• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping the fighers pass v2 will feature scorpion & lara croft, and probably a gen 8 pokemon like Urshifu. Its been said that there is already recordings for master chief as well

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For starters, we already have four that come from the same playstyle, so we have Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom (I know they play different, just working with hypothesis). Now we need four to finish up: Alm, Eliwood, Leif and Lyn (only obstacle for her is a different cloth style than the other 7). More games represented with one single character: Visual distinctions, same play style.
Roy and Chrom have way too many differences to be relegated to Marth costumes. They don't play anywhere near the same way.

Leif's also the only one of the new suggestions that could feasibly work. Eliwood's Durandal is MASSIVE and would fit better on Ike if anything, Lyn uses a completely different eastern fighting style due to the Mani Katti and Sol Katti being katanas, and Alm is left handed so he'd need to have a ton of animation changes.

Not to mention that making them all costumes of each other would gut them of their unique personalities, in addition to their fighting styles. This is a terrible idea.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm all for tweaking Fire Emblem characters to make them less clone-y. Give Marth his Fire Emblem, man.

View attachment 258488

And for people who nag about Fire Emblem overrepresentation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
I don't care about a series having more characters than others, I have no problems with that.

It's not the number but the variety.
There are 4 characters who share the same moveset (more or less). Echo or not, this is not good IMO.
The same for the 3 links. I like Young Link and it's my favorite version, but it's such a wasted opportunity... his moveset should have been based around masks and ocarina songs, and his final smash should have been fierce deity... he's a clone instead.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Roy and Chrom have way too many differences to be relegated to Marth costumes. They don't play anywhere near the same way.

Leif's also the only one of the new suggestions that could feasibly work. Eliwood's Durandal is MASSIVE and would fit better on Ike if anything, Lyn uses a completely different eastern fighting style due to the Mani Katti and Sol Katti being katanas, and Alm is left handed so he'd need to have a ton of animation changes.

Not to mention that making them all costumes of each other would gut them of their unique personalities, in addition to their fighting styles. This is a terrible idea.
To be fair Durandel is only obtained at the end of the game and most FE fans I've seen sooner associate typical rapiers with Eliwood

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So uhhhh

What is everyone's thoughts on a Bandai Namco rep now?
I say a pretty good chance. Still surprised they didn't get one for Base or the first pass though given Namco's involvement with Smash since 4.

KOS-MOS' chances I feel has dwindled. I think it comes down to Heihachi or Lloyd.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair Durandel is only obtained at the end of the game and most FE fans I've seen sooner associate typical rapiers with Eliwood
To counter, Eliwood is always given Durandal in more modern promotional material, including Heroes, and with the exception of Chrom due to asset reuse, all Fire Emblem characters in Smash use their endgame weapons. Like Corrin with the Omega Yato.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now we need four to finish up: Alm, Eliwood, Leif and Lyn (only obstacle for her is a different cloth style than the other 7).
Eliwood has a big ass sword, and Lyn makes no sense.

Throw in Sigurd and Seliph and maybe I can go with it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To counter, Eliwood is always given Durandal in more modern promotional material, including Heroes, and with the exception of Chrom due to asset reuse, all Fire Emblem characters in Smash use their endgame weapons. Like Corrin with the Omega Yato.
Fair enough, though at the same time you mentioned Corrin so I now need to post this here

I.D.

Smash Lord
Lets be honest here, the ONLY reason Fire Emblem has 8 characters is because of 'Everyone Is Here', were that not the case, its almost a certainty that Lucina & Roy would have been cut and Chrom wouldn't have been made as an Echo Fighter
Only one Fire Emblem character has gotten cut and he was brought back as paid DLC in the next game. There's no historical precedence to affirm that several FE characters would have gotten cut if everyone is here hadn't been a thing.

D

Deleted member

I most certainly won't be desperate anymore but I can assure that I'll just chillax and watch the discussion unfold. Probably the first character will introduce me to my next favorite franchise...

Lesley, Asuka from Senran Kagura is gonna be in...

Shaddap. Smash is for good boys and girls *heart breaks* and I'll never get Morrigan...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I most certainly won't be desperate anymore but I can assure that I'll just chillax and watch the discussion unfold. Probably the first character will introduce me to my next favorite franchise...

Lesley, Asuka from Senran Kagura is gonna be in...

Shaddap. Smash is for good boys and girls *heart breaks* and I'll never get Morrigan...
Morrigan's design doesn't really have any problematic elements, at worst she'd have a reduced bust size like Byleth and while she's a very ah... Sensual... Character, Bayonetta got in with her trailer alluding to one of her most iconic lines that has the F word in it

D

Deleted member

Morrigan's design doesn't really have any problematic elements, at worst she'd have a reduced bust size like Byleth and while she's a very ah... Sensual... Character, Bayonetta got in with her trailer alluding to one of her most iconic lines that has the F word in it
Good luck to the Smash designers for that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I decided to take a crack at what a potential pack for Fiora would look like.

There’s still a **** ton of Xenoblade 1 content that’s still been untapped, in fact you could say that only half of the game is represented because of the immense scope of it, so Fiora could bring in the rest of it.

I’d make a template version of it but I don’t have my computer on me atm so I made a thread on Twitter:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Additionally I also made one for Euden from Dragalia Lost too so give that a look as well:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
people are weak, they will buy the pass anyway. Ill be shocked if people actually had the strength to not buy the pass
I'm not sure of that myself. Sakurai mentioned the problems with DLC is that as time goes on, it becomes less profitable as people trail off. I would think the goal with a Fighter's Pass is to hook people in so they become invested in getting more. Handle it poorly (not saying they did), then there will be a lot less who buy it, particularly being $5 more. I love it--I'm so glad they made enough with the first pass that we got another one, with one additional character. Gives me hope. But I've seen many people skip the first pass who I would think would have gotten it, and heard some people after Byleth who said they are absolutely not buying the second pass until they know who's on it and may go piecemeal, and unless they come right out with a big character to wow people and continue to trust their picks, not sure how many of those they lost that won't be coming back for more. I'm hopeful, though.

They got me already, though. Now that I have all the characters, including *whispers* some I wish I hadn't got but can't remove them, I might as well go for a full roster, regardless of how much I like them. Fingers crossed at least 1-2 appeal to my tastes.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So after reading some of the hate on FE characters being over-represented, I am incredibly confused. You guys appear to not understand that just because they both have swords, doesn’t mean they’re the same person. You also don’t seem to understand that echo fighters and clones are supposed to be the same. So if you’re angry about the over-representation, how come you ask for even more pokemon, like Sceptile, Grookey, and a Sword and Shield rep, when we already have ten different Pokemon? And if you’re angry because they’re all similar, why would you be angry at Byleth’s inclusion when it’s making it so we have more unique FE characters. In fact, Byleth has a really unique moveset that’s only really similar to one or two other characters. So if you really care about them being too similar, there’s no reason to hate Byleth.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So after reading some of the hate on FE characters being over-represented, I am incredibly confused. You guys appear to not understand that just because they both have swords, doesn’t mean they’re the same person. You also don’t seem to understand that echo fighters and clones are supposed to be the same. So if you’re angry about the over-representation, how come you ask for even more pokemon, like Sceptile, Grookey, and a Sword and Shield rep, when we already have ten different Pokemon? And if you’re angry because they’re all similar, why would you be angry at Byleth’s inclusion when it’s making it so we have more unique FE characters. In fact, Byleth has a really unique moveset that’s only really similar to one or two other characters. So if you really care about them being too similar, there’s no reason to hate Byleth.
With a little bit more effort you could have included 3 extra strawmen in there.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For people who nag about Fire Emblem over representation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
This is what I would do

Keep: :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultbyleth:
Remove: :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrin:

I'm just annoyed that Lucina and Chrom act as easier versions of Marth and Roy so it just renders the latter characters obsolete. Why pick Marth and Roy when Lucina and Chrom don't suffer the issues of having to time the tipper or get up close to your opponent?

Also Corrin is just boring.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
With a little bit more effort you could have included 3 extra strawmen in there.
Whatever you say. I don’t care what you think of the argument, there’s no reason to be mad at Byleth and the only real reasons you would is because you don’t understand the character at all or you expected Dante or your favorite character from so and so or some other character you wanted and you didn’t get your way.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Whatever you say. I don’t care what you think of the argument, there’s no reason to be mad at Byleth and the only real reasons you would is because you don’t understand the character at all or you expected Dante or your favorite character from so and so or some other character you wanted and you didn’t get your way.
2 more strawmen. Only 1 to go.

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
Gen 8 Pokemon and Geno In the next pass?
With Byleth showing up just kinda leads me to believe that’s a possibility. Could be wrong though.

blackghost

Smash Champion
peopleare already diving into the deep end on these guesses huh. byleth may have made some people upset but it gave waluigi fans hope. idont know whether that is impressive or depressing that they still have hope.

i stillepxect pass 2 to be mostly third parties.dante and/or 2b feel like solid guess. xenoblade will get something with its definitive edition release. dont think geno is getting in. an indie character is possible whether it was decided to pick a modern favorite (hollow knight) over an old school favorite such as shantae remains to be seen.

also the fact that these character are releasing with over two years of total dev time is intriguing. possibly we are getting more complex characters? a character like dnate would need mechanics like style change to feel authentic.

one pther thing we almost never discuss is who fits as a good preium costume like cuphead?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is what I would do

Keep: :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultbyleth:
Remove: :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrin:

I'm just annoyed that Lucina and Chrom act as easier versions of Marth and Roy so it just renders the latter characters obsolete. Why pick Marth and Roy when Lucina and Chrom don't suffer the issues of having to time the tipper or get up close to your opponent?

Also Corrin is just boring.
Chrom doesn't render Roy redundant because there are more differences between Roy and Chrom vs Marth and Lucina. Blazer vs Soaring Slash, the slight hitbox adjustment on Chrom's forward tilt, and Roy's fire hitboxes make it much more of a sidegrade.

Just look at how close Roy and Chrom are on tier lists vs Marth and Lucina.

D

Deleted member

Hello Newcomer thread, it's ya boi from the social thread, meeeee!
Congrats to anyone who wanted Byleth! I didn't, but considering my most wanteds, I woulda been disappointed with almost anything.

Since we know there are 6 more coming, gonna list out my "top 6 characters that would make me scream out in joy" list, aka my most wanteds merged into the next 6 fighters.

If you don't know who the hell any of these people are, that's okay. that's kinda the point lol
Gonna copy paste my post from the social thread(along with a graphic I made) because I'm not gonna type that **** all over again.

1. Nicol Bolas(or any other Planeswalker, doesn't really matter to me)
2. Ojama King(for the lols)
3. Yuga, with Garga, Garcat, and Gardog, Pokemon Trainer Style(not the Yugioh Sevens Yuga, the Buddyfight one)
4. Aichi Sendou, gimmick would be form changes based on the units he commonly uses( Blaster Blade, Arc Saver Dragon, etc)
5. Mugendra(again for the lols)
6. Gao, again Pokemon Trainer style, with Bal, Drum, and Batzz.

If any of these 6 make it in, I will be ****ing ecstatic with joy. The only semi-realistic one I can think of thou is a Planeswalker, because no anime bois.

Now for the graphic, characters are pictured in the same order as above:
download (8).jpg

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai says that Smash isn't the average fighting game... Its a celebration of gaming... Mortal Kombat 11 was insanely popular ladt year... Doesn't that mean Scorpion or at least Sub Zero should grt a spot?

And then theres Lara Croft... Shes insanely well known & is still getting games to this day... Shes right up with Samus & Peach as one of the most popular eomen in history! She needs a spot in my opinion... I'm going to riot if neither of them are in

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
2 more strawmen. Only 1 to go.
Okay, so let me get this straight. You’re claiming that people don’t say there are too many Fire Emblem characters, and you’re claiming people don’t think they’re too similar?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
And for people who nag about Fire Emblem overrepresentation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
None. :)

Nah, I'm kidding. I don't know Fire Emblem enough. More seriously, I would say: fewer than Zelda.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cute, you think the people who hate FE so much so that they can't go 5 minutes without getting upset about FE are being logical
I'm not sure of that myself. Sakurai mentioned the problems with DLC is that as time goes on, it becomes less profitable as people trail off. I would think the goal with a Fighter's Pass is to hook people in so they become invested in getting more. Handle it poorly (not saying they did), then there will be a lot less who buy it, particularly being $5 more. I love it--I'm so glad they made enough with the first pass that we got another one, with one additional character. Gives me hope. But I've seen many people skip the first pass who I would think would have gotten it, and heard some people after Byleth who said they are absolutely not buying the second pass until they know who's on it and may go piecemeal, and unless they come right out with a big character to wow people and continue to trust their picks, not sure how many of those they lost that won't be coming back for more. I'm hopeful, though.

They got me already, though. Now that I have all the characters, including *whispers* some I wish I hadn't got but can't remove them, I might as well go for a full roster, regardless of how much I like them. Fingers crossed at least 1-2 appeal to my tastes.
A lot of the people claiming they'd boycott V2 after Byleth WILL buy Vol2 after they see it though. It's like how people claimed they wouldn't buy Ultimate after the Grinch **** then later ended up buying Ultimate

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai says that Smash isn't the average fighting game... Its a celebration of gaming... Mortal Kombat 11 was insanely popular ladt year... Doesn't that mean Scorpion or at least Sub Zero should grt a spot?
I'd buy it instantly.

It isn't in your universe. :ness:
Jokes on you, I've played most Fire Emblem games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom