• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For X, Elma’s playable appearance could be her
true form that bears an uncanny resemblance to KOS-MOS. They gonna have to Good Boys And Girls the **** out of her design tho
It's a toss up as far as if they'd use it. On the one hand, it's a pretty major spoiler, but on the other, they seem to have no qualms about having Xenoblade Chronicles spoilers.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm kind of a hypocrite I didn't want anymore fire emblem characters but getting byleth isn't that bad since I actually like there design just wish it was shown earlier instead of saved for last it kinda feels like a punch to the gut
I suppose so, though its the opposite for me.
I got one of my favorite series added with Character 1 and then I got one of my most wanted characters (2nd only to Sora from Kingdom Hearts) as the last character of the pass. Meanwhile the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th characters were all characters I liked from series I enjoyed, but none were on my wishlists at all.
So overall, I began and ended overjoyed and surprised..and neither one got leaked nor hinted at unlike the middle three as an extra bonus!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
So guys what are your Hope's for the six character's coming what do you guys want them to be slash hope they'll be here are mine View attachment 258052View attachment 258053View attachment 258054View attachment 258055View attachment 258056
Honorable mention to Sora Dante and someone from the Shin Megami Tensei series
1. Dante
2. Master Chief
3. Travis Touchdown
4. Sora
5. Hayabusa
6. A first party franchise (which unfortunately won't be Astral Chain, thank you Spirits...)

I also want to mention Kratos, but who knows at this point.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I will say though, Byleth was at one point the final character for Ultimate. If you ever needed proof that Sakurai doesn't care about ending on a high note...
I was seeing a rumor that this spot was going to be for Jill before negotiations failed. Not sure why that would have happened since Capcom is clearly easy to work with.

But yeah, overall it seems like he's in favor of frontloading announcements. Bodes well for the next character pick or 2 for sure

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I do kinda dislike that it took this long for us to get a character with the full weapon change/weapon triangle thing. Lack of mechanical representation is what bothers me among the FE cast (along with the non-specific stages), considering it has a lot of good and perfectly usable combat mechanics.

When the trailer began I was legitimately so pessimistic, like "yeah, the whipsword will be relegated to Smash attacks and Divine Pulse will be turned into a down B counter". :joyful:
Yeah, my gripe with the FE cast has always been an over-reliance on lords and the Marth moveset. In an ideal world, I'd probably ditch Lucina and Roy for, say, Hector and Micaiah, or Celica. Even though Corrin is a unique swordie, I'd probably replace them with Azura as well.

And the lack of other stages is a huge letdown, as you said. Opossum Opossum and I have talked that topic to death on these boards.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Honestly, this direct just reminded me that I really ****ing hate Corrin.

Not for being one of the last two characters in Smash 4, not for being Fire Emblem's sixth character, but because they irreparably destroyed Fire Emblem's reputation in several circles of the Smash fandom. The reactions to Byleth really seal the deal to me that Corrin was a mistake. I wouldn't remove them from Ultimate, but I do resent them for being the big reason why Fire Emblem hatred is so out of control. At least Chrom was an echo so he was easy to make. And Roy was a veteran a lot of people wanted to see return.

Fates is the gift that keeps on giving. Terrible plot in every route, with Conquest and Revelations having laugh-out-loud dismal stories, Revelations is the first genuinely bad FE game and the only one I wouldn't recommend with anything, and a character that not only ruins their home game, but also the reputation of their entire series. Twice. On top of that crazy cash wall to get the full experience (two 30's, and a 20, alongside a lot of DLC that can be quite overpriced, and some of it is Japan exclusive to boot). And curses every Smash character after them from FE to be hated. It's not like it causes cancer or anything, but I do think it's the worst game in the series by far. There's positives: Birthright is easy to get into for fans of Awakening, Conquest has stellar gameplay for longtime fans, especially on Lunatic, you might find somebody you like in the cast, and the voice acting is really good. Not to mention the soundtrack is fantastic, even if the Lost in Thoughts motif can get a bit annoying. It isn't Sonic Jam on Game.com levels of pure awfulness. And it's not technically broken like Sonic 06. But it's a game I'm personally not a fan of in the grand scheme of things.

On a more positive note, giving it some thought, Byleth actually does seem kinda cool. But I'll wait until we see more. Three Houses is awesome and, while I think now was a bad time for it, absolutely should have a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm excited to see a great game get characters!

But where the hell is Bernadetta in the Spirit Board?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Tin foil hat theory time.

I hope Sakurai using BotW as an example and specifically mentioning BotW Zelda's inability to fight again leads to something interesting in FP2.

If Zelda's somehow playable in BotW 2 (which I'm really hoping she is) maybe we'll finally get a new LoZ character.
You are aware that Zelda's already playable in Smash, right?

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Rex and Pyra are gone forever but there's the chance we can get Fiora from Xenoblade DE
That reminds me of a funny story. When they had the direct to reveal Corrin, I wasn't home that day. I was at the bank having to take out some cash. After I was done, I got on my phone and tried to see the direct, but the quality was automatically put on 240p and they were in the middle of showing off Corrin. However, because of the quality, I thought it was Fiora and I was freaking out. I kept saying how great a pick it was. Then after they showed Corrin and while I wasn't as excited as I was when I thought it was Fiora, I was still okay with it.

D

Deleted member

I really ****ing hope Byleth's easy to learn because I know most of my friends will beat me up in a parking lot for picking Byleth when we play in 2 weeks lmao
Byleth's looks easy to pick up and play, but at the cost of having a lot of predictable specials. The wind up on the bow and axe move are easy to see coming. His neutral game is what's going to save him here. Dude has range

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sharing this here from the Social Thread:

So, thoughts on the DLC so far:

:ultpiranha: 9/10 I've wanted a playable Mario mook since I was a kid. This was a top tier taste add on Sakurai's part.

:ultjoker:: 10/10 One of my biggest pipe dream picks and still the most memorable reveal ever for me. Honestly don't know if anything Smash related will ever top how excited I got for Joker, lol.

:ulthero: 10/10 once again! I adore the history this franchise has with Nintendo and honestly? It should've been here sooner. Moveset is mad fun and I love Toriyama designed characters.

:ultbanjokazooie:: 8/10 I still need to play the games, but I love 3D platformers so they're cool. I'm sad it wasn't Steve, though. :(

:ult_terry: 2/10 Just a boring pick for me personally. Not an FGC guy and while he's fun to play around with, I'm just not digging the character or the playstyle that much. Cool for those that like him, though.

:ultbyleth: 10/10 YES!!! A FIRST PARTY! As someone who has third party wants, I have just as many (if not more) first party wants, and all the constant talk about how wanting them was pointless and that they weren't "hype" was getting me down. But not only was Byleth in my top 5, they were what restored hope for us Nintendo character fans! I'm super stoked to play as them, and honestly? They might even give Inkling a run for their money if I like them enough. ;)
Just my personal thoughts on DLC so far. Can't wait for the 28th!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey! Who here is going for the claude alt?
It is certainly one of the best ones. I don't though. That Demitri one looks pretty sharp too...As does the Edelgard one. I nearly always pick the boy one given the choice but darn if those colors don't pop.

You are aware that Zelda's already playable in Smash, right?
Imagine having seven characters in the game, but but three of them are Link and three of them are Zelda. lol

D

Deleted member

Byleth's looks easy to pick up and play, but at the cost of having a lot of predictable specials. The wind up on the bow and axe move are easy to see coming. His neutral game is what's going to save him here.
All of Byleth's attacks are probably going to be fairly punishable if you're not careful. That's the downfall of a character who seems to have attacks that cover almost every angle of a battlefield.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Byleth's looks easy to pick up and play, but at the cost of having a lot of predictable specials. The wind up on the bow and axe move are easy to see coming. His neutral game is what's going to save him here.
You don't understand, the guy who had that bike incident I'm infamous for ****ing left the group chat when he saw that to lose steam.

Not for being one of the last two characters in Smash 4, not for being Fire Emblem's sixth character, but because they irreparably destroyed Fire Emblem's reputation in several circles of the Smash fandom. The reactions to Byleth really seal the deal to me that Corrin was a mistake. I wouldn't remove them from Ultimate, but I do resent them for being the big reason why Fire Emblem hatred is so out of control. At least Chrom was an echo so he was easy to make. And Roy was a veteran a lot of people wanted to see return.

Fates is the gift that keeps on giving. Terrible plot in every route, with Conquest and Revelations having laugh-out-loud dismal stories, Revelations is the first genuinely bad FE game and the only one I wouldn't recommend with anything, and a character that not only ruins their home game, but also the reputation of their entire series. Twice. On top of that crazy cash wall to get the full experience (two 30's, and a 20, alongside a lot of DLC that can be quite overpriced, and some of it is Japan exclusive to boot). And curses every Smash character after them from FE to be hated. It's not like it causes cancer or anything, but I do think it's the worst game in the series by far. There's positives: Birthright is easy to get into for fans of Awakening, Conquest has stellar gameplay for longtime fans, especially on Lunatic, you might find somebody you like in the cast, and the voice acting is really good. Not to mention the soundtrack is fantastic, even if the Lost in Thoughts motif can get a bit annoying. It isn't Sonic Jam on Game.com levels of pure awfulness. And it's not technically broken like Sonic 06. But it's a game I'm personally not a fan of in the grand scheme of things.

On a more positive note, giving it some thought, Byleth actually does seem kinda cool. But I'll wait until we see more. Three Houses is awesome and, while I think now was a bad time for it, absolutely should have a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm excited to see a great game get characters!

Bernie's in her room screaming as she wants nothing to do with Smash after seeing all these rushdown characters and how ****ty bow attacks tend to be

Ivander

Smash Legend
So guys what are your Hope's for the six character's coming what do you guys want them to be slash hope they'll be here are mine
Honorable mention to Sora Dante and someone from the Shin Megami Tensei series
Hopes include:
Monster Hunter
Saber
Ryu Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell
Adol Cristin
Master Chief
Chosen Undead
Professor Layton
Neku Sakuraba
KOS-MOS

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, my gripe with the FE cast has always been an over-reliance on lords and the Marth moveset. In an ideal world, I'd probably ditch Lucina and Roy for, say, Hector and Micaiah, or Celica. Even though Corrin is a unique swordie, I'd probably replace them with Azura as well.

And the lack of other stages is a huge letdown, as you said. Opossum Opossum and I have talked that topic to death on these boards.
Pretty much. Stuff like Promotions/Class change, Critical Hits, Support/Adjutants and reversing turns (Turnwheel/Divine Pulse) would be really interesting. Sakurai said the counter is to "reflect the turn-based nature of the series", but... did 6/8 characters really need that? Besides, almost every JRPG character in Smash comes from a turn-based game as well.

Corrin was unique compared to the others, but their moveset was all over the place for me and it genuinely felt like they were trying to make them an actual shapeshifting character, but gave up halfway through. Felt like a step back from Robin, a character I actually liked. Plus, they didn't come with a stage.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Genealogy of the Holy War remake? Sign me in!
FE7 & FE6 lol. Although it did look a bit like 776 the way I wrote it lol.

In any case, the only part of markomaro's rumors i'm hoping comes true is AW Mobile. Everything else is okay or meh.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

Not for being one of the last two characters in Smash 4, not for being Fire Emblem's sixth character, but because they irreparably destroyed Fire Emblem's reputation in several circles of the Smash fandom. The reactions to Byleth really seal the deal to me that Corrin was a mistake. I wouldn't remove them from Ultimate, but I do resent them for being the big reason why Fire Emblem hatred is so out of control.
Fire Emblem has it's reputation because Sakurai just won't stop adding characters. The opinion was already there that the FE part of the roster was getting bloated, Corrin just happened to be the tipping point. If it wasn't Corrin then it would have been some other FE character. Blame Sakurai's objective and undeniable bias at this point.

D

Deleted member

You don't understand, the guy who had that bike incident I'm infamous for ****ing left the group chat when he saw that to lose steam.
You better good with Byleth then.

Also send this to him for me

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fire Emblem has it's reputation because Sakurai just won't stop adding characters. The opinion was already there that the FE part of the roster was getting bloated, Corrin just happened to be the tipping point. If it wasn't Corrin then it would have been some other FE character. Blame Sakurai's objective and undeniable bias at this point.
True. It would just be slightly better with the seventh fighter not being a generally hated character.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Yes I'm sure if Sakurai had added a different fire emblem character people would have never noticed the 8 fire emblem characters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The tipping point shifts depending on the size of the roster. The tipping point for "overrepresentation" is going to be different in Melee than it would be in Ultimate. Were Corrin not added, and we had not reached the tipping point last time, it's conceivable that we still wouldn't be at it now, given this roster has like thirty more characters than Smash 4's, and, hypothetically, one less FE character.

D

Deleted member

Nah I made the group chat pic Sakurai giving the finger as seen when he was counting the FE games in binary. In hindsight that's probably what made him leave.
Damn. Must have been a kick in the nuts for him. Heyo.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Because Heaven forbid a popular first party franchise be represented.

Not like Nintendo's two biggest cash cows, Mario and Pokemon have a lot of fighters, even some you could consider unnecessary :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

I don't mean to be so sassy, but I still just genuinely don't understand why people hate Fire Emblem so much when these other two very popular series also have over-representation.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>not as reliable
> confirmed leaker
>presentation starts with sakurai making fun of everyone because basically no one in the company knew

lol
I kinda wonder whether that bit with Sakurai talking about how big of an effort they made to not have the character leak was also recorded 2 months ago, if it was then he must have been incredibly confident in their ability to keep it under wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom