• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
bingo card.png

Man, I am just blazing through these.

(this isn't exclusive to the boards this is filled out based on all my Smash communities)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Olay, so I don't mind more Fire emblem, which is an unpopular opinion.

What I do mind is if they are too similar too each other, which is why I love Robin and Corrin, despite Corrin's game being bad she at least has a fun moveset and is great to play.

Now Byleth having a variety of weapons? That's really great, and I love this inclusion.

I can't wait to play on the stage, it looks really fun and I can't wait to play Codename steams music on it. I'm kinda disappointed we didn't get Tokyo Mirrage sessions music though, I like that ost.

Those alts man, they are ****ing sexy, I'm using the Edelgard one for sure.

And... We got my boy back
super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u-mega-man-battle-network-proto-man-mega-man-x-megaman.jpg

I haven't been this happy with Smash since Jokers trailer. I love Hub and I'm so happy to have him back.

When that Altair outfit came on... my heart stopped for a second because I thought it was Etzio. And the Cuphead outfit... HMMM that was great. I'm buying that one day 1, after Hub.

Overall I'm happy with what was shown off and I can't wait to actually play as our hot teacher.

>No Bernie spirit
received_697136524097407.jpeg

I take everything back I hate this game.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
The last thing I thought before the stream was "watch as it's Byleth". I was joking, but damn. Well at least he looks different enough, but why end on a FE character after so many unique 3rd parties? Feels anti-climactic.

Cuphead's costume was more exciting, honestly. Actually the same thing happened last time, with Sans being more exciting than Terry (no disrespect to Terry though, he's cool).

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I think they should have released him as the third or fourth character of the FP.
Maybe ending with banjo

D

Deleted member

I guess if you don't like Fire Emblem, you're screwed. Is it true that the pass last until December 2021?

blackghost

Smash Champion
Bayonetta wasn't, and I say that as someone who wanted to see Bayonetta win the Smash Ballot. (or at least voted for her in the hopes that she'd appear in Smash at some point)

Besides, popularity can trump relevancy, as we saw with K. Rool (hadn't appeared in a video game in over a decade, let alone in a major role) or Banjo-Kazooie (who hadn't had a game since Nuts & Bolts, and were generally being ignored by the company that owns them).
third party inclusions have been giants. bayonetta is not a third [party inclusion.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Also the Geno thread is mighty toxic right now.
Oh **** off with that. Just because 1 or 2 people are upset, the rest are just relieved that Geno's Mii didn't get revealed.

C'mon man.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I'm ok with this. Arle survived yes.
Congrats FETH fans.
Six more fighters is a good news. I wasn't expecting even five tbh.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Was a bit disappointed, but Byleth looks cool.

Anyways, STILL NO GENO COSTUME AND WE GOT CUPHEAD (unfortunately not as a fighter but at least he’s a Sans-tier mii), YEAH BOI. Rabbid Mii is funny too.

Zelda doesn't really need one, like I've said before, Zelda's newest game (not counting Link's Awakening) is already represented fine through Link's new look and altered moveset as well as the Breath of the Wild stage. I mean, Zelda doesn't have a rotating case (unless you count reincarnation), unlike Fire Emblem, so its easier to represent without a newcomer.
Zelda does have a rotating cast, it’s not all about the triforce wielders. You’ve got Skull Kid, Midna, Marin, Fi, Tingle (though he’s in multiple games (and really Skull Kid too)), etc.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
The salt in this thread is hilarious! All the brainiacs on this thread who claimed “ALL THIRD PARTIES”. Sorry guys! That’s such a shame!

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm willing to accept Byleth since we're getting six more fighters. It balances itself out there for me.

I still think Byleth is too "safe" and "Vanilla" of a choice but that's just me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, RIP color theory. Everyone was expecting orange - Byleth’s color is mint green

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
third party inclusions have been giants. bayonetta is not a third [party inclusion.
...Uh, what? Bayonetta is a Sega character. She's 100% 3rd party. Nintendo can support her as much they want, but they don't own the character or series.

The rights to distribute(or an exclusive console game) is a completely different thing. It doesn't give them ownership of the character, it just gives them control of the game in question.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Byleth is going to be the new focus of Hate despite looking kinda cool. I felt bad for Corrin last game; being the last DLC revealed and actually looking cool and unique but everyone hating on them just because it was a FE character. Now Byleth will suffer that same fate.
Kinda sad because people actually met bay before they showed up in smash Corrin was a nobody in the west before he was introduced

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Sakurai says "it might take some time for the 6th fighter to be revealed".

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just finished watching the stream and there were tons of toxic comments posted once Byleth was unveiled whilst it went live.

Anyways, I had a feeling it was going to be someone who is not highly expected and at the same time, I knew Three Houses was going to get represented in Smash eventually. Although I have nothing against Byleth, I would've preferred Edelgard. Anyways whilst a part of me seemed satisfied (based on Byleth's gameplay), a part of me felt like having waited until 2pm (UK time) for the stream to go live:

But seeing the announcement of the second fighters pass was bound to happen considering how successful Ultimate is and that they are willing to provide further support. As for my prediction of when we will know the sixth challenger, I will guess at around E3 would be the right time to unveil them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Huh? So I guess that happened.

Well, I think if this went down like a year or two ago, I would have been really upset like I was with Corrin. Can't say i'm thrilled still but holy hell i'm so relieved that 1st parties are back on the table. After a year+ of people telling me they had no chance, finally this dumb assumption is dead. Byleth looks pretty cool as well so there's that.

Also, Sakurai literally gave Advance Wars a shoutout in this presentation in his FE retrospective with the "Tanks & Aircraft" comment. At that point, I was scared half to death that Andy was going to get the Mii Costume bullet but thankfully, he dodged that bullet.

At least Sakurai mentioned the franchise so maybe with those AW Mobile rumors floating around and Andy not being Mii Costume BTFO'd, there's a chance for him. Plus 1st parties are still a thing regardless of promotions so it's also more encouraging.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

I don't get why people are so salty Sakurai made Byleth incredibly unique, and its clear that the development team enjoyed making those characters.
I literally just looked, they are not. Quit trying to spread fake **** cause you’re salty.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah I do feel bad for the XC 2 fans who got passed up for Fire Emblem, and I don't think there will be any promotions.

But there is always a possibility of Lora and Jin; which would probably be more exciting then Rex and Pyra. At least to me.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Not my personal choice, but denying Three Houses impact would be wrong. Only mildly annoying because Fire Emblem has had a pick from every single new game released since Path of Radiance. But otherwise, if they had to add a Three Houses pick, this was the best we could ask for.

But also Cuphead mii costume with song!

Ahh well, 11 months of speculating on 6 characters with everything back on the board. Should be fun.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
The salt in this thread is hilarious! All the brainiacs on this thread who claimed “ALL THIRD PARTIES”. Sorry guys! That’s such a shame!
It would make me feel bad if it wasn't a game with 70+ amazing characters already, including numerous fan favorites added to this game alone.

Even if you dislike Byleth, seriously just relax. Sakurai isn't making the game solely for you or the people on Smashboards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think they should have released him as the third or fourth character of the FP.
Maybe ending with banjo
Despite very relevant evidence to the contrary, people can't shake the notion that character releases follow some narrative-oriented trajectory, where things end in a climax. But they don't. They end in FE.
Bayonetta climax puns notwithstanding.

Right now?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I can’t be the only one who thought it was going to be really crazy when Sakurai said “even Nintendo employees will be surprised by this one.” I was expecting something wild like Master Chief after that line. Seems like kind of a weird thing to say before revealing a pretty safe character.
Sakurai was simply highlighting that most Nintendo employees had no knowledge of the rep.

I hope this can also put all of the nonsense leaker drama to bed, since it's clear that Sakurai is now running an extremely tight ship.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This comment I posted a few weeks back aged like fine wine:

Whenever people trash on Fire Emblem and say that it doesn't deserve another character, all that does is make me want a Three Houses character even more.

Three Houses being one of the best games on Switch
Each House leader having 2 cool designs to choose from
Three Houses having
a godly soundtrack
House leaders having tons of moveset potential through the use of battalions and other features in Three Houses
House leaders having weapons not represented through the current FE reps, while Byleth has a freaking whipsword
People hating on FE means that a new character would probably be a heel, and thus more fun to use

With all 6 points in place, my desire for a Three Houses rep grows ever stronger.

I literally feel like Thanos right now and I'm loving it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Is it true that the pass last until December 2021?
It just says they'll all be released by December 31, 2021. They probably have to give some sort of date, and just gave one where they can guarantee there won't be any delays. The likelihood of it taking 2 years to develop 6 fighters is pretty low.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai:

tenor.gif

Real talk, a 3H rep was inevitable, either in this pass or afterwards. The music selection is boss, the alt colors look great, I'm seriously digging the stage, and their moveset looks unique enough for me to ignore the fact that it's literally another blue-haired FE sword user. Plus, dat dope Cuphead Gunner costume! And a whopping SIX more fighters???

I'll say what nobody else will: You're not disappointed in the character. You're disappointed in the timing. Expectations after Joker and Banjo were through the roof and y'all set yourselves up for Master Chief or Sora. If Byleth was announced at E3 or even instead of Terry, and someone like Banjo or Hero wrapped up the Pass today, then you wouldn't be (as) upset at their inclusion.

Give it time. And remember...six more fighters. They'll trickle out a lot slower this time (our next announcement probably won't be until E3), but that means we're not even halfway through Ultimate's DLC. That's huge!

Anyway, I'm going to go be that gross moron and drool over Lady Byleth's new render some more. The rest of y'all, go have a big ol' breakfast and chill out for a sec.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I know FE is very hated by the Smash community at large, but I'm so incredibly happy to see Byleth here, if Ultimate is made to be a Smash swan song, they can't just do it without a new FE character for the meme :^) And despite that, the effort put in to make the character look great and fun to play (and represent the weapon triangle, finally!) is clear and I'm excited

Even if no one else likes you, welcome home Byleth!

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
And to the surprise of no one, the announcement video has a ton of dislikes. I can already tell the reaction videos are going to have a ton of ******** and moaning.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Incredibly solid show Sakurai, and also congrats on literally giving the middle finger to the worst parts of the Smash fan base by prodding them with a Fire Emblem sword fighter joke.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Despite very relevant evidence to the contrary, people can't shake the notion that character releases follow some narrative-oriented trajectory, where things end in a climax. But they don't. They end in FE.
Bayonetta climax puns notwithstanding.

Right now?
Well closer to 5 pages ago when Byleth was revealed. Can't say I blame them because a ton of them put all their Hope's on Doomguy.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I am one of those people, and I gladly took the L.

We get that you want to stroke your ego as much as possible, but stooping down to that level is not the way to go.

Ivander

Smash Legend
DUN DUN DUN!

That said, Byleth looks cool and it's neat that they use different weapons. Good to see the X and Megaman.exe costumes. The Cuphead costume is pretty cool(and cool that it brings a new track too) and the Assassin's Creed outfit was also a surprise. And 6 new fighters to look forward to. All in all, I'm good with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom