• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, I'd like to post some of my speculations for fighter pass 2, if that's Ok...

-1st A new Pokemon rep from SwSh-

After Byleth, this one seems to be pretty safe. While I personally would like to see Rillaboom, we'll probably get some pick no one expects or gets triggered by, like Cinderace

-2nd Doom Slayer-

With the "mature" reps we got already (Bayo, Snake), the Doom Slayer should not have any trouble getting in. Oh, and with Doom Eternal coming in March, the Doom Slayer would be a very impactful way to start fighter pass 2. And Nintendo really wants to kick it off with a bang, because I believe Byleth made many fans think twice about paying in advance for characters they do not know.

-3rd Rex and Pyra-

We know Sakurai has an affinity for them and I feel just for that reason alone he'll add them in.
Personally, I wouldn't mind, more Xenoblade music is always welcome (Mor Ardain stage, please)

-4th Heihachi-

We all know the reasons: Bandai Namco, Iconic fighting game character, oh and his inputs won't differ as much from Ken/Ryu/Terry as, for example, a character from Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.

-5th Crash-

While I am not the biggest fan of Crash, I cannot deny his symbolic value. I mean, He used to be the face of Playstation, so getting him in would be pretty funny for that reason alone.

-6th Dante-

Maybe I am kind of led by the current Dante Hype now, but I feel another Capcom rep is inevitable and while I'd love to see Phoenix Wright instead, my actual guess is going to be Dante.

Oh, before I forget, I believe we'll get further Indie-representation via Mii Costumes, So costumes for Shantae, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and Steve are kind of likely in my opinion

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
How did you all expect the DLC to be revealed in the next two years?
I'm guessing
2 at E3 this year
One in winter 2020
One before E3 next year
Final two at E3 2021

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm still wondering where this Pokemon Trainer/Ivysaur thing is coming from? It's not from PT's own Classic, so I'm guessing I misread here. I think Greninja was meant, but my guess is pure Grass was the real intention behind it. I agree they could've had Pikmin in there(with both Alph and Olimar, since they're the only other base-game ones that's confirmed, not guessed at. If PP was base, yeah, should've been in there with Olimar, the default costume). It's a weird one, having ones like ZSS, then again, does she represent any type beyond Electric with her elemental abilities? I guess it fits? I feel like Sakurai's choices for that Classic Mode were likely arbitrary.

It made sense to fight, for the penultimate battle, the full-on-trainer. Everything else was unique Pokemon based around a very specific type(Electric, Normal(cause Jigglypuff isn't Fairy-based in Smash, unfortunately), Fire(though Incineroar arguably is more Dark at this point), Greninja(very focused on Water with a slight bit of Dark), and then "Elemental Triangle akin to your Rival Battle", and then the final boss of Mewtwo, followed by Master Hand, not unlike the idea of having two final bosses at the end of the regular in-game Leagues(before SuMo).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So, I'd like to post some of my speculations for fighter pass 2, if that's Ok...

-1st A new Pokemon rep from SwSh-

After Byleth, this one seems to be pretty safe. While I personally would like to see Rillaboom, we'll probably get some pick no one expects or gets triggered by, like Cinderace

-2nd Doom Slayer-

With the "mature" reps we got already (Bayo, Snake), the Doom Slayer should not have any trouble getting in. Oh, and with Doom Eternal coming in March, the Doom Slayer would be a very impactful way to start fighter pass 2. And Nintendo really wants to kick it off with a bang, because I believe Byleth made many fans think twice about paying in advance for characters they do not know.

-3rd Rex and Pyra-

We know Sakurai has an affinity for them and I feel just for that reason alone he'll add them in.
Personally, I wouldn't mind, more Xenoblade music is always welcome (Mor Ardain stage, please)

-4th Heihachi-

We all know the reasons: Bandai Namco, Iconic fighting game character, oh and his inputs won't differ as much from Ken/Ryu/Terry as, for example, a character from Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.

-5th Crash-

While I am not the biggest fan of Crash, I cannot deny his symbolic value. I mean, He used to be the face of Playstation, so getting him in would be pretty funny for that reason alone.

-6th Dante-

Maybe I am kind of led by the current Dante Hype now, but I feel another Capcom rep is inevitable and while I'd love to see Phoenix Wright instead, my actual guess is going to be Dante.

Oh, before I forget, I believe we'll get further Indie-representation via Mii Costumes, So costumes for Shantae, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and Steve are kind of likely in my opinion
Its got Crash and Doom Slayer. I'd be down for this.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Since everyone seems to be posting their predictions/wishlists/whatever for FP2, might as well throw my hat back in the speculation ring. Sakurai pulls up to your house and hits you with this dlc lineup, wyd
smash prediction thing.png
This is basically just a mix of my personal tastes and stuff I think is likely. Really pulling for Kiryu and 2B this season, everyone else would be cool but those two would really make me a happy camper

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still wondering where this Pokemon Trainer/Ivysaur thing is coming from? It's not from PT's own Classic, so I'm guessing I misread here.

It made sense to fight, for the penultimate battle, the full-on-trainer. Everything else was unique Pokemon based around a very specific type(Electric, Normal(cause Jigglypuff isn't Fairy-based in Smash, unfortunately), Fire(though Incineroar arguably is more Dark at this point), Greninja(very focused on Water with a slight bit of Dark), and then "Elemental Triangle akin to your Rival Battle", and then the final boss of Mewtwo, followed by Master Hand, not unlike the idea of having two final bosses at the end of the regular in-game Leagues(before SuMo).
It's Greninja's, not Trainer's.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I had to throw out some beginning predictions for a few things...here’s what I’d say. I can always elaborate later.

Fighters:

Dante
2B
Crash Bandicoot
Travis Touchdown
A first party (New Pokemon maybe or established protagonist, probably not a new IP)
A Namco pick
Sora
Ryu Hayabusa

Mii Fighters:
Solaire and/or Artorias
Minecraft Steve
Shovel Knight
Hollow Knight
Celeste
Ace Attorney (If not playable)

These are just some ideas that I’m brainstorming. I don’t really have a concrete idea of what I legitimately expect. I’m sure we’ll learn something more from a Famitsu article or two along the way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Since everyone seems to be posting their predictions/wishlists/whatever for FP2, might as well throw my hat back in the speculation ring. Sakurai pulls up to your house and hits you with this dlc lineup, wyd
This is basically just a mix of my personal tastes and stuff I think is likely. Really pulling for Kiryu and 2B this season, everyone else would be cool but those two would really make me a happy camper
Frogger and Lloyd are the only ones I'd need convincing on. Speaking of Kiryu, his summon in Yakuza 7 was shown off and it's ****ing perfect for Smash

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's what I'd like to see. It's not totally idealized, just the most idealized version of something that still seems halfway plausible. But only halfway, because there's only two RPG characters. A sufficient amount of swordies though. ;P

FP2K20.png

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Is there a place everyone is making these or are people just using photoshop or something like that?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's what I'd like to see. It's not totally idealized, just the most idealized version of something that still seems halfway plausible. But only halfway, because there's only two swordies on here, and only two RPG characters. ;P

View attachment 258698
Wait if we consider the Crucible a sword which we should judging by Doom Eternal, isn't Waluigi the only non-swordy here? Kosmos has multiple swords I believe, Ammy's glaives are literally swords, 2B has a sword and Travis has a sword

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait if we consider the Crucible a sword which we should judging by Doom Eternal, isn't Waluigi the only non-swordy here? Kosmos has multiple swords I believe, Ammy's glaives are literally swords, 2B has a sword and Travis has a sword
Hence the edit, lol.

ManlyPlant

Smash Rookie
Hopefully either way whatever happens everyone has fun yea?.... though i don't want to deal with two more years of smash speculation clogging my twitter feed. It's mentally tiring honestly.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Good things about this Pass: 5/6 are great picks.

Great things about this Pass: I already know from the first character that I will buy the characters piecemeal and not the whole Pass.

Bad things about the Pass: I end up spending more money because I buy almost all characters separately.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi is a sword user too though.
43fq8a6lwrh31.jpg

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Figured out I'd put out my prediction. I posted this in another thread, but sharing is caring:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Heihachi
3. Doom Marine
4. Bandana Dee
5. Curve ball (not exactly sure who would go here)
6. Toxtricity/Rillaboom

In terms of Indie costumes...
1. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
2. Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
3. Madeline (Celeste)
4. The Chef (Overcooked)
5. Gunvolt (Mighty Gunvolt)
6. Steve (Minecraft)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hopefully either way whatever happens everyone has fun yea?
We're past the point of fun at this point. Smash is SERIOUS business. If I don't get all the characters that gives me every right to insult and threaten people, and if someone doesn't support the same characters I do they are an infidel and must DIE.

Sorry I don't write the rules I just abide by them.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Despite never playing his games, starting to get the feeling Travis Touchdown could definitely get in as one of the next 6 picks.

Yeah, I’d say Dante, 2B, Travis all sound like potentially in the running.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I already did a Fighter pass 2 prediction (it's on my signature if you missed it) and assuming I'm right on my prediction (which is probably not but I'm going with that for my basis), I'm going to do now a mii costumes prediction:
-Phoenix Wright: He's very popular and Capcom already have so much costumes that I'm almost 100% sure that if he's not playable, he's going to be a costume. The fact that he's a normal human would make him a easy costume to make.
-Arthur (Ghost n goblins): Although he don't have the popularity as Wright, I could see Capcom wanting to put one last mii costume and he would work pretty well.
-Shantae is going to have a mii costume also for her huge popularity. I'm sorry but I really don't see her playable and I think she will get the same treatment as other indie character.
-Chrono from Chrono trigger: this one is a bit a shot in the dark because Square don't have any costume right now but I feel like Chrono might be a mii
-Wonder red: At this point he's not very likely, so I think a mii would be pretty fine
-Pyramid head: that one is really a big shot in the dark, but when I start thinking about survival horror rep I end up looking about Silent hill and I realized that Pyramid head would make a pretty cool and funny costume (ironically because he's not funny at all in Silent hill). He's also from Konami so that would help.
-Master chief: If we do got Steve I'm almost 100% sure that sadly for his fan, he will end up a mii gunner.
-Scorpion and Sub-zero: my last one is also a shot in the dark, because we got no content from Warner bros/Nertherealm in the game and I have no idea if them making a deal with Nintendo is possible, but Mortal kombat is one of the most iconic video game of all time (the game basically lead to the existence of the esrb). and it really deserve a small representation. I think they could look great if done well with their mask.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What makes Travis especially cool as that people are gonna assume he's just a shill pick just like how Travis being a nerd is to make him relatable despite NMH's theme of "The romantisized nature of violence in media makes people think murder is cool but they won't realize the weight of a life until they're trapped in a cycle of violence which only ends at them being killed themselves" meaning Travis isn't meant to the cool guy

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know... I must admit I don't really feel like making wishlists and prediction lists lately.
Don't know if it's due to playing this (speculating) game for so long, or if it's because I got pretty much all characters I ever MOST wanted, that in comparison, I'm sure I wouldn't use any other character I'd like in Smash after these.

I'll give it a try anyway:

MOST Wanted:
1) Mike Jones (StarTropics)
2) Doomguy
3) Crono (Would be amazing, but I am more than happy with Hero to take his place)

Wanted:
4) Ryu Hayabusa / Joe Musashi
5) Battletoads
6) Shantae

Prediction:
1) Pokemon SwSh
2) Yokai Watch
3) Nightmare
4) Zelda BOTW2
5) Crash
6) Travis

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's what I'd like to see. It's not totally idealized, just the most idealized version of something that still seems halfway plausible. But only halfway, because there's only two RPG characters. A sufficient amount of swordies though. ;P
Its got Amaterasu. I'm sold.

Also three female reps. Lesley would be happy.

ManlyPlant

Smash Rookie
it's funny how i just started posting cause someone tried to start peddling the whole "MvC4 is totally happening" rumor again that has existed for several years now and it made me snap because they've never been true.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Guess I will hop in and give my six cents on what the fighters pass Aesop’s 2 will be.

Crash
Travis Touchdown
Phoenix Wright
Doomguy
Arle
Rillaboom

also there’s totes gonna be a season 3.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
https://youtu.be/bZHuY-Kofbg

So it's confirmed Vol 2 will still have the same content as Vol 1(stage, music, Classic route, and Spirit Board)

As much as I want a character like Porky. I think's it pretty much likely that the remaining characters will still be from games(3rd party and 1st party) that still don't have content in Ultimate.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Here's who I think FP2 is gonna have

Travis Touchdown
Dante
Doom Slayer
Pokemon from Sword and Shield
Character from an unannounced first party game
New Zelda or Xenoblade rep

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I might jump in the band-wagon too. I'm probably going to say at least 3 Nintendo characters and 3 Third-Party characters. My predictions would be:
FP6: Dante
FP7: Ring Fit Adventurer
FP8: Travis Touchdown
FP9: Kazuma Kiryu
FP10: 2B or Lara Croft but I suspect 2B would be the one they'd pick
FP11: Euden

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Realistically, I will be disappointed if one of the six characters is NOT Crash or Doom Slayer.
If we get Crash AND Spyro, I will be ecstatic.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I really don't have a good idea of who is likely outside of a Sword and Sheild Rep and probably Ryu Hayabusa and maybe a Mario spin-off character like Geno or Paper Mario etc. Beyond that, I have zero clues at this point

As for who I personally would want as the next six characters
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Kunio
3. Ryu Hayabusa
4. Miles "Tails" Prower
5. Shantae
6. Dixie Kong
All of these are, I feel, (especially Ryu Hayabusa) are pretty likely picks. None of them are really out there, with Shantae and Kunio being the least likely.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Smash 4 was "supposed" to have 3, but then Fire Emblem became a victim of circumstance and ended up with 6. I fail to see how this supports the notion of several FE characters being cut.
It has less to do with the characters being Fire Emblem characters and more to do with the following..
- Clones are typically the first to go as they are redundant.
- The characters are no longer relevant.
Pretty much Roy and Lucina are clones and, like happened before, they'd likely be dropped for that reason since, if cuts have to happen its best to cut anything redudant first unless from a massively popular series like The Legend of Zelda (hence Toon Link & Ganondorf being safe..with Toon Link more or less replacing Young Link in Brawl & 3DS/Wii U).
When it comes to characters like Ike & Corrin, they are irrelevant since the games would no longer be the new hotness along with not being the most popular (PoR/RD sales-wise and Fates reception-wise).
Chrom was only added because of Echo Fighters being a new 'thing'..at least due to the great Marketing Term that is 'Echo Fighter'. However, I believe his being added had a lot to do with 'Everyone Is Here'. If they would have had to cut Lucina and Roy, I don't think they would have taken the time to add Chrom when they could have just kept one of them as an already existing Marth clone.
I also think Dr. Mario would likely have been cut once again along with Dark Pit, were cuts needed, since, as clones, I think they wouldn't be high priorities.
The backlash against Byleth is completely above and beyond any of that, though.
Not really, the rage about Waluigi being reduced to an Assist Trophy was pretty much the same, threats, death threats, crying, saying something was 'a slap in the face'/'insult', etc.
Smash Fans can be quite childish if they don't get something they want or get something they don't want..they freak out like its some massive problem when its really something that will become nothing really after they get over it, just like happened with the reveals of Corrin & Bayonetta, the 'snubbing' of Waluigi in 3DS/Wii U & Ultimate
https://youtu.be/bZHuY-Kofbg

So it's confirmed Vol 2 will still have the same content as Vol 1(stage, music, Classic route, and Spirit Board)

As much as I want a character like Porky. I think's it pretty much likely that the remaining characters will still be from games(3rd party and 1st party) that still don't have content in Ultimate.
Pretty much my thinking too, so either unrepresented/underrepresented games from already included franchises (Xenoblade 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokémon SwSh) or completely new franchises (Kingdom Hearts, Tales, Devil May Cry)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was thinking, maybe Sakurai intentionally added Spirits from games that were getting a character in the second pass because he knew people would connect the dots after Byleth. It wouldn't take a genius to realize that Astral Chain and SwSh were probably getting characters if there weren't any Spirits, so maybe he asked his team to whip up a few to make them less conspicuous.

Just my tinfoil hat theory of the day. Depending on how easy it is to add Spirits, I could see this being the case. It might help explain why Astral Chain Spirits randomly showed up right before the reveal.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I was thinking, maybe Sakurai intentionally added Spirits from games that were getting a character in the second pass because he knew people would connect the dots after Byleth. It wouldn't take a genius to realize that Astral Chain and SwSh were probably getting characters if there weren't any Spirits, so maybe he asked his team to whip up a few to make them less conspicuous.
I would love to see Astral Chain getting a character. That game deserves more love, Akira Howards has such a moveset potential, and the music is fan freaking tastic

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Okay here's a scenario for all of you. Let's say that the characters announced in the second fighter pass meet these criteria:

- One of them is awesome, but you've never played the game he/she is from
- Two of them you are indifferent about (don't love, don't hate)
- One of them you are happy about because they are legendary (define that how you will, but you have to have a good argument)
- One makes you hella salty
- One is so good it justifies the entire pass by itself.

In your answers, you can "upgrade" spirits, but not assist trophies. Only one answer per category.

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Indifferent - Doomguy and Lloyd
Legendary - Geno (fan favorite of the Smash community)
Salty - A new Pokémon rep
Best Pick - Scorpion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom