• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Well you see in the games universe Three houses takes place in a different universe than the other games, so it still applies under "new game worlds"
While technically right, this is a weak argument. With Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, Legend of Starfy, Sin and Punishment, Pandora's Tower, Custom Robo, Baten Kaitos, Chibi-Robo, and Dillon's Rolling Western as options, it's an absolute shame that Sakurai didn't give one of these reps a chance. When he put Fire Emblem characters in Melee, sure, they were well-known in Japan, but the game was always going to be sold internationally, and introducing them to a whole new market was a gamble. It paid off though, and now FE is one of Nintendo's heavy hitters.

With how well Ultimate is selling, why not throw in a character like Isaac and introduce a generation to his franchise? Heck, who knows...that could be the thing needed to revitalize it!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Doom 2016 sales: 2 million on PC, consoles not reported, circa 2017.
Final Fantasy XV sales: 8.9 million, not counting Pocket Edition, circa last year.

You mention live-action RPGs. They're action RPGs, except Diablo which is a dungeon crawler.

Your vision of Europe is completely reductionist and ignores the huge console market that's also there. The games that are popular in the US are also popular there, they aren't all PC freaks playing just Civ and 4Xs. And needless to say, they have their own breakouts (Bayonetta, for example).

When you talk about Nintendo, you're basically talking about Switch as pre-Wii U their consoles weren't port machines. Also lmao at Sonic games dominating in this day and age. And Square Enix releases just their B-catalogue on Nintendo (thankfully their B catalogue is in many aspects better than their AAA games).

You don't know about games. You're a parody. A caricature. You seem like a guy ripped straight from an Xbox Live Arcade commercial. You don't care about history, you don't care about influence, you don't care about anything other than what was blatantly popular and in your face in a bygone era and can't accept that things were different before then, things are different now, and things will be different tomorrow.
Actually, I have always been more of a Nintendo fan. I have an original NES, N64 (thanks to wife), Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch. I also have a copy of every Smash besides the 3DS one.

My only non-Nintendo consoles are PS3 and Xbox One. In HS, I was more of a PC person. I loved games like Civilization, Age of Empires, Diablo, Warcraft I & II, Starcraft, Sim City series, etc.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know it sounds strange, and it's totally nothing more than a guess based on the limited vantage I have as a fan, but it seems to me, like the DLC budget was not quite the "bottomless pit" people treat it as, where any character would be on the table.

I only say this because, reading volbound's post, I do agree that the characters we got aren't the "top of the charts" (unlike him, I don't have a problem with that), and it strikes me that of the five, characters such as :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: and :ult_terry: probably weren't nearly as costly to license as most of the past third-parties. Even if Ryu Hayabusa was intended for this pack, I'd group him with those three, rather than :ulthero:, who, based on series stature and company, I would guess, was an exception, and more in line with past inclusions, price-wise. And obviously Byleth is first-party.

Of course some of the budget was also relegated to the trailers, which the DLC last time didn't really have to the same production level, but on the whole, it really wouldn't surprise me if some of what dictated these choices over others was the price tag.

It'll be interesting, going forward, if the trend of primarily b and c-tier third-party IP continues over the remaining a-tiers.
Probably doesn't help that Dragon quest was originally meant for base game.

D

Deleted member

You know, I find myself coming to this site out of habit. Open a new window, type "smash" into the search bar and let Firefox carry me here for another hit.

Smash speculation really is like a bad drug. I come here expecting to find a high only to find another inane argument by people who can't use Google to research basic points.

It just gets disappointing after a while.
I'm only here for Baboom. I don't know what you're hoping for.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Sales doesn't equal quality, otherwise Captain Price from Call of Duty deserves a spot in Smash more any other franchise. Hell Smash help made lesser known Nintendo franchises more popular like the newcomer from today's reveal. Did you not at all listen to Sakurai when he said fun was the most important factor in Smash characters? I am sorry that mismanage joke of a Hedgehog doesn't get enough love despite having two stages in Smash, multiple asset trophies, Mii costumes, and plenty of music tracks.
And in the end, isn't helping lesser known franchises (or some cases outright saving them) and having a fun character all that matters

So given Season Pass 2 is gonna be going on for two full years how do you guys think the releases will go?

All I know for certain is the next fighter will be at E3 and also one at next years E3 as well. Among the six could be at one of the two following VGA but given last years I'm kind of skeptical. Any ideas?
Probably similar to how Smash usually does reveals. Have the most eye catching characters first, put the really hype characters (that may or may not be fan requests) in the middle, and have the less hype reveals (in comparison) at the end.

Sorry. I just now got off work.
But Lesley flipped out and friend dumped me after I told her to prepare for Dante.
She all but called me a sexist, unfollowed me here and blocked me on Twitter.
But on Switch, she's been playing Three Houses, so I would assume that she's happy with Byleth.
That sounds pretty extreme

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even if these characters would have been cheaper, I doubt they were picked because they were cheap. It'd be sad if, say, Banjo and Kazooie were picked because they were cheap and not because they've been requested for ages.
Well there are a lot of characters that are probably around this level of licensing fee. It's not like it was just these 3/4. As you get further from the top, the pool widens. So presumably the choices were still quite plentiful at this level, it was more just a case of foregoing the top tier of character, such as the ones we got before. For the most part.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I find it extremely odd that we have EIGHT Fire Emblem characters before Waluigi, Toad, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, Impa, Skull Kid, and Midna.
I already posted my Nintendo picks, but here they are again:
View attachment 258249
Dayum son this pass right here looking like a snacc

Where do I buy this

Actually, I have always been more of a Nintendo fan. I have an original NES, N64 (thanks to wife), Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch. I also have a copy of every Smash besides the 3DS one.

My only non-Nintendo consoles are PS3 and Xbox One. In HS, I was more of a PC person. I loved games like Civilization, Age of Empires, Diablo, Warcraft I & II, Starcraft, Sim City series, etc.
Funny, every series that you mention liking you also mentioned as popular series. Seems kinda myopic.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Sorry. I just now got off work.
But Lesley flipped out and friend dumped me after I told her to prepare for Dante.
She all but called me a sexist, unfollowed me here and blocked me on Twitter.
But on Switch, she's been playing Three Houses, so I would assume that she's happy with Byleth.
Yikes, I can't believe I used to admire her

I always thought her cries of sexism was overblown, but this just makes feminism get a bad name

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
But I'd never want a character just to spite someone.
Lesley is very clearly troubled. And I don't burn bridges, so she's welcome to be my friend again when she apologizes.
I usually don’t want characters for that reason either.

Until I saw Lesleys posts.

Until I saw how she would trash any character simply because they happen to be a certain gender. And how she would go to threads and call Hayabusa and Slayer supporters “sexist” whenever they were rumored. All because they want to see their character in. None of them held those labels she tried to so desperately slap on them, they just wanted to see their favorite character from their favorite series in, what an absolute crime.

And she also had the gall to gloat about the Byleth backlash, if Dante got revealed today, she’d be singing a completely different tune.

Funny, isn’t it? As someone who was completely neutral, her behavior ironically turned me against her cause completely, and actively led me to root against her. And this is coming from someone who supports Reimu, 2B, Jill, ect.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yikes, I can't believe I used to admire her

I always thought her cries of sexism was overblown, but this just makes feminism get a bad name
It's a shame that I've been seeing feminists with this attitude a lot of than the reasonable ones nowadays. They have issues that probably can't be worked out.

Well, It is Lesley.

Is this just based on the timing of when the leaks started, or is there something more substantial to back this up?
I don't have the link and I'm too lazy too look this up, but it was mentioned in an interview a few months back, that it was meant for base game and that each alt was gonna be a different protagonist but they moved it too DLC due to some difficulties getting the rights.

This is obviously backed up by leaks from the time of the games released that were claiming that Dragon quest was already in. Odds are Luminary was probably ready to go by launch.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
NGL I fell for the bait.

Oh well. Pretty dang sure DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon is right about that user and they're trolling at this point. :p
It's easy to fall for it sometimes.

You think you're better than that but it shows up in front of you and it's so tempting.

"Let me put them in their place," "I'll get a bunch of likes," "They're insulting my favorite series/favorite character," and so on.

It's so easy to get lost. Sometimes you just gotta look at what you have typed and think "I'm better than this" and just move on with your day.

and then you hit the post button and watch the alerts come in

D

Deleted member

Anyway, fun fact about Byleth. If you hate them because they're from Fire Emblem, wait till you see what actual FE fans have to say about them
View attachment 258250
Byleth is like the worst character in Three Houses so I'm glad they gave him things from the actually good protagonists: The house leaders. They really saved him with the moveset imo

volbound1700

Smash Master
Dayum son this pass right here looking like a snacc

Where do I buy this

Funny, every series that you mention liking you also mentioned as popular series. Seems kinda myopic.
I listed the Tales series and Unchartered. I have never owned a game in those series or played them. I am not a big Call of Duty person but I admit its dominance in the market. Never played Minecraft but I admit that it is a powerhouse and Steve probably does deserve a spot (or perhaps a Minecraft level).

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's easy to fall for it sometimes.

You think you're better than that but it shows up in front of you and it's so tempting.

"Let me put them in their place," "I'll get a bunch of likes," "They're insulting my favorite series/favorite character," and so on.

It's so easy to get lost. Sometimes you just gotta look at what you have typed and think "I'm better than this" and just move on with your day.

and then you hit the post button and watch the alerts come in
Yep, that pretty much is me in these scenarios, ha ha. :laugh:

I really need to think more before I post sometimes.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I listed the Tales series and Unchartered. I have never owned a game in those series or played them. I am not a big Call of Duty person but I admit its dominance in the market. Never played Minecraft but I admit that it is a powerhouse and Steve probably does deserve a spot (or perhaps a Minecraft level).
I mean the fact that you can't spell Uncharted correctly doesn't help your case at all.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Anyway, fun fact about Byleth. If you hate them because they're from Fire Emblem, wait till you see what actual FE fans have to say about them
View attachment 258250
I've mostly seen positivity from Fire Emblem fans, if only a bit of disappointment that it wasn't a house leader instead.

That aside, who actually gives their Byleth the house leader relic? Sakurai, you're playing the game wrong.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Again, I hate to be the guy to say this, but let's chill a little bit. This is getting close to becoming just straight up insults, and I don't think mods would take too kindly to that.
Surprisingly, this isn't even half as bad as other places reactions. One of the discords I'm in had to have the smash section locked at least 3 times today due to personal attacks and fighting

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I don't know if anyone mentioned yet, but the creator brawl taunts would have gotten his voice in Smash with the reveal of Byleth

If... well, you know...

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
It's a shame that I've been seeing feminists with this attitude a lot of than the reasonable ones nowadays. They have issues that probably can't be worked out.
I’d actually join behind her rally had she not been so radical. I actually liked her arguments until they became **** throwing and hate speech. These are the reasons I will never support that unfortunately because too many are like that.

They seek to make change but sometimes to make change you have to be kind and compassionate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't have the link and I'm too lazy too look this up, but it was mentioned in an interview a few months back, that it was meant for base game and that each alt was gonna be a different protagonist but they moved it too DLC due to some difficulties getting the rights.

This is obviously backed up by leaks from the time of the games released that were claiming that Dragon quest was already in. Odds are Luminary was probably ready to go by launch.

Well, does anyone have this link? This really flies in the face of the statement where originally we were only going to get Luminary and Erdrick, but then they added the other two.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know if anyone mentioned yet, but the creator brawl taunts would have gotten his voice in Smash with the reveal of Byleth

If... well, you know...
If only he weren't
  • (a) an asshole
  • (b) an asshole who broke NDA, and
  • (c) an asshole
its so sad
403-4033075_its-real-sad-yeehaw-hours-sad-cowboy-emoji.png

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well since I see random topics about feminism and etc, I don't feel so bad about posting this now. What are some games that you guys would like remastered?

For me, I have two that standout: TMNT II the Arcade Game (NES version, not Arcade version. NES had more content) and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

I would love to see Oblivion and even Morrowind made with modern graphics similar to how Skyrim was remastered.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I've mostly seen positivity from Fire Emblem fans, if only a bit of disappointment that it wasn't a house leader instead.

That aside, who actually gives their Byleth the house leader relic? Sakurai, you're playing the game wrong.
Honestly the biggest issue I have with Byleth in terms of the content shown is I would have prefered a Rhea skin over a Sothis one. And they probably should have darkened his skin a bit for the yellow alt. It looks, off, as is. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Oh I like their addition, it's just that Byleth as a character does not ****ing exist.

Solo Wyvernleth run baybeeeeee

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Dream fighter pass?

Steve (Minecraft)
Brian (Quest 64)
Impa(Zelda, Oracles version). I want Tingle more, but I feel this is easier to work with.
Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
Funny i always though there would be more nightmare there.

Mine
-Alucard (castlevania)
-Morrigan (darkstalkers)
-Edelgard (i was debating to putting her.. but since is a dream fighter pass? whatevers)
-Kass (BotW)
-Chosen Undead (Darksouls)
-Escha (Atelier Series)

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I usually don’t want characters for that reason either.

Until I saw Lesleys posts.

Until I saw how she would trash any character simply because they happen to be a certain gender. And how she would go to threads and call Hayabusa and Slayer supporters “sexist” whenever they were rumored. All because they want to see their character in. None of them held those labels she tried to so desperately slap on them, they just wanted to see their favorite character from their favorite series in, what an absolute crime.

And she also had the gall to gloat about the Byleth backlash, if Dante got revealed today, she’d be singing a completely different tune.

Funny, isn’t it? As someone who was completely neutral, her behavior ironically turned me against her cause completely, and actively led me to root against her. And this is coming from someone who supports Reimu, 2B, Jill, ect.
Ironically she didnt count Kazooie because she shares the spotlight with Banjo yet its apparently just fine for female Byleth to share the spotlight with the male (and default) Byleth.

But I'm glad she's happy. All those women in the middle east can rest easy tonight because today feminism won.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Well since I see random topics about feminism and etc, I don't feel so bad about posting this now. What are some games that you guys would like remastered?

For me, I have two that standout: TMNT II the Arcade Game (NES version, not Arcade version. NES had more content) and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

I would love to see Oblivion and even Morrowind made with modern graphics similar to how Skyrim was remastered.
I'd prefer it if Bethesda didnt remake and ruin one of their only decent games tbh.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ironically she didnt count Kazooie because she shares the spotlight with Banjo yet its apparently just fine for female Byleth to share the spotlight with the male (and default) Byleth.

But I'm glad she's happy. All those women in the middle east can rest easy tonight because today feminism won.
I'm not gonna lie this comment gave me a good laugh.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
So, something I realized was that the Smash Discord server I was part of was a lot more prepared for Byleth than the common person might have been.

You know how leaks tend to spill out closest to the reveal? Well, my server got a tip off (which came from another server) that FP#5 would be the kind of pick that'd be worth avoiding social media for a whole day for. It came with a prayer that people would look past the character and appreciate the mechanics - and the resigned expection that they would not. So we lowered our expectations, tossing around Steve or Rabbids, but meanwhile, the rest of the internet was still believing in Dante.

That's a hell of a difference in expectations, and I don't know how I would've reacted if I came into the Direct expecting Layton or someone else I was really passionate about, as much as I like Three Houses. Guess plenty of other people do, though.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
There is a difference between remake and remaster. Remaster is just upgraded graphics but no real change to game play. I choose my words carefully :).
If they took away any of Oblivion's unintentional comedy so help me god..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom