• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I still think playing this game of ratios with the roster is dumb.

I could care less how many "reps" a series has: Smash shouldn't be some kind of checklist that meets a quota, it should just be about having fun video game characters, regardless of where they come from.

The need people have to see "genre reps" or "series reps" is often an argument that doesn't hold much weight past being a vague excuse for why their favorite is objectively better than the other. This leads to pointless arguments about sales, supposed popularity, and internet polls that people think are valid because apparently the entire install base of Smash is exclusively on western internet sites. Other countries and fanbases don't exist, Smash needs to always have content for it's western fans, 'cause apparently some believe we're all that matters when trying to pick character prefferences.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ok so

yeah i know, "leakers" but this is kinda suspicious. This guy said Byleth was FP5 back in October, that Crash is next, neither Smash nor BOTW2 would be at TGA, MK11 WOULD be at TGA, and "direct on thurs" on the 13th. some part of me feels like something's a bit off though

https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well it clearly didn't work. Nobody ****ing cares about the second fighter pass now.
Your head is firmly in the sand if you actually believe that. Knock it off with the doomsday rhetoric.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well it clearly didn't work. Nobody ****ing cares about the second fighter pass now.
lol we have six characters coming and every community I'm in has been talking about whether Dante or another heavy hitter is gonna open the next one. Doomsaying is a bad look.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still think playing this game of ratios with the roster is dumb.

I could care less how many "reps" a series has: Smash shouldn't be some kind of checklist that meets a quota, it should just be about having fun video game characters, regardless of where they come from.

The need people have to see "genre reps" or "series reps" is often an argument that doesn't hold much weight past being a vague excuse for why their favorite is objectively better than the other. This leads to pointless arguments about sales, supposed popularity, and internet poles that people think are valid because apparently the entire install base of Smash is exclusively on western internet sites. Other countries and fanbases don't exist, Smash needs to always have content for it's western fans, 'cause apparently some believe we're all that matters when trying to pick character prefferences.
Besides, even after running the numbers it comes out with Pokémon at like, 18% or something. No one series is taking over the roster.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I know a lot of people who are actually more excited for the next Fighter's Pass after Byleth's reveal. Namely, people who wanted to see Nintendo characters or more obscure characters feel like those things are a lot more likely to happen now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
lol we have six characters coming and every community I'm in has been talking about whether Dante or another heavy hitter is gonna open the next one. Doomsaying is a bad look.
But what about DoomSLAYing? :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As disappointed as I am, this is too much.

I see it as "Well... at least Fire Emblem is out of the way... earlier than expected".

But I am still pretty interested in the 6 characters to come.
And I'm going to assume 1 of them is Pokemon, and 2 more of those will probably also be related to their upcoming releases.
So in my mind, there are 3 more to actually look forward to.

And I'm planning to get the 2nd pass either way, but when it goes on sale like I did last time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, I don't expect a "huge" character in terms of sales and hardcore Smash fandom popularity to open the next pass.

Joker was neither, but he appearently did a pretty good job at making people buy the first pass. I think him being a left field pick played a part in this; since it gave people hope that seemingly unlikely characters can get in.

I'm probably wrong, but I expect our next newcomer to be more like him than, say, Banjo or Byleth.
Yeah, Joker's shock value worked really well as an opener, even as someone who isn't invested in Persona at all it felt like a pretty strong moment.

People probably have their own opinions on this, but imo the two big shots of the Pass were Hero and Banjo, both of which were saved for E3. Maybe they'll save the biggest characters for E3 again, it even sounds like the Pass will stretch over two E3s, so depending on how far they are in development I could see the big characters being #2 and #5. Could just be a coincidence that it fit E3 of course, but I at least agree that the Pass opener likely won't be someone like Crash or Sora.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like, literally just read this thread when the same 3 people aren't starting **** about Byleth or plenty of other support threads.
People are excited for the future lmao
As far as I've seen it looks like you guys speculate about your wants and predictions, and then I.D. comes in and says "Your predictions are wrong and your hopes will be dashed because we're going to get more Fire Emblem. Also you're dumb for thinking your character has a chance because Fire Emblem."

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
As far as I've seen it looks like you guys speculate about your wants and predictions, and then I.D. comes in and says "Your predictions are wrong and your hopes will be dashed because we're going to get more Fire Emblem. Also you're dumb for thinking your character has a chance because Fire Emblem."
pretty much lol
It's ****ing exhausting.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly I am so satisfied with season 1 that I wouldn't had minded if Sakurai decided to stop there. I still have my favorites that I would like to see like Dante and 2B, but even if the second pass is full of characters that I don't care too much for, it's all a nice bonus for me and I thank Sakurai and the rest of the development team for all the hard work that they do.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not hating on Chief, but I know a ton of people who were like "Steve would be fine AFTER Banjo gets in". Those people are now saying "Steve would be fine AFTER Master Chief gets in".
Wow. That's pretty messed up. They should be rooting for Fulgore.

Fulgore Square Up.jpeg

He used to be a Nintendo character just like Banjo, and honestly, he has better music to bring with him.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Be fair, I only do that to the poor souls deluded enough to believe they are getting "upgrades". Better than giving them false hope.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Be fair, I only do that to the poor souls deluded enough to believe they are getting "upgrades". Better than giving them false hope.
You know I thought I was being negative but geez you take it to another level. Who do you think is getting in?

I.D.

Smash Lord
You know I thought I was being negative but geez you take it to another level. Who do you think is getting in?
The same thing we got in pass 1: brand new third parties and potential promo-picks with no content in Ultimate.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Byleth is probably the most important Smash character reveal of all time because of the effect he's had on the community and the public perception of Smash Bros. and Masahiro Sakurai.
Years of good will ****ing eradicated in one character. Many people now think Sakurai is a liar and a back peddler due to his comments about Rex. He'll be lucky if even half the the people who bought the first pass buy the second.
So you're saying you're gonna pre-order Season 2 before they reveal any character? Okay. I wouldn't recommend it, but whatever.

I personally would wait until a character you really like is in the pass, like how I did with Terry Bogard. And I managed to get Banjo, Hero and Joker out of it too.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Dante were to be in, his reveal trailer should be something like this with Bayonetta.

Wow. That's pretty messed up. They should be rooting for Fulgore.

View attachment 258565

He used to be a Nintendo character just like Banjo, and honestly, he has better music to bring with him.
What about all the Black Orchid fans? :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom