• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also I love how boomer Smash fans throw a fit about characters having gimmicks since Smash 4 but Byleth is oddly enough the only DLC character without any gimmicks whatsoever, like how Corrin was the only 4 DLC newcomer without a gimmick. I love gimmicky **** when it works but it's full circle huh
Banjo isn't really a gimmicky character either though, unless you consider his OP Flare Blitz that only has five uses to be a gimmick.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Here is my take took this idea from aaronitmar but it is a little different from what he said. While I think fire emblem should have not gotten another rep and I wish they would have showed another character or something (sorta what aaronitmar said). But I was kind not as mad as I thought I would be. Also cup head costume is pretty cool. I think it is fine that people show that they didn’t like it by disliking it but they should disliking the other fire emblem dlc trailer for three houses. Also y do so a good chunk of u act like the smash fan base is just some super toxic fan base all fan bases have the bad parts in them.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
NGL, I kind of want the default from Fortnite to be added to Smash now. Just to see what kind of tune people would be singing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
Makes no sense to single out Ryu Hayabusa when Erdrick had far more promising leaks. The only leak Hayabusa had was a fake 5ch one that got him and Doom Guy in the lime light.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Even from a gameplay perspective, Byleth looks wicked fun

Corrin's got some serious competition when it comes to main material

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Forgive me if this was already said, this thread's moving a mile a minute. But the Japanese site confirms that Fighter's Pass 2 will work in the same way as Pass 1, as in each character comes with their own stage and music.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay... so first impressions? Better than I expected, really. Byleth is what I wish Corrin had been - unique mechanics that actually draw from other FE elements that aren't Counter, a stage that references a specific game, songs that aren't just remixes of the same one. Can't say I was hyped, but I'm okay with it.

I especially liked the fact that they use the other weapons in their normals and not just their specials.

I'll still wait to give them a spin, but... God, I'm just glad this one wasn't as big of a disappointment as Corrin for me. Though I do wish other series could get similar opportunities, like ARMS, Xenoblade and Astral Chain.

That said... let's go into what really matters! SIX ADDITIONAL CHARACTERS! UBISOFT AND CUPHEAD MII COSTUMES! There's a lot to unpack here.

First off... I do think Capcom and Namco newcomers are gonna happen next season. We still have the MH costumes missing from Capcom and all of the Namco costumes are missing as well. I'm betting on Heihachi for Namco, but for Capcom... it's Phoenix vs Dante.

Second: with the mii costumes we got... I think it's safe to say we probably aren't getting a Ubisoft character. AC was their frontrunner and got shut down just like that, plus Rabbids stuff. Yeah, I don't think it's happening. Indies also took another blow with Cuphead, so I'm starting to think the only one that stands a chance is Reimu... but even then her popularity in Japan might convert to a costume or Spirit event as well.

As for first parties... I can see one promotion happening. Maybe. If it did, my bet would be Waluigi or Isaac. But... I'm not confident in that at all, so I think Byleth may as well have been our last Nintendo rep here.

And... Travis. Yeah, I think he's happening. Not exactly a supporter, but with six additional slots, I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sssshhhh... she’s coming. I can just taste it.
Ew I don't wanna taste her.

But the male Byleth poster was uneven with the other two and my ADHD was having none of it that entire presentation.
I love how he was putting it on during the video and was like "oh crap the trailer's over" when we next saw him.

Here is my take took this idea from aaronitmar but it is a little different from what he said. While I think fire emblem should have not gotten another rep and I wish they would have showed another character or something (sorta what aaronitmar said). But I was kind not as mad as I thought I would be. Also cup head costume is pretty cool. I think it is fine that people show that they didn’t like it by disliking it but they should disliking the other fire emblem dlc trailer for three houses. Also y do so a good chunk of u act like the smash fan base is just some super toxic fan base all fan bases have the bad parts in them.
I bet mos of the YouTubers will treat the reveal as "a swing and a miss".

NGL, I kind of want the default from Fortnite to be added to Smash now. Just to see what kind of tune people would be singing.
It would be "Better Than Byleth" Vs. "I Hate Fortnite".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm with N3ON here. I'm just, indifferent I guess...

I can see where both sides are coming from though. I'm happy for those that wanted this character, that's all I will say on the matter I suppose...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
FP2 and FP3 = Fighter’s PASS two and three?

THERE’S GONNA BE A THIRD PASS?!

It does line up with the 4 remaining WoL slots after pass 2 tbh... and Byleth would be Pass 2 material normally

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey, Fire Emblem haters. I don't need anymore shade.

I've got my own.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about the cut back to Sakurai putting up the byleth poster and how great that was
No joke, this was my highlight. Sakurai is hilarious, I'd love to see him make a YT channel after DLC is wrapped and livestream. Talk video game history, play some of his favorites, joke around...I'd live for it, but his comment section would probably just get bombarded with roster hate and stupid requests.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I noticed that Male & Female Byleth share the character tab on the Smash Bros. site..I really hope this means they're considered equal so we get a female Byleth amiibo..I just want a figure of her!
They have eight.

Out of 86.
Thank you!
Yeah but it's an exaggerated point that's starting to be a pain in the neck.
I'm annoyed by the exaggerations and hatred expelled as well..I made that avatar of annoyed Byleth surrounded by 'Too Much FE' 'Female Byleth Looks Dumb!' 'Too Much Swords!' etc around her for a reason way back when..seems I sadly deleted it..
This was a pick made specifically out of spite.
Too many things point to it.
I mean I'm really happy about it cause I loved 3H, but from that reveal trailer to the way Sakurai acted in the presentation, he knew exactly what he was doing.
'Spite' is not the right. Sakurai did not do this to spite or anger anyway, he did this because he had a fun idea for Byleth and wanted to use her in the game.
Honestly, though I'll still need to actually play Byleth, their overall content makes them Joker tier at worst, only dud of this pass in Banjo if you ask me
Its really brave to say that here lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No joke, this was my highlight. Sakurai is hilarious, I'd love to see him make a YT channel after DLC is wrapped and livestream. Talk video game history, play some of his favorites, joke around...I'd live for it, but his comment section would probably just get bombarded with roster hate and stupid requests.
I bet if Sakurai became a Vtuber, he would be super popular

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I will say this.

I know it probably won't happen because lol budget, but I really hope the next 6 characters still get CGI trailers. The fact that we got them for Pass 1 was awesome, though they did pretty well with Smash 4's trailers too.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
So just a day and a half out, finally, from FP5 announcement, and Im just as excited as anyone else for it. Now, Ive done a lot of thinking about this (my job offers plenty of time for mind wandering), but I want to hear from others who they think it will be, and why; some mostly concrete reason they will be included beyond, 'because I really like them.' Dont get me wrong, I love wishful thinking, but I would like to avoid that here if possible. Now if your wishful thinking can be justified, then by all means, carry on! But if youre predicting Master Chief because you like Halo, maybe reconsider. Thats all I ask.

That said, here is, off the top of my head, some of the 'facts' we know about FP5, to help make/break characters consideration.

A: Nintendo presented Sakurai with a list of characters for him to choose from.
On the subject of DLC, Nintendo asked Sakurai to pick characters he could incorporate into Smash. So FP5 is still a Nintendo choice and not a Sakurai favorite, so keep in mind that their selection likely has business interests at heart and wont be another Piranha Plant. Terry is an outlier here but the other 3 made business sense for the N.
This I feel is the single biggest determinant because what Nintendo knows and is planning internally is years ahead of what gets announced. Games take years to make; Smash characters take 6 months (according to Sakurai). Remakes/ports/remasters could easily coincide with FP5, since Nintendo plans that years in advance. Waluigi, as much as I would celebrate him, makes no sense because Waluigi Land is nowhere on the horizon.

B: Smash characters must have appeared on Nintendo and originate in games.
Sakurai talked about this during Smash4 DLC when the whole battle ballot was going on; I imagine to nip in the bud all the Goku and Naruto votes that were sure to come. This is still a rule that has been followed, so I dont see why it would get broken now. (Cloud appears in a FF spinoff on the 3DS, shaky but technically legit, and Joker appeared in Persona Q2 before the announcement of P5S on the Switch) So please dont explain how One Piece is sure to get in.

C: Fighters Pass brings characters not yet seen in Smash
When Joker was announced, Reggie talked about the DLC being characters new to Smash Bros. Keep in mind that is a wide door. Some people interpreted it much more narrow, as in new IP only, or separate franchises only, but thats not at all what was said. I would take this to mean no assist trophy or costume is getting upgraded any time soon (sorry Geno, Isaac, and Rex), but characters from other Smash established worlds would be ok. And I would put spirits in a gray area myself, because I really doubt anyone in charge would know 100% what all the spirits were and therefore could easily be wrong.

D: 4/5 does not mean 5/5
For some reason people are using the fact that the first 4 FP have been 3rd party to dismiss any 1st party chances and Im very confused. Ive never flipped a coin and gotten 4 heads in a row and suddenly believed that there was zero chance of the 5th flip being tails but I guess thats me. Fact is that FP5 could very easily be from a Nintendo property. Could also not. Thats what makes the speculation fun!

Now, theres a lot that can be extrapolated from what we know, but I dont want to dive into everything because Im sure a lot of you have already thought your way through it and I would like to hear/read your thoughts without contamination. Ill post my own later because I have some strong feelings and it would be cool to have some record if I end up correct! But mostly I want to hear from everyone.

Edit* Please let me know anything I missed or am mistaken on
If anyone bothers to read all that, I was basically right on the money for all of it. *self congratulatory pat on the back*

Personally I didnt want Byleth because another anime sword fighter, but Im glad they made them fairly unique, giving her the lords weapons as well and not using the sword of the creator exclusively. Much better than I was fearing for when I was anticipating their inclusion.

Ill never understand the salt from the community though. Are there too many FE reps? Yeah, could probably do without Lucina and Roy, sure thing. But remember when we cheered for Daisy, someone with importance that approaches 0 and is literally identical to another character? Now yall are upset about a unique fighter from the companies best selling release of 2019? I understand disappointment that youre favorite is left out but getting up in arms because of "lol of course its Fire Emblem" is way immature. If it had just been called Three Houses and had an NIS or Atlus on the box, half of you wouldnt care. Still wouldnt be what you want, sure, but videos wouldnt be getting bombed. Grow the heck up everyone.

That said, I know Zelda and Kirby both lack the representation they deserve, and sadly its hard to justify adding more as DLC. Both have some wonderful side characters, but sadly you dont spend 80+ hours with the likes of Impa and Marx. There are several characters I would love to see but have to live with knowing they will never qualify for DLC status.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
yo, I have the same problem with my ADHD too. And now that you point out thatnit wasnt even, its hard to ignore
You're welcome

I can see where both sides are coming from though. I'm happy for those that wanted this character, that's all I will say on the matter I suppose...
I gotta be honest, Dante wouldn't have done anything more for me than Byleth.

And I like DMC and 3H, it just is what it is.

Here's an interesting wild card scenario, what if KingZell's reports are true, and Halo is indeed coming to the Switch
Then I will simply re-play those games while everyone else interprets it as Smash-related. :D

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Here's an interesting wild card scenario, what if KingZell's reports are true, and Halo is indeed coming to the Switch
He's gotten too many things right to be ignored I wouldn't be surprised if halo 1-3 came to switch along with rare replay

KillerCage

Smash Master

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even though FE is literally the last existing franchise in Smash I wanted a newcomer from, Byleth did confirm first-party characters.

It's bittersweet.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I think I’m hopping back out for a while. Reading more about this one doesn’t help.

Sounds like it may be a while until the next reveal, so see you all in the summer possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom