• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folt

Smash Ace
I can't believe this Fighter Pass has made me so fulfilled. 4 out of 5 characters are characters I've been wanting, and the last one won me over when I saw his abilities in Smash (Joker).

It has literally been money well spent.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
Where is this coming from, exactly? Dunno, seems odd that they would swap things around this much - not to mention inefficient.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I am going to spam the ever living f*** out of that neutral special. My baby boy made it in as a color swap. I'll take it.

My biggest gripe is no God Shattering Star (my favorite song in 3 Houses). So, please allow me to mourn by playing the kazoo version of it.

I knew having God in the title was going to screw it over. Sheeeeit.

No Shambhala is inexcusable af though.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Like honestly, I'm... OK w/ Byleth being in

But there's one thing that's seriously annoying me...

Somehow Rex & Pyra, characters that were from a 2017 Nintendo game, were just considered for the pass, but just missed it (for some reason)

Yet Byleth, a character from a 2019 Nintendo game got into this pass...

It kinda sucks since I really want more Xeno representation

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
When you realize that Byleth is actually the Koei Tecmo rep, because most of the work done on Three Houses was done by Koei Tecmo and the fact the game runs on the Dynasty Warriors engine.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I may be a bit salty of their inclusion, BUT EVEN BYLETH DOESN'T DESERVE THIS KIND OF HARASSMENT.
Byleth is a fictional character.

Expressing dislike or disappointment is fine.

Things only become an issue when people get personal and start attacking real, actual people.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean, you could say the "Pac-Man" cloud also looks like a lily pad, which makes sense because Greninja is a frog.

Remember the Rayman cloud in K. Rool's trailer? Look where that went.

Folt

Smash Ace

Somehow Rex & Pyra, characters that were from a 2017 Nintendo game, were just considered for the pass, but just missed it (for some reason)

Probably because Byleth was late enough to be considered for the pass. Rex and Pyra were simply unlucky with their dates.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Things only become an issue when people get personal and start attacking real, actual people.
Have you checked Sakurai's twitter lately?

I'd post the replies here but they say a lot of no-no words.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I knew having God in the title was going to screw it over. Sheeeeit.
They excluded God Slaying Sword as well so you may be onto something.

I mean, you could say the "Pac-Man" cloud also looks like a lily pad, which makes sense because Greninja is a frog.

Remember the Rayman cloud in K. Rool's trailer? Look where that went.
I think this was confirmed to be a hint though. Also I'm not sure that people caught on until after PAC-Man's reveal.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Welp I'll get over it in a couple days for those that wanted Byleth congratulations I'm disappointed but I got what I wanted four times overall can't be too mad

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Honestly? My advice is to get out of Twitter for a while. That place is just a big megaphone that broadcasts whoever screams the loudest. Makes you think things are worse than they actually are.

It's pretty much what I did and so far I've seen more people being civil than not.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I can't believe this Fighter Pass has made me so fulfilled. 4 out of 5 characters are characters I've been wanting, and the last one won me over when I saw his abilities in Smash (Joker).

It has literally been money well spent.
Who was the one you didn’t want?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I already love Byleth, and Three Houses, but what's more than amazing is that Sakurai found a way to represent ALL THE MAIN CHARACTERS in Byleth with their weapons. I mean, who could see that coming?? I thought Byleth would just , you know, keep with their own abilities, brawling, magic and Sword of the Creator, but this is even better! THE LITERAL IDEAL FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER! How can you EVEN be mad???? Play some damned FE 3H yo. I say it's probably even a better game overall than Smash Ultimate honestly.

D

Deleted member

Likely super weak to zoning though.
Isn't that just the spear though?

Sword & Axe for close range
Spear for Mid-range
Bow for long range

They seem more like a zoning/spacing character to me. If Byleth is weak to anything, it'll likely be that start and/or end lag will be noticeable and Byleth will probably be very punishable if the player plays too recklessly.

EDIT: Essentially the weaknesses of a typical Zoning character

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Considering how Sakurai seems to love characters who seem to come out from a shonen anime or something close to it, Dante, Travis and KOS-MOS are all possible IMO.
There's an high chance it will be someone I care absolutely nothing about, as always. I hope first parties will be considered, at least for fighter pass 2.
I was close on that. It's an anime-like character! Not a random anime character, a Fire Emblem Anime Swordman(TM). Also, first parties have been considered, indeed.

But jokes aside, IMO Byleth is "meh", I have mixed feelings.

Changing weapon is just a cheap gimmick to pretend his moveset is more unique, when in fact it's not much different than sword, shorter but more powerful sword, and very long sword. There is a bow, that's it, and no counter for once.

The only move I like of this character is that whip jump that allows you to use an enemy to jump higher... it's what I was expecting from a character like Hornet from Hollow Knight... meh, I wish it was Hornet instead of this, but what you can do. Overall, Byleth is one of those generic characters with a basic moveset and nothing really unique... it's not necessarily bad, but for me is a bit of a disappointment.

But this announcement is interesting speculation-wise, for me at least.
First of all, it means that first parties are still on the table. Then, the spirit theory is still valid... Edelgard was one of the popular "missing spirits" and now it has been added along with all the other Three Houses spirits. This means that game specific sets of spirits are possible even for already represented series.
All of this suggests that my most wanted still has a chance, and I'm happy of that.
The Kirby series is well represented in the game, every game is referenced in different ways (even obscure stuff like Gryll), but Kirby 64 has no spirits and only two songs, one is from Brawl (02 theme) and the other is a basic rip from the original game (first level theme). A Smash x Kirby 64 is still very possible (especially if they are planning to remake it or something).

Lastly, Cacomallow is fake. I knew it, but apparently some people here needed a confirmation.

This said, I'm more and more convinced that the missing spirits mean something.
We're likely getting a Metroid newcomer (Sylux or a new character from MP4) who will bring the Sylux spirit into the game, a Kirby newcomer (Adeleine, Taranza or a new game character) who will bring the Adeleine, Ribbon and Taranza spirits into the game; and Porky.
If not a newcomer, those series are likely getting at least a spirit event... all the relevant missing spirits will likely be added sooner or later.
Geno is coming back in some form. The Megaman.EXE costume has returned, and so will be for Geno too. We don't know yet if he will come back as a costume or as a full fighter, but I'm pretty sure he will come back.
Assassin's Creed may get a character as well... that Altair thing is very suspicious, and Ezio might still have a chance.

I'm at least happy that speculation is now more open to first party characters and it's not third party only anymore...
But having to wait 2 more years before being able to know the whole lineup is very annoying, at this point I don't know what I should do with this game... I was waiting for the full list of characters before deciding if to get it or skip it, but I don't want to wait 2 more years for that... I'm not sure, I don't have much interest in this iteration of Smash and unless a favorite of mine gets announced, I think I'm going to skip it completely (I'm sure a new Smash title will come out in 1 or 2 years after the end of the DLC cycle so I'd rather wait for that, on the next console).
I will still follow the speculation... if in some way Adeleine manages to make it in the game (as a full fighter and not just as a spirit/costume/cameo), I'd take back all what I said and would purchase game + dlc instantly.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

Yes, Sakurai gave us a phenomenal game. To start attacking him for an unpopular pick is uncalled for and unfair. This is the guy who brought Banjo and K Rool back from the dead and pitted Sonic vs Mario.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean we did get a Corrin female Amiibo so I'd expect a female Byleth one too.
I mean, yeah, but Robin only had male and other characters with alts didn't get their alts as amiibo (Inkling, for example).
The only characters that got P2 amiibo were the last round of DLC ones (Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta), so I'm just hoping Byleth gets one since, unlike fCorrin, there isn't even another figure of fByleth being made.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Fire Emblem for Switch were announced the same month (January 2017), its possible both Byleth & Rex/Pyra were floating around at the same time for Sakurai to consider.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly? My advice is to get out of Twitter for a while. That place is just a big megaphone that broadcasts whoever screams the loudest. Makes you think things are worse than they actually are.

It's pretty much what I did and so far I've seen more people being civil than not.
Implying that I'm even regularly on Twitter.

Only reason I have one is to promote my Youtube channel. I just clicked someone's link here to a Sakurai tweet and scrolled down to look at the first three comments. All three were nausea-inducing.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
So I JUST have to say something. I've lurked and occasionally posted here and the Geno thread recently - as evidenced by my join date on smash boards.... let's just say I've been here a long long time lol.

But it's just so painful to see people locking in their speculation as fact and the "hive mind" as people call it, joining in on the fallacy fun. Can people take a step back with speculation and keep it that way? I've seen SO MANY POSTS pertaining to how it's GUARANTEED to be 3rd party. Or how it's ABSOLUTELY KOSMOS because of color theory. Or how Puyo Puyo RETWEEETEEED.

And I don't mean painful in the way that I hate looking at it or in any spiteful way. I just mean in a way that I feel bad because there are people who are inevitably building themselves up for so much disappointment.

There are so many ways to be wrong and only one way to be right.

Fake leaks are one thing. But rationalizing Sakurai's process of picking characters through it being 1st or 3rd party consistencies, looking FAR too deeply into his pics of the day, or even using his old arguments for why characters can or can't be relevant, is ALL NONSENSE. It's absolute nonsense to an extreme. The moments where we know which character it is for sure, are the moments where there was a genuine leak.

I say this with a love for speculation and waiting for each new character to be revealed. But I cannot believe there are this many people shocked and bothered by the fact that it was indeed a generic Sakurai Nintendo pick. Everyone needs to take a step back and understand that there are as many rational reasons as there are irrational reasons for why Byleth was picked and that we may never find out each and every one of those reason.

We have 6 more character reveals coming. Stop making the same speculative mistakes and understand that 99% of what you hear is going to be wrong - no matter how rational it seems.

/end rant.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace

I’m not happy with Byleth’s inclusion at all, but I’d never condone people insulting or threatening others.

It’s still just a game at the end of the day.

I’m disappointed now, but give it a few days at most and I’ll be over it. Not the end of the world.

We do have 6 more characters after all.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Y'all... with Byleth's confirmation, we live in a world where Ring Fit Trainer legit has a chance. This is going to be one zany ride, and I am so down, ahaha.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Rosalina is a regular since her introduction, which is more you could say about Skull Kid or Midna.

It would be nice to have more Zelda characters, but is also understandable why they are not a priority since a lot of major characters have prominence in one title only to disappear or being relegated to a minor part in the next games. Only one that kinda breaks this is Impa and she just changes role drastically along with appearance.
I mention Rosalina because she only has one or two major appearances, only three if you count her appearance in SMG2, and more if you count the spinoffs, which then we could count Hyrule Warriors for Skull Kid and others.

I can understand why Sakurai focuses on the triforce-wielders, but it is a bit annoying how people ignore that Zelda has a rotating cast as well and downplay people’s wants while ignoring other series in similar situations. I don’t even care how many characters FE or any other series gets; heck, I’m asking for Geno and Gengar, and I’m patient, I just don’t get why fans downplay Zelda characters.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
This is going to be buried but I'll say this.

Oh my God is that remix of the Three Houses main theme a killer! I love the Celtic vibe so much from it. I can't wait to get that remix on my phone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok so it took 14 months since the first pass was announced to showcase all the contents and while the second pass is gonna have an extra character, it'll take an estimated 23 months, you guys thought waiting for Byleth was bad then we've got a whole storm coming.

Also Verge managed to leak the costumes like 10 minutes beforehand and is now the only leaker to not have eaten crow

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Only cool OG "Leak Thread" members remember the Pacman cloud. #CoolGuyOG

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will say, the Byleth related assets looked pretty rough in the trailer. The playable character models had been noticeably improved since the making of the trailer, so I'm excited to see what the super rough looking background character look like now. It'd be hilarious if Lorenz looks just as awful since he's such a silly looking character.

It's not real. People see what they want to see.

To that end, what are you on about?
Zooming in...
Enhancing...

Something.PNG

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
>People thought Daisy theory meant something

XD

Also, reminder that Gamexplain “predictions” usually end up being right, regardless of what they want you to believe. Literally all of them were backing a first party, and one of them even outright called Byleth.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It's sad that Smash fans are always being salty about characters they don't want get into Smash instead of fan requested characters, cause of these fake leaks and other stupid hints.:glare:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Implying that I'm even regularly on Twitter.

Only reason I have one is to promote my Youtube channel. I just clicked someone's link here to a Sakurai tweet and scrolled down to look at the first three comments. All three were nausea-inducing.
I'm not implying anything. All I'm saying is that "tHe SaLT" isn't nearly as bad outside of certain places.

If it was, you'd expect a lot of people to have been banned already over here, but that hasn't happened. :joyful:

Three tweets are not the entire fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom