• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand the Fire Emblem hate in general. Take a look at Chrom or Lucina and compare them to someone like Palutena, K. Rool, or the Belmonts, and tell me which ones take more time to develop.

Byleth's moveset is creative and Three Houses is a huge game for a large franchise. He clearly wasn't just made as an echo fighter like Lucina or Chrom. Take out the echo fighters and you have six Fire Emblem reps max, and even then, you can argue that Roy and Ike are elaborations on Marth too, and were put into the game for a good balance of easiness and favorability. Byleth is much more of a Robin than a Corrin.

There is essentially nothing wrong with Byleth being in the game, and I think he's really cool. I might main him partially just to annoy people, though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
On another note, Byleth is our first character who originated on the Switch, so that's neat.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why not just rename the game Mario Smash and get rid of all the other characters? 90s platformer mascots galore...
Well it already took the Super and the Bros. from Mario. Just swap out Smash for Emblem and we're set. ;P

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I lost since Byleth wasn't any of my predicted characters. True to my word, here's my essay on Why Leaker Culture is Good. I spent all night working on it so please enjoy.
Leaker culture is good because I like being told what to think and don't like having to think for myself.
Leaker culture is good because I like being told what to think and don't like having to think for myself.
If there's one important takeaway from today, it's that all leakers, "speculators," and theorists were blown the **** out on this blessed day.

May we enter a new era of speculation not plagued by such egomaniacs and pests.
I whole-heartedly agree with your essay. Also, Sakurai mentioned that Byleth was kept secret, even to Nintendo so perhaps that's why there was no leaks.

Even though Byleth wasn't my first 3 Houses choice, I'm actually pretty satisfied with how they work. It's impressive how well they represent the feel of fire emblem as a whole. Overall, Byleth is going to have the most sluggish moveset in the game. Skill with Byleth will be about making decisions more than having the most technical prowess. On top of that, different weapon types are all here with their own advantages and disadvantages. It just feels right.

The tongue-in-cheek trailer was pretty great, too.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm just kinda worried. Sakurai didn't bother to namedrop Advance Wars by name and instead was all like "turn based games that featured tanks & aircraft". Is he like snubbing the series or did he just not want to say the franchise's name?
I dont even think Japan cares for that game tbh

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just because we got our usual FE rep, doesn’t magically make them likely.

If anything, this proved anymore first parties to be even more unlikely. This should’ve proved without a shadow of a doubt that Spirits deconfirm.

Good luck trying to scrape for first parties that aren’t Spirits.
I mean, I had to tolerate a year of people repeatedly telling me, "Dude, get over it! Third-parties sell well and first-parties don't! We already have four third-parties so it's basically confirmed that the last one will be third-party too! Probably someone from Namco like KOS-MOS or Lloyd!"

So yeah...We DID get a first-party. By comparison, getting a character who's already a Spirit seems incredibly easy from my perspective. Not giving up prematurely.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Not even upset about this. I'm happy with any pick Sakurai makes, honestly. I haven't played Three Houses (I plan to get it eventually), but this makes me even more excited to play it when I do. Also, part of me is hoping Rillaboom makes it now, but that's neither here nor there. I've also seen some of you mention Arle & Reimu and I'd be happy to see them in the 2nd pass. Are they likely to happen? Who knows, but I'm excited to see what's to come in the future.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Fighter Pass = 4-1 like-dislike ratio. Pretty good, well worthy the purchase.
Please keep this up, mr. Sakurai and Co.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Y'all don't understand, something happened in my personal life an hour or so before this started and I was genuinely afraid about that ****. Having my favourite game of 2019 get in Smash helped ease the worry
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad this reveal atleast helped with that. Hope everything's okay

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Literally the only new first party last game for DLC was a Fire Emblem character.

Starting to think, with how that was the only Spirit board that was missing, that it may be the case again.
How was it a missing Spirit Board? It's literally apart of the 5. And 3H stuff wasn't a thing until after the Spirits were decided base game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thoughts:
  • It's hard to follow after four 3rd Parties and having a five month gap since Fighter 4 was announced. FE aside, I don't think any 1st Party character could follow after.
  • I think most Smash speculation nerds figured it was only a matter of time before a Three Houses rep was announced. Either here or for the now-confirmed Season 2.
  • Smash & FE trolls will probably have a field day with this and cause further headaches between the two communities. Am already seeing plenty of bad memes on Twitter. Please hype and respond responsibly.
  • I bought my copy of Three Houses on launch day but still have yet to play it. :laugh:
  • Ubisoft content! I guess we'll be speculating about Ezio or Rayman for the next pass. Not using the Assassin's Creed name though?
  • Cuphead! Hopefully an announcement of a physical Switch release is around the corner. I think they're waiting to finish the new DLC first?
  • 6 fighters that will span the end of next year. Holy crap. Would bet on 2/6 will be released before the end of this year.
  • No Joker Amiibo announcement?

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I lost since Byleth wasn't any of my predicted characters. True to my word, here's my essay on Why Leaker Culture is Good. I spent all night working on it so please enjoy.
If there's one important takeaway from today, it's that all leakers, "speculators," and theorists were blown the **** out on this blessed day.

May we enter a new era of speculation not plagued by such egomaniacs and pests.
100% agree with you.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I do question how Byleth will feel when playing as them. They have an aerial spacing game that’s vaguely similar to that of the Belmonts (long noodly fair and bair, nair with a wimpy hitbox) but without downward angled fair and bair or projectiles designed to cover his landings. Like, you have air sideB or something, but yeah.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Whoever six is has big shoes to fill because like piranha plant this made people mad I wonder who there gonna get to make people want to jump in this time joker was a smart move

D

Deleted member

My three predictions will be

1. Fire Emblem
  2. KOSMOS
  3. Arle

Chill with the embeds y'all. Link to the music.
I CALLED IT

I ****IN CALLED IT

It also looks sick too. Like Byleth is not my first choice, either in Three Houses or in general, but they made him awesome. My first moveset idea for him was to have him wield multiple weapons before I switched to having him using the house leaders. Him having the three legendary weapons is ultimately what I wanted from Byleth, so I'm happy.

Really amazing how they kept this ****** a secret from everybody. He was like the most obvious choice and that's somehow the fighter who wasn't leaked.

I know people are going to be salty about it, and that's fine given FE has almost as much fighters as Mario now and how Rex got shafted but FE didn't, but I'm fine with it. I liked Three Houses and what it means for Fire Emblem as a series. Plus they made FByleth cute and that's a bonus.

11 songs is great compared to Corrin getting like 2 or 3. Garreg Mach looks beautiful and I enjoy the stage references.

Geno ain't a mii costume yet, so the dream is still alive. Speaking of mii costumes, Assassins Creed and Cuphead in Smash is actually amazing. Especially Cuphead, because the developers deserve. Plus Cuphead music is hype.

Six more ****ing fighters after this. That's more than I expected, and I'm happy given the first FP. That means another year of speculation, but **** that. I'm gonna be too busy playing Dragon Quest anyways.

Overall good. It's not super hype personally, but I never needed that after Banjo and Hero. Hope y'all get your most wanteds down the road.

Anyways I recorded my live reaction for the fun of it. Sorry for the tilted phone camera and dry voice.

E: Hold on a sec. Smashboards is being weird with the link

Last edited by a moderator:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The best part is that the people crying over FE characters will be cheering and praising the living **** out of Sakurai the moment he adds one of their precious characters. They will claim he’s a god. It’s kinda stupid.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Played 3 Houses this past Xmas. First time I've been interested in a FE character in a long time. I would've preferred Edelgard tho

D

Deleted member

After looking back on the character list the wasn't going to be CP5, I guess a first party character was one of the few things not on it.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm pretty sure that a lot of GameFAQ users are more likely to be in a salty and rage mode knowing what they are like (which is a reason why I do not post on GameFAQs that much.)

I mean, as I said before, I don't have anything against Byleth at all.
It's why I don't visit.

For me this character would be in a category 2/3 of excitement. I wish it was Edelgard as a new FE rep but I'm satisfied regardless. This and a reassuring email about my college situation has made me feel a bit better.
I'd be blunt with some people, see when you are acting like a troll and screaming on the internet about this, it just makes look immature. Try doing it outside of the computer and get the reaction. See if people are like "look I just don't like Fire Emblem so I'm not into this." or "Maybe it's cause I don't like JRPGs or too many human characters is why I don't like Byleth in." that's good.
There's a difference between disagreeing and being a ****.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Went to the Geno thread and saw they were crying about it being the 8th Fire Emblem character, rather then it being the 11th Mario character.

Yeah that was expected.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I had to tolerate a year of people repeatedly telling me, "Dude, get over it! Third-parties sell well and first-parties don't! We already have four third-parties so it's basically confirmed that the last one will be third-party too! Probably someone from Namco like KOS-MOS or Lloyd!"

So yeah...We DID get a first-party. By comparison, getting a character who's already a Spirit seems incredibly easy from my perspective. Not giving up prematurely.
I would at least say this. Since this presentation, where Sakurai said that all the Fighter Pass 2 characters are locked in, was recorded in November, it's probably very likely that the new spirit events like the Resident Evil and Astral Chain events do indeed serve as a deconfirmation. Not all spirits deconfirm, but those ones probably do.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, Sabi was wrong, because he said what Zippo said was right, that it’s not directly-related to Nintendo/they’re relevant even if Nintendo isn’t mentioned. Apparently Zippo asked “Is Fire Emblem fully owned?” on ResetEra, though, so idk if he knew or not, but I guess Sabi is gonna continue grabbing whatever he can to gain e-cred and feed his already enormous ego, and people are gonna continue ignoring this and sit right alongside him to insult/make fun of everyone who doesn’t believe his narcissistic self.

Anyway, I want to try Byleth, but I guess we’ll be waiting until February; that’s alright, though. I’m patient.

Geno lookin’ likelier for the next pass. Maybe we’ll get Steve, too, and I’ll cry tears of joy.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Loool. They reveal Byleth the same day they reveal the trailer for the last wave of Three Houses DLC

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I wonder were Lesley is she got her female technically I figured she'd be celebrating

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I mean Zelda is a flagship title, even bigger than FE, but it’s not getting good representation compared to FE.

Let’s be real here, Byleth got in because Sakurai is a huge fan of the series not because it’s “flagship” level or anything like that lol.
Zelda has excellent representation. All three of the "main" characters of the series are in Smash, one with three different versions. Random side characters just don't have as much weight. Furthermore, at 5 reps Zelda is one of the best-represented series in Smash overall.

Meanwhile, as Sakurai addressed, Fire Emblem now has like 25-30+ different protagonists, any of whom would be a fine inclusion in Smash. The simple fact is that Fire Emblem's character pool is far deeper than most other Nintendo series by dint of its sheer number of protagonists.

FE absolutely is a flagship Nintendo series as things currently stand. Anyone saying otherwise just isn't being realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom