• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultpiranha:: Completed = All the 3D Mario's, the New Super Mario Bros. series and the Mario Kart titles. I've played all the classic 2D games but I have yet to finish them.
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:: Completed = Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild. I've played Ocarina, Majora, Zelda 1 & 2, ALTTP, ALBW, Link's Awakening (Original) and Four Swords but I have yet to finish them.
:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:: Completed = Every 2D Metroid and the remakes, including AM2R (if it counts). I've yet to complete the Prime series, Other M and Federation Force.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:: I've completed every main Generation except for 7 & 8. I also am a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon series of which I have completed Red & Blue Rescue Team and the Explorer series. I have Super Mystery Dungeon but my 3DS is currently dead.
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultchrom:: Completed = Fire Emblem Awakening. I've played Fates, Binding Blade, Radiant Dawn, FE 2003 and Three Houses but have yet to finish them.
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:: Played Kid Icarus Uprising but I have yet to finish it.
:ultwario:: I played WarioWare on Wii once.
:ultness::ultlucas:: Played Mother 3 but I have yet to finish it.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Played all the classic Castlevania's, Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow but I have yet to finish them. If you count Bloodstained, I also played it but yet to finish.
:ultfalcon:: I completed the whole franchise. F-Zero X was the first game I ever played so I kinda owed it to myself to do so.
:ultrob:: Never played Gyromite. I played and finished Mario Kart DS, though.
:ultpacman:: Completed = Pac-Man World 2. I played the original Pac-Man, Pac-Attack and Pac-Land, though I have yet to finish them.
:ultshulk:: Played Xenoblade Chronicles and XCX, but I have yet to finish them. I do not own them so it's gonna be some time before I do.
:ultsnake:: I own the entire canon series and have completed Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Rising. I've played all the others but haven't finished them yet.
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:: I've played Star Fox 64, Adventures and the original one but I haven't finished them. I do want to get around to playing Assault, though.
:ultinkling::ultinklingboy:: I completed Splatoon 1. Yet to play Splatoon 2.
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:: I completed Super Star Ultra and Kirby Air Ride. I have played the Amazing Mirror and Return to Dream Land but I have yet to finish them.
:ultlittlemac:: I played the original one and Super Punch Out but I have yet to finish them.
:ulthero:: I played the demo of Dragon Quest XI.
:ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:: I actually own Wii Fit and have played it.
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:: Am not a fan of this series unfortunately. No desire to play any of them.
:ultbanjokazooie:: I played Banjo-Kazooie but I have yet to finish it.
:ultcloud:: I played FF7, FF6 and Dissidia but I have yet to finish them.
:ultduckhunt:: I played Duck Hunt on Arcade. Quite fun.
:ulticeclimbers:: Played the original through the Brawl masterpieces.
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:: Finished Donkey Kong and Jungle Beat. I have played Donkey Kong Country, Returns and Tropical Freeze but I have yet to finish them.
:ultjoker:: Played Persona 5 but I have yet to finish it, though considering how many times my sister has, I know that game like the back of my hand.
:ultsonic:: Completed Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. I played the classic games (1, 2 & 3 and Knuckles) but I have yet to finish them.
:ultryu::ultken:: Played Street Fighter 1 (yikes), 2, 4 & 5. I also played Street Fighter X Tekken.
:ult_terry:: I played Fatal Fury 1 and I played a demo of King of Fighters 13.
:ultbayonetta:: Completed Bayonetta 1 & 2.
:ultolimar::ultalph:: Never played this series. Just Smash.
:ultmegaman:: Played Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X but I have yet to finish them.
:ultyoshi:: I played Yoshi's Island DS but I couldn't finish it because I lost the game.
:ultgnw:: Never played his games. Just Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The only thing that seems sketchy to me about it being Dante because of the twitter post is that I cannot think of a single time Nintendo has hinted or allowed people involved to hint a character ahead of time.
There was one time I remember the day before E3 where Bill Trinen hinted at something Metal Gear Solid related happening.
inb4 someone misses the point hard and replies that this tweet is just a dad joke

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I have to point out the hand gesture reminds me of a Kamen Rider transformation gesture, and in NMH3 Travis is introduced as a pastiche of Kamen Rider Decade (with the suit, style, and the Just a Passing Assassin line)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Tinfoil Hat Conspiracy time: Nintendo specifically requested to Capcom that they lay out vague hints at Dante's inclusion so that leakers and insiders who afterward claim Dante is in looks like bandwagoners without a shred of credibility. Leakers can't leak Dante (or any future character) if people think they're bandwagoners and don't take them seriously. Galaxy-level IQ gambit!

I don't believe it myself but these theories are good for passing the time with.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I'd think that Dante won't be the next dlc character but will be announced at the smash direct (cause Sabi said he's not FP5 and there's all these things about DMC and january 16).

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There was one time I remember the day before E3 where Bill Trinen hinted at something Metal Gear Solid related happening.
inb4 someone misses the point hard and replies that this tweet is just a dad joke

didnt literaly nothing happen after that

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The cynic in my Edelgard-wanting self feels like even with her being heavily-promoted, that still doesn't stop Byleth's protagonist privileges and Japan's HUGE fixation with avatar characters. I would LOVE to be proven wrong here, but damn it the one time I want a FE character: I groan and remember that reality is cruel. My only hope is that if a FE gets added: Sakurai and even Nintendo realized how utterly bland the FE side is aesthetically AND mechanically (I don't give af if Byleth's whip-sword and brawling profencies can distinguish them, an avatar swordie is STILL an avatar swordie).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think regardless of who gets in, we should expect the fifth character to get Hero & Terry levels of backlash's/ "Literally Who" comments and said backlash disappearing on the characters launch day. Like no matter who it is, even if it's someone as recognizable as Dante or even Doom Guy, it'll still happen somehow.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I get the feeling one of the front runners will either be shown off or soft deconfirmed as mii costume or spirit. If Resident Evil and Astral Chain got a spirit event several months after release then no one is safe lol

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So this is it!

Dante vs Travis Touchdown, who will win?

Neither of them because Sgt. Cortez is gonna shoot them down! If he can't be Fighter 5 then no one can. He'll make Sakurai announce that all potential Fighter 5 characters are getting mii costumed!

Get-down-2.gif

SKX31

Smash Master
The only thing that seems sketchy to me about it being Dante because of the twitter post is that I cannot think of a single time Nintendo has hinted or allowed people involved to hint a character ahead of time.
That said, the only way we'll for sure have an idea is if Nintendo screws up again. And IIRC they did wisen up from the SNK copyright blunder.

Also, in an unrelated-but-interesting-and-possibly-telling-news:

Genshin Impact caused a major stir in China last year, since it was seen as a BOTW clone* - first for PC / mobile, then to the PS4 - by the Chinese developer Mihoyo. Some Chinese Zelda fans did not take it well: with protesters gathering outside GI's showcase booth and one going so far as to smash his own PS4 in front of the booth. So the fact that the same game is now coming to the Switch was pretty much seen as massive irony. With commenters both in the Twitter thread and in Chinese social media suggesting that the same person should break his own Switch now.

I don't think the game itself is the most telling part though - instead, I see it as Nintendo continuing their China push, what with them working with more devs there.

*(I've talked about this game in this thread in the past: I've mellowed out a bit since, but I hold firm in my opinion: it really looks a BOTW clone gameplay-wise. Mihoyo has a history with clones, although there have been recent attempts to clamp down on the cloning there. The setting and story though looks a bit more original than that. If you're interested in an anime BOTW while 2's still in development, this option exists.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why is hideki kamiya retweeting every viewtiful joe smash post from the fighter 5 post?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why is hideki kamiya retweeting every viewtiful joe smash post from the fighter 5 post?
He could be happy to see people supporting Viewtiful Joe.

Uhhhhh

papagenos papagenos you May have Ben right about Arle
And this could be because he's a fan of Smash. Not every retweet necessarily means that a character's getting in.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It could be anybody, but the nature of the reveal certainly lends itself to a lesser-known character, as that's exactly the kind who would benefit most from this format as opposed to the usual cinematic trailer hype reveal.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think regardless of who gets in, we should expect the fifth character to get Hero & Terry levels of backlash's/ "Literally Who" comments and said backlash disappearing on the characters launch day. Like no matter who it is, even if it's someone as recognizable as Dante or even Doom Guy, it'll still happen somehow.
Oh that’s a given.

At least whoever it is won’t get Bayonetta/Corrin levels of salt since there are still more possibilities in the wings, but then again we don’t even know for fact that we’ll get another entire season.

I know I’m one of those people who don’t know many characters; I only have seen 1/4 of the characters so far outside of this site (and played 0/4 of their games). Understandable since we don’t all have the same taste in games or follow news from several companies simultaneously. Some of us are Nintendo-focused, some stick to PlayStation or XBox or PC, so what’s really familiar to one of us is a literal who to another. Heck, even half of the names people are throwing out are characters I don’t know, but I’m sure there are people who have never heard of Skyrim as well so I’m not going to get annoyed.

For me, yeah I’d like someone recognizable (or better, someone I’ve played the game of), but I also look at the stage and music as well before I decide to buy. I’ll always go back to Ike for this, and Robin’s trailer made me excited for him. Not to mention the characters like Ridley or Banjo who I recognize but never played their games.
But yeah, I would like to finally get one DLC character who I know from their home series...please...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The Puyo Puyo Tsu stuff is definitely suspicious, especially as she's a Japan request so to follow up her reveal with an in-depth look at how important that game is in Japanese arcades would definitely be a great way to easily mitigate that "who?" comments she would inevitably get. I'm thinking this character is a lower key reveal so Arle would definitely fit that. But I would also never count Bandai-Namco out so it's Don-chan time baby

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Arle is like a top ten want for me, which is exactly why it ain't happening, lol.

I already used up all my good luck getting Joker in.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
A good moment as any to remind everyone it's been 84 days since this post:
Vergeben said:
I have been busy so I missed some of the madness. But I am looking into who it is.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Y'know, remember how Kamiya asked Sakurai where the Viewtiful Joe Mii costume was after last presentation, and Sakurai laughed it off?

And now he's retweeting all the pro-Joe comments??

Dante for post-pass with a Joe Mii?!

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
All of my most wanted characters(Reimu, Dante, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, KOS-MOS) are ones that are considered unlikely due to different factors and ones I had people mock me for because they aren't the "Typical" wanted characters.

So I know unless it's Wright or Dante, there'll be some backlash. Hell, even if it is one of those two there will still be backlash. So either way I have controversial tastes in Most wanted.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Imagine if FP5 is Nintendo

and if Spring Man, Rex and Officer Howard didn’t make it, they’re probably not from 2017 afterward (with a possible exception of Octoling)

it’ll be someone from 2016 or earlier...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Y'know, remember how Kamiya did ask Sakurai where the Viewtiful Joe Mii costume was after last presentation, and Sakurai laughed it off?

And now he's retweeting all the pro-Joe comments??

Dante for post-pass with a Joe Mii?!
Don't do that.
Don't give me hope

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
All of my most wanted characters(Reimu, Dante, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, KOS-MOS) are ones that are considered unlikely due to different factors and ones I had people mock me for because they aren't the "Typical" wanted characters.

So I know unless it's Wright or Dante, there'll be some backlash. Hell, even if it is one of those two there will still be backlash. So either way I have controversial tastes in Most wanted.
Everybody have controversial tastes.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Well guys and dolls, have fun these next 48 hours. I'm gonna peace out again with the hopes that I'll avoid any legitimate leaks and be pleasantly surprised by this long-awaited reveal. Don't worry, I'll be sure to swing by after the fact to celebrate with the small fraction of you who will actually be happy with the choice before reading through the seemingly endless pages of unbridled fury the rest of you will not fail to deliver!

(Here's hoping it's someone at least the majority of fans can rally behind, like my girl Ammy...what can I say, I'm a naive optimist!)

Before I go, though, thanks for the laughs these past few months. The bizarre toxicity I've witnessed on this site has been something to behold, but somehow y'all managed to reign it all back in with some lightheartedness and quality memes.

huh.jpg

Krankees

Smash Ace
Can't wait to spend the two day wait by suppressing my bias so I can keep an open mind.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I just really hope we get a confirmation of how post-pass content will be handled, if not in this live stream maybe in a direct soon or some other announcement.

I don't want to left guessing how they'll announce future content, hopefully another fighter pass but if not then they should specify what they're doing instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom