• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
when did I say or imply anything other than people are treating Byleth poorly for no reason
I haven't touched this conversation but I read it a bit & it doesn't seem lime you implied anything at all... Byleth actuslly has me hyped, & I don't particularly lovr FE. I'm getti g 3 houses later this year, & that will be my first game in the series...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
when did I say or imply anything other than people are treating Byleth poorly for no reason
You're trying to argue Byleth isn't that bad to people who've only posted about how mad they are that Byleth's in. They won't bother actually listening, they're just mad and as seem with Corrin, can and will still be as mad 3 years from now. Seriously, I remember seeing some K.Rool fan lose his mind after Corrin was on the Ultimate blog due to him expecting a K.Rool announcement because the blog was late

D

Deleted member

Imagine if this was the beginning of a smash trailer or something
Just replace the anime boi and dragon(s) with any character.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
You're trying to argue Byleth isn't that bad to people who've only posted about how mad they are that Byleth's in. They won't bother actually listening, they're just mad and as seem with Corrin, can and will still be as mad 3 years from now. Seriously, I remember seeing some K.Rool fan lose his mind after Corrin was on the Ultimate blog due to him expecting a K.Rool announcement because the blog was late
I guess you’re right. But those who would bother listening are the ones who probably aren’t actually angry about it and realize they’re acting angry for no reason. And I feel like the K Rool situation applies to every character we get, not just FE characters. If somebody really wants a character that bad, they’ll be furious when Sakurai dares to add another character

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I guess you’re right. But those who would bother listening are the ones who probably aren’t actually angry about it and realize they’re acting angry for no reason. And I feel like the K Rool situation applies to every character we get, not just FE characters. If somebody really wants a character that bad, they’ll be furious when Sakurai dares to add another character
Oh the K.Rool example is simply an example of one guy losing his **** at Corrin all over again in 2018, about 2 and a half years after their inclusion. Smash fans are ****ing loons, I've seen multiple people on this site dox themselves, one of those being today

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Oh the K.Rool example is simply an example of one guy losing his **** at Corrin all over again in 2018, about 2 and a half years after their inclusion. Smash fans are ****ing loons, I've seen multiple people on this site dox themselves, one of those being today
Bruh, people seem to forget that they can’t have whatever they want in this video game. It’s insane how they act like children when they don’t get their favorite character

I.D.

Smash Lord
Okay, so let me get this straight. You’re claiming that people don’t say there are too many Fire Emblem characters, and you’re claiming people don’t think they’re too similar?
And another one.

Now that that's done here are your claims:
-People are dumbasses who think every character with a sword is the same
Proven wrong by the fact that Hero doesn't have tens of thousands of dislikes in his trailer nor his presentation.
-People dislike FE's representation and yet ask for more shillmons
Obviously not the same group of people. In fact I don't see many people asking for sword/shield rep in general.
-Byleth makes FE representation more balanced so there is no reason to hate him
FE already had 4 unique movesets, that's more than things like Zelda or Kirby, seems balanced enough to me.
-You only dislike the character because you don't understand him
How many people can claim they have played all of the fighter's pass games? I have never played Persona 5 for example and I'd be many others haven't. Joker's trailer and presentation don't have tens of thousand of dislikes.
-You only dislike the character because you wanted X instead
Can be applied to literally every DLC character. None of them have generated this much controversy.

Now let's the to the heart of the matter: people complain about the amount of Fire Emblem characters because we are, in fact, getting our 8th Fire Emblem character. It doesn't have **** to do with swords, anime, JRPGs, not playing the game, not getting X other character, Pokemon, the trailer not being "hype" enough or whatever new excuse you people cook up.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I haven't touched this conversation but I read it a bit & it doesn't seem lime you implied anything at all... Byleth actuslly has me hyped, & I don't particularly lovr FE. I'm getti g 3 houses later this year, & that will be my first game in the series...
Well if liked Byleth in smash before, you’re gonna love them after playing Three Houses. I know plenty of people who would be angry, but are actually super hyped because of how badly they loved Three Houses.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I want to clarify that I'm not angry for Byleth, in fact I'm quite happy that a first party is in the pass, because it opens to the possibility for more of them.

My complain is that their moveset is (IMO) unimpressive and unoriginal. But this is a complain I have of most of the newcomers of Ultimate.

And I like Corrin because at least it had a fresh moveset and was fun to play as/against; I have nothing against Fire Emblem, though at the same time I would have prefered another franchise to get a new rep rather than Fire Emblem because FE already has many characters while other franchises with potential are left in the dust. Also I'm annoyed by the fact that most newcomer look like stereotyped anime characters, Fire Emblem or not.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bruh, people seem to forget that they can’t have whatever they want in this video game. It’s insane how they act like children when they don’t get their favorite character
I remember a friend seeing the Papagenos meltdown and saying that people not getting what they want can reflect their true nature. Guess it makes sense as my irl friends barely talked about Byleth until like, an hour after the presentation, which is a ****ing world record when compared to people here and other social media

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also I'm annoyed by the fact that most newcomer look like anime characters, Fire Emblem or not.
holy **** a japanese game has japanese characters? what???????? that's crazy. unacceptable.

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So everyone got their six guesses in for this next pack. I know I do. I'm calling it now:

2B
Dante *although I want Nero in more*
Phoenix Wright
Chun-Li/Morrigan
Rex
Master Chief or Sora

No specific order except for Chief/Sora. Sakurai mentioned that the last fighter going to take longer

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So everyone got their six guesses in for this next pack. I know I do. I'm calling it now:

2B
Dante *although I want Nero in more*
Phoenix Wright
Chun-Li/Morrigan
Rex
Master Chief or Sora

No specific order except for Chief/Sora. Sakurai mentioned that the last fighter going to take longer
bro why do you have 3 capcom characters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, anyone wanna write down what characters they want to see make stage cameos in their most wanted's stage?

Got mine: Riku, Kairi, Axel, Roxas, Namine, Squall, Aerith and Yuffie.

bro why do you have 3 capcom characters
Because apparently all you gotta do is ask nicely and Capcom will give you. All their characters.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
holy **** a japanese game has japanese characters? what???????? that's crazy. unacceptable.
Stereotyped anime characters with human proportions.
I know that Pikachu and Mario are technically "anime" too, but come on, you know what I mean.
In Smash 64 only 3 characters out of 12 looked that way, and I'm stretching this a lot, because the thing with Samus with the armor on and Cpt Falcon is debatable.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think what it meant was that there's a difference between being a Japanese character and looking like an anime character, just look at Mario, Kirby or Sonic characters, they are japanese but they don't look like pretty anime boys... and if they did, Mario would look like this:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
And another one.

Now that that's done here are your claims:
-People are dumbasses who think every character with a sword is the same
Proven wrong by the fact that Hero doesn't have tens of thousands of dislikes in his trailer nor his presentation.
-People dislike FE's representation and yet ask for more shillmons
Obviously not the same group of people. In fact I don't see many people asking for sword/shield rep in general.
-Byleth makes FE representation more balanced so there is no reason to hate him
FE already had 4 unique movesets, that's more than things like Zelda or Kirby, seems balanced enough to me.
-You only dislike the character because you don't understand him
How many people can claim they have played all of the fighter's pass games? I have never played Persona 5 for example and I'd be many others haven't. Joker's trailer and presentation don't have tens of thousand of dislikes.
-You only dislike the character because you wanted X instead
Can be applied to literally every DLC character. None of them have generated this much controversy.

Now let's the to the heart of the matter: people complain about the amount of Fire Emblem characters because we are, in fact, getting our 8th Fire Emblem character. It doesn't have **** to do with swords, anime, JRPGs, not playing the game, not getting X other character, Pokemon, the trailer not being "hype" enough or whatever new excuse you people cook up.
So apparently me asking you to clarify something is counted as a strawman. I was kind of worried that would happen, but whatever.
Now let’s respond to each one of your claims

-I was using the excuse I’ve heard the most. ‘They’re all swordsmen’. If you’re saying that people should hate Hero as well if they say things like that, then I agree.
-If you say they’re not the same group of people, and I have no way to prove they are, then I’m forced to believe you.
-Except as 90% of Byleth haters say, ‘they’re all swordsmen’. So the fact that Byleth is pretty much only 1/4 of a swordsmen should’ve made them happy. It didn’t.
-I didn’t mean they didn’t understand him as they didn’t play the game. I meant they didn’t understand his moveset and didn’t take time to realize that he’s not an anime swordsman.
-The reason none of them have caused this much controversy is because nobody expected a 1st party character to be the final Fighter’s pass, and many people expected Dante, since he had quite a few pieces of evidence supporting him. It’s obvious plenty of people expected something big, but just because they did doesn’t mean they should be angry at Byleth.

If you’re angry because you’re getting you’re 8th FE character, and you’re stating that as of right now, then it’s impossible for my original message to be full of straw men, as one of my claims for why you were angry was over-representation, in which case, I’m gonna state what I did before: we have 10 Pokémon, 9 Mario characters and you’re getting angry over the 8th character in a series.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think what it meant was that there's a difference between being a Japanese character and looking like an anime character, just look at Mario, Kirby or Sonic characters, they are japanese but they don't look like pretty anime boys... and if they did, Mario would look like this:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think you realize how cool most Capcom characters are
gwen if i can make someone on the internet make a fake amingo leak i think i understand the power of capcom

Stereotyped anime characters with human proportions.
Again, a Japanese game involves Japanese characters, which happen to be exactly like this most of the time. I can understand if people don't like it, but it's already half of the damn roster. It's inescapable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
1579361390612.png

1579361896787.png

Thought it might be fun to compare the like/dislike ratio on the Byleth video in Japanese and American English.

It's a lot closer then I thought it would be, to be honest, and while both have far more dislikes then most Smash reveals the ratio is still mostly positive.

Edit: Oh, wrong thread, lol. Still, enjoy the fact I guess.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Again, a Japanese game involves Japanese characters, which happen to be exactly like this most of the time. I can understand if people don't like it, but it's already half of the damn roster. It's inescapable.
Just because a bunch of Japanese games follow this trend doesn't mean the rest should. We as international customers should have the right to cry foul when things get played too safe.

D

Deleted member

Prettty much what I feel like after all the anti-Byleth stuff is starting to chill:
DC7BD891-4589-48FE-9752-695CB5B7E051.jpeg

#NevergonnahappenbutgibmePaleMoonforSmash

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Chrom doesn't render Roy redundant because there are more differences between Roy and Chrom vs Marth and Lucina. Blazer vs Soaring Slash, the slight hitbox adjustment on Chrom's forward tilt, and Roy's fire hitboxes make it much more of a sidegrade.

Just look at how close Roy and Chrom are on tier lists vs Marth and Lucina.
I just don't like how Chrom is just an easier Roy with an Ike Up-B. If he had his own attributes like say being slower or faster than Roy with maybe a small wind hitbox with his attacks or something like different damage properties like the forward aerial having a meteor smash effect at the bottom, I'd accept his inclusion more. However that's just part of a bigger problem I have with Echo fighters in general.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean if :ultfalcon::ultkingdedede: surely hates anime characters, who are we to argue with the notion? :troll:

I just don't like how Chrom is just an easier Roy with an Ike Up-B. If he had his own attributes like say being slower or faster than Roy with maybe a small wind hitbox with his attacks or something like different damage properties like the forward aerial having a meteor smash effect at the bottom, I'd accept his inclusion more. However that's just part of a bigger problem I have with Echo fighters in general.
Hey, at least :ultdarksamus: has cool animations!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom