• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
So yay Byleth is in. Anyways, time to make great use of my limited time thinking about the future of Smash DLC.
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Cinderance/Inteleon
  • Frisk (or whoever the Undertale Protag is)
  • Sony rep
VS.
  • Dante
  • Arle Nadja
  • Doomguy
  • Cinderance/Inteleon
  • Sora

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I still don't care about the hate. It was expected. :p

Byleth is rad to me. To each their own.:drshrug:

What's incredible to me though is people are this angry when there's still hecking 6 characters left, lol.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker: - 9/10 - Joker was a true pipe dream prior to TGA. He felt so far from possibility that I didn't bother hoping for him. Then he happened anyway. Music is amazing, and the stage is honestly pretty cool.
:ulthero: - 6/10 - I have no attachment to the series, and while I like the multiple Hero costumes, the moveset doesn't click with me. The music is mediocre but the stage is pretty. I appreciate the legacy though. Great addition.
:ultbanjokazooie: - 10/10 - Never thought they'd really happen, not with bigger names in the running. But the duo is here, and the music is best of the FP, bar none. Just seeing them makes me glad for all the fans who held out for the series to get literally anything after 10 years. But it happened, and I love it.
:ult_terry: - 7/10 - Sakurai's love of this series is great to see. I dig the music and the stage is fantastic. Can't say I enjoy Terry's moveset, but he's nonetheless fun to play.
Byleth - 10/10 - I definitely wanted Byleth in Smash. I am staggered that it happened so soon. Of course everything is great. Though a few songs were omitted that really should have been there, I can hardly complain.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
This is not new, guys! Inkings and Leaf got different idle animations from their counterparts.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Well, time to just say a real unpopular opinion: salt jokes have been abused to such point that they don't demonstrate anything other than the little originality one can have to gather attention on the internet.
Thank god someone else thinks so. That **** got old during Smash 4's time. Bonus points if they mention fries or popcorn too. Salty is an insult that has lost all meaning.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Oh... Byleth...
Well, that kind of feels like a missed note on a great DLC season. I'm gonna honestly say this shouldn't have been the final challenger pack, it's such a dull and blunt end.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
TBH I still don't care about the hate. It was expected. :p

Byleth is rad to me. To each their own.:drshrug:

What's incredible to me though is people are this angry when there's still hecking 6 characters left, lol.
Yeah, but mean ole Sakurai is making them wait.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
just realized,

Byleth's our first ever character whose console of origin is the Switch

they also join the ranks of Dark Pit, Greninja, Lucina, Robin, and Corrin with getting in the Smash game of their debut console
don't quite count Alph, cuz Smash 3DS technically released before Smash Wii U

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

they also join the ranks of Dark Pit, Greninja, Lucina, Robin, and Corrin of getting in the Smash game of their debut console
Nice, 2 more FE characters to go.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
just realized,

they also join the ranks of Dark Pit, Greninja, Lucina, Robin, and Corrin of getting in the Smash game of their debut console
don't quite count Alph, cuz Smash 3DS technically released before Smash Wii U
What hallowed, indispensable company.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
imagine sending this to someone pre-direct and asking them to guess challenger 5

1579209288602.png

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Technically, the color theory still checks out if you say it was only applied for the fighter’s pass characters

and on that matter, I never really relied on the color theory. I just thought it was interesting, and it is perfectly reasonable since piranha plant was a stand-alone dlc

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I'm certain that Ryu Hayabusa and Rayman are likely to be on the Volume 2 pass since Team Ninja has made a few games with the Nintendo franchises(Zelda, Fire Emblem),and the ubisoft mii costumes didn't have Rayman at all so I can see them likely for Volume 2.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Even if the latter leaked the presentation's mii costumes while it was running?
Verge actually leaked the Mii costumes just a bit before their reveal iirc.

I would say if you don't want to pay attention to leakers just let them be.
Everyone was watching the direct at that point so it just seems redundant.

So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker: 5/10 - He's an okay character but I've never played a Persona game so I didn't really care much for him. Stage doesn't have much substance but at least the music is pretty catchy.
:ulthero: 7/10 - Same with Hero but his spells made him more fun to play as. His stage is also pretty nice but music is garbage
:ultbanjokazooie: 10/10 - Best characters in the game and I couldn't be happier with what Sakurai did with them! Great stage and music!
:ult_terry: 4/10 - I was happy to see him being revealed but I just got really bored of him quickly
:ultbyleth: 3/10 - Meh... just meh. I like the stage though.

Overall 5/10 - Not the best Fighters Pass in the world but I certainly can't be mad after getting Banjo & Kazooie. Besides it could have been way worse.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So guys, how was your day? Anything interesting happen? :)

...Naw but really though, did NOT expect Byleth but I'm in the crowd that's happy to have her. If you had asked me before Three Houses I'd have told you Smash probably doesn't need more FE, but Three Houses is just that good. Of course people are free to not be thrilled, but y'know. I'm excited to try them out.

I just... Ugh. I've been in a weird spot this past week and was genuinely looking forward to a character reveal that would- at least MOSTLY- generate some hype and positivity around the community.

This is literally the worst possible choice for positivity, haha. Nothing but negativity outside of some outliers, and it is absolutely killing any excitement I had.

Really wish Byleth was out today so that people could at least enjoy the new content and be on with it, but naw, 12 days. Was really hoping for a nice distraction, too.

Ah well. Again, people have more than enough of a right to not be pleased with Byleth, just... Please don't remember this is a colorful cartoony game that is already on the verge of 80 characters we all can be happy with, with 6 more on the way. Have a goodun.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hold on

wasn't there a "pass maintenance" on the 20th? what if you can officially buy Pass 2 after that date?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
> Inklings and Leaf have different idles, too.

My boi Alph was done dirty.
Frankly olimar should have gotten the same treatment as Luminary, Inkling and the Koopalings.

Olimar, Alph, Louie, Britney, President and Charlie, bam there are your alts.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ah well. Again, people have more than enough of a right to not be pleased with Byleth, just... Please don't remember this is a colorful cartoony game that is already on the verge of 80 character we all can be happy with, with 6 more on the way. Have a goodun.
I mean, including echoes and Byleth, we're at 82 characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:ultjoker: 5/10 - I think his inclusion is just fine, I can see why he was put into the game, and he set the tone for the Pass extremely well. However, I don't find him very fun to play as, his overall kit and gimmick just don't really jive with me.

:ulthero: 6/10 - Makes complete sense as an inclusion, everything taken into consideration he's probably the biggest character on the Pass (or at least brings the biggest franchise into the game). In terms of gameplay he's kinda stupid, but that's also what makes him pretty fun. I'd never be able to seriously try and become good with him, but he's one of many characters that I sometimes play in casual matches when I just want to **** around.

:ultbanjokazooie: 8/10 - I don't have the same attachment to these two as so many others do, but it was a beautiful day when they made it in, just because it made so many people happy not only that they were in Smash, but that they were brought back in general. They're decent fun to play as, but again, I wouldn't be able to sit down and get serious with them, I mostly appreciate them because their inclusion just feels so right.

:ult_terry: 9/10 - Terry was a very big surprise to me, not just that he made it in, but even more so in just how much I've grown to like him. I knew nothing about him prior to his inclusion, but I've played him a ton since he got in, everything from his moveset to his personality to his design just makes him a really fun character through and through. I've even gone on to play a fair few Fatal Fury and KoF games since, and I'm becoming a fan on that front as well. It's a long time since a newcomer that was practically unknown to me prior to their Smash inclusion sparked that in me, I probably have to go all the way back to Brawl to find the last time that happened for me. At the moment he's probably my favorite character that's not among my main or secondaries, he's the definition of a baller.

Byleth: 4/10 - I can't deny there's some bitterness from me here as I would have far preferred Edelgard, but at the same time Byleth himself just isn't all that interesting to me, neither in Three Houses or Smash. His moveset at least looks fairly easy to just pick up and play, but it doesn't really offer anything that I'm looking for either. He gets a few points just on the basis that I really enjoyed Three Houses, but he still comes off as the weakest of the bunch imo.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
I have really hard time believing this since Erdrick was leaked for like 6 months before his reveal. He was Ken levels of bad secret keeping

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Joker 0/10: Persona is a fantasy game where the fantasy is "having a social life in high school". Added solely based on Sakurai's bias and kicking off the fighters pass with an ad for a PS4 exclusive wasn't a good start imo. Also hurts how he's yet another character with the "you're rewarded for getting outplayed" gimmick.

Hero 5/10: I get that Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan and whatnot, but I'm not Japanese and Square has struggled for the longest time to get Dragon Quest as popular overseas as it is in Japan. Doesn't help how his codename was datamined and discussions were absolutely dominated by him for months because Nintendo are still cavemen when it comes to the internet. I can respect Dragon Quest for being the godfather of jrpgs but that's really all I can do. Also another super gimmicky character.

Banjo & Kazooie 10/10: The absolute best character in the pass for me. Both the BK games were pretty big parts of my childhood and I never would have imagined they'd ever actually make it into Smash. They have a straightforward playstyle that isn't defined or revolves around an annoying gimmick.

Terry 5/10: I get that Terry is an iconic fighting game character but I have no attachment to King of Fighters. To me he pretty much just seems like Ryu with a "get rewarded for getting outplayed gimmick" and broken english.

Byleth 0/10: Yawn. Didn't even watch his presentation.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Am I the only one more excited for the Mii Costumes than Byleth? (I mean, Cuphead music in Smash is just a big yes from me)

Also, for once, I will be kinda angry at people who complain about another "anime swordsman". By the looks of it, Byleth actually has a moveset that differs themselves from other Fire Emblem characters.

And final note: It says Super Smash Brothers Ultimate X Altair, not Super Smash Brothers X Assassin's Creed. Just saying.

And finally:
:ultjoker: 10/10 - Awesome music, awesome stage, awesome character, and an awesome victory screen. Plus, it got me to play one of my favorite games of all time, Persona f**kin 5.
:ulthero: 5/10 - This character is okay, the stage is good, the music is meh, but I HATE playing against Hero. Lag or no lag, most people who main Hero online know the right moves and I'll end up getting 3 stocked because of a midair Snooze.
:ultbanjokazooie: 7.5/10 - Fun character, sucky stage, good music and some weird mechanics that I actually like. That's all.
:ult_terry: 9/10 - Love this character, came with some good Mii costumes, and loads of good music. I actually decided to use him as a secondary!
Byleth - why are people rating them already they're not even out yet wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom