• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Take your pick:

1. Nothing

2. We're getting three new characters instead of one

3. The newcomer only has three fingers on their hands

4. Absolutely nothing.

5. Sakurai has three things to reveal in the stream (this ones boring and will probably happen anyway)
3 characters huh?

Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude confirmed lol (I wish...)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ferdinand Von Aegir is the next fighter in Smash Ultimate and you will ALL ****ING LOVE HIM!!!
27AF893A-316C-48C6-AF5B-BCFA1BFEA579.jpeg
12987FBB-E9EB-4824-9CA9-5EE8F7A0648E.png
Take your pick:

1. Nothing

2. We're getting three new characters instead of one

3. The newcomer only has three fingers on their hands

4. Absolutely nothing.

5. Sakurai has three things to reveal in the stream (this ones boring and will probably happen anyway)
1. the entire cast of Three Houses
2. the Phantom Thieves
3. Jeanne...or even better...John Cena

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Never underestimate how ignorant people can be, I saw "literally who" when it came to Joker, despite the fact his game came out in 2017 and was a major GOTY contender that year.
Was that on a Nintendo console? Also google says it came out in 2016. I knew 2 people who played that game, and if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have known who he was. I never saw it talked about on gaming sites/reddit pages, never heard it talked about in conversations.

I understand that Persona is popular, but only with a specific group. I would venture a guess and say that Persona characters are still nowhere near as known as any Nintendo (or even popular 3rd party Nintendo games) games.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Was that on a Nintendo console? Also google says it came out in 2016. I knew 2 people who played that game, and if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have known who he was. I never saw it talked about on gaming sites/reddit pages, never heard it talked about in conversations.

I understand that Persona is popular, but only with a specific group. I would venture a guess and say that Persona characters are still nowhere near as known as any Nintendo (or even popular 3rd party Nintendo games) games.
Persona 5 is a PS4 exclusive and it was massive talk of the town on gaming websites when it came out, for its story, characters, art style, sound track and combat. Its even sold over 3 million copies. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/355039/Persona_5_has_topped_32_million_sales_worldwide.php

Also its Japanese release was in September of 2016 and released for the rest of the world in April of 2017. Also I can name several Nintendo series that aren't as popular as Persona including most of their own RPG's like Mother, Golden Sun, and even Xenoblade.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
alright guys

it’s time...
OMG, WE ARE FINALLY IN THE ENDGAME!!!

After so many literally no news since the Game Awards, we have all been hoping for general Nintendo direct as of this month, but honestly, this couldn't have been any better. Trying to keep hype levels at minimum, but after so long with no news it's kind of hard not to.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
OMG, WE ARE FINALLY IN THE ENDGAME!!!

After so many literally no news since the Game Awards, we have all been hoping for general Nintendo direct as of this month, but honestly, this couldn't have been any better. Trying to keep hype levels at minimum, but after so long with no news it's kind of hard not to.
Slow down, this isn't the end game. This is the build up to the first movie's climax.
Endgame is the post-pass when we see what lies ahead for us.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

You say that but I've seen the Persona characters on pretty much every internet group I've been a part of since like 2007 or 8, is say they are pretty popular at that point.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Regardless of who gets in Smash, there's bound to be people who'll get touchy and exaggerate how well-known a character is whenever said character's image is questioned. In all honesty though, I don't think there are any DLC characters added in Ultimate who are close to being on the same level as Smash 4's base roster third-parties. I think most people can at least agree with that.

Even with all the GotY stuff, Joker is still relatively new, and I know quite a few people who never heard of him or Persona until Smash.

A lot of people outside Japan know what Dragon Quest is, but I don't think they'd actually be able to tell you the names of the four Heroes.

Banjo is mostly nostalgia. Those who didn't grow up with his game probably picked it up thanks to Smash speculation.

I myself don't know much about Terry or SNK games, but I know "Who is Terry Bogard" became a popular search on Google shortly after his reveal. Clearly I'm not alone.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Y'know, it's pretty amazing the actual character hasn't been leaked yet (until the character gets announced)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Never underestimate how ignorant people can be, I saw "literally who" when it came to Joker, despite the fact his game came out in 2017 and was a major GOTY contender that year.
Weird, right? It's almost like there are people who:
  • Don't play JRPGs
  • Don't watch the game awards
  • Don't have a PlayStation
I'll admit, I still have no idea who Joker is, but I hear about games mostly from irl friends, who don't play as much as they used to. Thus, the franchises I know really are the ones I've been into for a while now, and I don't really check out ads much, and if I do, it's probably for something I'm interested in (medieval/fantasy). Add to that that I've got an Xbox, and yeah, I've literally never heard of Persona until it was announced for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom