• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was thinking maybe a Mii sword fighter costume for him too. More wishful thinking on my part for a full blown fighter, I just love that game.
Same here. Playing it right now trying to beat at the moment. Been stuck on the fight for a while but I've had a lot of fun still

cosmicB

Smash Ace
By the way, I’m extremely hyped by the prospect that we continue to get “Deluxe” Mii costumes for Indie stars.

First Sans, now Cuphead? They’re excellent and seem to achieve what people want from Mii’s in the first place: making it seem as though those characters are actually in Smash.

I feel like Shovel Knight makes perfect sense as a Deluxe Swordfighter, mainly because he’s got that helmet and armor to essentially cover up any body part. Based on that, I could definitely see somebody like Hollow Knight get the nod.

Real excited to see who comes next.
Honestly, I'm excited for this too. I also hope it isn't only limited to Indie characters.

I know a lot of people see Mii costumes as poor consolation prizes more than anything, but I think it's a great way to flesh out the amount of represented series when all is said and done. Assuming there's no season 3 fighters pass, 6 characters really isn't a lot when you consider the history of gaming and all the franchises that still have zero presence in Smash, even if we discount first party rivalries. With Mii costumes, there's basically unlimited potential and I can't imagine they're super hard to make (at least relative to everything else in the game). Yeah, there WILL be people that see certain costumes as basically a middle finger to their desired character, but I wouldn't see it that way at all even if all my top picks end up as Mii costumes. Really, that might be the only way those characters get represented at all, and I'd be satisfied with it. Like, I can't see Monokuma being a fighter, but they got decent chances as a Mii costume based on how loose they've been with making them.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know its never gonna happen but i kinda want to see more assist trophies get added in via free updates. Mostly to see a bit more representation from some of the series.

Like say: Futaba is added in as a P5 assist trophy, that works so perfectly that I'm surprised it wasn't a thing. Maybe bring back some of the cut ones like Saki and Magnus.

Another part of me wants it just to see how salty this fanbase can get, say they added Pyra and Mythra as assists, because having a blade as an assist trophy makes perfect to me, or Shantae showing up as one. It'll lead to hours of hilarity.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
ok but the real question is

what will Byleth's codename be???
Htelyb
It's not just third-parties you know. Byleth opened the door to Nintendo promo-picks.
Have you met Corrin?
I might not be a Xenoblade fan, but I¨m crossing fingers for you that you guys will get something during the DLC cycle
Same here. The one side I'm fine with being angrier than usual over Byleth are the XB and Astral Chain fans since they're characters were directly passed over. Really hope they get something because Xenoblade is the only series I feel like is in actual need of another character. LoZ is close but not exactly because I'd like them to get another non Link or Zelda and that's different than being underrepped completely.
By the way, I’m extremely hyped by the prospect that we continue to get “Deluxe” Mii costumes for Indie stars.

First Sans, now Cuphead? They’re excellent and seem to achieve what people want from Mii’s in the first place: making it seem as though those characters are actually in Smash.

I feel like Shovel Knight makes perfect sense as a Deluxe Swordfighter, mainly because he’s got that helmet and armor to essentially cover up any body part. Based on that, I could definitely see somebody like Hollow Knight get the nod.

Real excited to see who comes next.
Same here! Those are pretty much what I always wanted the costumes to be.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
How do you factor in Ryuto Kawashima, a real life neurosurgeon, being an Assist Trophy, and Henry Fleming, protagonist of the novel The Red Badge of Courage, being a spirit?

It doesn't matter that they aren't fighters. Being in the game at all shows that public domain figures are absolutely fair game.
Again, this is not a public domain issue. This is a respect issue.

I don’t know much about Ryuto Kawashima so I can’t make an argument for or against him as an assist trophy and whether it’s appropriate or not. Red Badge of Courage is still fiction, and I offered an olive branch of Dynasty Warriors having spirits and that was obliviously ignored.
My argument is that Lu Bu or other characters who are in Dynasty Warriors (which is very strictly interpreting the original material, and not reinventing it save for gameplay) should not be fighters in Smash Brothers.
It would be disrespectful to the source material and people involved to put them on the level of Mario.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sure, TH stuff wasn't already in Ultimate, but I'm pretty sure one of the new remixes Byleth brought is another arrangement of FE's main theme.
That's not true. Byleth comes with a remix of the Three Houses main theme, which is the remix you hear in the trailer, not a remix of the series main theme.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That's not true. Byleth comes with a remix of the Three Houses main theme, which is the remix you hear in the trailer, not a remix of the series main theme.
Ah, I just heard a tune while Sakurai was talking after the trailer which had a part that sounded like one of the themes that played on Castle Siege in past Smash games, just remixed (not really sure if it's the main theme or if it's actually new tbh, but I think it was FE's victory theme in one Smash game as well and it sounded new to me), but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Still, an already-represented universe/franchise, and it's not like Sakurai has never changed his mind and broken rules based on things he's said, anyway.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
This guy

And consider trimming around half of that list.
I love Sigurd and Genealogy, but until I see a Genealogy remake exist before the end of the fighters pass and he has a workable gimmick that makes him stand out I just don't think he's a frontrunner imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know its never gonna happen but i kinda want to see more assist trophies get added in via free updates. Mostly to see a bit more representation from some of the series.

Like say: Futaba is added in as a P5 assist trophy, that works so perfectly that I'm surprised it wasn't a thing. Maybe bring back some of the cut ones like Saki and Magnus.

Another part of me wants it just to see how salty this fanbase can get, say they added Pyra and Mythra as assists, because having a blade as an assist trophy makes perfect to me, or Shantae showing up as one. It'll lead to hours of hilarity.
i would KILL for a free patched in Sephiroth AT. It sucks that Ryu and Bayo were the only 4 DLC characters that got a series AT in Ultimate

I.D.

Smash Lord
I love Sigurd and Genealogy, but until I see a Genealogy remake exist before the end of the fighters pass and he has a workable gimmick that makes him stand out I just don't think he's a frontrunner imo.
Doesn't even have to properly exist, just has to be in development.
Alternatively the main character from #FE. Have a feeling Sakurai likes that game.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing a bit of research on Sakurai and here is what I think so far in regards to the most likely dlc.

Dante
Travis Touchdown
2B (will need to give her shorts and most likely shorten the height of the slit on her outfit.)
A Bravely Default character
Lloyd Irving
Arle Nadja
A Nioh character
An Etrian Odyssey character

Characters I am 50/50 on.

Vergil (If sakurai decides to do a double reveal during the Dante showcase. Unsure if he would be an echo or his own character.)
Sora (Depending on if Sakurai wants to go through the effort of dealing with Disney)
Crash (Depending on if Sakurai decided to add another western character.)
Doom Slayer (Depending on if the Cacodemon mii costume leak is real, but even if it is we could just be getting Doom Slayer costume along with Cacodemon and other related costumes.)
Geno (Depending on if the Mallow mii costume leak is real, but even if it is we could just be getting Geno costume along with Mallow costume and other related costumes. Also depending on if the whole Spirit=Deconfirmed thing is true.)

Characters I am sure aren't coming

Any Assist Trophy (sorry wah warriors.)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, I see those theories y'all got there and while I respect them, I'm still gonna speculate some first parties.

Closing things off with fan theories makes this whole thing incredibly dull. And TBH, I don't give a dang diggity if I'm wrong, I'm gonna have fun with these second pass predictions. :p

Speaking of season 2 predictions: Y'all ain't ready for Waluigi time, baby. It's happening.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
i would KILL for a free patched in Sephiroth AT. It sucks that Ryu and Bayo were the only 4 DLC characters that got a series AT in Ultimate
What's funny is that I think all the good ideas for an FF assist trophy are already on his stage, with the eidolons.

Hypothetically who would you guys picks as an assist trophy with each of the current DLC fighters?

I personally think these work best: Futaba, King Slime, Mumbo Jumbo and Andy Bogard.

FE already has assist so Byleth get nothing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't add anybody so much as I'd trim that list down, pfft, almost 50%. A lot of these characters just seem to be included for being staples of conversation without much edge past that which would actually elevate them from "a possibility" to "a front-runner".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What's funny is that I think all the good ideas for an FF assist trophy are already on his stage, with the eidolons.

Hypothetically who would you guys picks as an assist trophy with each of the current DLC fighters?

I personally think these work best: Futaba, King Slime, Mumbo Jumbo and Andy Bogard.

FE already has assist so Byleth get nothing.
SNK - one of the female KoF fighters. King?
Banjo - Gruntilda? If Microsoft/Rare in general, THE FREAKIN BATTLETOADS.
Persona - Nyx Avatar from Persona 3. Hey, you didn't say it had to be from the exact same installment
Dragon Quest - ... Jessica?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I see those theories y'all got there and while I respect them, I'm still gonna speculate some first parties.

Closing things off with fan theories makes this whole thing incredibly dull. And TBH, I don't give a dang diggity if I'm wrong, I'm gonna have fun with these second pass predictions. :p

Speaking of season 2 predictions: Y'all ain't ready for Waluigi time, baby. It's happening.
Honestly? Being wrong about promotions and first parties is a crow I'd happily eat. :joyful:

I know you were just speaking generally and I agree that relying too much on fanrules stifles conversation. It's just what I believe at the moment.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think Dante is debatable because the other Capcom characters still have the chance to get in before him. And before it's pointed out, no I'm not saying that because of my Phoenix Wright bias.

Okay maybe a little bit.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly? Being wrong about promotions and first parties is a crow I'd happily eat. :joyful:

I know you were just speaking generally and I agree that relying too much on fanrules stifles conversation. It's just what I believe at the moment.
Nothing wrong with that! I could care less if anyone agrees with my predictions or if they're realistic anymore: I'm just having fun with it at this.

Will another first party happen? I honestly don't know, but I hope so. 3rd parties are rad and I have a bunch I want, but I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart and would love nothing more than as many first party additions as possible, as boring as that may be to people nowadays.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Did Sakurai say outright say these 6 will be the last 6 characters to join Smash? I'm still holding out hope the 15 dummy slots in WOL is true. We would just need 4 more characters to fill it up completely. In which case, I can see an Echo Pass closing out the game. Mrs. PAC-MAN, Octoling, and some others.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Did Sakurai say outright say these 6 will be the last 6 characters to join Smash? I'm still holding out hope the 15 dummy slots in WOL is true. We would just need 4 more characters to fill it up completely. In which case, I can see an Echo Pass closing out the game. Mrs. PAC-MAN, Octoling, and some others.
Ms. Pac-Man is in legal limbo so she is unlikely to be added.

D

Deleted member

Again, this is not a public domain issue. This is a respect issue.

I don’t know much about Ryuto Kawashima so I can’t make an argument for or against him as an assist trophy and whether it’s appropriate or not. Red Badge of Courage is still fiction, and I offered an olive branch of Dynasty Warriors having spirits and that was obliviously ignored.
My argument is that Lu Bu or other characters who are in Dynasty Warriors (which is very strictly interpreting the original material, and not reinventing it save for gameplay) should not be fighters in Smash Brothers.
It would be disrespectful to the source material and people involved to put them on the level of Mario.
Warriors All Stars had a couple of real life people like Lu Bu and William get called upon by a group of furries to save the world alongside actual anime girls, Ryu Hayabusa, and cat Nobunaga. I don't believe for a moment Nintendo wouldn't want a Dynasty Warriors character to respect the source material when Koei-Tecmo can do whatever the hell they want with them.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
We'd be at 12 characters after season 2 so there would be 4 spots left. Honestly I kinda doubt they'd fill up all the spots.

I'm honestly wondering if they'll sell new stages separately like with Smash 4. Seeing the amount of time it takes between fighters plus were no doubt getting a second page in the stage select screen for new stages I highly doubt they would leave said page blank so I'm thinking they'll sell a few extra stages.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I did this for fun. What do you guys think? Not my best, but it was still fun squeezing the 6 I think would be cool additions.

View attachment 258405
I almost didn't figure what was different until I saw Ryu Hayabusa there.

Add Sgt. Cortez to the list because the 11th slot is all for him!

Time to Split!

Cortez-come-back.gif

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He's got a horse right? There's your gimmick. Though considering he uses a sword it'd be hard to allow him to hit anyone whilst upon it. Hmm...

Warriors All Stars had a couple of real life people like Lu Bu and William get called upon by a group of furries to save the world alongside actual anime girls, Ryu Hayabusa, and cat Nobunaga. I don't believe for a moment Nintendo wouldn't want a Dynasty Warriors character to respect the source material when Koei-Tecmo can do whatever the hell they want with them.
Um...Like, beast men or...people into them?

Reminds me of a "badly explaining anime plots" challenge. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom