic and Earthbound.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Tsk Tsk

I dunno, I think we've kind of passed that a long time ago, like if he was going to come back as a Mii Costume it would've already happened with Hero. I've heard people counter this with the idea that they were shilling Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition, and as such they didn't want to associate Dragon Quest or Hero in Smash with the mass disappointment of Geno being a Mii Costume, but I honestly have a hard time buying that.

On Nintendo's end, they created and released Byleth as a DLC fighter, so I don't think they'd really care too much about occasionally doing things that would upset the fans. And on Square's side, I have no reason to think that they'd really care all that much in the first place. I mean, most people expected Geno's costume to come back alongside Hero anyway, so anyone who would've been upset about it would've already been upset. And would people have really boycotted Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition because Geno was a costume in Smash? "I was interested in buying your swordy boy game, but you put in the puppet as a costume, so no monies for you!" The two seem almost entirely unrelated. If anything, people would be more mad at Sakurai than anything.

That's also putting aside the fact that we've gotten two potential leaks regarding these Mii Costumes, but neither of them have mentioned the Geno costume. The Mii Fighter List, which has gotten everything else it listed correct, has a Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo costume/hat on the list, but no Geno. The CacoMallow Post has a Mallow Hat, but no Geno.

I have noticed so far that all the costumes that came with tracks were for the Gunner. No Swordfighter or Brawler costumes with music... yet...
YOU'D BETTER BE READY, 'COS HERE COMES FREDDY!
ThisIsTheFutureYouChose.png

andree123

Smash Ace

New 25th Anniversary logo and new Tales series logo.

The latter we've seen before, via trademarks.

Bandai Namco might be doing something this year for the series (besides Tales of Arise, obviously).

Edit: found this:

Gotta take this from the Lloyd thread, now we know that Bamco's newly trademarked tales of save icon is used in a certain Tales of event, but we have the Scott NDA thing left and this depends whenever he is voicing a playable Lloyd or not.

OffBi

Smash Ace
I dunno, I think we've kind of passed that a long time ago, like if he was going to come back as a Mii Costume it would've already happened with Hero. I've heard people counter this with the idea that they were shilling Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition, and as such they didn't want to associate Dragon Quest or Hero in Smash with the mass disappointment of Geno being a Mii Costume, but I honestly have a hard time buying that.

On Nintendo's end, they created and released Byleth as a DLC fighter, so I don't think they'd really care too much about occasionally doing things that would upset the fans. And on Square's side, I have no reason to think that they'd really care all that much in the first place. I mean, most people expected Geno's costume to come back alongside Hero anyway, so anyone who would've been upset about it would've already been upset. And would people have really boycotted Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition because Geno was a costume in Smash? "I was interested in buying your swordy boy game, but you put in the puppet as a costume, so no monies for you!" The two seem almost entirely unrelated. If anything, people would be more mad at Sakurai than anything.

That's also putting aside the fact that we've gotten two potential leaks regarding these Mii Costumes, but neither of them have mentioned the Geno costume. The Mii Fighter List, which has gotten everything else it listed correct, has a Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo costume/hat on the list, but no Geno. The CacoMallow Post has a Mallow Hat, but no Geno.

YOU'D BETTER BE READY, 'COS HERE COMES FREDDY!
View attachment 258933
I made this a long time ago
fred.png

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure if mentioned

But um

Remember the picture with Ryu in FP2 but was previously in fp1 and also talks about a three

Ummm..

I heard It’s source and photos was taken down.

(I know it could just be a coincidence

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno's situation is absolutely looking the best it ever has.

But that honestly isn't saying much to me these days considering Sakurai already tried getting him in twice in both Brawl and presumably 4.

Geno isn't a shoo-in by any stretch so long as whatever has been holding him back all these years is still in effect. And I'm saying that as him being my most wanted since Brawl. But I'll always be cautiously optimistic for him.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Sakurai will come on set for the next direct. He stares directly into the camera:

"Fighters Pass 2 will contain 5 Fire Emblem characters, and we will be removing the Sans Mii costume for reasons unknown. Thank you, f**k you, and I hope you enjoy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom