• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
He's got a horse right? There's your gimmick. Though considering he uses a sword it'd be hard to allow him to hit anyone whilst upon it. Hmm...

Um...Like, beast men or...people into them?

Reminds me of a "badly explaining anime plots" challenge. lol
True, Sigurd being mounted is unique, but it's such a janky design for Smash that I don't see it being implemented well or at all. Also, Sigurd is visually similar to other FE reps with the blue hair and royal/medieval outfit. For a Genealogy rep, I'd rather have Arvis, who is one of the FE fandom's favorite and best villains. He uses fire magic, can be armored for weight diversity, and of course is a villain so the context of his character in Smash will be different from every other FE character.

1579310891548.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can see Octoling but why Elma
Rex's Costume was treated the same way as Chrom's "I'll get my chance another day" back in 4

and yes i KNOW Elma's a Spirit. So's Bandana Dee, Shantae, Rayman, Octoling Girl & Boy (aka the OE ones), Black Shadow cause I'm the only one here who cares about him but you don't see ppl shooting them down cause of that. Plus, the conditions for Elma's Spirit unlock are... very unique to say the least, most can play the game and not even KNOW she's a Spirit unless they free 50 fighters in WoL. that's the thing.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Gruntilda would be a great addition. A super heavyweight spell caster. The kinda character Ganondorf could be

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nasty divorce with Pac-Man. She hired AtGames to represent her, while Pac-Man's employer, Bandai Namco, is handling the split with their own company lawyers.
So...I guess we won't be seeing any Mrs. (Ms.?) PAC-MAN related content anymore will we?

Why do companies gotta take characters and then do nothing with them?

Gruntilda would be a great addition. A super heavyweight spell caster. The kinda character Ganondorf could be
Alright I'll back your concept, but if Ganondorf starts rhyming Imma walk.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Agree, I would pick her if Banjo-Kazooie got a 2nd rep.
(If you play as Gruntilda on Spiral Mountain, the other Grunty won't be there, just like Alucard and Wii fit stage.)

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Has there been any discussion about the theory that Jill was supposed to be in the fighters pass(and I'd assume DLC 5) but got dropped to a spirit after the negotiations failed and Byleth was a late replacement? Someone in the speculation scene had gotten info early last year(I want to say Papagenos but IDK) that Jill's negotiations failed but didn't know why, just that they failed. It could explain why Rex and Springman were too early but Byleth wasn't and why there were no Capcom characters in the pass despite being so easy to work with and having so many good picks

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So since Ubisoft has 2 costumes in, do you think we're getting a rep soon? I checked other mii costumes that aren't indies and all of them are ones that are under the trademarks.

cothero

Smash Lord
Nasty divorce with Pac-Man. She hired AtGames to represent her, while Pac-Man's employer, Bandai Namco, is handling the split with their own company lawyers.
It has also been rumoured that Pac-Man is involved with domestic violence against Mrs. Pac-Man. That happy face hides some dark secrets, apparently.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I admit I was disappointed that Byleth was the last character, mainly because of it being another Fire Emblem character when Ultimate is saturated with FE content in the base game already, especially since other series are lacking in content(like Xenoblade and Namco). And it didn't help this was the same week Astral Chain was spirited away despite it being an ideal new 1st party IP to add.

That said though there's more chances with 6 more slots. Namco to me is a very safe bet as the 1st season has gone by already and there's absolutely no Namco costumes at all so far which makes it very suspicious.

So a Tales Rep, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa are 3 characters I'm guessing will be in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I admit I was disappointed that Byleth was the last character, mainly because of it being another Fire Emblem character when Ultimate is saturated with FE content in the base game already, especially since other series are lacking in content(like Xenoblade and Namco). And it didn't help this was the same week Astral Chain was spirited away despite it being an ideal new 1st party IP to add.

That said though there's more chances with 6 more slots. Namco to me is a very safe bet as the 1st season has gone by already and there's absolutely no Namco costumes at all so far which makes it very suspicious.

So a Tales Rep, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa are 3 characters I'm guessing will be in.
I think there's a high probability that Capcom and Namco have a real shot.

Out of 11 DLC characters for Ultimate, you'd have to think those two companies would respectively have at least one. Between them we have:

Heihachi
Lloyd Irving
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Amaterasu
Monster Hunter (depends with content already present)
...and many more!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Has there been any discussion about the theory that Jill was supposed to be in the fighters pass(and I'd assume DLC 5) but got dropped to a spirit after the negotiations failed and Byleth was a late replacement? Someone in the speculation scene had gotten info early last year(I want to say Papagenos but IDK) that Jill's negotiations failed but didn't know why, just that they failed. It could explain why Rex and Springman were too early but Byleth wasn't and why there were no Capcom characters in the pass despite being so easy to work with and having so many good picks
There are rumours that Jill was planned. There are also rumours Ryu Hayabusa was planned.

It wouldn't surprise me if Byleth wasn't originally intended for this pack.

So since Ubisoft has 2 costumes in, do you think we're getting a rep soon? I checked other mii costumes that aren't indies and all of them are ones that are under the trademarks.
I think it's a red herring. Unless Ubisoft is going to be spilling over with costumes, which I doubt, I don't understand why they showed up now instead of, y'know, actually with the character. Especially if it's Rayman. Then the Rabbids being released now is like KoF/SamSho costumes not releasing with Terry.

And my axe!

Ngl, had to reach right to the back of the memory banks for that one.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Am I the only one who still thinks that Spirits, Assist Trophies, Stage Hazards, and background characters deconfirm new fighters?
You're not the only one, dude.
I don't see Spirits, Assist Trophies, and Stage Hazards being upgraded into fighter.
Background characters are iffy considering Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage.
Technically Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a new world that's part of the Fire Emblem franchise.
Sword and Shield in still part of the Pokemon world so I don't see any Gen 8 Pokemon becoming a DLC fighter.
Good morning everyone.
Oh boy. You're back.
Are you happy with Byleth, Lesley?

cothero

Smash Lord

The thing that bother me most is the time they plan to realease all six characters: all of them are supposed to be released until december 2021. It's a long *** time to wait to have the complete DLC pack. Looks like they want to extend Ultimate's lifespan to the maximum with this. I'm expecting at last three announcements per yer, maybe the first two being in this year's E3 and the next one by the end of the year.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There are rumours that Jill was planned. There are also rumours Ryu Hayabusa was planned.
The main thing holding me back from believe the Ryu one is that, unless there's a different one going around, that it said something about Fighters Pass 3 being confirmed behind the scenes and I just really have a hard time believing that we're getting another pass after this one

cothero

Smash Lord
Jill's spirit absence is indeed very strange, but i don't think it has something to do with Byleth been her replacement. Fighters are planned well in advance.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I find that "Hayabusa was replaced with Byleth leak" hilarious. It's like the epitome of the Hayabusa leaks.

By no means is he "not happening" or something, because he could absolutely happen and Ninja Gaiden could totally cross over.

But let's be real: The concept that, "Yeah, I know that Hayabusa, the king of characters included in fake leaks, was originally planned, and now I know he's in pass 2, but I don't actually know the character he was swapped with except for this really vague comment."

This would also imply that Hayabusa would have been passed over early on, because you can't just produce certain things in days to replace things.

I also doubt Jill Valentine was planned and then scrapped. You're telling me they negotiated with Capcom and then just...didn't get anything from Capcom at all in terms of fighters? Not buying it. If she was planned to be in the future, she wouldn't be a spirit. Resident Evil is dead and gone.

Don't even try to convince me, the Jonesposter of Resident Evil, that it's going to rise from the ashes. It's dead.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It's funny because while I was watching Byleth's trailer, all I could think about was how their moveset reminded me of Monster Hunter with the various large weapons and the emphasis on switching between them. A small part of me thought that Nintendo originally planned to put Monster Hunter in and got some of the work done, but for some reason they lost the rights partway through and instead of scrapping what they had, they integrated the existing work into Byleth.

But that's just a theory...
a game theory

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The only thing that's not making me 100% certain of a Gen 8 Pokemon rep for the second fighters pass is the existence of the spirit event. If there is going to be a Gen 8 rep, it would have made more sense to save those spirits for the release.

D

Deleted member

I don't really believe this to be the case. They finalized the DLC lineup a month before Ultimate released with Sakurai also stating he was the 1 that decided if he can make it work or not, so why would Capcom pull out of a deal months later only for them to just get added as spirits very later on?

A theory I could see being true about Byleth's placement in the Fighter Pass would be that Byleth was intended to be FP4 while Terry was going to be FP5, but Three Houses got delayed from Spring to July and they had to switch spots because of it. Sakurai did mention he played through an early version of Three Houses, but I imagine it wasn't as early as spring. There would've been enough time to develop Byleth in Smash for a November release date had the game not have been delayed, so they started developing Terry earlier than intended.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Calling it now.

Waluigi is going to be the next DLC character... with a catch.

He's going to be sold indivdually seperate from the Fighters Pass without any stage, music, or possibly even Mii Costumes.

I also think he'll be revealed in whatever February Direct and released on April Fool's Day. Basically, to appease the fans angered by his AT apperance and to tide over the fans until the first Fighters Pass reveal at E3.

And with his inclusion, both the "Spirits & AT deconfirm" rule is BTFO'd in one go just like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly at this point in time I don't think there's any obvious frontrunners for Fighters Pass 2 sure there's some characters that have a really good chance (Dante, 2B, Phoenix, Lloyd/Heihachi, Arle, etc.) but we still don't know the criteria for how they chose the characters this time around as they totally could've changed their criteria and who they may want.

I think it's smarter to wait for more info before getting ahead of ourselves with first parties and spirit upgrades. I really want them to happen but we still don't know if they will sure Byleth was a first party character meaning they could happen but that doesn't mean a lot of them will happen if anymore it could just be Byleth and that's it. Point is be careful for who you think are possible and who you think aren't cause we don't know and you really shouldn't get your hopes too high as they may get crushed.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sakurai literally said he played an early build just to get Byleth right

There was no last min replacement stuff going

they were always the intended last fighter in the pass

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Every DLC character comes with a stage, music, and a spirit board. I just don't see characters like Waluigi, Dixie, etc being in as they couldn't fill out the criteria for the DLC. So yeah I still think characters who are represented in Ultimate in some way will not be DLC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Calling it now.

Waluigi is going to be the next DLC character... with a catch.

He's going to be sold indivdually seperate from the Fighters Pass without any stage, music, or possibly even Mii Costumes.

I also think he'll be revealed in whatever February Direct and released on April Fool's Day. Basically, to appease the fans angered by his AT apperance and to tide over the fans until the first Fighters Pass reveal at E3.

And with his inclusion, both the "Spirits & AT deconfirm" rule is BTFO'd in one go just like that.
The optimist in me wants to believe this will be why these six FP2 characters will take longer to release than the six DLC characters we know about.

The pessimist says they downsized.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Every DLC character comes with a stage, music, and a spirit board. I just don't see characters like Waluigi, Dixie, etc being in as they couldn't fill out the criteria for the DLC. So yeah I still think characters who are represented in Ultimate in some way will not be DLC.
I think characters like that can still come with stages, music, and Spirit boards. You just have to dig deep enough. For example we don’t even have a new DK stage in this game, and there’s a ripe load they could take from Tropical Freeze for Dixie in both songs and a stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom