• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not really.
- Hero, or more accurately, Erdrick, was said to be in the game, but most people pegged him for DLC 1 when it ended up being Joker instead, it was just people continued to say Erdrick was in the game.
- Banjo wasn't really leaked, it was just that a new figure was being made and had a subtle design chang from the classic era version if I recall so people were going off of that as a reason to believe that Banjo-Kazooie was in.

The only one to legitimately leak prior to reveal was Terry due to Nintendo accidentally updating the copyright info to include SNK and pretty much everyone knew that if it was SNK, it was Terry Bogard.

Not gonna lie, I'd legit LOVE if it was one of the characters on that list just so everyone would stop taking Vergeben's word as gospel..it makes speculation a heck of a lot less fun.
One leaker actually hinted at Banjo before his reveal, Vergeben backing him up; Shinobi.

As for Hero, “Brave” was datamined after Vergeben claimed Erdrick so most people (accurately) assumed it was Dragon Quest.

Tots Woz

Hey y'all, Scott here!
Hey all. Scott here! Seems as if we're nearing the end, aren't we?

There's only 9 hours left until the light is shown, Sakurai reveals who the final franchise, character, game world is for Smash Ultimate, and needless to say, I'm pretty pumped. I've been seein' stuff going around like Travis from No More Heroes, Arle from Puyo Puyo, and for some reason GameXplain and Spawn Wave still want to haunt my soul by saying it'll be Rex & Pyra.

Regardless of whomever the character is, I think it's pretty important to take a good look back at what we got in this past year.

Akira/Ren, A.K.A., Joker from Persona 5.

What was thought to be another Sony exclusive franchise barging it's way into Smash, arguably one of the most, if not, THE most biggest bombshell in Smash history. It showed that Nintendo was still gonna be playing smart going into this year of the Switch, and thanks to Sakurai's love, we got some of the most stylish and character put into a DLC. Ended up being top tier, and one of the few characters that never got leaked.

Hero/Luminary from Dragon Quest/Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

Iconic RPG franchise hailing from good ol' Japan, I honestly am still surprised to this day that Dragon Quest never made it in, pre-E3 2019. What was just thought to be Dragon Quest III's Erdrick coming by insiders and people at large, ended up being so much more. Four alternate hero skins, and an expansive moveset to boot. And while he isn't the fastest or highest in terms of the metagame, and the music maybe for some to be lacking, it makes up in merit alone.

Banjo & Kazooie from, of course, Banjo-Kazooie.

The longest request in Super Smash Bros. history. 20 years in the making. And it finally happened. Thought to never happen, "too irrelevant." And here come the Brit's own legendary bear-and-bird duo. An iconic moment in gaming history, solidifying Nintendo's E3 presentation in 2019 and had quite the content; seven new remixes, Grant Kirkhope joining as the first ever foreign composer to make music for a Smash game, and overall feeling like a blast from the past. But what's more? Once again crushing fan rules. At this point, truly nothing can hold anyone back.

And last, but certainly not least, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury/King of Fighters.

"Are you okay?" Because I surely wasn't when the presentation aired and what Terry was bringing to the table. Bringing in the "cool" factor with pride on the back of his jacket, this was of course, where we saw Sakurai show his love and devotion the most. Remember, without King of Fighters, we quite possibly might never had Smash to begin with. And he was not playing; even bringing along other SNK classics such as Psycho Soldier and Metal Slug, a whopping 50-song music pack, tons of cameos alongside a creative stage to harken back to SNK fighting glory.

Needless to say, I think when it comes down to it, for $24.99? This was a solid, SOLID ****ing deal. So far...

4 characters, 4 stages, 89 songs, tons of spirits and 4 DLC exclusive spirit boards.

And we still have one more to go, fellas.

We're in the endgame now.

all hell breaking loose.png

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If it's Travis Touchdown, it'll literally be another Bayonetta event - Nintendo pushing a game they have rights to so they can move more copies. I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't love it either.

cothero

Smash Lord
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78333254?jumpto=34#34

Speaking of Square Enix, Sora have been deconfirmed in this final list as well, but no sign of Lara Croft. I really think everyone overlooked Lara's chances. Many complained about the lack of feminine representativeness in the Fighters Pass until now, but the most iconic female video game character ever have been relatively ignored. It's also interesting to note that Sakurai retweeted the Smash direct in both English and Japanese language, and the last time that happened was when Banjo (a western character) was revealed. Lara might be owned by a japane company right now, but she'll always be a western character to the core.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So Vergeben deconfirmed KOS-MOS finally. I won't change my mind tho since I still see her as a possibility.
But then I just remembered I made this post last year. Weirdly enough, this theory fits the bill for Zippo's "sorta Nintendo" criteria.
And coincidentally, Sakurai recently brought this game's name out during Yosupi Santa livestream.
Hmm...
What's the History behind this video game?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
The last sentence makes it sound like his source knows this character is so specific Nintendo would strike anyone down the moment they mention their name, so I'm guessing it's a character from a series very few people talk about within the Smash community as a whole, whether if it's because it's considerably niche or just haven't been thought about over other franchises.

...which makes it the perfect time for that said character to be from Dynasty Warriors!

I'm heading to bed for now. I'll see ya'll either before I go to work or after I get back.
I'd say this is the part where we start narrowing things down, but there's no real point to that because we'll find out in around 9 or so hours (or in my case, when I get out of bed)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If it's Travis Touchdown, it'll literally be another Bayonetta event - Nintendo pushing a game they have rights to so they can move more copies. I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't love it either.
Nintendo has no rights to No More Heroes. It's wholly owned by Marvelous.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
The huge mystery as to who fighter number 5 could be is what really has me most excited. After all this time we finally get to learn the big secret of who it is! Best of all, we're getting even more new characters afterwards! This is one of the few reasons I love Smash bros so much. It's the gift that keeps on giving! So much juicy content and love put into this game~
Chocobo Face (SmashBroards).png

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I dislike leakers as much as the next guy, Vergeben included.

Ironically, this is the one case where I'm hoping for him to be right.

It's the only circumstance where the character I'm rooting for stands a chance.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This post is irrelevant, please delete.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last prediction based on the info currently had, Im basing this on the statements from Verge and Zippo being right.

We are missing a franchise if we take Zippo statements into account from one of the companies that has little to no characters mentioned by Vergeben, a company which is pretty strict with leaks. The one that would mostly fit to these accounts, at least in my mind is Bravely Default.

Bravely is not that big of a series, its pretty much Nintendo exclusive and has an upcoming game. While its a longshot, its one that would fit these statements. (There was also a playful comment from Sakurai in being interested in Onion Knight and Bartz that was in one of the Cloud interviews, but this seems like it would be unrelated)

Plus its one that I could see as the smallest one, could be relegated to the end. Anyways good luck tomorrow and hope its a fun character.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
What's the History behind this video game?
HAL's last indie title and one of the reasons of their bankruptcy. However the relic of this game was used in the first Kirby's development who basically saved HAL. It's known as Famicom's last masterpiece and being memorable work for both Sakurai and Iwata.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
At the rate this is going, Fighter 5 is either going to be a character that was right under our noses, a total dark horse, or one of the characters that showed up in every fake leak under the sun.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey all. Scott here! Seems as if we're nearing the end, aren't we?

There's only 9 hours left until the light is shown, Sakurai reveals who the final franchise, character, game world is for Smash Ultimate, and needless to say, I'm pretty pumped. I've been seein' stuff going around like Travis from No More Heroes, Arle from Puyo Puyo, and for some reason GameXplain and Spawn Wave still want to haunt my soul by saying it'll be Rex & Pyra.

Regardless of whomever the character is, I think it's pretty important to take a good look back at what we got in this past year.

Akira/Ren, A.K.A., Joker from Persona 5.

What was thought to be another Sony exclusive franchise barging it's way into Smash, arguably one of the most, if not, THE most biggest bombshell in Smash history. It showed that Nintendo was still gonna be playing smart going into this year of the Switch, and thanks to Sakurai's love, we got some of the most stylish and character put into a DLC. Ended up being top tier, and one of the few characters that never got leaked.

Hero/Luminary from Dragon Quest/Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

Iconic RPG franchise hailing from good ol' Japan, I honestly am still surprised to this day that Dragon Quest never made it in, pre-E3 2019. What was just thought to be Dragon Quest III's Erdrick coming by insiders and people at large, ended up being so much more. Four alternate hero skins, and an expansive moveset to boot. And while he isn't the fastest or highest in terms of the metagame, and the music maybe for some to be lacking, it makes up in merit alone.

Banjo & Kazooie from, of course, Banjo-Kazooie.

The longest request in Super Smash Bros. history. 20 years in the making. And it finally happened. Thought to never happen, "too irrelevant." And here come the Brit's own legendary bear-and-bird duo. An iconic moment in gaming history, solidifying Nintendo's E3 presentation in 2019 and had quite the content; seven new remixes, Grant Kirkhope joining as the first ever foreign composer to make music for a Smash game, and overall feeling like a blast from the past. But what's more? Once again crushing fan rules. At this point, truly nothing can hold anyone back.

And last, but certainly not least, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury/King of Fighters.

"Are you okay?" Because I surely wasn't when the presentation aired and what Terry was bringing to the table. Bringing in the "cool" factor with pride on the back of his jacket, this was of course, where we saw Sakurai show his love and devotion the most. Remember, without King of Fighters, we quite possibly might never had Smash to begin with. And he was not playing; even bringing along other SNK classics such as Psycho Soldier and Metal Slug, a whopping 50-song music pack, tons of cameos alongside a creative stage to harken back to SNK fighting glory.

Needless to say, I think when it comes down to it, for $24.99? This was a solid, SOLID ****ing deal. So far...

4 characters, 4 stages, 89 songs, tons of spirits and 4 DLC exclusive spirit boards.

And we still have one more to go, fellas.

We're in the endgame now.

View attachment 257884
You're not the real Scott, are you?

if you are, big fan of yours, cool to see you around

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At the rate this is going, Fighter 5 is either going to be a character that was right under our noses,
A character that has been discussed multiple times but not taken seriously as of late.
a total dark horse,
A character that was BARELY talked about in Smash circles for the better part of Smash Ultinate and now recently as well.
or one of the characters that showed up in every fake leak under the sun.
A character that has been in the back of our minds since the beginning but not taken seriously due to showing up so much.
DsPxe5wUwAUtGJK.jpg

Or
a06.png

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Oh god, oh f***. Oh god. Oh f***. We're about to get this over with. I know that new bs will begin, but the old bs is reaching its climax. 70 days. I have been at this s*** for seventy. Long. Days. Sometimes I wonder how the f*** some of you do it. I've been blessed with a lot of free time lately because of unusual circumstances that don't matter in this topic, but when I get back to my old regular schedule I will somehow miss this s*** dearly. It was a mess, but it was OUR clusterf***. It has been an honor. This is my first reveal on this website and it may be one of my last. It has truly been an honour. Some of you will be disappointed and you have every right to be. Never forget that there's always next time though. So, cheer up, be happy for those that are excited, and try to find a reason to enjoy this game because it is a damn good game with a lot of devotion put into it. I say this because the less b****ing we have to read, the better. Let us celebrate. If not for the announcement, then at least rejoice the fact that round one is over with.

Thanks for coming to my Gale talk.

Ps: I wish you would stop lurking, GK. I need you.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
A character that has been discussed multiple times but not taken seriously as of late.

A character that was BARELY talked about in Smash circles for the better part of Smash Ultinate and now recently as well.

A character that has been in the back of our minds since the beginning but not taken seriously due to showing up so much.

Google Theory comes full circle, and Terry was just there to throw us off.
Well played, Sakurai.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Crazy to think Ultimate's been out over a year now and DLC is still running. Let's see what we have in stores for tomorrow. I'll admit that I'm getting nervous and don't want to jump on the hype train for nothing
What's even more crazy: it's not over, even after Fighter 5.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
At the rate this is going, Fighter 5 is either going to be a character that was right under our noses, a total dark horse, or one of the characters that showed up in every fake leak under the sun.
Its time

gillius-rockhead-golden-axe-the-duel2.png

GILLIUS HERE WE COME

Gilluis.gif

SUPER SMASH BROS X GOLDEN AXE

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I wonder if it could be one character that has a spirit in Smash already.
Would finally debunk the claim that chars with a spirit can't be fighter (I actually believe this, so no Shantae etc.).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok but NMH has had a cult status for the last decade alongside Suda51 getting thanked in Brawl's release for releasing NMH in the gap when Brawl got delayed alongside Suda pushing Travis ever since, Travis at the very least has more visible fan support than Bayo did.

Anyway I'm just a small part of the world but I'm just hoping that whoever we see in 6 hours is as hype as Terry was

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Verge didn't say there was no second SNK rep in his list.

Kyo Kusanagi incoming boys:denzel:
You're missing out on the bigger picture:
>No Metal Slug Costumes or Spirits
>Metal Slug soundtracks listed
>Classic franchise with wacky and charming animations...
>Great SFX and voice-calls that would be a treat to hear in Smash...
>HEAVY MACHINE GUN! RAWKET LAWNCHAIR!
1579161968511.png

Fighter 5 right here folks!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Last prediction based on the info currently had, Im basing this on the statements from Verge and Zippo being right.

We are missing a franchise if we take Zippo statements into account from one of the companies that has little to no characters mentioned by Vergeben, a company which is pretty strict with leaks. The one that would mostly fit to these accounts, at least in my mind is Bravely Default.

Bravely is not that big of a series, its pretty much Nintendo exclusive and has an upcoming game. While its a longshot, its one that would fit these statements. (There was also a playful comment from Sakurai in being interested in Onion Knight and Bartz that was in one of the Cloud interviews, but this seems like it would be unrelated)

Plus its one that I could see as the smallest one, could be relegated to the end. Anyways good luck tomorrow and hope its a fun character.
scenes when agnes gets revealed

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Matt Walker: *Announces free style switching in DMC3 Switch while making a joke to how everyone's expecting Dante in Smash today, heavily implying it isn't happening*

Me and the rest of the fandom
View attachment 257907
Sabi also said that it isn't Dante.
If that's true, I hope it's Crash or Doom Slayer.
Both fit the orangish brown background.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I'm just excited to see who it is. Glad we are going in blind for once. Anyone know the best way to watch the direct unspoiled after it airs? I have class from 6-10 and won't be able to watch it until after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom